Part Three: BEST MAN

Leave My Heart Behind

PART THREE – BEST MAN

 

I thought I had lost my reasons to smile, but I thought it over.

The girl of my dreams with my best friend – I should be happy for you. So I was, in front of a fake mask of course.

The fact that he was my best friend for five years gave me a sensible reason to let you go. It sounded alright, but everyone has an invisible rope tied around their ankle – and harshly, without warning or consideration – it pulls them back when they want to run away the most.

To this day though, I still stick by the acknowledgement that not setting foot off the cement beside the bus stop post was a good idea. It was good that I went directly to meet the two of you at the café you had asked me to go to after receiving the so-wonderful, unbelievable good news.

When I sat down, the new relationship was officially revealed and I saw your smile. That smile. The one I thought would always be mine, and only mine.

I swear the new feeling of bitter sweetness at the time is now a habit – but for then – it was still fresh, and as painful as anything else.

“Great. I’m happy for both of you.” I fake a smile to conceal my sadness.

Seconds later, the bitterness increased to an ultimate level.

Be my best man, were the exact words. The coffee in my mouth nearly splattered out. I let out a deep chuckle at first, before agreeing. As much as it hurt, saying yes meant I could force myself to move on, knowing you are in safe hands.

If only…