EXTRA - The Normal Ones

C&W Extended Reel [CLOSED]

prompt: what kyungsoo, yixing and joonmyun are alone together in the clubroom 

this is what happens when you leave the only three normal ones in the same room together

because these characters need a little more love

 

 

—∞—

 

                “Hey guys,” Kyungsoo says upon entering the room, before raising one eyebrow. “Wow. Pretty empty today.”

                “As it should be,” Yixing sighs before glancing over at the empty desk space next to him. “I don’t think Minseok will be out of class for another couple of hours so you can sit there if you want.”

                “Sure,” Kyungsoo replies, walking over and putting his bag down at his feet before sitting in Minseok’s chair. He peeks between the monitors. “Hey Joonmyun.”

                “Hey Kyungsoo. Haven’t seen you in a while.”

                “Yeah, you should drop by more often.”

                “I’ll try my best.”

                They fall into silence after that, not saying anything for a little while, so that the only sounds are the occasional mouse click and the sound of fingers striking against chunky keyboards. Every once in a while one of them would start flipping through a textbook, but then this would stop once they’d found the information they needed, and they’d relapse back into the same silence again.

                It grows to the point where the quiet begins to produce that weird whining hum in their ears, the way a television does when it’s still on but there’s nothing playing, just a blank black screen. Yixing glances at the clock and frowns when he sees that only ten minutes have passed. Kyungsoo begins to shift restlessly in his seat.

                There’s a sudden snapping noise, and both Yixing and Kyungsoo flinch. Joonmyun looks at them apologetically between the monitors. “Sorry, that was my Sprite can,” he says.

                “Oh, no, that’s okay,” Kyungsoo replies, relaxing a little bit but still looking uneasy.

                The silence stretches out again. Joonmyun scratches at his neck, and Kyungsoo hones in on the sound so that he’s staring at the action with the utmost concentration, and his gaze lingers for several seconds even after Joonmyun’s hand retreats to his lap. Yixing leans back in his seat and stretches his arms over his head, putting all of his weight onto the backrest of the chair so that it squeaks underneath him. The silence starts its high-pitched droning again.

                Kyungsoo clears his throat. “Are you guys done midterms yet?” he asks.

                “Yeah, I just had my last one yesterday,” Yixing answers, tapping a pencil to his notebook aimlessly.

                “I finished mine too.”

                “Oh, that’s good.”

                The drop off from speaking to silence suddenly sounded all the more noticeable in the completely still room. Joonmyun subconsciously begins to run his thumb over the lip of his sprite can nervously as he frowns into his computer screen. Yixing pulls out his phone and starts playing Doodle Jump but after losing the third round he just ends up fidgeting with the phone case. Kyungsoo becomes a little too absorbed in the little clicking noises his mouse makes when he uses the scroll wheel, without actually paying attention to what page he was scrolling on.

                “I heard they’re going to stop selling plastic water bottles on campus and stuff,” Kyungsoo tries again. “You know, to promote saving the environment and...yeah?”

                “Oh, really? I’ll have to buy one of their reusable ones then,” Joonmyun responds.

                “Haha, same.”

                “. . .”

                “So—”

                “Hey—”

                “Oh, sorry, you go first,” Yixing looks over at Kyungsoo.

                “No, it’s okay, you go ahead.”

                “You sure?”

                “Yeah, yeah, no problem, it wasn’t anything important anyway.”

                “Alright.” Yixing blinks. “Oh, wait, forgot what I was going to say.”

                “Oh, sorry.”

                “No, it’s okay, it’s not your fault, I’ll remember eventually. What were you going to say?”

                “. . . Shoot, I forgot too.”

                “Sorry about that—”

                “No, it really wasn’t anything important, it was just something stupid, it doesn’t really matter.”

                “Oh, okay.”

                Another pause. By this point Kyungsoo is practically sweating in his seat and Joonmyun is staring so hard at his screen that it was immediately obvious just by looking at him that he wasn’t focusing on what he was reading so much as he was focusing on pretending to be. Yixing’s starting to get this disconcertingly dazed expression on his face like he couldn’t remember where he was or what he was supposed to be doing, and the more he kept looking around the room as if in search of an answer the more confused he became.

                Just then Kyungsoo’s phone began to ring on his desk, and Yixing and Joonmyun’s gazes attach to it like a lifeline as Kyungsoo quickly snatches it up and answers it. “Hello?”

                It’s literally so quiet in the room that Sehun’s voice could be heard clearly through the empty echo. “Hey Kyungsoo, sorry to bother you but—”

                “SEHUN!” Kyungsoo practically yells, shooting up from his chair. “You’re not bothering me! Is something wrong?”

                “. . . Uh, yeah, I’m at the KFC in the Student Centre right now and I kind of ordered the 15-piece Family Feast set before checking my wallet and I’m like fifteen bucks short so I was wondering if you could—”

                “I’M ON MY—wait, did you say you got the 15-piece meal?”

                “Yeah?”

                “The one that comes with the extra-large box of fries and the two sides and everything?”

                “Yeah?”

                “. . . Were you just planning to eat all of that food on your own?”

                “. . . Yeah?”

                “. . . Alright never mind, I’ll be there in a minute so tell them to hold onto your food.”

                “You’re the best!” Sehun shouts happily into the phone. “I promise to share one of my chicken pieces with you.”

                “Appreciated,” Kyungsoo says before hanging up the phone and gathering his things quickly. “Well that was Sehun and he just ordered enough food for a family of six and he needs help paying for it so—”

                “I’ll go with you!” Yixing interjects, standing up as well. “I’m kind of hungry so I’ll see if I can bully Sehun for a chicken wing.”

                “I could use a walk,” Joonmyun adds, and without further ado the three of them evacuate the clubroom as fast as humanely possible.

 

 

 

                “So I’m getting pretty annoyed by this point, and I’m like, ‘Look, I get that the two of them are really similar, but the only reason why people think she plagiarized it is because Koushun Takami is the only other person on the face of the planet who’s done that idea.’ Think about it, everyone was raving about how amazing Avatar was but you don’t see people giving James Cameron for copying Pocahontas or Dances With Wolves or whatever because the idea’s been used so many ti—whoa,” Baekhyun blinks, as he, Jongin and Minseok all stop at the clubroom doorway to find it empty. “What the hell? This place looks like it was abandoned in a zombie apocalypse. Isn’t Kyungsoo usually here around this time?”

                “Yeah, he is.”

                “Yixing’s not here either,” Minseok frowns.

                “. . . Weird.”

                “Yeah.”