1

Rise of The Dead || Reader's Choice

In broad daylight, cars zoom down the highway, as if nothing is wrong. Inside the back seat of a police car sat me, Wu Yifan. Apparently, I had committed some huge crime called driving too fast. Wow, what a criminal. Though, I had been caught many times before for doing the exact same thing. I guess the police finally decided they had enough of my and had me arrested. The place is way too ed up for my liking. Now, this middle aged police officer started talking to me, asking me stupid questions like we’re best friends!

“So, do you have a family?”

“Of course I do.”

“It seems to me like you weren’t raised right.”

I stayed silent, a bit pissed. My parents had raised me just fine, thank you very much!

“So you’re 16?”

“Yeah, so what does it matter to you?”

The police officer shook his head, “you teenagers go crazy before you even get past puberty.”

“Damn right we do.” I mumbled, fumbling with the annoyingly tight, cold cuffs around my wrist. Why were they even on? Did he think I had a gun? These grown-ups are, just, so frustrating.

As the officer kept boring me with his stories of his many, many girlfriends, ahead was a figure stumbling across the road.

“Watch out!” I yelled.

The officer swerved off, but still hitting the person, the road and down the hill. The car rolled down, tossing the both of us around it. Then, I felt something hard hit my head and everything was dark.  Just barely, I could open my eyes. All I heard was the sound of a shotgun and the police officer. Before I went out again, I had just barely picked up on the sound of growling.

The next time I opened my eyes, I was fully awake. My head was throbbing like hell and it seemed that I had broken my leg, bone sticking out, and it was oozing red, smelly liquid. Looking around, I took inventory of the situation. I was lying on the roof of the flipped car and it was partially crushed. Fortunately, the window looked cracked enough to break.

So, that’s exactly what I did. Moving my unharmed leg, I smashed the glass with the bottom of my shoe. More cracks appeared as I kept banging. One foot wasn’t enough. Reluctantly, I moved my left leg and together, both had enough force to break the glass.

As any normal person would do, I climbed out, more like shimmied, onto the grass. Have you ever tried standing up with a broken leg, bone sticking out? Well, if you haven’t, it hurts like ing hell. When I peered over the police car, the officer was lying on the ground, blood dried to his body and there was a trail of it smeared behind him. Whoever it was must’ve ed him up pretty bad.

“Hello, officer?” I called. He didn’t respond. He looked pretty beat up. I figured he was dead, so I didn’t call again. Using the car, I leaned the weight off of my left leg and hobbled around with some difficulty. I had hand cuffs around my wrist for ’s sake.

Anyway, I reached the shotgun, and with some difficulty, I picked it up and there was only one shot in there. Using the gun as a crutch, I made my way slowly to the officer. When I got closer, I nudged him with my foot. Attached to his belt was the key to my cuffs!

After unlocking my cuffs, the officer groaned. Maybe he was alive!

“Officer, are you alri-?”

Just like that, from the ground, he started grabbing for my feet, eyes rolled back in his head. Definitely NOT normal! Out of panic, I held the gun to his head and shot. The noise echoed in the empty area, making the birds fly from the trees.

“Hey, officer, are you alive?”

Man, how stupid was I? I had just shot his head off and now I’m asking if he was alive? Maybe the common sense was knocked out of me. The shot had attracted some unwanted attention. Just my luck, more of these weird people who look like they wanted to rip me to shreds!

Well, I had no more shots and I ran, well, more like hobbled, my way up the hill. As I got closer, I saw a tiny figure standing there, looking at me.

“Help!” I called. The person turned away, that little .

The higher I made my way up the hill, the more houses I could see. Coming up to a fence, I painfully swung my leg over and landed on the other side. The monstrous people kept banging on the wood fence. At least they didn’t know how to climb!

I sighed, walking up the porch steps and knocking on the door. The house was dark, so I expected no one was home, but I still had to try. 

“Anyone home?”

 No one answered so I assumed that nobody was hiding out or anything. Time to search for anything to help my aching leg!

Nothing, absolutely nothing useful in this damn house! This hurts worse than that stomach ache I had in 8th grade. That day, I had never so much in my entire life. My mother had said that’s what it felt like to have contractions. Glad I’m not a female! 

I opened every drawer and cabinet, but found just plates and bowls. Every thing in the fridge had rotted and wouldn't do me any good. I would definitely get major diarrhea and I didn't have a shovel to dig a hole to take a dump in. Well, I'd rather leave a dump rather than take one, that'd be disgusting! Think about how long my hands would smell like my own ! God, that's just disgusting! 

Speaking of disgusting, when I checked in the bathroom for a first aid kit, someone must've not flushed the toilet because there was a fresh brown terd floating right in the middle, dying the water a disgusting green-brown color. Why does everything I do have to relate to ? I have a really unfortunate life... 

Anyway, I had listened to this one recording on the phone that sat atop an expensive wood cabinet, blinking wither three new messages. It had talked about these couple being away and their child; apparently Sehun, was left at home with a nanny. By the third message, things had gone wrong. The recording was then cut short. Next to the phone, I saw a picture of a happy family. Mom, dad, and adorable little son, jet black hair, which I guessed was Sehun.

“Must have to do with those weird monsters…” I thought out loud. Then, a gray walkie-talkie crackled next to me. On the other side was the voice of a young child.

