A Boy

Counterbalance Between A Girl And A Boy
XSYKOTICA

He watches her from afar, knowing all too well that once she catches a heave of his shadow, she is going to disappear from his sight, right away. He knows how hard she avoids to even just feel his presence. Ever since he carries her unconscious body to the school’s clinic and eventually recognizes him as Minseok confirms, she always prevents him from seeing her.

A part of him believes that she herself realizes that there’s an unfinished business between them. And that’s a good sign which implies that there’s something going on between them. But at the same time, if she’s going to spend the rest of the school year evading from him, then he won’t be able to clear things out.

Lines of worry form on his forehead as he is thinking of the possible outcomes. He scans the volleyball court in search for her and is alarmed when she’s gone. His ragged breathing then ceases as he takes a sight of her, drinking calmly from the pink sports bottle. She just takes a break from the game.

“She knows that you’re still playing soccer so she is kind of unguarded today.”

He breaks the focus from her and looks up to see Minseok grinning down at him.

“You know, hyung, I suddenly regret letting her remember me.” He sighs and plops both of his palms on the grass beneath him. Instead of sitting comfortably on the benches near the volleyball game, he just chooses to stay there, in fear of losing her at that moment–not that she doesn’t slip from him already, he feels like it’s too painful having to lose her again and again.

“Idiot. Whether she recognizes you or not, she has the feeling that you reminds her too much of the boy from her grade school who has broken her heart. And trust me, girls’ instincts are mad in regards to these things. She’s going to avoid you either way.” The older boy points out as he also plunks himself on the green grass, beside him.

“Well, that makes sense…” Luhan agrees but later on stares at the hyung in disbelief, as he takes a recap of Minseok’s words. “And hey! I did not break her heart!” He argues. “I would never break her heart! She’s the one who has left me, you know that hyung.” He shakes the older boy, maybe even almost to death.

But Minseok’s lips stay pressed, as if there’s something he does want to tell him and doesn’t want to, together at the same time. He is informed about Seohyun’s close friendship with this boy whom he looks up with great respect. And he thinks it is a benefit in his part. However, he knows how loyal Minseok can be with his friends; and Seohyun is definitely not an exception. He is loyal to him – but then again he’s loyal to her also.

He lets go of Minseok’s collar by the thought that he might be actually the one who’s having the most difficult time among them. “I’m sorry Umin hyung. I know, I know…” He waves his hand dismissively. The other guy doesn’t react. It is kind of unnerving for him but that’s the best way to react in the meantime.

He looks back at the court, noticing that the game is back. A sudden idea formulates in his brain and the last thing that he know is he’s already walking up to the benches, few screams from the girls around the court and a weird stare from Minseok.

He watches the oblivious girl, all fired up in the court. He then distracts the opposing team, causing them to not see the upcoming ball, then directly hits his face. Just like that. He just shuts his eyes tightly at the impact the ball makes to his right cheek. A very few seconds, like a moment of shocked blinks from the eyes, before gasps fill the area – Seohyun’s being the loudest. At that moment, he feels that the stinging pain he has in his face is all worth it.

He opens his eyes and grins in mischief, making sure that Seohyun catches his playfulness. He celebrates inwardly when her nostrils flare at the realization that everything is actually planned well by him. He then faces the other people, the teachers and students. “I’m fine! I mean, it does hurt but hey, it’s volleyball. This incident is expected.” He shrugs.

“No Luhan oppa! Your cheek is swollen!”

“Luhan oppa please bring yourself to the clinic!”

Luhan is satisfied by the amount of requests and looks back at Seohyun.

“Don’t worry girls! I think Seohyun-ssi didn’t mean to hit me specifically. She’s just playing after all. I’m alright.” He manages to alter the flow of conversations.

He himself thinks that it is the most absurd thing he can ever think of. But nothing is ever stupid to a desperate boy. Just like what he has said, Seohyun is just playing and definitely doesn’t mean to hit him (although he bet she likes the idea of hitting him in any possible way).

However, in any angle they’re going to look at, Seohyun is still the one who serves last. And just like any other human being, she feels responsible of the whole situation. The ball that she serves just hits someone and it’s her nature to feel sorry about it.

Ridiculous. Really, really ridiculous.

