3

Rise of The Dead || Reader's Choice

Before I could do anything, Mr. Kim raced over to save his kid and took off.

“Mr. Kim!” I called as I bent down to help Taemin, “Please help me!” He just looked at me, wide-eyed and set Jongdae down, rushing back over. Just briefly, I could see Sehun with his face buried in Luhan’s chest while the other comforted him. If I were 12, I’d definitely be doing that too. I regret growing up to be the person I became. That wasn’t the time to be thinking of such things! I mentally slapped myself and got back to the task at hand.

Mr. Kim was desperately trying to move the tractor, but it was just too heavy. The man was quite skinny anyway. In frustration, I stood up and pushed with him. Finally, the tractor moved off of Taemin’s leg; He groaned in pain. His leg was bent unnaturally and the bone was sticking out of the skin. I felt like barfing, but I held it in; though, I could hear someone else upchucking behind the house.

Right when I thought it was too late, Mr. Lee came out with his gun (what took him so long?) and began blowing zombie brains out. I was surprised that he didn’t actually hit his son, seeing how close they were. The zombies screamed in agony and fell limp against the fence. One twitched and Mr. Lee shot it… twice!

Mr. Lee rushed over to his son, checking for any bites; none. All of us sighed in relief, but Mr. Lee turned to us with stony eyes.

“Get out,” he growled.

We didn’t even ask why, but I went over to Sehun and Luhan, telling them that we needed to get going. Luhan was gently rubbing Sehun’s back as the little one was still getting rid of his breakfast. Once he was done, he wiped his mouth (gross), looked at me, eyes red, and smiled.

“I’m ok, Yifan.”

“That’s good,” I smiled and hugged him, “Well, we need to get going. Mr. Lee didn’t exactly like Jongdae running his son over with a tractor.”

Sehun’s eyes grew wide and he latched himself to Luhan, “I don’t want to leave Luhan!”

“I wouldn’t want to burden his family-”

“If you guys really want to come with us, you can. You wouldn’t be a burden at all. Our RV is a bit vacant. It looks like you need a place to go anyway,” Mrs. Kim said. Sehun squealed in delight and thanked Mrs. Kim about 20 times. She just smiled and nodded, telling him that Luhan needed the company.

~

So, while I sat next to the sniffling Jongdae who kept saying, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” Sehun was busy showering Luhan with little pecks all over the pretty boy’s face.

“I didn’t mean to… I never intended to… to…” I turned to Jongdae and patted his head. Despite what he did, that was in the past and we have more important things to worry about. It’s not like he could change anything now. We were far from the farm and plus, the sniffling was starting to get on my nerves.

“It’s ok, Jongdae. Don’t cry anymore. There is nothing you can do about it now. What happened in the past can’t be changed. So please, don’t cry.” Jongdae looked up at me with large, watery brown eyes that had crocodile tears falling. Why did I have to be so weak to kids?

“Y-you’re not angry?” Jongdae wiped his runny nose and sniffed loudly.

“Why should I be?”

Suddenly, Jongdae flung his arms around me and smiled, “Yifan is such an awesome person!”

“Hey, kid, it’s not that big of a deal. No one will blame you for it now,” I chuckled and pried the little devil kid off of me.

A few hours later, Mrs. Kim had put Luhan, Sehun, and Jongdae to sleep on the bed in the back. Not a surprise, Luhan and Sehun were tightly hugging each other and poor little Jongdae was shivering on the side. Since there wasn’t anything else to do, I covered myself with a soft blanket, provided by Mrs. Kim, and fell asleep on the couch.

~

After what seemed like only 10 minutes, I was awoken by none other than Jongdae who couldn’t help but poke my cheek.

“Hey there, you little devil,” I chuckled.

“Yifannie, play with me! Luhannie and Sehunnie are too preoccupied with wedding prep to play!” Jongdae did a bit of aegyeo and pouted. Sometimes, I feel like it is unfortunate that I had a soft spot for the little guy.

“Alright, Jongdae, I just let me brush my teeth.”

