Chapter 5

Not So Perfect Me. [Editing]

 

6th June 1995

 

"Daddy, where is mummy going?" Little seven years old Jaemi asked one day as she watched her mother walk out of the house with a big luggage. Her father remained quiet. She watched as her mother and her two younger brothers enter a taxi and leave.

"Where is mummy taking Hyunsik and Hwanmi deongsaeng?" She asked again, looking big eyed at her father, who just shook his head and went into his room.

The little girl stood there in a daze before looking down hesitantly and walking to her own room. But when she passed her father's room, she heard him talking. On the phone perhaps? She leaned nearer to the door and pressed her ear on it.

"Yes, she took the boys with her." He spoke. "I don't know, but I'm keeping Jaemi." Then a pause as he listened to the other person speak through the line.

"No, she's my daughter. I want to keep her." Pause. "The boys are my sons, but I don't care about them. Look, do you want to come or not?"

Another long pause before he sighed. "Good. Come now. I want to see you."

Little Jaemi leaned away quickly and tip toed to her room before her father could catch her eavesdropping. Not that she knew what he was talking about, or who he was talking to. But something told her that things were going to be very different from now on.

Nothing was ever going to be the same again.