What's A Little Serenading Between Buddies?

Dimple(s)

As Myungsoo flips through the pictures, his eyes grow wider and wider, because in nearly every picture, Yixing is taking a selca doing various sensual things. The first is one of him kissing Hello Kitty, which is innocent enough, but the next is him Jongdae's cheek while the man holds up red nail polish and laughs. Next is a picture of Yixing with his bottom lip lightly dragging across the top of Myungsoo's foot after the nails had been painted pink. There are plenty of pictures of Yixing draping legs over various people and making kissy faces at the camera, but it seems like there are more of Myungsoo than anyone else.

 

A video comes up and he glances at Yixing nervously before playing it. Smiling at the camera is the both of them, laying in the sand and looking up to where Yixing holds the phone.

 

“Myungsoo promised to call me Lay and I'm recording it!” the Yixing in the video explains happily.

 

The Myungsoo in the video laughs and calls him stupid. “Lay! Lay, Lay, Lay! You happy?”

 

“Super happy!” he replies, sneakily landing a fast kiss on the man's cheek while he flinches away.

 

The next photo is of Zitao being kissed by Yixing on the cheek, but the twist is that Myungsoo was giving the man a peck on the other side. Curiously, the video after is of Yixing convincing Sunggyu to call Tao “Kris' boy toy” and the man being chased by the seriously angry martial artist. Sunggyu receives a swift kick to the in the video while Myungsoo wonders how things had gotten so friendly after that.

 

Another video comes up and he plays it without a second thought. It's just Myungsoo on camera, drinking a beer and laughing as Hoya and Baekhyun try to connect on a telepathic level, shouting answers to questions on the count of three. They get four in a row in sync and surprised, the Myungsoo in the video leans against something solid that happens to be Sungyeol's back. Based on the bright color and chaos on the phone, this must have been when Myungsoo pushed Sungyeol nearly into the bonfire.

 

The last item in the gallery is a selca taken by Myungsoo while Yixing kisses his neck.

 

“Well...”

 

“Pretty wild, huh?” Awkwardly, Yixing rubs his neck and smiles shyly. “Listen, I understand if you want to call this promise off and never see me again.”

 

Taking up his guitar, Myungsoo says, “What's a few awkward memories between buddies?”

 

“So you're okay with that?” Yixing asks him. “My drinking habits haven't scared you off?”

 

“Actually, this is all pretty hilarious.” Myungsoo chuckles, strumming a few chords on his guitar. His hands just refuse to stay still and his foot twitches nervously on the floor. Those images of Yixing being so... friendly seem to be imprinted behind his eyelids and the memories behind them are still trickling in. “You're a kissing monster as a drunk, but I wouldn't mind going out drinking again. With you, I mean.” he says quietly. “You're a lot of fun, Lay.” Somehow, this is the truth. Myungsoo is okay with a kissing monster of a buddy.

 

Joining him on the floor, Yixing studies him. “Can I hear that song you prepared?” he asks after a moment's pause.

 

“Of course.” Clearing his throat and flexing his fingers, he starts.

 

The song Myungsoo had practiced for this moment is a sad song, chosen for it's beautiful melodies. It spoke of loneliness and lost hope, empty days and broken hearts. Really, it had been the only song he wanted to practice since his failed attempt to ask Sulli out. He strums and plucks single strings and strums again, lightly singing along. His heartbeat slows and he feels his face relax out of the easy smiles Yixing always seems to pull out of him.

 

Mid-way through, a second voice joins him quietly. He didn't know that Yixing knew this song. His heart jumps at the surprise, but he continues concentrating on his fingers.

 

At the last verse, Myungsoo's eyebrows shoot up on his forehead as the quiet singing suddenly becomes loud caterwauling and wailing. He looks up and sees Yixing laying on the floor, feigning deep depression. When the lyrics stop and the guitar continues for a couple more bars, Yixing makes loud sobbing noises.

 

“That was pretty.” he says at the end, face instantly bright again.

 

“Yeah?” Myungsoo's heart is thumping proudly in his chest for all those extra hours of practice. He chews his lip and hesitantly drags his case over to start putting things away.

 

“Wait. Can you play me one more song?”

 

Just for the fun of it, Myungsoo begins playing the theme to a popular anime he likes, eliciting a few laughs from his friend.

 

“Not like that. Another pretty one.” Yixing explains, sticking an arm under his head to pillow it.

 

“Sure-” Myungsoo starts before realizing something. “The only other songs I know well are all love songs...” he admits apologetically. Being a hopeful romantic had both consequences and perks. He had years of learning guitar under his belt, but all just to impress girls. It had taken him a while to find that he really enjoyed the activity itself, but still, he had made it a point to learn as many love songs as he could so he could surprise some future girlfriend of his with a romantic event.

 

“Cool. I've never been serenaded before.” Yixing says with a smile.

