Unexpected

Sacrifice [Part 2]

Kim Taeyeon let me sacrifice first.

 

For us.

 

Till we meet again Taeyeon-ah.

 

Till then.

 

                         ***

 

America was so different from Korea.

 

It was such a culture shock for me. As expected, western countries have more freedom compared to Asian countries. Even though it’s already the 21st century, it seems like that Asian culture is so strong.

 

Well Korean is anyways for me.

 

Being here, I feel like I was able to escape from a cage that I've been captived throughout my whole life.

 

I was finally able to fly high.

 

Dream high.

 

Achieve my goals.

 

Be myself.

 

The university that I got into was non other than the Cambridge University in England. A very well known university for its over achieving and very successful students.

 

I was finally able to major in Business and Economics.

 

Even though it’s not my favourite subject, the fact that I now have a degree in this major, I would most likely have a better career as it’s more practical now. .

 

I can't really take a major where I know there is no certainty that I would be able to achieve something out of it. Something that isn’t able to benefit my future for my mom, me and Taeyeon.

 

Speaking of Taeyeon ...

 

Well what can i say, I miss that dork so much.

 

There’s isn’t a nerd that would brighten my day up.

 

Talking to me about her gaming experiences that I would never understand but because it was her who was telling me all of this non-sense stuff I didn't mind at all.

 

I was mesmerize by her voice.

 

It was soothing.

 

So soothing.

 

Calming and I can't help but drown in them.

 

It’s like she is casting a magic spell on me.

 

Like I was a puppet and she was my master.

 

Oh, how much I miss her.

 

How I wish she was still within arms reach.

 

Where I could hug her.

 

Talk to her.

 

Kim Taeyeon … I miss you so much.

 

***

 

The first year of university had past and all I can say is that I’m enjoying my stay here.

 

I've learn’t so much things about life.

 

Being alone in a foreign country is so hard.

 

First there is the language barrier. Although I knew English, I wasn't very fluent in it so communicating was quite difficult for me at the start.

 

I had to study really hard for me to be able to survive in this world of competitiveness.

 

I literally spent my first year working my off. When there were no classes, I would be spending my time in the library studying.

 

Learning English and practising it.

 

I managed to gain a few friends too. I was lucky enough that I met a Korean girl.

 

Her name is Jessica Jung.

 

She was majoring in Music.

 

She has one of the amazing voices ever.

 

She reminded me of Taeyeon in that aspects as Taeyeon has one of the beautiful voices I’ve ever heard.

 

I remember at one time when she was sleeping over around mine she sang me to sleep.

 

All I could say is that it’s one of the greatest night I've ever had.

 

The fact that the person that I love the most was singing her heart out to me was memorable.

 

There’s no other words to describe it but amazing and I felt loved.

 

Jessica is so different from Taeyeon as she is more straight to the point and can come off as a snub person but when you get to know she has one of the warmest heart ever.

 

She is known as an Ice Princess in her major.

 

Some students are even scared of her and there’s me who just laughs about it because people are so judgemental when it comes to the physical features.

 

Lets just say that Jessica made my life here a lot easier because she is usually the only person I can go to and rely on.

 

The only person that I trust.

 

***


 

My second year has started.

 

It felt like with a blink of an eye, I’m so close to achieving my dreams

 

After this year I'm able to finally go back home and see my Mom and Taeyeon.

 

Not a single day that I wouldn't think about them.

 

There have been few times that I talked to Mom and see hows she’s doing.

 

I remember one time she was talking about Taeyeon to me.

 

"Miyoung-ah, how have you been? Are you eating well? Sleeping well?"

 

"Hey Mom just calm down. I’m fine Mommy. University is just quite hard right now and there’s so much work that I need to do for this project that I'm currently doing but other than that I’m fine. Me and Jessie are going out on the weekend just to take some time off studying. You know Jessie is very persistent when she wants something. How are you Omma?"

 

"Hahaha. Thats good to hear that you're doing fine. Don't overwork yourself too much Fany-ah. You need to take care of yourself too. I'm so thankful that you have Jessie there just to distract you. Knowing you, when you set yourself on something you won't stop until you finish it even if it means no eating or sleeping. Aigoo, what am i gonna do with you. Omma is too far away from you Fany-ah so you need to take care of yourself okay? Your Omma is doing fine. Taeyeon visits me every now and then checking up on me you know. That kid is so sweet. You should call her sometime Fany-ah. She's been asking about you."

 

“Alright Mom I need to go and study talk to you later. I love you and always take care okay?.”

 

“ I love you too Fany-ah. Take care of yourself too. Say hi to Jessie for me too.”

 

After that conversation I couldn't stop thinking about Taeyeon all night.

 

Should I call her?

 

I wonder how she's doing right now?

 

Did she have a new friend?

 

Hows high school treating her?

 

All those thoughts was bugging me but I never had the courage to actually call her. Dont ask me why.