But nonetheless brilliant, he says so himself.

The grin that is plastered in his face widens as Seohyun’s team mates start to ask her to bring the so-called victimized poor boy in the clinic. No one blames her, no one can ever do so, but everyone thinks it’s just so rightly of her to bring him to the clinic.

“But he planned that to happen!”

He hears her shrieking at the team captain, almost crying out in frustration–just that, she never cries in public. He can imagine his beloved Seohyun pulling out all of her hair from her scalp; her wavy, shiny black hair that’s tied up high into a y pony tail.

After a few more arguments and he sees how worn out she is, perhaps because of the thoughts of her and him together in the clinic or just the mere idea that she loses from him.

She walks at him, looking like she’s a lioness ready to pounce on a deer or looking like she’s the goddess of fire all ready to burn him. Nevertheless, he willingly gets dragged by her. He salutes at Minseok, who just shakes his head at him.

He doesn’t care if he is like on a death march, he’s just so happy she holds his hand (too tightly it might crush his finger bones already) for the first time after their so-called separation during grade school.

 

//

 

“Dude, that’s just the most loathsome thing ever happened this year.”

Luhan continues to flash his lopsided smile as he rests his chin on his palm. He doesn’t know if Minseok pertains to the purple-bluish bruise on his face or to the sly plan he accomplishes a while ago. And of course, he won’t bother knowing because he’s too happy to even think about it.

It is much worse a while ago, swelling a lot and the whole right side of his face seems contorted. Someone else might not actually recognize him but he’s also sure that he’s still looking good on the left side. Such thing won’t affect his charm, absolutely not to Seohyun. He giggles heedlessly when he remembers a flashback from a while ago, when he and she are the only ones in the clinic, earning a curious and awful stare from Minseok at the same time. This hyung never fails to give him such huge contraries at a time.

And even before Minseok can further grill him up, both Sehun and Chanyeol arrive on the table, joining them with disgusted faces. Aside from his best friend slash dear mother Minseok, the two younger kids are the male friends he truly has.

Surely, he has a lot of peer groups but none of them can be trusted fully. Since Minseok himself introduces the two boys, he is sure (as how sure he is for his feelings towards Seohyun) about Sehun and Chanyeol.

Sehun decides to talk first. “Hyung, that’s one awful face you have there. Looks to me like a bruise that’s grown a deer face.” He harshly comments, grimacing at the swell in Luhan’s face.

“Finally something manly in him though.” Chanyeol adds.

He just hushes them with a growl. “Whatever. Guess what? And one hint, this involves Seohyun, your beloved president.” He proudly beams.

“She decides to apply her judo lessons to you?”

“No Chanyeol, she kisses Luhan hyung. Just that, she thinks kissing between a girl and a boy involves the girl’s fist and the boy’s face. You know prez is a little too late about these stuffs.” Sehun sarcastically corrects Chanyeol.

Minseok chuckles with them, hi-fiving the two kids as Luhan glowers at them.

He waves his hands over them, as if he’s removing the stupid atmosphere and grins again. “As much as I’m thankful for having such supportive friends, like you three, I’m sorry but something nicer happened.” He speaks with great emphasis.

He then drops the subject since all of them seems uninterested about it.

“You know hyung, it’s not that we don’t care. It’s just that, prez is not your ordinary girl. She has so much to do with so much people interfering her. And no, we’re also not saying you’re actually an interference. But you have to give her considerations too.” Sehun sips his orange juice as the other three older boys stare at him. He feels as if his mouth becomes dry. “Ugh, I hate beating around the bush. Chanyeol, explain.”

Chanyeol raises his eyebrows at him before sighing. Sometimes, as much as how Sehun vocally resents Seohyun, his actions defy him. “What we mean is our president means so much for us so don’t you dare get rough on her–” He stops when Minseok swings the roll of papers at him, then laughs at the choice of his own words. “Yes vice president, no green jokes in front of the table.” He holds both of his hands in the air.

Luhan still has the frown though he tries his best to get what they want him to do so. “These kids speak for it Han. She has done a lot of things for us. We can only protect her, as a payback or something.” Minseok sternly talks. “See this place? No trace of Seohyun. She’s spending her free time for school works and anything along those words. But what if she’s just trying to avoid you? If that so, we’re really doing a bad job at protecting her, you know.”

