What's A Little Flirtation Between Buddies?

Dimple(s)
Drunken basketball is a very giggly, clumsy thing. Shooting would be easier if the hoop would stop blurring. Dribbling would be easier if the ground would stop moving. Keeping possession of the ball would be loads easier if the ball wasn't made of slippery butter.

 

Myungsoo feels great. He feels very much like he'll regret drinking when tomorrow comes around, but for now, he just feels really happy. Having a friend to look out for him when he's been (kind of) rejected is really, just super nice.

 

Even though he has six really great friends, they didn't talk to him like his problems were so important. Instead, they used his problems as an excuse to go out and party. Even if their intentions were to cheer him up, it would have been preferred if they had noticed that he doesn't do well in large parties and just tried talking things out or even just patting his back pathetically because at least they'd be right there at his side instead of off in different directions and only checking on him occasionally. Not that he's bitter about it. Much.

 

Yixing is different. Weird, but good different. When he isn't spacing out, he pays a lot of attention to Myungsoo and notices things about him that the man would have never even thought about. It's interesting. Refreshing.

 

Unlike this game. Myungsoo thinks this game is becoming far too sweaty and exhausting. Getting out the last of his frustrations had been good, but now he just wants to lay in middle of the court and regain his breath. In fact, that's exactly what he does.

 

The hard cement is cold under his sweat-stained shirt and it feels awesome. Myungsoo smiles and stretches out, content to lay here for the next few days or so. Joining him right at his side, Yixing lets the basketball roll out of his hands with a laugh. It's a nice laugh. So friendly and open.

 

It's the smile afterwards that gets to him. As Yixing turns his head and they make eye contact, the slow spread of that sincere smile aimed at him makes Myungsoo wonder what he did to deserve it. It's too full of trust and happiness and he really doesn't know what to do after receiving it besides smile back.

 

In a way, it feels like they had a mini conversation without saying anything, as if Yixing had asked him if he was having fun and Myungsoo answered yes. They both turn back to look at the sky, laughing giddily at the clouds that were turning pink-ish purple and it's as if Yixing has said, Good; me too.

 

 

***

 

 

Myungsoo can't wait to see Yixing again, but he only has one excuse left to call him out to play. He kind of wants to make sure he doesn't waste this by accident. It shouldn't be used too soon, but instead spread out after their last meeting to make their good relationship last longer. Myungsoo just doesn't know what kind of friends they'll be after this promise is fulfilled.

 

Not only that, but Myungsoo really wants the way he fulfills this promise to be special in some way. Just in case they go separate ways after this.

 

But they wouldn't separate, right? They're pretty good friends right now. Wouldn't they continue seeing each other often, just to hang out and talk?

 

Nervous, he makes sure the day he picks is entirely free of possible distractions and calls him up. When he started getting so nervous over this guy, he doesn't know, hoping it isn't a recurring thing in the future.

 

The location they settle on is the beach where the party was held. Where they met. His heart pounds with every passing stop the bus takes him on before reaching his destination.

 

The beach today looks beautiful and bright. He came an hour early because he was tired of waiting around at home for time to move. It's so calm out with only a few people casually strolling along the sand. Sunlight sparkles off of the ocean waves and Myungsoo thinks of them as thousands of fans in an audience taking pictures and waiting for his performance. The thought is empowering. The day couldn't have been more perfect. If only it had stayed that way.

 

When the grey clouds came and covered the sky, Myungsoo can't recall. Slowly, raindrops begin to drip down and make dark spots on the sand. He can't play his guitar out in the rain. Irritated at the change of weather, he calls Yixing.

 

“Myungsoo!” is the greeting, and he likes to think that it sounds pretty chipper.

 

“Lay!” he says back with the same amount of enthusiasm. “I'm at the beach a bit early and it seems like the weather is turning against us. Did you want to postpone our plans or maybe move them somewhere else?”

 

“I'd hate to postpone. I had nothing else planned-” There is a lot of weird noises over the phone that leads Myungsoo to believe that it is being passed or taken by someone else. In the background he can hear energetic voices.

 

“Hello? Is this Lay's boyfriend?”

 

“Excuse me?” asks Myungsoo, highly amused at the sound of a flustered Yixing reprimanding whoever had control of his phone.

 

The phone is passed to another person. “Are you the one who's going to serenade him at the beach?”

 

“Sehun, give me my phone back now!” comes a voice in the background. “I won't help you with your finals if you keep acting like this.”

