Finale

Prince Charming [A Contest Entry]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The king’s words entered and left his ears as father gave his son another lengthy sermon regarding his absences in court. The prince stood there, lifelessly staring ahead, cold and numb. A huge part of him died already. He doesn’t care anymore. Seeing the blank expression on his son’s face, the king dismissed him.

 

As he lay still in bed, with the back of his hand covering his eyes, he succumbed in misery, as the  painful memory of her running away shattered his heart into a million pieces.

 

“Why… Karin? Why?” he asked in the stillness of the night as burning tears surfaced, rolling down the sides of his face. She had forgiven him but why does it feel like she is punishing him? “What have I done to deserve this?” He curled his fists and pounded the soft fabric. It was so unfair. His heart throbbed from the excruciating pain she caused. “Karin… my Karin… I’m begging you…,” he sobbed continuously, hoping that she could hear his cry. How can the source of his happiness be the cause of his misery? Was love supposed to bring agony and tears? “I love you… I love you,” he uttered in the deep silence of the night. The prince had cried himself to sleep, calling out her name, incessantly declaring his undying love for her.

 

  

 

 

Days passed, and he would just content himself looking at her from afar. Prince Donghae hoped that his heart could reach her. He would walk her to town and send her back home; but not beside her. He tried to keep himself from going to her but his heart would not let him. The prince utterly and hopelessly loves her already.

 

One hot sunny morning, he waited patiently for her to pass by; but an hour passed already and there was still no sign of her. It wasn’t like her to be late in going to the market. Still, he didn’t leave. He had to see her; just a glimpse of her would be enough. A strange feeling crept over him as he looked at the direction of the mansion she was staying at.

 

His fear was soon founded when he saw the familiar brown mouse hurrying towards him. A blue bird flew on top and dropped something that glistened under the sunlight. He caught the object and saw that it was a glass slipper… the other glass slipper.

 

“Help Karin!” Hyukkie frantically conveyed his message, flinging his arms but the prince just stared at him, clueless. The little mouse huffed and pointed at the slipper in his hand, then at the direction of the mansion. Shindongie appeared out of nowhere and helped by slapping Hyukkie right smack on the face. A great actor he was, Hyukkie dropped on the dusty road holding his red cheek, liquid spilling from his eyes.

 

“Oh, please no... not her,” he gasped as he put two and two together. The prince sprinted towards the estate, holding on to her love’s slipper as he pleaded to the heavens.

 

The front door swung open and he stormed inside the mansion, followed by Hyukkie and Shindonggie. 

 

The scene that lay before him tore him apart. There she was, lying on the carpeted floor with tears streaming down her rosy cheeks. Her silky long hair was in disarray and her clothes were soaking wet. His eyes burned to see bruises on her delicate skin. How could someone do this to his princess? It was unforgiveable.

 

In one swift move, the prince made it to her side and held her fragile body close to his chest.

 

The girl was as shocked as her stepmother to see him. “Wh-what… How did yo-“

 

Prince Donghae pressed a finger on her pink lips and smiled gently at her. “Your friends came to me just in time. Don’t worry, you’re safe now.” He carefully lifted her up in his arms and faced the wretched woman who dare hurt his love.

 

“I am taking her with me.” He tried his best to remain calm, holding back his fury

Please log in to read the full chapter