And that slaps him too hard, making him get his senses back. The careless and playful smile is gone and he nods in understanding. “Yeah, you guys are really doing a bad job.” He says so.

But the other three boys know his words are directed to himself.

Poor deer-boy Luhan is doing a bad job.

 

//

 

“I-I’m really sorry prez, I’m doing my best to find it.”

Chanyeol steadies his heartbeat, too rapid he might faint out in front of her. He even closes his eyes, afraid that anytime, Seohyun is going to roar at him. But the longer the time, the more afraid he gets. Still, he thinks it takes a little bit too long for her to run her terrifyingly loud and frank speech. He then peeks at her, only to find out that she’s staring out on her laptop.

“Ah prez? Do you hear me?”

She finally throws her sight on him, her face tells him to back off but her eyes seem tired. “Do you expect me to search it for you then? Duh! Work on it, ugh why are boys so moronic. First Lu–” She then fans herself at the almost slip of the tongue.

Chanyeol thinks it might be a Luis, Luke, Lucas, Lubbert, Luben, Ludis, Ludolf, Ludvig, Ludwig, Luther. It can be Lulalelilolullabybananapotato, if ever such name even exists. But somehow, the only Lu-boy he can ever think of at that moment is Lu, the-deer-boy, Han. And everything about him, in regards to Seohyun’s perspective is not good.

“Ah yeah, I’m just going to find it now prez. I’m really sorry.”

“I’ve been hearing that from you for the umpteen and you still haven’t brought me anything!” She snaps at him. She then shrinks at her seat. “Oh god, the student council from the other schools are going here, Oh god what am I going to do now?” She asks, more to herself and cups her own face at the thought.

Chanyeol is surprised, fidgeting at the thought that she’s going to cry. “Prez please don’t cry on me now! I am really sorry!”

“I am not going to cry!” She screams, realizing the actuality that anytime, she might cry in front of him. She calms herself, pressing her lips into a tight line. “You know what? Just find that damned record book and you won’t step here until you do so. Once I see your shadow and you haven’t shown that stupid file, I’m going to make sure you won’t bear a son, understand?” She even grabs his collar until the doorknob twists open only to reveal Luhan – how convenient of them for him to appear.

Chanyeol looks at the female president, then to his hyung, back to the girl who still has his uniform’s collars–and he does that for a few more times before Seohyun pushes him and stares defensively. “There’s nothing going on between us!”

Chanyeol doesn’t even know if he must laugh or he must remind Seohyun that he still doesn’t say anything to her. But the smirk on his hyung’s face is enough to piss her off–he’s just too nice to give her burdens further.

He coughs and smiles dryly at Luhan, trying to converse with him through an eye contact. He has a lunchbox with him, probably to make it up for the girl. They must have really rubbed salt on his ego a while ago, when they’re trying to verbally show that they are protecting their very own president.

“Goodbye prez! I am going to find the record book now!” He announces again, trying to act as if he’s just going to stay there if she wants to. “Though of course, if you want me to stay here…” He trails off, trying to hold back a snort towards Luhan who already raises his eyebrows.

Seohyun seems as if she’s tempted on requesting him to do so, but the bit on her lips tells him that she’s also doing her best not to show her fear on Luhan. “And why must you stay? Are you that lazy not to find that record book?”

“Well, no of course prez. Just that,” He throws a look of disbelief to Luhan’s direction before turning back on the female. “Just that, it’s no doubt that you’re not in good terms with Luhan hyung. Maybe you don’t want to get awkward.”

“Sulli’s been searching for you though.” Luhan intervenes, staring directly at Chanyeol with a smug look. “She says it’s very important.” He adds, highlighting the last two words by a sharp tone. “Something about a lost stuff, I’m not really sure.”

And that really gives the shudder to Chanyeol’s spine. That sheer statement is just so strong he goes trembling. Slightly due to frustration–how come this guy know that? It isn’t likely of Sulli to give details like those. If she wants to him, she’s going to simply say that she wants to. It really disheartens him that he’s no match to this boy.

“But of course, if Seohyun-ssi’s more important–”

“I’m afraid I’m not just a Seohyun-ssi here, Luhan sunbaenim.” Seohyun drops every word mockingly. “I’m afraid I’m the president of the student’s council.” She state icily, not cutting off the eye contact with Luhan.

