Chapter 3

Death Sentence

Seeing Hyesung lose control Eric didn’t know what to say, he has lost his family before and he knew how heart breaking it is. Nothing he says will be able to soothe Hyesung, so he gently pulled the trembling Hyesung into his warm embrace and waited for him to calm down.

A while later Eric felt that the trembling and sniffing had stopped, he looked down into his embrace. He realized that Hyesung has fallen asleep and tear streaks were still visible on his petite face. Eric’s heart ached for him; he seems so vulnerable in his arms. He brought up his hands to wipe the tears still streaming from Hyesung’s closed eyes and was surprised by the scorching heat on Hyesung’s cheeks. He hurriedly felt his forehead and realized he was burning in fever. He quickly laid him down on the ground and dig out the antibiotics he treasured.

“Hyesung wake up you are burning with fever, you’ll need to take this.” Eric gently shook Hyesung.

Hyesung groaned as he slowly stirred and looked at Eric with the expression of an injured child.

“Hey there, hurry take this.” Eric handed him the antibiotics and a bottle of water “We need to bring your temperature down fast” he continued as he walks over to his rover to fetch more clothes and a cloth to place on Hyesung’s forehead.

“Thank you so much Eric, I wouldn’t have survived if weren’t for you. And you are doing so much for me. The only person in the world who cared so much for me was Jinnie and now he’s missing. God knows if he made it to the border.”

Suddenly Hyesung jerked up “THE BORDER!! Oh , I gotta go now. I have to get to the border to meet Jinnie; he will be waiting for me there. If I don’t appear he may start worrying for me and go into town again. Oh no! I have to go NOW!” Hyesung tried to stand up immediately and was shocked by the sudden pain that shot up from his thighs and fell back again. Luckily, Eric caught Hyesung in time if not he might suffer another injury at the back of his head.

“Hyesung relax! With your current condition, you won’t be able to make it out of this cave. Besides, it night time now, it’s not safe to wander around the woods.” 

“But I need to find him! Hyesung cried. “I cannot afford to lose him. I’m all alone now and I cannot survive without him. He’s my protector since young, he’s my brother!” Hyesung covered his face with his palms and tears started gushing out his eyes again.

“I know, I know” Eric hummed and began to rub Hyesung’s back in an effort to calm him. The ache Eric felt for Hyesung just now was tugging at his heart again and this time it was so intense, Eric felt hurt physically. “We will look for him once you get better. I believe Junjin will still be waiting for you there at the border. He won’t leave without you.” Eric added to calm Hyesung but in truth he wasn’t so sure himself.

Hearing Eric, Hyesung looked up into Eric’s warm brown eyes “Really? You really think so?” Hyesung asked, still not believing himself.

Eric nodded and smiled. “Hyesung, believe me alright. Nobody in the world would want to leave you alone and you’ve got me now. I will look for Jinnie with you. So just rest okay? We need you to get better so that we can start travelling to the border.”

Contented, a weak smile played on his lips as he relaxed. How he missed this feeling; someone he could rely on, some hope that he could grasp. He never felt this way ever since he left the orphanage with Junjin. Even though Jinnie could protect him from all harm that ever come their way but he’s got others to protect too and Hyesung was worried for Jinnie. He was constantly afraid for Jinnie and himself. He cannot afford to lose him - his one and only family.

He was never good with handling strangers, Junjin was his shield, and he was the one that will push everyone away from their world because Hyesung liked it this way. So it was strange that Hyesung felt at ease with Eric; he made him feel protected and wanted. And to think that he only just knew this person for less than a day, Hyesung couldn’t believe it himself. Slowly, Hyesung drifted to sleep again with memories of Jinnie and him at the orphanage and confusing thoughts of Eric.

 Seeing that, Eric laid Hyesung’s head onto his lap to offer him more comfort while he changed the washcloth on Hyesung’s forehead. Instinctively Hyesung curled his body nearer to Eric and continued to sleep like an infant oblivious to the world.

Unknowingly Eric started to caress Hyesung’s petite face, it was so soft and smooth it felt like it belongs to a baby. He pushed away the wet strands of hair splayed on Hyesung’s forehead and for a moment he had a rush of emotions conflicting in him. He wanted to protect this person now curled up so peacefully on his lap, he never felt so strong for someone; not even the ‘girlfriends’ he had before hell broke loose.

Should he let this grow into something bigger then what he can control? All these years he did all can to avoid such relationships. The emotions are like vines, they grow in you, cling onto your heart and reaches deep into the very core of your existence. But it isn’t the time that he can let this happen, emotions make a person weak and that equals death. He should stop this now, he won’t let this happen and he needs to survive. When Hyesung gets better, he would wrench out the vines and do a clean break; even if it kills him and made him a scoundrel. “But… Eric… what’s your purpose for surviving then?” he questioned himself and that was the only question he won’t be able to answer. Eric broke away from his frustrating thoughts and looked down at Hyesung and realized that his arm was circling protectively around his captivator, “Quit deluding yourself” he mumbled to himself with a sigh.

Through the night Hyesung’s fever finally broke and Eric fell asleep on the cave wall with Hyesung still curled up on his lap covered protectively under the layers of clothes.

 “Jinnie!” Hyesung woke with a start and looked around. He realized he was in a cave and all memories of the day before came back to him. “Eric…” Hyesung whispered and looked at the sleeping form. “No… I shouldn’t drag him into this. He’s my savior, he has done so much for me, and I shouldn’t expect him to go through the danger with me to look for Jinnie, stop being so dependent on people” Hyesung scolded himself. “Thank you so much” Hyesung whispered touching his face, the stubble on Eric’s face felt ticklish on his fingers and he smiled “Goodbye…” Hyesung carefully removed the thick layers of clothing weighing on him and slowly made his way out the cave; limping. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys... thank you for the subscriptions. Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I'm enjoying writing it! :) Anyways I might do some slight amendments to the story cuz Im actually posting and writing at the same time. But no worries, it'll not affect the body or flow of the story.. Oh yeah... Comments are very much appreciated.. Cheers! :D