“H-hello? A-are you there?”

I picked up the device and pressed the rubber button, “Yes, hello, who is this?”

“I’m up in the tree house. Come up! They can’t climb.” I could hear the nervousness in the boy’s voice as he talked. He couldn’t have been more than 12. It baffled me how such a young boy could survive this long without help. The caretaker must’ve become one of those things, zombies. I looked out of the window and the boy was looking over the window. It was the same jet black hair in the picture.

“Look out!” he yelled into the walkie-talkie.

From behind, something grabbed me and pulled me to the ground. It smelled like and was making weird growling noises. Hastily, I removed myself from its surprisingly weak grip and kicked it in the face. The thing’s jaw was barely hanging on and its hair, more like her hair, was thinning quite a bit. She lunged for me again, trying to bite me, but I kicked her again. Suddenly, I heard a cough behind me and someone handed me a hammer. It would be quite useful, if I do say so myself. So, I smashed the woman’s head in and dug the sharper end into her eye. She reeled back, obviously in pain, before falling to the ground.

“es be crazy.” I muttered. Then, I stood up, wiping as much blood as I could and turned to the boy. He barely came up to my shoulder, must’ve not hit puberty just yet, and his face was splattered with blood. He looked way to innocent to have blood on his face, seriously now folks. 

I crouched down and cupped his face, wiping the blood from his cheek. He didn’t flinch or move back, just stayed rooted to the spot, looking at me with his large brown orbs. Damn, why are kids so cute these days?

“Thanks, I needed that hammer.”

“You’re welcome!” He smiled cheekily, eyes turning into crescent moons. Oh man, I just wanted to squeeze him so hard! He was just too adorable!

“So, what’s your name? How old are you?”

"Oh Sehun, sir! I’m 12!” There was no way in hell that this adorable little guy was 12.  

“Call me Yifan. You make me feel old when you call me ‘sir’. I’m only 16.” I chuckled, ruffling his hair.

“Sorry si- Yifan. I thought you were 20 or something!”

“Do I really look that old?” Sehun nodded innocently. I couldn’t be mad at him! How could I be? Although I would’ve loved to have a long chat with him about my age, we had to get down to business.

“So, Sehun, where are your parents?”

“On a trip somewhere. I was left with a caretaker lady! She was so nice and fun! All the time, she would let me play with her soft hair, but then she was infected by one of those things.” Sehun pointed to one of the zombies outside of the window.

“I see, I see. How long have you been living on your own?”

“Three days, at the least.” Was I out that long? Damn, I must’ve gotten hit pretty hard. This little kid, surviving three days without any help of a grown up? I can barely even escape the cops, let alone walking dead things!

“Wow, I wouldn't be able to do that if I were a child.”

“I’m not young! I’m 12!”

“That’s four years younger than me, little one.” Sehun huffed in frustration. 

“Touché.”

I chuckled and patted his shoulder before glancing out the glass window behind him. It was getting somewhat late and we needed somewhere to stay so we wouldn’t be eaten.  

“Where are we going to stay?” I asked as we walked out.

Near the fence, we saw two guys trying to push a car. Maybe they could help us!

“Hey!” I called. Both turned their heads and shushed me. The one pushing the car had dark brown hair and was pretty skinny to be pushing something so large. A few feet away from him was another guy crouched behind a car. He had blond, almost white, hair and was nervously peeking over the rusted vehicle. Carefully, we got the the small wooden fence and I opened the gates, making our way over to them.

“Hi, I’m Taemin. This is my friend, Jonghyun,” said the one pushing the car. The way he said his words were smooth and perfect; almost too perfect for my liking. He must've been one of those popular kids when he was in school. I despise popular kids. They always make things too dramatic and more complicated than they actually have to be! I remember I heard about these two people, a boy and a girl who really liked each other, but didn't start dating because the girl's friend had liked the guy. If I was her, I would've said, " you, I'm going to date him. If you're a good friend, you'd be supportive. If not, then screw off." People just need to be more straight forward. Though, I digress.

“And what are you doing?” I asked, looking around at the blocked road. Cars were everywhere; on the side walk, in front yards, crashed into one another, and there was even one in the side of a house!         

“We’re trying to move this car. Don't wanna be caught by those things are over there.” Taemin pointed behind him and sure enough, the walkers were making their way to the car. “I’m going to my family’s farm becuase it's basically out in the middle of nowhere, but I’m just having a bit of trouble moving this car. If you want to join us, just help me move this.”

“Yifan, what if my parents come back? What if they’re looking for me?" Sehun asked, tugging my sleeve. He was making the cutest face ever and for the first time in my life, I felt like fangirling. Just 'cause I'm a 16 year old boy doesn't mean that I can't fangirl. Taemin and Jonghyun looked at me; I could tell that they, too, wanted to hug the little fella! 

“You’re choice little one. Either we stay here or we go with these nice people.” 

"Well, better make a decision fast, they're getting closer!" Jonghyun whisper shouted and Taemin nodded.

"So, what'll it be?"

 


A/N: Choice A, go with TaeMin and Jonghyun, was majority vote. I hope you like this style! I think it'll be good because sometimes, I feel like the readers aren't interested in my stories ^^ So, getting you into it more with the choices, well, I hope you like it!