“Just meet Sulli now Chanyeol. I’m in no mood for baby-sitting another attention-seeking, spoiled brat, jerk in this room. Our very own senior here is already over-flowing of them.” She crosses her arms over her chest and rolls her eyeballs when Luhan still manages to smile sweetly at her. She doesn’t even look at him as she speaks to him, not breaking the challenge going on between her and Luhan.

Chanyeol scowls before concludes at last to help Sulli find a stuff that she has lost. His revenge for Luhan can wait, and perhaps Seohyun can even do it for him.

Meanwhile, Luhan inwardly performs the winner’s dance and comfortably plops down on the seat in front of Seohyun’s table. He doesn’t mean to get into Chanyeol’s nerves but the importance of his arrival there is actually reasonable–at least he thinks so.

“Being the attention-seeking, spoiled brat, jerk I’ve always been, I ask you to shut that first off and give me your undivided hospitality.” He casually talks, a if he’s just conversing with a close friend.

He argues in mind that as much as he wants to upgrade that relationship, he’s actually proud of just being a close friend of hers. They can deal with that later on, maybe on college. Maybe when she’s over eighteen or something. Maybe when he meets her mom once again and asks for a permission.

His thoughts are then disrupted when Seohyun suddenly smacks the table. “Not because you have a serious attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, I have to tend to your needs. I am no psychiatrist and I definitely don’t have any patience right now to offer you. So if you don’t mind, spare me from your daily drama.”

Luhan blinks naively, taking longer time to absorb her words fully. He then waves his hands in the air, a sign of dismissal. He thinks that she’s really y when angry but he reminds himself of every second that he’s there for reconciliation.

But even before he can speak for himself, Seohyun decides to let her tongue do all the work (not the way you guys are thinking, of course). “Not to mention, that dongsaeng of yours has lost a very important record book. Two days later on, the student councils of the two other sister schools are going to visit here. I don’t even have the leisure to punch you here right now. As much as I want you dead, there are far more urgent stuffs to do. I’m pretty sure you’re not that dumb to take all what I have been telling you.”

Seohyun arcs an eyebrow, trying to compose herself under Luhan’s pair of scrutinizing eyes. Even though he’s just looking at her innocently, his lips are tightly pressed, he is aware that she herself knows that he can’t be shaken by her self-evident power.

And he is thinking that she might be wondering because her domineering voice and her overflowing charisma in terms of authority are both futile to him. Rather, she seems like she’s cowering inside, almost biting her nails and curling her whole body to protect from him. And it isn’t because of the kind of fear that’s displayed by children when they’ve been told about some made-up ghost stories; the kind of fear when girls get to see boys they like–fear of being caught by the boys they like.

Luhan smiles to himself at the thought of the possibility that Seohyun likes him. It makes him feel all clumsy and strong altogether. He flashes one of his shining, shimmering smiles at her once again, the girl in front of him holding inside her the urge to stab her ballpoint pen on him.

“Sweetie, that’s why I’m here. That’s the very essence of my existence–to help you when you’re in need. Although you can say that it can be the other way round too.” He wriggles his eyebrows. “I am well-aware of the fact that Chanyeol has done something awful to you. In fact, I am more than well-aware of where the record book is.” He then gingerly crosses his arms over his chest, and gives her a meaningful look.

“What the hell do you mean by that? Is there something you know that I don’t know?” She raises her voice, feeling ridiculed that someone is suddenly being all superior and more informed than her. That probably tarnishes her sovereignty.

“Chill babe, I’m now in the .” He jokes but just earns a flare in the nose from the girl. “The thing is, yes, I kind of know something you don’t know. And you know me, attention-seeking–”

“Ugh, I know what you’re talking about. Just spill the beans so we can both get on good terms. Duh?” Seohyun impatiently taps her index finger on the table, every tap means she’s really near to outburst.

Luhan suppresses his chortle and just grins back to the lady. He then places a lunchbox on her desk. “Eat all of this. You won’t get any information from me if you’re not going to finish all of this.” He simply pushes the food container to her. And this time, his smile doesn’t imply any monkey business, for a blink-of-the-eye moment, he is very serious.

