A farewell trip

Say Something

Eric P.O.V

Eh? How did it become like this? We are now in the car, it’s past 3 a.m. and it’s snowing outside. Ah, why didn’t I wear thicker clothes? I’m going to get a cold like this...So cold.... Where are we going anyway?

 

-30 minutes ago-

 

I was bewildered when you started to throwing pillows and yell at me. I was even more surprised when you suddenly dashed into your bedroom and come out fully dressed, with a small travel bag a few minutes later. Then, you pushed past me, taking my bag with you and wordlessly walking out of your apartment.

I hurriedly followed you. You kept walking, taking the elevator down to the parking lot and walk again to my car, but still no words from you.  What’s going on in your mind right now?

 

We’re going on a trip. A farewell trip

 

You suddenly announced. I felt a little pang in my heart at the farewell word. This is it. We’re really breaking up. We’re going to become just two strangers who had nothing to do with each other. Just two face in the crowd.

 

Get in. I’m driving

 

-Now-

 

I stared at you, who had eyes fixed on the road. You look surprisingly calm now despite your tantrum just 30 minutes before. There are still some tears stains on your cheek. Just as I held up my hand to wipe those tears away, you suddenly brake and stop the car at the road side.

 

Wear this

 

You roughly handed me a white muffler from your bag. I silently mouthed thanks and then you continued driving, eyes back on the road.

At times like this, you still take care of me, Kyo. You are such a good person. This is why we can’t continue to be in this relationship. I can’t keep you away from your happiness. You deserved so much better.

Being in this relationship for 14 years, I couldn’t help but feeling grateful to you. You’ve put up with my weird antics, sharing my laugh and tears, and accepting my affection even though you don’t really love me.

I thought that it would be fine even if I was the only one in love. I thought that my love was strong enough, big enough for both of us. I thought that someday, miracles will come, and you will open your heart and love me back. But, that was only an illusion. Somehow, I’m getting tired of waiting. I just can’t do this anymore.

And I know it’s wearing you down too. Lately, you seem to be avoiding me. You won’t even let me held your hands anymore. You always seem tired and dazed whenever we meet. And you’ve always have this troubled and guilty expression whenever you’re looking at me.

A week ago I found out the reason why you’re acting like that. I saw you and a girl in a coffee shop, happily talking to each other and holding hands. You look so blissfully happy, wearing the biggest grin I have ever seen on your face. That girl looked equally happy as well and kept animatedly chatting when suddenly you pulled out a black box in front of her.  She was so happy and immediately hugged you. It certainly looked like a scene out of a movie, a proposal scene. You both look so perfect together that I couldn’t bear to stare and stay there any longer.

That night was the worse night of my life. It must be hard for you to tell me that you’ve found someone you truly love. That is why the next morning I woke up with a new resolution; to make it easy for you by letting you go. Yes, I loved you enough to let you go.

So please don’t make it harder for me. I don’t even know why I agree to go with you on this trip. I don’t want to make even more memories which will remind me of you. It was supposed to be my own farewell trip, I was supposed to drown in sadness, get drunk and cry my heart out at some beach, away from you. Ah, my tears are going to come out again...

 

Don’t go around saying break-up so easily when you’re going to look like that. You know, I really hate that part of you. Stop acting like some pathetic, noble hero when you don’t even fight in the battle yet

 

Battle? Fight? Hero? What are you talking about? I stared at you in confusion.

 

Come out, we’re here

 

I silently followed you outside the car. Huh? This place...Why we are here?

 

Prepare yourself. This is going to be a long night

 

You said with a smirk. Somehow, I get shiver all around me...