 

Again the phone is moved and Myungsoo finds himself speaking to Yixing again.

 

“I'm sorry. Sehun and Kai just love to drive me nuts.”

 

“They were at the party, right?”

 

“Yeah, do you remember them? Hold on; I'll put you on speaker phone.”

 

“Sehun is the guy who taught Sungjong 'yehet', right?” asks Myungsoo, hearing his voice echo on the other side. “He never stops saying it now.”

 

“Yehet is a new trend everyone must know.” says a voice he assumes belongs to Sehun.

 

“I think I introduced Kai as Jongin.” Yixing thinks aloud.

 

“Yeah, the guy who messed with Jongdae.”

 

“That's the one!”

 

“But who are we talking to here?” says the third person, Jongin. “All I know is you two are lovers.”

 

“We are not lovers.” Yixing corrects them. “This is Myungsoo.”

 

“Myungsoo?”

 

“I don't remember a Myungsoo.”

 

“Come on, guys. Myungsoo was the coolest person there!”

 

The man in question actually doubts this very much, but smiles anyways as he searches for cover from the rain. He runs under the cover of a small shop awning.

 

“Honestly, I don't even remember seeing you there, Lay; besides being at the bonfire, that is.” says Jongin and Sehun agrees with him. “It's like you disappeared for half the weekend.”

 

“Back to the point; Lay, where should I meet you?” Myungsoo asks.

 

“Why don't you come here to our college practice room? Dance class already ended and Sehun and Kai have the place reserved to practice for finals. They wouldn't mind seeing you play too, right?” There's a bit of grumbling on the other side, but they agree. “Great. I'll text you the address. Come quickly! I can't wait to hear it.”

 

The call ends and Myungsoo waits patiently for the text, scouting the area for a close bus stop. When the little message comes in, it takes him but a millisecond to process what he's reading, because that address is very familiar. Getting excited, he texts Lay back.

 

We go to the same college?? Y havent I seen you there before?

 

He's relieved that he won't get lost trying to get there, but more than that, he's happy to find that this could be another excuse to see Yixing more. They could be college buddies - going out to eat after class, taking buses together, complaining about tough coursework. As long as Yixing wanted it too, they could be close friends instead of two people who happened to go the same party.

 

Myungsoo's phone buzzes while he boards the bus, and he takes it out before sitting down.

 

Wow, rly? Well Im a dance major. Maybe that has something to do with it?

 

Dance majors have different schedules than vocal majors, in case of overlaps for people who want to take both singing and dancing. So then when Yixing has classes, Myungsoo is free and when Yixing is free, Myungsoo has classes. Maybe the whole college-buddy-thing won't work out so well after all. Frowning at his phone, Myungsoo stews over this.

 

 

***

 

 

The dance practice rooms at Myungsoo's college are all spacious, well-lit, and have scuffed up wooden floors. He peeks inside the door of the one Yixing and his friends occupy, forgetting to walk in as he gets lost in watching them dance. They're amazing, all of them. He thinks that one day he should bring Hoya and some of his other friends who like to dance in here to prod them into having a dance-off.

 

They look so serious. And sweaty. Dancing is hard work.

 

The song ends and they spread out, Sehun flopping to the floor and Jongin heading for his backpack to grab a water bottle. Yixing remains standing, wiping off sweat with a towel around his neck. His eyes wander until they find Myungsoo at the door.

 

“Hey-”

 

“Ohh,” says Jongin in sudden understanding. “Myungsoo is Dimples! Yeah, I remember you. Kind of. You totally hogged Lay at the party, dude.”

 

Yixing shakes his head and ushers his friend inside. “Actually, I'm the one who wouldn't leave Myungsoo alone. He really is a cool guy.”

 

Myungsoo disagrees. “I can't remember a single cool thing I did that night.”

 

“You kidding? You sang, you danced, you accidentally pushed Sungyeol too close to the fire-”

 

I did that?”

 

“Yup!”

 

“Oh, hey,” Sehun interrupts, a finger poised in the air as he remembers something. “Weren't you the one who convinced Sungjong to steal the Hello Kitty head?”

 

“No, that was Woohyun.” Jongin corrects him.

 

“No, I'm fairly certain Woohyun wanted to steal the napkin holder at that convenience store and everyone thought it was too mild.”

 

“Why were we trying to steal anything at all?” Myungsoo laughs, sliding his guitar case off his shoulder. “I don't think I've ever done anything like that while drinking before.”

 

“Beats me.” says Sehun with a shrug.

 

“Hey, you guys keep Myungsoo entertained. I'm going to go wash up.” Yixing says in a hurry, grabbing his backpack and heading out. Myungsoo really doesn't know what to do now. Didn't Yixing mention that he shouldn't ever let himself be left alone with these two?

 

“Are you guys dating? For real?”

 

“Have you guys done it yet?”

 

“Who tops?”

 

“Who bottoms?”

 

“Is Lay wild in bed?”

 

“Is he into some really weird stuff? He seems like he would be-”

 

“Hold up, hold up, hold up!” Myungsoo stops them. It hasn't even been two minutes and these guys are asking questions non-stop. “We're not dating. We haven't had with each other. We aren't gay. So... there.”

 

“You sure?” Sehun asks, uncapping his water bottle. “You guys were pretty clingy all throughout the party.

 

“And there's some weird pictures on Lay's phone, man.” Jongin adds in.

 

“Weird pictures?”

 

“Ask him to show them to you.” he shrugs, packing his things away. “Hey, Sehun, you wanna leave these two alone? I don't want to witness their loving gazes, blushing cheeks, and all that .”

 

“Yeah.”

 

They both pack up and head out the door, leaving Myungsoo alone in the dance room. Sitting on the floor, he brings out his guitar and makes sure it's tuned correctly. His fingers idly trace the strings, sometimes tapping them gently as he wonders what kinds of pictures they could have taken during the party.

 

Suddenly wondering about his own phone, he brings it out and flips to the gallery. The first picture he sees is one of himself passed out and being squished between Jongdae and Yixing in the back of the hearse. Yixing's hand rests around his waist. He shrugs, thinking it could have been worse; his friends could have taken a photo of when the guy kissed his neck instead.

 

To his horror, it seems one of his friends had hi-jacked his phone to take multiple pictures of a very round, very bright . He must have deleted about twenty before coming across one of him and Yixing together, shots of soju raised and smiling dimpled smiles. A memory of that moment comes back to him, the snapping of the picture and voice beside him telling him that it turned out really good. Myungsoo sets this picture as his wallpaper, because it really did turn out good.

 

The next item in his gallery is a video and he almost feels afraid to play it. After a moment's hesitation, he presses play and hopes it's not someone getting sick. The first thing he notices in the video is that it's dark out and there's a lot of giggling in the background. The camera pans right and suddenly he's looking at a lit up Hello Kitty mannequin, his own voice urging someone forward.

 

“Oh my god.” Myungsoo laughs as he watches the head being pried off the body. “I made someone steal Hello Kitty's head. There is a special place in hell for me.”

 

He flips through a couple pictures of Yixing spray painting a purple unicorn across an empty street and Kris spray painting something... else. Honestly, Myungsoo isn't sure what it is. A dog in a party hat, maybe?

 

A second video is in his gallery and he plays it eagerly. Yixing's singing voice filters through the phone speakers, broken up a little by chuckling. The man's face is shown, smiling as he sings. It seems like they were walking down the street when this video was recorded. After a moment, Dongwoo walks in front of the camera, shouting and flailing his arms randomly just to mess up the shot. Idiot.

 

“Hey,” says Yixing's voice and Myungsoo looks up to see him come in wearing fresh clothes. A towel rings his neck again and he uses it to dry his wet hair. “Did the others leave?” at Myungsoo's nod, the man sighs. “This was their practice time. If they wanted us to leave, they should have said something. What were you looking at?”

 

“The pictures and videos on my phone. Some of it is helping with my memory.” He shows Yixing the video of him urging Sungjong to steal and second one that Dongwoo ruined.

 

Laughing, Yixing tells him to send those to him. “Those are definitely keepers.”

 

“Did you have any photos on your phone?” Myungsoo asks him carefully, setting his own cellphone on the floor to mess with his guitar again.

 

“Well...” Looking up, Yixing appears to be blushing. He isn't sure he's ever seen the guy blush before. “I think it's safe to say that Jongdae was right when he said I'm a flirty drunk.” Yixing admits, bringing out his phone and passing it over.

 

“Holy !" Myungsoo exclaims, laughing at the screen.

 

 

***

 

 

Author Note:

I made Myungsoo take buses even though he now has his driver's license because he said he doesn't really trust his own driving yet lol

But look at those dimples! Cute cute~

pic from here~