“And why am I going to believe you? For all I know, you don’t know anything about the lost record book.” And she stares ludicrously at the lunchbox he gives her. “For all I know, this has a poison!”

Luhan shows her how hurt he is from her words, meaning every sad smile he shows though he tries not to show how sad he is at her at the same time. “First, I am a reliable source. Second, I don’t know how to cook remember? That’s not made by me, so rest assured.”

Seohyun her head on the other side, denying the fact that she clearly remembers that he isn’t really in good terms with the kitchen and everything along that term

“Fine.” She finally gives in.

Luhan argues in mind that she must be that hungry because she doesn’t violently disagree that much. Normally, she’s going to hang his on the ceiling of the janitor’s room or she’s going to skin him alive.

Poor, dear Seohyun.

 

//

 

“Ah, I’m so full!” Seohyun boosts euphorically as she pats her tummy. Luhan just nods to himself, all satisfied just by the look of her refreshed expression. He then raises his eyebrow when she stops and steals a glance at him.

He has done nothing but to watch her all the time. She offers him something and he refuses because he particularly has made those foods for her. He even bothers the sophomores from the home economics class for borrowing the school’s kitchen during their training.

But this time, probably just this time, she’s not annoyed with what he’s doing. He can feel that because she’s looking calm while eating her food. But of course, that doesn’t mean that she’s already comfortable with him–that’s far from truth, he believes. But everything at that moment is just so precious because they’re not arguing, that much.

“Well, thank you.” She softly speaks.

“H-Huh? Ah, you’re welcome, as always.” He suddenly answers, although he doesn’t intend to reveal that he has cooked all of that for her.

“Not you, idiot. I’m thanking the one who has cooked this food.” She then snaps, but not as fiery as usual.

“Luhan, Seohyun says she wants to thank you for making the food.” Luhan acts as if he’s talking to someone else. “Oh really? Then tell her she’s always welcome to me. And that I love her, okay?” He says as if a reply to his first statement.

Luhan then side-eyes her as he blurts it out, only to find out that she’s withholding her chuckles from him. She then straights out when she finds out that he’s staring at her already.

“You’re really moronic.” She rolls her eyes before resting her chin on the back of her palms. “And don’t you ever think I’ve forgotten about the deal.” She delivers dead seriously.

Luhan sighs dramatically. “The record book is not lost. Sulli has it.” He simply states.

Seconds pass and Seohyun then ends up laughing, curling on her stomach as to prevent further aching. “Please, if you’re going to crack a joke, make it more comical. I am not amused at all.” But then she turns grave. “Luhan, I mean it, I’m not in the mood–”

“What? You only want to listen if I say that Chanyeol has actually lost it? Now where’s your objectivity? Do I even look like I’m cracking jokes to you?”

And it’s not just Seohyun’s turn to change so seriously. Luhan makes it sure that his face bears nothing but solemnity.

“You’re so overly-stubborn, you can’t even differentiate gender chauvinism to equality. Yes, you want equality, you want boys to stop being so full of themselves. But that won’t mean that everything we do is wrong, and that everything you girls do, is right. Get yourself together, maybe you’re the one who’s full of yourself.” He conveys in one breath, his chest going up and down as he glares at her. For the first time, he raises his voice at her. For the first time, his eyes are glimmering due to anger.

He breathes in and out deeply, calming himself. He then flicks his hair and gives the girl one last look. “Hyun, I don’t know what happened after I graduated from grade school. Obviously, a jerk has fooled and played on you and I hate him for that. But what I hate the most is that he’s able to change the sweet little girl I used to know into a bitter, Miss I-know-it-all.” He ponders at a thought. He knows the history of her family, even the fragment of her father leaving her and her family. He has seen it all. But that doesn’t really shake her down. More like, she becomes even stronger after that.

And at the thought of another guy, makes his head throb in pain. He can’t bear with that idea.

He then rests his hands on his hips and stands up from his seat. He runs some fingers to his tousled hair and sighs.

“You can ask Sulli for yourself, she’s a nice a girl anyway. She won’t mind telling you the truth.” He then leaves.

