Chapter Four

Was there to protect you

Chapter Four

 

"You're kidding." Way whispered. "They are my friends!" She exclaimed and stared back at Gummi and Soyul. 

I shook my head and said, "No, I 'm not kidding. I know my feeling. My sense never disappoints me before." I, too, looked at them and nodded. "This time, it's real."

The three of us focused on the girls as if to inspect them mentally. I eyed the tallest girl, Gummi, first. She had a nice pair of legs that stood out even though she was wearing the hospital scrubs. And when she smiled, her cheeks rose and really matched her big eyes. Her beautiful smile never left her pink lips and her loose ponytail really gave out a matured aura around her.

I turned to look at the other girl, Soyul. She was so small standing next to the buffed Dr. Jung. Her hair looked so silky and shiny and when she moved her head, her hair fell perfectly around her. But what caught my eyes the most was her smile. The thing was that when she smiled, her eyes were smiling too, forming two crescents almost making her eyes seemed like they were closed shut.

"I hope you guys and girls, can help these two by showing them around. Gummi and Soyul," Dr. Jung paused and flipped his small book, "will be joining the first shift together with the five residents yesterday. You two can get to know your team for the time being while waiting for your shift to start. Okay, is there any question?" He asked but we shook our heads and he closed his book. "Okay, then. Any problem you can come to me." We bowed and he left before the second team went to start their shift at the ER, leaving me, Choa, Way, Doyoung, Chanmin and the newcomers.

"Ahh, Gummi unnie." Way jumped in front of Gummi and hugged her. Gummi just laughed. 

Choa and I strode closer. "Yahh," Choa smacked her sister's . "Aren't you going to introduce us?" 

Way let go of Gummi. "Gummi unnie, we are your teammates, this is Doyoung, Chanmin, