He's Just Another Boy

Smile Again

Nine out of ten babies are born crying, Jongdae was no different. But everyone could see that this child was something special. After the little crying episode, the baby was always seen with a smile on his face. 

That's my pride and joy. His mom had said while she cuddled up with his dad on the bed at night. I hope he always smiles.

 


 

Jongdae was three when he tripped over his lego blocks and fell onto the ground. He got a deep cut on his forehead and his mom was crying tears of worry. Instead of crying, though, Jongdae smiled, mumbled something like, umma, don't cry, and hugged his mom.

 


 

Jongdae was five when his mom found out that his dad was having an affair outside. He didn't understand it then. He only knew his mom would be crying silently in her own room at night, and he never sees his dad and mom smiling lovingly at each other again. Jongdae would crawl into his mom's bed late at night just to hug her leg like a bolster, and smile up to her as if he was saying. Mom, it'll work out fine in the end. I love you.

 


 

He was seven when his parents finally divourced. His dad gave the rights of bringing Jongdae up to his mom and left without another look at him. His mom took to drinking every night, and would only stop crying when she passed out, drunk. Jongdae's studies at school detoriated. But he continued smiling.

Jongdae always smiled.

 


 

At seven and a half years old, half a year after the divource, his mom committed suicide. Jongdae woke up in the morning to see his mom passed out on the sofa with white foam around . A bottle of pills and uncountable number of empty alcohol bottles were lying around. Jongdae didn't understand what was happening. He could only smile when the paramedics told him (in simple terms) that his mom wasn't breathing.

Social workers came and sent him to his dad's care. His dad gave him a disdaintful look, but Jongdae only smiled.

 


 

At ten years old, his dad had a huge fight with the woman while he watched. Like in a drama, the woman got hold of a fruit knife and slashed wildly, cutting his dad wrist by accident. Even after doctors tried to save him, twelve hours later, his dad died of blood loss.

The woman was sent to prison and Jongdae was sent to an orphanage. 

It took him four years after that, but Jongdae finally smiled again.

 


 

Jongdae was fifteen when he met the girl of his dreams. He boldly went up to her while in school and introduced himself. They got together, but he got dumped a few months later, the reason being he was an orphan and he was not rich.

He was hurt, but he smiled at her and thanked her for the wonderful times they had together.

 


 

Jongdae studied really hard and got into a prestigious college. He always thought he was straight until he saw Zhang Yixing. Yixing was everything the nerd wished to be. Mr Popular, the star player of the school's basketball team. Yixing was also the leader of the school's dance team, representing the school in competions and winning many awards. Jongdae found himself watching Yixing whenever he walks past. However, Jongdae never had the guts to talk to him. Nope, not Yixing, not when he had so people fawning over him.

Nope, Jongdae thought to himself while smiling at the useless thought. Zhang Yixing would never notice a nerd like him.

 


 

Jongdae was in his second year when he walked into Zhang Yixing, literally. The latter had helped him up and dusted of his clothes, apologising with his flawless smile. "Hey, I'm sorry, are you okay?" Jongdae couldn't believe his ears, nor his eyes. Yixing had snapped him out of his daze with a wave in front of his face. "Hellooooooooo? Earth to Kim Jongdae?" 

No way, Jongdae thought, no freaking way! Zhang Yixing knows my name? 

Jongdae smiled up at Mr Popular and nodded his head. "Yeah I'm fine.. I'll just get going now."

 


 

Many were green with envy when Jongdae and Yixing got together. Yixing was so sweet to Jongdae even though people were questioning what the jock saw in the nerd. Jongdae believed that he was the luckiest guy on earth, to be together with the one and only Zhang Yixing. He couldn't believe his ears when the older one asked him out. 

Everytime Jongdae thought of Yixing, he would smile like a fool.

 


 

They were in their last year of college when Jongdae lost his ity to Yixing. Yixing had initiated the during the graduation party he was throwing at his house. After what apparently seemed like too much to drink, Yixing had dragged Jongdae upstairs, half forcefully, half aegyo-ly, into an unoccupied room (the others were occupied with people having one night stands, we probably wouldn't want to walk in on them, Yixing had said, much to Jongdae's disgust), and pushed Jongdae onto the bed, hungrily kissing at his neck. 

Jongdae was reluctant at first, but gave in soon after and smiled into the passionate kiss seconds later.

 


 

It was only the next morning when Jongdae was dumped, again. 

Zhang Yixing had explained that it was a bet with his popular buddies. He had lost a game with Kim Jongin, Wu Yifan and Luhan and the three had made a bet with him as his punishment. The bet was to have with the nerd and leave him after, and Yixing had did it. 

"Kim Jongdae, you were only a game to us."
"All you were was a bet that I wanted, and HAD to win."
"Thanks to your gullibility, I have won in this game."
"The door is just downstairs, leave when you finish dressing yourself up."

Jongdae's eyes were wide with disbelief, yet he still smiled bitterly, touched gingerly at the spots that the elder had kissed just the night before, and picked up his clothes.

 


 

Jongdae had to endure teases when he went back to school the next day. His studies dropped, he lost his scholarship. 

To Kim Jongdae, his scholarship and Zhang Yixing was everything.

He had lost everything. 

He walked into the toilet and stood in front of the mirror with a penknife in his hand. Looking at his own reflection, he smiled grimly before digging the knife into his wrists.

Kim Jongdae never smiled again.

 


 

Today I'll smile like it's my last, because who knows what'll happen tomorrow.

 

 

And it's done! I lost my muse halfway due to my work so it might become a little dull :/ sorry!