I

My Not So Charming Prince

Victoria bursts through the door.

“AMBER!” she yells childishly. Amber is sitting on the couch in the living room, twiddling on her touchscreen phone with her legs crossed. “What do think about my outfit?” she asks Amber. Not caring, Amber gives a breathy reply,

“Looks great sis.” not bothering to look up. Victoria punches the couch, startling Amber and making her drop her phone onto the floor.

“Not funny. This is my special day. Can you at least act like you care?” she growls with an icy glare. Amber suddenly grows pale and this time, looks closely at what Victoria’s wearing. Victoria slowly stands back up on her feet and gives a warm smile like nothing happened. She did a couple of twirls, showing Amber the front and back of her dress. She wears an ankle length, puffy pink dress. The dress slightly sparkles when she twirls showing her glass high heels. “Well?” Victoria asks as Amber tilts her head left, then right, carefully examining the dress.

“Congratulations sis. Your dress looks exactly like Cinderella’s expect it’s pink.” Amber says in a monotone voice. Then she picks her phone off of the ground and continues with whatever she was doing previously. Victoria lifts up her right foot out of her shoe and then jabs her bare foot into Amber’s face. Amber drops her phone again, letting out a cry of pain and disgust. She falls backward on the couch and regains her balance again, making sure that her nose isn’t broken. Victoria puts her foot back in her shoe, crosses her arms in anger and turns her back towards Amber.

“Aigoo! What the heck is wrong with you? That was a compliment!” Amber exclaims in a whiny voice.

“That is no compliment. You insulted my dress!” Victoria barks.

“Well, you asked me for my opinion, so I gave it to you. What more do you want?” Amber protests.

“Don’t worry so much about it Vic.” Luna says gently with pleasant grin, walking into the room.

“Luna’s right. You look beautiful.” Sulli giggles in.

“Thanks guys.” Victoria laughed. Ignoring everything, Amber reached down to pick up her phone again.

“Great. You destroyed my phone. Thanks a lot Vic.” Amber glared.

“Why aren’t you changed yet Amber?” Sulli asks.

“Were you expecting me to?” Amber shoots back.

“No. Not really. But at least wear something a little more formal.” Sulli replies.

“Wear a tuxedo if you have to Amber. Not that.” Luna says as angelically as possible.

“What’s wrong with casual clothes?” Amber complains.

“Everything.” Sulli says with a sigh. “It’s your sister Victoria’s coronation! At least show some respect for it. It’s a semi-formal party.”

“Sulli’s right.” Victoria adds. Changing the topic, she asks, “Where’s Krystal?”

“Still doing her make-up.” they all mumble together in sync.

“Of course. Did I really have to ask?” Victoria sighs. Then Mr. Choi, the princesses most trusted adviser, suddenly walks in.

“Miladies, the coronation is starting in 10 minutes.” He reminds them, bowing.

“Thank you Mr. Choi.” Luna greets. He gives a brief bow and went on his way. Then she turns back to Amber. “You better change into something more formal within the next 10 minutes.” Luna orders. Disgusted, Amber gets up and heads for the door. When she walks past Mr. Choi, she dumps her trashed phone in his hands.

“I need a new one. Please and thank you Mr. Choi.” he bows his head understandingly and Amber ran for her room.

“Geezes Luna.” Amber mumbles to herself as she opens the door. Servants have already been waiting patiently in her room. Heaving another sigh, she braced herself for the worst. “Just to be clear, nothing too tight, too sparkly, too glamorous, or anything that will draw attention. And most importantly, nothing too short.” she stated a mouthful before they started. Nodding, they got to work.

Within minutes, the servants has backed off and are leaving the room. You’ll be surprised of how much they can do in 10 minutes.

Amber was in a beautiful dress.This dress had a royal look without drawing too much attention. Her hair is kept the way it already is but was refined to look silky and smooth. Her make up was very basic. A little bit of mascara and lip gloss. And as a finishing touch, she wears a sparkling jewel necklace with a jeweled outline of a heart. Wow.’ Amber thought. She took a closer look of her reflection. She didn’t look like Amber anymore. In fact, she thought that she looked like a complete stranger.

Heaving a sigh, she dipped her head down and headed for the door. Just then, there was a knock on the door.

“Yes?” Amber called out.

“Miss.” Mr. Choi says. “The coronation is about to start. Are you ready yet?”

“Yes.” Amber replys opening the door. Mr. Choi nods his head gestures her towards the grand hall.

“This way.” Mr. Choi says.