Just like that, dismissing Seohyun, the girl who’s at the edge of breakdown, the girl who’s fuming in anger, the girl who’s pained all at the same time. She furiously blinks, pushing back all of the tears which are threatening to fall from her lashes. But as one little drop escapes, the other ones make their way down to the side of her face. And she doesn’t have anything else to do but to let them do so.

She spaces out at the area before her, thinking that she has actually changed, accordingly as to what Luhan says. But that’s not wholly her fault. A part of her blames the jerk he’s pertaining to.

None other than Luhan himself.

 

//             

 

Minseok thinks that it’s weird at first, having to enter the office without being scolded. On top of that, he’s late by ten minutes and there’s an important meeting being held. Rather, the president looks distraught. The rest of the officers are all discussing things, unaware that none of them is being heeded by the girl in front.

He scoffs, trying to catch her attention instead. But she stays like that, quite spacing out as the other officers already feel his presence. They straighten out, leaving Seohyun the only one who’s moping.

“Ahem, prez, I’m sorry I’m late.”

Seohyun looks up to him, grimacing instantly at the sight of him. He actually guesses that she’s already going to scream at him but she folds the laptop in her desk and stands up feebly, like a wilting stem of a rose. She even used to have rosy cheeks but she gets paler from the past few days.

“Minseok, precede to this meeting. I want to go to the bathroom.”

“H-huh? What for?” Minseok asks stupidly, as if there’s something else to do in the bathroom. He locks his own lips from further spilling senseless sentences. He’s waiting for her to use her sharp skills in sarcasm.

“I need to pee.” She says flatly, not even minding that she’s with almost a dozen of high school boys, still on the specific stage of developing turbulent hormones.

“But prez! How about the visiting bodies of student’s council from the sister schools later? And Chanyeol still on the search for the record of funds?” Lee Taemin, officer in public relations, voices out his thoughts.

“Screw those student councils. This is our school, they’re just on our level. I don’t even care if they carry a camera to film what is going to happen here.” She then yawns, evidently not able to sleep for some nights because dark circles form under her gloomy eyes. “Kids, I really need to secrete my urine if you guys don’t know what pee means.”

All of them dodges from her stare and so she leaves the room.

“I am not sure if I should be glad that she’s not in the mood to go roaring on us or if I should be worried that she’s not roaring on us for real.” Kim Jongdae, the secretary, asserts. He sulks in his chair as the others look at him in disbelief. His own statement itself is rubbish. But he is sure of the fact that everyone in that room is thinking of the same thing – that their president is acting differently.

“Just before the meeting has started, Chanyeol shows up; just to tell her that he won’t be able to join this conference since he’s still searching for the accounts of the council’s budget. But the main point is, she just nods at him. Moreover, she can’t look at him directly.” Byun Baekhyun, the head of art and drama club, points out.

Minseok then goes down to one last option, that Seohyun is acting weird because of Luhan. Two days before, he is able to see a raging Luhan storming off from the office. At first, he thinks that he’s just acting but then Luhan hasn’t talked after that incident. He’s always busy, as he says so, and always spacing out in class.

Yesterday, Luhan opens up and says that he has heard Chanyeol and Sulli’s conversation – that Sulli keeps the record to herself. And it comes to him that maybe Luhan has tried to tell that to Seohyun. Last but not least, knowing how protective Seohyun is towards girls, she doesn’t believe him.

He then gathers his senses back as the other boys remain quiet. “Let’s give her some space, she’s actually near to fixing things her own way. As for the moment, she entrusts us the organization for welcoming the visitors later.”

“But she has just said to screw them, right?”

He stares dimly to the boy who says that. “As much as I want to take her words literally, no. Prez has done her best to keep our school on top and we know that those student councils want to bring her down instead. We won’t let that, won’t we?”

“Of course!” They speak out in chorus.

Minseok smiles in triumphant and starts the forum.

 

//

 

“Looking for this?”

Chanyeol lifts his head up, almost hiding behind the old desk. He tidies himself, dusting off his dirty-white uniform just to shake off some tense he gets the moment he sees the doe-eyed boy.

He uncomfortably smiles when he realizes how long he stares at the record book that’s with Luhan at that time. When all in fact, he’s raging mad and trembling scared inside. “Y-yes! The record book is finally found! T-thanks to you hyung, of course.” He speaks, swallowing the urge to choke on his own words.

