The New Guy

Sequel to the Underworld and Heaven

Tiffany’s POV

I walk into the sweet shop and I’m greeted by the familiar aura. “Hey Tao.” I kiss his cheek before going to my counter.

“Hey.” He smiles at me. The door opens and look who it is, that girl Ashley from last month.

“Hello, how may I help you?” Tao asks.

“Hey handsome, how come you never called?” She pouts.

“Excuse me?” Tao’s eyebrows crinkle together.

“I gave you my number but you never called me back.” She says.

“I’m sorry but I don’t remember you.” He says with a blank face even though he’s lying.

“What?” Her eyes widen, she’s probably not used to being forgotten. She huffs and stomps out of the shop.

“She never buys anything, does she?” Tao laughs. “Still don’t like her, right?” He smirks.

“What made you think that?” I ask.

“You were looking quite angry when she came in.” He says, “What was her name again?” He asks.

“Ashley.” I say.

“Do angels have good memories for the people they hate?” He teases.

“Of course, fluffy!” I say. I grab a blueberry from behind me and throw it at him but he catches it in his mouth easily.

“Thank you, ooh a new nickname.” He grins.

“No problem, it’s a cute one too.” I go back to my work.

“Want to go get some cake?” Tao asks near the end of the day.

“With all this food, I’m gonna get fat.” I groan.

“Yeah right.” He says as he mops the floor. The door rings.

“Sorry, we’re cleaning up right now.” I turn around and come face to face with a cute guy with dark brown hair. He’s giving off a pure energy. “Are you an angel?” I ask.

“That obvious?” He asks in a happy voice.

“Yeah it was.” Tao smiles slightly.

“And what are you?” He asks Tao.

“Nothing important.” Tao says and keeps sweeping the floor.

“Oh, well the general said you’d be here.” The guy says to me.

“Why’d he say that? Who are you?” I ask.

“My name is Key and I’m new here, I was asking around for someone who knew the place so that I can keep it safe from the monsters of the Underworld.” Key says.

“That sounds nice.” I say. I glance at Tao who is still sweeping but with a strained expression.

“Do you mind giving me a tour now?” Key asks.

“Uh, sure.” I say. Tao puts the broom away and gets my coat.

“You two go, I’ll close up shop.” He puts my jacket on me.

“Okay.” Key smiles and opens the door for me.

“Thanks, see you later Tao.” I wave.

“So are you and the boy close?” Key asks.

“Yeah we are.” I say a bit miffed that he calls Tao “the boy”. I point out all the alleyways and stores until finally we get to the patisserie. “Want to get some cake?” I ask.

“Sure, why not.” He smiles.

“What kind of cake do you want?” I ask.

“Chocolate cake?” He suggests.

“Okay.” I go in and get it. He takes a bite and I’m surprised by how well he’s eating, or is it just because of Tao’s funny eating habits? I suppress a giggle at the memory.

“Something funny?” Key asks.

“Nothing important.” I say.

“Have you had any attacks here lately?” He asks.

“A few.” I shudder at the one from a month ago, we had had a few afterwards but nothing too serious, “But they weren’t too bad, the most recent one was a week ago.” I say.

“Okay.” He nods.

“You done?” I ask and he nods. I pack up the box and put it under my arm. “Well I’ll see you later.” I say.

“Yeah, bye.” His wings sprout and he flies up to heaven. I walk back to Tao’s place and knock on the door.

“Hey Fany!” Tao smiles at me.

“I brought cake.” I hold up the box.

“Cool.” He moves for me to come in. “How was the tour?” He asks.

“Alright, I wonder if he knows what you are, though.” I bite my lip.

“I don’t know, but that’s beside the fact that I was lonely and hungry.” He kisses me.