 

As time passed by, my thoughts about Taeyeon started to lessen.

 

It’s not like I forgot about her but it’s because I got too busy with university and Jessie is such a good distraction too.

A year have passed and I'm finally on my last year of university with a few months left of uni so I can finally go back to Korea and see mom and Taeyeon too.

 

How I missed them. Especially my mom.

 

I miss her hug.

 

Her scent.

 

Her cooking.

 

And just her in general.

 

I learned to appreciate her more than I used to. I realise how much my mom has sacrificed herself for me and all the hardships that she went through just to give me a better future.

 

However one day, thats when everything comes crashing down to me again.

 

It’s like heaven and hell came crashing to me.

 

I couldnt believe it at first as it was so unexpected.

 

I found out I was sick.

 

I have a terminal cancer. And apparently I only have a about 6 months or less to live.

 

The moment I found out, I couldn't even think straight anymore.

 

I blamed God for it.

 

Asking him why out of all people it has to be me.

 

When I was just about to reach my dreams.

 

This happens to me.

 

Jessie was there all along. Supporting me.

 

I broke down since that’s all I could do.

 

Jessie was crying too and hugging me tightly.

 

Consoling me and telling me that it’s gonna be alright and that she would do everything to find the best doctor to help me get better.

 

Even though we both knew that it’s incurable. I didn't say a word anymore because I knew inside she's panicking and hurting like me as well.

 

Then suddenly Jessie said something that made me stopped crying all of a sudden

 

“Fany-ah, you need to tell your mom about this.”

 

I let go of the hug and just stared at her.

 

Just from looking at her, I knew that I probably looked so scared and didn't know what to do.

 

She just went and hugged me again.

 

Soothing my back to help me calm down.

 

We are now back at our dorm.

 

We were sitting on my bed and thinking of what were going to do.

 

Well most likely what the hell am I going to do and how on earth I’m going to tell my mother that her only daughter is sick and she only has 6 months or less to live unless some miracle is about to happen.

 

I sat next to Jessie and leaned my head on her shoulders. She then wrapped my arms around my waist to support me.

 

“Jessie I don't know what to do. How am I going to tell my mom about this?”

 

“You have to tell her face to face Fany-ah. It will be useless telling her through the phone as we don't know how she would handle it and it’s for her safety as well. You know how you're mom panics so easily.”

 

“ You’re right Jessie but I can't afford to go back to Korea at the moment. I haven't been able to save enough money to buy a ticket right now.”

 

“Fany-ah. Don't worry about that I already talked to my parents and it’s okay.”

 

“WHAT??” I turned around and looked at her with wide eyes.

 

“ HAHAHAHA! Fany-ah. AHAHAHA! You look so funny.”

 

“Yah Jessie. I'm being serious here you know” I said pouting.

 

“I know. Hey, don't worry about it. It’s the least that I can do. Sisters are here to help each other right?”

 

I couldn't help but cry and hug her really tight.

 

Honestly I don't know what will i do without Jessie here with me.

 

She’s a sister that I've always wanted but now I have one and I couldn't be anymore happier.

 

“Oh. By the way, I'm coming with you Fany-ah”.

 

***


 

Jessie has been very helpful. Sorting out my travel expenses but also helping me with university and explaining the details to the headmaster.

 

Our flight is tonight and I haven't told my mom that I'll be coming home as I wanted to surprise her even though I know it would be a bad surprise but even for a short time I want to see her smile.

 

I want all the last few months that I have to be memorable and try to have the happiest memories that I could make to at least make the last few months more worth living for.

 

I've packed my stuff and ready to go.

 

I don't even know if I should be excited, happy, ecstatic or sad and nervous.

 

Right now i have no idea what I feel.

 

In a way i feel so numb.


 

6pm

 

“Fany-ah, are you ready to go?”

 

“Coming Jessie.”

 

I looked around my room that I spent the last 2 years of my life.

 

Taking in all the details that has become a huge part of my life.

 

Thank you for all the memories and experiences.

 

The good and bad times.

 

I tried my hardest not to let a tear fall.

 

I must stay strong.

 

For myself and my mom.

 

I closed the door and left the life that I thought I would have.

 

A life where my dreams would come true.

 

A life where I thought I would finally experience what true happiness is.

 

A life where I thought i would be able to spend time with my Mom or Taeyeon.


A blissful life that I thought I'll finally have.

 

But again i was wrong.

 

I guess dreams don't come true after all.

 

I guess this is the reality of life.



 

Walking out, I saw Jessie waiting for me.

 

I somehow had a feeling what she was feeling. I guess my facial expression says it all as she started walking to me and hugged me tightly.

 

“It’s all gonna be alright Fany-ah”

 

Thats when I broke down and started crying.

 

I couldn't hold my emotions anymore.

 

The pain.

 

The regret.

 

Why me out of all the people in the world.

 

Don't I really deserve to  be happy?