The older boy doesn’t smirk nor does anything necessary. He just stands in front of the tall younger boy, unimpressed. He flips the record book and clucks his own tongue. “I don’t know what to make of you and that girl, Sulli. I’m barely feeling honoured that I found this.”

Chanyeol nervously rubs his nape. He is sure that few more wrong words and the hyung that’s before him is going to explode. For the past two days, Luhan hasn’t been his usual self. His doe-like eyes become rather brooding. He doesn’t smirk, play around nor talk about Seohyun. The very first time that he gets to join him (with Minseok and Sehun), a day won’t pass if he hasn’t spoken about the love of his life–the student council’s president.

“Hyung, I can explain.”

“And yes, I demand an explanation for this.” Luhan snorts as he throws the lost accounts to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol heaves a sigh before calming his nerves. Since he’s going to talk about it to someone else for the very first time, he needs to be in a good state enough to convey the truth. If he has messed up there, he’s definitely going to mess up for the rest of his high school life.

“The truth is, in the very first place, Ssul and I are, let’s say, partners in crime.” He starts, doing the quotation marks in the air at the last three words. “Since I’m keeping this book for the funds, Sulli approached me. She’s the treasurer in her class and has recorded some accounts wrongly, so she asked me if she can have the book for a week.” He breathes out, blinking his eyes in disbelief. “And I let her do so.”

“But the thing is, her problem is actually bigger than that. When she isn’t able to bring the record book back to me after one week, I already know that there’s a problem, perhaps bigger than what she originally claims.”

“And since I…” Chanyeol steals a glance at Luhan, then acts like a little boy having his first love confession when Luhan is able to grab his act. He lowers his head. “Since I, I love h-her, hyung, I permitted her to keep it again for another week. And that’s when Prez thought I lost it.”

He tries to look again at his hyung, realizing that Luhan’s not shocked at his confession. He wonders if he’s that obvious about Sulli or this guy is just too smart for him. After all, Luhan outwits Seohyun at times.

“I didn’t really care when prez gets angry at me, I know that she’s just mad because she’s thinking that it is lost for real. However, I know that at the same time, the burden is there. I got her worried for a reason that’s not true. Furthermore, I feel worthless knowing that Sulli is fixing her problems all by herself.” Chanyeol impatiently runs some fingers to his jet-black short hair. He has a neat hairstyle but he looks no near to being clean since he’s distressed and all.

Luhan then intervenes, as if something along Chanyeol’s feelings is able to reach him, a soft hand grazing over his heart. “God I can totally relate to you dude! Why are girls like that? They think they’re all wonder woman but if I know, they bawl their eyes out every night! They say men have too damned big egos but in reality, they have freaking drums as containers for their pride.”

“And don’t cut me off yet–your Sulli’s stubbornness isn’t yet at the tip of my Seohyun’s pig-headedness! She’s so unshakable that she’s going to be the death of me! Seriously!” He exclaims.

Chanyeol blinks a couple of times, taking his time to register what his hyung is trying to suggest. “I don’t understand any of that but listening to your tone and seeing how your chest hurls and drops, I think I might know what it is actually.”

The two of them ends up laughing at their own miserable fate, having to deal with girls like Sulli and Seohyun. Just a moment ago, they’re ready to pounce at each other but realizing that they share the same destiny, they might as well create a club for losers.

But even before they end up in a mental institution, Minseok comes to save them–only bringing a bad news.

“Guys, as much as I want to point out how you two seemed to over-qualify the requirements for mentally unstable kiddos, there’s something more important. Sulli’s been dragged by some girls in the bathroom because they say she’s got the record book.

Chanyeol and Luhan looks at each other first before dashing to the said incident, leaving Minseok to see that the controversial account of funds is actually there, in that room.

 

//

 

Chanyeol and Luhan stops at a particular pavement, seeing a bunch of female students outside the girls’ bathroom. The deafening silence on the area is daunting, making every human being shiver. The two of them slowly seizes their way through the crowd, never minding that they’re entering the bathroom of the opposite gender.

Girls just make way for them, either because they look so serious at the moment or just because they’re good-looking oppas.

 

“Sulli, is it true?”

 

Seohyun’s weak but bold question greets the two boys as they stop by the frame of the entrance.