I swung my legs over and groaned. My body ached all over and I felt so old. Reluctantly, I headed to the bathroom and as I passed the back room, I got a glimpse of Sehun. He was smiling widely while he covered his cheeks. Then, I saw Luhan give him a little peck on the lips. Aw man! The two 12 year olds had a better relationship than me!

“You hurt my baby Sehun and you’ll regret it,” I called to Luhan and chuckled when I heard Sehun groan, “You stink, hyung!” Just briefly, Luhan’s cheeks became a tomato red as he buried his face in Sehun’s chest. I merely smiled and headed into the bathroom.

I looked like a wreck! My hair was sticking out every which way, I had dark bags under my eyes, and my breath smelled like garbage. Doing my best, I fixed my hair so it was decent, and brushed my teeth with a toothbrush provided by Mrs. Kim; of course she would keep extra in an RV.

When I exited the bathroom, Jongdae immediately latched onto my arm.

“Hey there, Jong.”

“Yifan, do you think I’ll find someone like Sehun?”

Jongdae’s question had taken me aback, but I just smiled and told him that there was a match for everyone.

“Hyung is lucky to have a hubby like Sehun,” Jongdae pouted and kept doodling on a piece of paper I had found in a cabinet. I peeked over Jongdae’s shoulder at what he was drawing and it had surprised me a bit. It was a picture of his mom and dad with a heart between them, Luhan and Sehun with a heart between them too, and Jongdae drew himself off to the side with only half a heart drawn. Then, he drew a big question mark next to himself.

“You’ll find that person, Jongdae. Don’t get too down.”

“Does Yifan have a special someone?”

I chuckled, recalling the memories of my step-brother, “I guess so.” Then, Jongdae drew what looked like me next to another with a heart between us. “Zitao has short, black hair.” I said, and Jongdae took a black crayon and colored in hair.

“I’ll find someone! He’ll have beautiful features like Luhan hyung and be as loving as Sehun. I can’t wait, Yifan!” Jongdae erased the question mark and drew a stick figure, trying to put those features on it.

“I can’t wait to meet him, Jongdae.” I patted the boy’s head and continued to watch him draw himself and the special someone he couldn’t wait to meet. It was a sad sight, but I had to be optimistic, so I agreed.

~

Another hour later, and we finally stopped at an abandoned grocery store called Doormart. Everyone left the RV, happy to stretch their legs with a little walk. After getting all situated, we made our way to the door. The automatic doors slid open with a squeak and we were grateful to see that the store hadn’t been taken over just yet.

Unfortunately, our luck had run out and we heard the doors squeak behind us and a moan from someone that definitely was not alive. It’s unfortunate that the actual store was locked with the grate. It’s obvious that someone had already taken over the store.

In all panic, I yelled into the closed store.

“Hey! Is there anybody there? Please help us!”

None of us were armed, which wasn’t our best idea, and the only means of defense was the shopping carts. In fear, Jongdae clung to my left arm, and Sehun cried in Luhan’s arms, saying something like, “I don’t want to die! I’m too young! I haven’t even gotten to properly marry Luhan!” Geez, kids say such weird things in times of distress.

When things began to get out of hand, Mister and Missus Kim each took a shopping cart and began ramming the zombies with them. It had made such a ruckus that we could hear footsteps running towards us. Quickly, they unlocked the gate and let us slip under. Mist and Missus Kim fortunately made it too.

Once all of our heart rates were normal, the two who helped turned to us.

“I’m Joonmyun and this is Yixing.” The shortest said, pointing to the more spaced out and taller one. The brown haired one looked kind of stupid, the way he kept looking wide-eyed at everything as if he weren’t from our world.

“I’m not as stupid as I look, ok?” the one known as “Yixing” said, as if he read my mind.

“So, we introduced ourselves. Who are you?” Joonmyun crossed his arms and tapped his foot. He was a lot feistier than he looked.


A/N: Ugh, finally. Took me long enough. Sorry for the wait! I've been feeling so lazy lately. I rarely get to my computer, and when I do, I do other things instead. I sincerely apologize for my lack of inspiration. 

Also, if you didn't get it, Doormart is just my version of Walmart. Get it? Wall-mart? Door-mart? Get it?