“Thank you Mr. Choi.” Amber says before leaving. Mr. Choi nods again before following after her.

Everyone else has been waiting in the room. Keeping her head up and her back straight, Amber walks to her place, standing next to Luna, supposedly facing Krystal. But she’s not where she’s supposed to be. Raising an eyebrow, Amber slightly leans over to Luna.

“What’s with Krystal?” Amber whispers. Luna gestures her head in front of her, signalling her to look in that direction. Amber slowly stands straight up again then looks in front of her.

Krystal gracefully walks in and gets into her place next to Sulli. Just then, the bell signalling the start of the coronation rings. They all shift their bodies towards the audience and angled themselves into a “V” facing the audience so that all their faces are seen and that they don’t take away too much attention from the main event, Victoria, who is standing in the middle. The audience gets up as Korea’s national anthem fills the room. Everyone was invited to sing along. Most of the audience did sing but all of the princesses preferred to stay quiet.

Once the anthem was over, the audience got back into their seats. The bishop then came into the room, in front of Victoria, and started the reading. He talked about things of royalty, the king and queen’s last words and things that appear on the bible. After that, the bishop walked backwards behind Victoria as one of his servants hands him the royal family sword that has been passed down for generations. He holds out the sword as Victoria turns around and places her hand on the sword. He made Victoria do a vow by repeating his words before stepping onto the steps behind him. Victoria then kneels on one knee as his other servant presents the queen’s crown on a red felt pillow. The bishop carefully takes the crown off of the pillow and presents Victoria as the queen of Seongnam, Korea.

All this time is wasted on his stupid talking just to wait for this simple moment and placing a crown on sis’s head? Ugh.’ Amber thought. Just as she thought that, she spots Prince Key sitting third row across from her. Amber stares at him, shocked at how close he was sitting. This didn’t take long for Key to notice. He makes a small wave with a gentle smile, making her tense up. She feels a rush go through her head. Luna glances at her and notices that Amber is blushing. She gives Amber a slight grin and then returns her attention back to Victoria.

Afterwards, he bishop raises his voice saying,

“All raise to the crowning of queen Victoria.” Startling Amber, she focused her attention back to Victoria. Everyone gets up out of their seats as Victoria turns around to face the audience. Victoria gives a relieved sigh and smiles while everyone claps for her. Soon, the bell rings, signalling the end of the coronation and everyone flushes out of the room. The sun is setting, giving the sky a soft orangey colour. The new queen and princesses walk out together, giggling and laughing. Victoria then stepped on Amber’s foot.

“Aigoo! What was that for?” Amber screeched.

“You deserved that!” Victoria shouts teasingly. “Not only did you not pay attention during the coronation, but your eyes wandered off to a guy sitting in the audience!” Amber felt her face flush with red again.

“I noticed too.” Luna says.

“Who? What? When? Where? Why?” Krystal asks all at once.

“Details girl!” Sulli teases.

“Calm down! It’s no one.” Amber shouts in frustration.

“A ‘no one’ huh?” Sulli teases, making quotation marks with her fingers.

“You were blushing Amber. Please.” Luna adds.

“Now tell us, who is this, special someone?” Krystal asks. “I should probably steal him from you.”

“Ay! Don’t you dare Krystal.” Victoria says.

“Well, if he is enough to make our I'm-too-cool-for-boys Amber blush, then he must be a good one.” Krystal says.

“That’s true.” Sulli adds. “Amber never really pays attention to boys. What made this one so special?” Amber is completely red now. She’s so red that she doesn’t even know whether she's red because of embarrassment or anger. Maybe both.

“Enough guys!” Amber explodes. “No matter who he is, it’s none of your business! Now out of it!”

“Ooo… She’s mad now.” Sulli teases.

“Guys! Just… let me be and leave me alone!” Amber yells. Then she storms off back into the palace.

“Awww… I never got a chance to tell her how nice that dress looks on her.” Krystal whines.

“I think so too. For a girl who doesn’t dress up often, she looks really good.” Luna says.

“I think she even looks better than you Vic.” Sulli giggles.

“You didn’t dare!” Victoria yells back. Soon, an argument full of laughs, teasing and running around breaks out between the four.

Back in the palace, Amber stares at her own reflection with fingers laced together on her make up table. I-it’s not like I…. like him… right? I only met him once last week. In-in… Then she made herself blush about him, flashing back to the place where she first saw him. The scenery, the time, his angelic smile...  She ruffles her hands in her hair, frustrated and confused.

... Oh god…