 

“Prez, we’re not lying–”

“I am not talking to the three of you so please don’t, just don’t.”

 

Even Chanyeol himself shudders as Seohyun coldly treats the other girls who are there inside with them. He bets they’re the ones who spread the rumours and the ones who keep on bullying his Sulli.

 

“Sulli don’t make it any harder for the rest of us. Did you or did you not steal the record book? As a treasurer from your own class, I know you’re well aware of how important those accounts are.” Seohyun speaks professionally. No emotions other than hurt and disappointment linger to her interrogation.

“Yes, prez. I stole the record book from Chanyeol-ssi.”

 

Chanyeol feel Luhan’s empathizing eyes as the girl drop her words. Clearly, she doesn’t intend to fully spill the details to Seohyun. And Chanyeol is as pained as when he accidentally hammers his thumb during their class in home economics. Just that, this time, it isn’t accidentally. Everything is coming with him being informed, yet, he chooses to take it all in like the martyr he really is.

 

“I knew it!”

“How dare you! Chanyeol oppa has done nothing to you!”

“!”

“Can you three shut it? Go back to your own homeroom classes and go learn the basic ethics. I am the president of this school and I’m responsible of each and every issue that happens here. Don’t rub it in my face because I do hate myself enough for the whole population of the campus.” Seohyun dryly but continuously declares. Her voice is desperate and it breaks both of the guy’s heart to hear it. It sure does for the rest too. Their strong president finally reaches her limit.

 

In no time, three girls leave the scene, a bit taken aback to see Chanyeol glaring at them.

 

“Why Ssul? Why? We have been together all throughout, even before my campaign, with Soojung. Why haven’t you opened up this to me?”

“I’m sorry Seohyun unnie! I really am sorry! Something huge came and I am too tired to tell this to people.”

“Is that what I am to you? Do I belong to the people you’re referring to?”

“I’m sorry, I just…I don’t know anymore.”

 

Another round of silence comes, only the heartbeats of people around can be heard.

 

“Three weeks before, we were busy for the upcoming festival. It was already dark when some classmates and I have decided to call it a day. And I carry all of our budget to my way home. But, but…”

Sulli finally breaks into pitiful sobs, the heart-breaking sound of her weeping penetrating Chanyeol’s heart, torturing it and crushing it slowly. He feels more useless than ever. By the way Sulli leads her statement, everybody around knows what happens next.

“I didn’t mean to turn things like this, unnie. I only intend to keep the book for a week. But my allowance isn’t fit enough to make up for the robbed money. And so it takes me another week to complete it.”

And the next statement surely doesn’t slip from Chanyeol. “I never want to mess things up for Chanyeol. He’s out of this. I used him to cover for me. I…I am what those girl say.”

 

Luhan doesn’t even prevent Chanyeol from walking in, straight to the corner where Sulli and Seohyun are. He gathers Sulli, who is flustered at his sudden appearance, then covers her from the judging eyes outside the bathroom.

Meanwhile, Luhan blows another sigh before turning to the other female students who are all eavesdropping, ready to deliver the gossip to their classmates. “Girls, the shoot is over. Director says cut already. Remember rule 101, students who are out of their classroom during class hours are immediate going to get detention on Sundays for the rest of their high school years.”

There’s no such rule and Luhan himself thinks it’s too ridiculous to believe him but the girls do take his words and instantly cut loose because they’re too into him to even think about his declaration.

Thankfully, at least.

And when he turns again to the supposed scene, he then actualizes that Seohyun is looking longingly at him. Her eyes are full of different emotions. Some are disbelief, disdain and animosity but mostly grateful.

Their eye contact then breaks when Minseok calls Seohyun, telling her that the student councils from the other sister schools are coming within ten minutes. She just nods before finally quits from the direct eye contact. She looks back at both Chanyeol and Sulli, turning sad, and pats them both for a goodbye.

She just passes at Luhan, the non-existent wind between them wrapping the two of them into a nostalgic atmosphere.

Luhan bets that there are tons for the two of them to fix, since their problems are worse than Chanyeol’s and Sulli’s. Their current standings are like those of areas get affected by super typhoon Haiyan, damaged and deranged at the worst possible ways.

But for now, those visiting student bodies are the priorities. First things first, as they say.