Chapter 13

The True Reason - Book II

After we talked about my plans on going to North Carolina soon, I had asked Tiffany if she could give me the address of Jessica's place there. I found out from her that they weren't living in a city but in a rural province, instead and I kind of wondered why did they choose to live there and not in the city.

 
 

Tiffany gave me some information about their state of living there and I found out that the three of them - Tiffany, Seohyun and Jessica were a broker in a real estate company. It just happen that, Tiffany got transferred here because the company branch in North Carolina recommended her to transfer in a larger real estate company which was here in Korea.

 
 

I was relieved, I had to admit that.. Jessica and.. her child were okay there..

 
 

"Do you want to see Albie's picture?"

 
 

Albie? Who's he? Tiffany must've notice the confusion that was written on my face, "Oh! Sorry-sorry. I forgot. Albie is Albert Joseph. It was just his nickname."

 
 

Oh. It was the boy's full name. I guess. "Ah. O-okay.." I didn't know, why because suddenly I got nervous. But I think, I have to see him since, I'm going to North Carolina soon, anyways.

 
 

She took out her phone from her blouse's pocket, then scrolling something on it and I think she was already looking for the boy's photo, "Here.. This is Albie. But his real name is Albert Joseph." She said as she hand me the phone. And I could sense the admiration her voice, though.

 
 

Even though, I still haven't seen the picture, yet, I could already feel my hands were slightly trembling as I reached the phone from her hands.

 
 

How do I put this into words?... A strange feeling that sent through my nerves when I finally saw the boy's face - his bright face..

 
 

A solo picture of him that was taken by, I think, Tiffany and he was been told provably to pose for the picture, but he exchanged it for a smile, instead..

 
 

I also noticed one thing.. there was a Rubik's cube in his hands..

 
 

Maybe because he also likes to play it? I didn't know. I don't have an idea.

 
 

And is it okay for me to say that, I felt some kind of.. some kind of connection when I saw the picture? And other than that, I had this strange feeling, that I suddenly felt.. slightly happy..

 
 

I was wondering if why I suddenly feel like this, until I heard someone faintly calling my name, "Amber?"

 
 

I guess that maybe, she had been calling my name, because I saw the concern and worry in her eyes, when I look up at her. "Are you okay?" She asked.

 
 

I really didn't know what has gotten into me. I feel so.. lost. "Y-yeah.. I am.. Okay"

 
 

"Hm. Okay, then." She sighed, nodding. "Um, do you still want to ask something? Um, can we talk about it some other time, because it is already 1 o'clock. My break is already done. I have to head back to the company."

 
 

Oh. I guess, I didn't notice that. I take a look at my wristwatch and it say 1:00, "Nothing. You can go now its okay.."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

"Babe. Are you okay? I feel that you're not here with us."

 
 

I blinked. Looked up from the plate, that I didn't notice I was staring at it for too long, until I heard Soojung spoke.

 
 

Somehow, I didn't catch what she said, but I was certain that she called me. "Huh? What do you want, Soojung? Do you still want to order something else?"

 
 

"Baby.." She said softly, reaching out to hold my hand on the table. "Are you okay? You were spacing out. Is there something wrong?"

 
 

"Appa, what is wrong with you? Did something happen, appa?"

 
 

I didn't even notice that I was spacing out, since earlier until they told me. "O-of course, I am okay! I am just exhausted that's.. why. But, I'm okay."

 
 

And I knew that they would not believe me, especially Soojung since she was giving me this I-doubt-it look that I couldn't help but to avoid it.

 
 

After my conversation with Tiffany at the coffee shop earlier, I immediately went to the mall, since today is our 'so-called' family day, which Soojung and I promised to ourselves that we're going to it every Sunday.

 
 

I just didn't notice that I also brought my confusion on spending my own time with my family. It was such a shame, I know and I should be happy and must be enjoying right now, that I'm spending time with Trish and Soojung after my days of tired work. But instead, I kept on thinking about Jessica and that.. boy -- Albert Joseph.

 
 

"You didn't finish your food, babe." I followed the direction that Soojung was pointing at and my eyes landed on my plate and she was right - I didn't even finish it, and as stupid as may it sounds, I just realized that I ordered something. Sigh.

 
 

"It's okay. " I said. "Actually, I'm still full. Because.. Manager hyung and I .. ate earlier."

 
 

"Appa! Let's go buy the doll house! You said you're going to buy it for me, right?" Trish butted in, which I sighed in relief because she changed the topic.

 
 

"Okay, but we have to ask umma if she's done, okay?" I said and she nodded. I turned my head to look at Soojung and expectedly she was staring at me with a smile on her face. And if, I could say it, it wasn't just a smile. I frown. She was.. sad, "Soojung."

 
 

"..Y-yeah. I'm already finished. We can go now to the toy store" My heart tugged because the way she said those words, I knew that she was just hiding her sadness by replacing it into a cheery one. She doesn't want to show her sadness to Trish and maybe she doesn't want to show it to me, also..

 
 

"Appa, come on! Umma said that she's already done!"

 
 

"Uh, y-yeah.. come, let's go." I chanced to look at Soojung but she wasn't looking at my direction as she stood up on her chair and pick Trish into her arms. She quietly walked away with Trish, leaving me alone here in the table.

 
 

What the hell is happening to me?