 

I hugged her back tightly pouring every emotions that I couldn't explain and she was there soothing my back trying to calm me down.

 

After a good 5 minutes of crying I was finally able to calm down.

 

Jessie wiped my tears with her thumb and kissed my cheeks

 

“It’s gonna be alright Fany-ah. I'm here for you”

 

I just nodded my head unable to say any words.

 

She grabbed my hand and we started to walk towards the car that was waiting for us to take us to the airport.

 

After a good 11 hours of sitting on a plane, we finally arrived in Korea.

 

A place where I never thought that I’ll be back so soon.

 

When we arrived, a car was already waiting for us and I guess Jessie planned this trip very well.

 

“Jessie stay with me and my Mom. Our house is not that great and it’s most likely that you’ll share a room with me but I’d really like it if you're with me all this time. It’s the least that I can do as well as I don't know how I would repay you for all the kindness that you've shown me. So please let me this time.”

 

“Fany-ah. How many times do I have to tell you that you don't need to thank me. This is what sisters do for each other and I don't expect anything in return either. It would be my pleasure to stay with you and finally meet Aunty.”

 

I just hugged her tightly and thanked her for the nth time.

 

I grabbed her hand and dragged her towards the car. I guess I'm really excited to finally see my mom for the first time after almost 2 years.

    

                        ***

 

I arrived at home however it was way too quiet in here. I called for mom but no one answered. I guess she was probably out doing some shopping.

 

After a good hour we already finished unpacking and got settled down. I cooked something for me and Jessie while waiting for my beloved mother.

 

Suddenly i heard the door knob twist and my heart started raising all of a sudden.

 

I looked at Jessie and she knew exactly what i mean so she stood there nodded her head and smiled at me. I smiled at her showing her that it was time to greet my mother.

 

“OMMA”

 

“FANY-AH” moms expression showed every emotions that she was feeling.

 

After a few minutes of hugging and crying we both calmed down and i finally introduced my best friend to my mom and she was hugging her tight and thanking her as well.

 

Jessie then held my hand it was a sign for me to finally tell my mom the reason why i came back to Korea a few months earlier than planned.

 

“Mom we need to talk”

 

“Alright honey what is it that you wanna talk about”

 

“Mom i'm sick”

 

Mom was shock.

 

I couldn't read her expression.

 

After a good hour of explaining everything to her.

 

I was a wreck so is my mother and Jessie.

 

She couldn't believe what i just told her but knowing my mom she calmed down after a few minutes. I know by then she was trying to be strong for me.

 

I know that she doesn't want me to worry about her anymore.

 

Mom just hugged me really tightly while soothing my back. This has been always her way of calming me down since young.

 

“Is gonna be alright Fany-ah. Omma is here now. Its gonna be alright”


She then kissed my forehead and little did i know i fell asleep in her embrace.

 

***

 

Days have past me, mom and Jessie have been bonding over.

 

Spending all the time that we can and touring around Seoul since me and Jessie haven't been here in a while we decided to explore the city that we missed.

 

My mom suddenly told me that today was Taeyeon's graduation.

 

I stood frozen.

 

I didn't know what to do.

 

Suddenly my mind just blanked out it was then when Jessie notice and told me.

 

“Fany-ah i think you need to tell Taeyeon too. She at least deserve that after everything she did for you.”

 

I just nodded not knowing what i should say or actually do.

 

We then decided to have a picnic by the Han River.

 

And I tell you its one of those places where you can just relax and take time to think. its very peaceful and theres always people there spending time with their family or lover or just friends.

 

I smiled at the thought of spending some time here before with Taeyeon.

 

Just then i made my decision.

 

Its time to face the person that i love the most.

 

Later that evening i went straight to Taeyeon’s house.

 

Luckily she still wasn't home and i was welcomed by her older brother Jinwoo.

 

We decided to catch but after a good 30 mins it was time for Jinwoo to leave for work.

 

“Fany-ah you're gonna be alright here?”

 

“Ne Oppa. Don't worry Taeyeon should be home soon.”

 

We then bid our farewell and i hugged him and thank him for his hospitality.

 

Now all on my own i finally have time to overthink about everything.

 

I was nervous and excited at the same time.

 

it wasn't long until i heard the front door opened.

 

And there was the person who i've been waiting for


KIM TAEYEON.

 

#

 

 

 

Hey Guys!! 

First of all thank you to all the subscribers and i hope you do like the story ^^

Secondly im so sorry if i havent updated for quite some time well this story anyways as im just a co writer/editor in here i was forced by the owner to write this fanfic. :'(. Im just kidding but u decided to make this fic 3 chapters as i noticed that i got carried away writting and it would be a very long chapter. However i should be updating it soon and finish the story off. i just need to make some changes and my suffering is finally OOVEEERRR!! 

So please anticipate for it and please do comment and tell me what you think ^^

Till then . THANKS AGAIN GUYS ^^

 

-blue