Prologue

Let Her Go (JeTi - on going)

I wrote this two days ago and just read it once. I can't bother editing since I prefer just moving on with the next chapter. So please do pardon my errors. :)

 

 

PROLOGUE

 

 

 

Looking through the panoramic window, Jessica, who wore her glamorous white wedding dress, frowned as she she watched the rain fall and listened to droplets of water pitter patter. Was the world mourning with her, she thought. Not wanting to remember anything from her past, she moved her gaze from the grey ambiance the outside offered to the more comfortable one inside this bridal waiting hall. Her eyes landed at her father, who was laughing with a couple of their friends and relatives. Like always, they all looked sharp in their tuxedos. Then again, it was rare for her to see them in casual clothing since most of them were business people or politicians. So this was considered part of her norm; especially today for this glorious occasion.

 

She sighed, thinking if this union would really bring peace to the only person she really loved. Honestly, there was nothing left for her to do in order to protect her beloved but to succumed to this marriage. She couldn’t believe what she was doing; however, seeing how her father was happy about this, how her relatives seemed to be content, and how she could protect that person she loved, this was worth whatever pain would come her way from today on.

 

“Jessica!” her mother called as she hurried to her side; she held her blue gown with both of her hands as she was careful not to trip. “Your wedding’s starting soon. Let’s hurry.” she said as she combed the loose hair by Jessica’s ear, tucking it in. “I told the hairstylist to put more hair spray.” Jessica giggled a little as she recalled her mother’s nagging earlier; the stylist was overwhelmed by her presence that her fingers were shaking whilst working on Jessica. However, she knew the woman was the best there was out there and she did a great job with her hair and makeup. Jessica was the most beautiful she could be, but she honestly didn’t feel the best she could be. “Call the stylist and have a last minute touch-up on Jessica before she walks down the aisle.”

 

Jessica sighed. “Mom, let’s not harass the stylist.” She placed her hand on her mother’s shoulder, trying to calm her down. “Any more of those deadly sprays, you’ll send me to the hospital for my asthma.”

 

“Jessica, alta sociedad.” her mother chimed. It wasn’t like Jessica could forget what that meant since her Spaniard grandmother drilled that in her head from young. She had always been trying to keep face being from a prestigious background, but she cared so little about that now. That contributed so little to her decision on this marriage anyway. With tears in Missus Jung’s eyes, she cupped Jessica’s face and said, “Honestly, Jessica, I’m happy that you picked Dong Wook. Sure, his family is not as politically connected or as rich as Taecyeon’s, but he’s a really good man that we can’t complain.” She softly smiled at Jessica, and there was this guilt in the pit of Jessica’s stomach that was starting to stir. She and her future husband simply were in a deal. In order for their parents to be happy and for her lover to be free, they basically made a pact to help each other out. That was why she picked him over Taecyeon since she couldn’t stand being around that man for ten minutes, yet alone be married to him. “I wish you happiness,” her mother said as she looked her in the eyes. Knowing she couldn’t avert her gaze, she simply looked at her mother, wearing her lips slightly curled up and trying to her best to make it seem like a passing smile.

 

“Jessica!” Sooyoung was running towards her as she carried the bottom of her gown to ease her strides. “Why are you still here? It’s starting really soon. People are even starting to gather there.” She looked around and saw her father leading them to the main hall of the cathedral.

 

“Where is the stylist?!” her mother looked around, hoping any of the help would be able to answer.

 

“Mom, I look fine.” Jessica then looked at her mother’s assistant and said, “Tell her I’ll have my retouch later for the reception,” with a smile on her face. “Mom, get ready for the march.”

 

“Can I talk to Jessica for a minute?” Sooyoung looked at Missus Jung, bowing politely as she paid respect. The older woman smiled at her and informed them to get ready as soon as possible, which they both said they would do so. When they were finally left alone, they started to walk towards the aisle, taking their time as they both knew this was the last time they would freely be able to talk to whatever happened in their past. Sooyoung wanted to make her best friend realize how bad of a decision this was so she asked for the nth time since she heard of this wedding, “Are you sure about this?”

 

Used to hearing this, she then smiled softly at her and said like she always did, “This is for the better.”

 

“And you don’t care how much Tiffany’s hurting because of this?”

 

Honestly, she cared so much and that was the reason why she was even wearing this dress in the first place. Had she not cared for her former lover, she wouldn’t try to throw everything she loved. “You know how hard it is to be together with someone like Tiffany, right?”

 

Sooyoung sighed. “You know, it that I understand why you’re doing this, but I’m still not for it.”

 

Jessica looked at Sooyoung’s eyes with her tears threatening to fall; it was a good thing that this was a wedding since her makeup was done with waterproof products, but she really didn’t want to cry for the same reason once again. “Then what should have I done?” Seeing this, Sooyoung brought Jessica into an embrace, letting the latter pour her emotions before it overflew at the altar. “Sooyoung, tell me what should have I done? Because I can only set her free from herself or me by making her believe I fell out of love.”

 

“But shouldn’t you have talked to her?”

 

“And say what? She doesn’t understand. She’s ready to leave her family and her inheritance for what? Me?” Just remembering Tiffany’s standing in this society, even more so of Jessica’s family’s fortune yet less than the latter’s political influence, Jessica couldn’t allow her beloved to sacrifice everything simply for love. Tiffany was someone who grew up with everything handed to her in a golden platter, who was cared for since birth until today, who never lifted a finger, and she dare say she was ready to leave that life for love? Not wanting to be the reason to ruin the former’s family, she arranged to this wedding with her friend. “We both are in no power to chase after what we love, so it’s better like this.” Jessica pushed SooYoung lightly, standing straight as she fixed herself and wiping the side of her eyes, ridding the tears. “Our college love story ends with this marriage.”

 

-----

 

I hope you guys liked it as much as liked writing it. Obviously, this is a prologue so it's a glimpse of the turning point of the story. :)

 

I'll post the next chapter sooner or later~ hahaha

 

Comment? Concerns? Questions?