She Is Not Her

Prince Charming [A Contest Entry]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The clock struck midnight ending the dream right before his very eyes without warning. Prince Donghae found himself chasing after the mysterious princess who captivated his heart. The feeling was all new to him and he couldn't bear for it to fade so soon. Needless to say, the prince loved being in her presence but it seemed quite the opposite for her. His mind could not fathom why she would run away from him without saying a word... without saying her name.

 

"Princess, come back! Please wait!" He called out in desperation, trying to rid himself off the ladies clinging on to him. She had purposely entered the castle, squeezing her way between the guests to avoid him."Why are you leaving so soon? You haven't told me your name yet!" He shouted, struggling to free himself from their grasp. Finally, with the help of his royal guards, he detached himself from them but she was already halfway down the grand staircase.

 

“Princess, wait! Please!”

 

To his pleasant surprise, she glanced back and for a fleeting moment, their eyes met. He was once again lost in her hazel eyes. The prince smiled in relief for his princess heeded his call. But much to his dismay, she tore from their gaze and shifted her eyes on the ground. He took a step forward as his heart pounded in fear but soon enough a chuckle escaped from his lips to see her glass slipper in one of the marble steps. Fate was definitely on his side, he thought. He descended to retrieve the object, his heart rising in excitement but in a blink of an eye, it dropped into a million pieces. The prince stood frozen as his princess turned her back and fled, leaving behind a glass slipper and a broken heart yearning for her.

 

 

The glass slipper glistened under the full moon, reminiscent of that bittersweet night. The different sounds carried by the breeze along with the trickling of water somehow soothed his soul but could never take away the sadness in his heart. He was once again by the fountain, where they first and last talked. Ever since she left, he stood there waiting, in hopes that someday she would return. Despite the queen's prodding, he could not simply forget his princess, who now owns his heart and rules his thoughts, and look at another. It simply had to be her.


 

Ladies all over the Kingdom and beyond strutted in their elaborate and extravagant ball gowns but none captured his interest. The young prince fidgeted in his seat, while letting out another bored sigh and thus, earning a reprimanding glare from the queen.

 

It wasn’t his idea of finding a wife. It couldn’t be helped though. He was the heir to the throne; his life was pretty much set in stone. Everyone in the castle made sure to that. All his needs were attended to so that he would be able to perform all his duties as the crowned prince. Oh how he wanted to escape from the castle and experience the simple joys of being a commoner; the life beyond the gates always piqued his interest. There were times that it was so suffocating, as if he was trapped inside a golden cage.

 

However, never did it cross his mind, that he would meet the key to his freedom that evening. Heads turned as a princess in a stunning sapphire blue ball gown graced the royal banquet. And he was no exception. He had long given up in fate but at that exact moment, he was certain that he met his destiny.

 

Gasps and shrieks echoed throughout the castle walls as the prince leaped from his seat and sprinted towards the fair maiden. On cue, the royal orchestra played sweet music; the king and queen nodding at the conductor in approval as they anticipated their son’s actions.

 

His heart drummed against his chest as he nervously approached her and it raced even more as he uttered, rather stammered, “May… you grant me… this dance, my Princess?”

 

Her melodious laughter reached his ears and he felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment. He wanted to bury his head in shame but it all vanished when she took his trembling hand and smiled at him.

 

He chuckled lightly at the memory. Holding on to the glass slipper as if it were his most prized possession, he vowed to find her, no matter what it took.

 

 

The wooden door slammed shut and when no one was looking, the prince groaned in exasperation, covering his tired eyes with the back of his hand. They searched the entire kingdom for months but there was still no sign of the girl. It was taking its toll on him.

 

“Where are you? Why do you have to leave me so soon and never came back? Will I ever find you?”

 

All these questions kept running around his head and he was getting more and more frustated. The pent up emotions were evident in his handsome features.

 

The carriage rolled to a stop and before him was an estate at the farthest end of the kingdom; one of the last places to be visited. He reluctantly stepped out of the carriage and plastered a smile as the lady of the house over willingly ushered them in. It was his brilliant idea to search for the girl using her glass slipper after all. He had to bear with it.

 

Silently praying to finally see his princess, he was interrupted by the loud noise coming from the upper floor. His eye twitched to see two sisters pushing each other as they scaled down the flight of stairs. His princess wasn't one of them. One is too tall and thin, while the other is short and plump. And their faces... he cringed, "Definitely not them."

 

However, as stated by the king’s decree, every girl in the Kingdom should try on the glass slipper. Hundreds of expectant girls fitted the glass slipper, but to no avail. So, with much retaliation in his part, he took out the slipper. This time, he was hoping that it wouldn't fit either of them.

 

The heavens heard his

Please log in to read the full chapter