 

Getting embarrassed at this predicament, Myungsoo covers his face in his hands, letting out a groan.

 

His friend laughs and pokes him in the knee a little impatiently. “Come on, Myungsoo. I'm waiting.”

 

Dropping his hands to the strings and closing his eyes, Myungsoo sings a song he never thought he would have ever shared to a male audience. The notes drop gracefully from his fingers with years of practice and hard work, easing into each measure and verse without any hesitation. His voice knows this song well and sings out each word with loving care.

 

“Wow.” he hears Yixing say.

 

Myungsoo's body moves with the music just slightly, nodding into the downbeat of each measure. He feels like the words of the song are slowly pulling on his chest and his fingertips tingle against the harsh strings.

 

Love is very strange. Myungsoo used to think that love and friendship were two very different things, but now he isn't so sure. People marry because they want to spend the rest of their life with that person, right? So wouldn't it only be logical to marry your best friend, to love your best friend?

 

Myungsoo has always wanted someone close at his side and maybe wasn't the greatest friend he could be in the past because of that. He put his girlfriends first on more than one occasion and his friends would tell him to it up and move on when the girl dumped him for being clingy. He didn't mean to cling. He just wanted to see if he'd found that one person he could spend a lifetime hanging out with. Marriage is for the future and he is pretty young for such thoughts, he knows. The thought of a perfect love is just too alluring.

 

Honestly, he doesn't know what to think about Yixing and exactly where the man fits in his changing views of friendship and love. Yixing is so caring to him and thoughtful as a friend. And don't they mesh well together? Isn't it easy and fun to talk to him? Isn't his heart immediately put at ease around him?

 

As he sings this melody of love and wishes, Myungsoo can feel a presence close in front of him and knows it to be Yixing. He's on the last verse and can hear him whispering along to the words close by. Too close by. The very last words leave his lips and still Myungsoo doesn't open his eyes, knowing what would happen if he did.

 

“Lay?” he asks quietly, and a warm hand with callused fingertips grazes over his cheek.

 

“What's a little kiss between buddies?” is the reply, a small breath of air ghosting over his skin.

 

Swallowing, Myungsoo finally allows his eyes to open and rest on the sweet dimpled smile mere inches away from him. He backs away in shock when the man moves closer.

 

“I'm sorry.” Yixing apologizes instantly and removes his hand, sitting back on the floor.

 

“Lay,” Myungsoo repeats, his pulse sounding loud in his ears. The air is suddenly really thin to him and he takes large gulps of it down. “I didn't- I, uhm-”

 

“It's okay. Just forget that. If you want to, that is. If you can.” Yixing moves to put more distance between them and Myungsoo stops him with a hand on the man's knee.

 

“I don't want to. More than anything what I think I really want is to- uhm-” It's really hard to finish that sentence with Yixing staring at him like that. He swallows again nervously. “I mean, I want... this, whatever this is. I'm just really not prepared and I'm scared out of my mind because this is new and this is different and I don't know what to do right now- Wow, I'm seriously going crazy.” In fact, Myungsoo's mind is spinning with how many worries and doubts were fighting for attention.

 

“You want this?” Yixing asks him, leaning in just a bit to hear the answer.

 

Yes. Myungsoo really wants this to happen. He stays silent, but his eyes give it away.

 

“New and different isn't always bad.” Yixing offers, edging in a bit more.

 

“But I'm afraid still, because what if different is really, really good? What if it's great and it's perfect and not everyone sees it like I do?”

 

“Would that really stop you?”

 

“No.” Myungsoo answers truthfully, instinctively moving his guitar out of his lap with his free hand even though he's still debating in his head. “What if this is everything I've ever wanted, because it's you and not anyone else, but you find out that I'm not what you wanted? What then?” he asks fingers twitching on the man's knee. Why is he speaking so vaguely? Myungsoo is frustrated with himself for this, but he can't seem to speak properly.

 

“Then I'd be the sorriest person in the world for having treated you so badly. But Myungsoo, I'm scared too.” confesses Yixing and that warm hand is back on Myungsoo's cheek, thumb absentmindedly his skin. “Maybe a hair less than terrified if I keep focusing so far into so many possible futures.”

 

“But if I think about only now, I'll end up kissing you," Myungsoo admits, swallowing back the butterflies that awoke from the touch. "because that's all I want to do right now. It's weird and it's all wrong. I've always liked girls. I just don't understand what's going on with me.”

 

“But for now...” Yixing prompts.

 

“For now,” Myungsoo echoes and he's moving his hand from the man's knee to hook around his neck. Impulsively, he matches their foreheads together and closes his eyes, feeling really happy in this one spot. “I really like you, Lay.” he whispers, and it's like his whole body agrees, instantly relaxing and willing him to move closer. “And I have a hunch that this feeling will never go away, even if I chose to walk out the door to spare my uality.”

 

“Do you want to walk out?”

 

Myungsoo nearly chokes by how heartbroken that phrase had sounded. “No.” he answers, squeezing Yixing's neck fondly. He looks him in the eye and adds, “Never.” Flashing a dimpled smile, he kisses those lips in front of him with reckless abandon. Everyone has an experimental phase in college, right? Only Myungsoo thinks he would be okay if this isn't a phase, if this were worth more than that.

 

Yixing would agree if Myungsoo were ever to voice those thoughts. Yixing used to think that love and friendship were two very different things, because friendship was made to last and love was made for the night. Having thoughts of Myungsoo stick around in his head day in and day out changed that. It wasn't just that he thought about him every once in a while because he was new to his life, but Yixing very nearly obsessed with wondering how he was doing, and thinking about the way he smiled so sincerely and laughed so beautifully and sang so sweetly and got embarrassed so cutely. If Yixing were a little more honest with the man, he would've revealed that he remembers a little more from the party than he let on. Everyone knows he's a flirty drunk, but his past experiences had all been relatively tame. Myungsoo is just so kissable. And really, all he wants to do for the rest of his life is create more moments to make him laugh and kiss him just like this.

 

Because this kiss is really, really perfect. Their lips keep moving because neither wants it to stop just yet. Yixing pulls the man closer by the sides of his shirt and Myungsoo responds by slipping his tongue past Yixing's lips. A whole new kind of rush floods his system at the sensation and he grabs onto Myungsoo's waist and forces him even closer. By now, their stance is a little unstable and awkward for sitting on the floor and they lose balance quickly so that Myungsoo hits the floor with his back and Yixing crashes on top of him.

 

Making the best he can with this new position, Yixing kisses the man's neck. It's kind of his new favorite thing to do, like a hobby.

 

But Myungsoo turns a lot more red than all the times before. Interesting. Very interesting. He kisses him again in the same spot, tongue dancing over warm, salty skin.

 

“S-Stop,” Myungsoo pants, pushing him away and Yixing worries he's taken it too far. Then he notices the mischievous glint the man's eye, far too late to save himself when he's pushed onto his back and pinned down. "Got ya." the man smirks before kissing him deeply.

 

When someone's phone buzzes across the floor, they both reach a hand out blindly, refusing to detach. Myungsoo catches the offending phone first and Yixing considers himself lucky because now he can go back to possibly making marks all over this cutie's neck.

 

“Our friends are bat- crazy.” Myungsoo informs him with some difficulty, showing him a picture message of a men's clothing store mannequin with a giant Hello Kitty head perched on it's shoulders using mass amounts of duct tape to hold it together.

 

A text comes in while he's laughing and he opens it. “Cross-dressing contest between Dongwoo and Chanyeol. Dimples One and Two, be there or be square.” Yixing reads with furrowed eyebrows. “Well, we don't want to be square now, do we?”

 

“Do we? Being square," Myungsoo kisses down his jaw. "might not be,” he continues with a few more kisses. "so bad."

 

Yixing is very inclined to agree when another text replaces the first and Myungsoo reads it for him. “Be there or else this will be sent to your college professors.” The man frowns as a picture message comes up.

 

"What?" With the phone turned towards him, Yixing sees a picture of the two of them in the hearse, but this isn't like the innocent picture on Myungsoo's phone of waist-holding. To his vast amusement, the Myungsoo in this picture has a hand on Yixing's jaw and is attacking the man's ear with his teeth"So, I wasn't the only one like this?" laughs Yixing, sitting up on his forearms.

 

"I don't even remember this! Your flirtiness must have rubbed off on me." Myungsoo snorts before moving away. “Still, let's get out of here.”

 

“Agreed.”

 

Sending a text informing their friends that they are coming while Myungsoo packs his guitar, Yixing thinks about all the awesome dates they could have in front of them now. He can't wait to get started.  “Wanna hit the arcade tomorrow?” he asks while the man hoists his guitar case over his shoulder.

 

“If we're still alive from whatever night our friends have planned for us, then yes. Sounds great.”

 

Yixing opens the door and holds out a hand for him to take, happy at the strong grasp of the other's fingers. “Cool.” he says, smiling a single dimpled smile, because his favorite two-dimpled smile is already aimed directly at him.

 

They walk out holding hands like this and occasionally bumping shoulders playfully, even when they come across their (less than) shocked friends. A group consensus comes to pass that the two are disgustingly cute and need to stop smiling such precious dimpled smiles at each other all day. A second consensus is formed that Jongdae has been secretly re-marking the mustache on his face to make it last longer, because permanent marker only lasts for so long on skin.

 

 

*****

 

 

Author Note:

The world is being overrun by flirty unicorns.

If you spot one in your area, try distracting it with food or promises of going to Baekhyun's grandmother's house and if that doesn't work, please find it within your heart to give it a Myungsoo. It would very much appreciate a Myungsoo to aim all it's affections towards.

That is all.

pics and gif from here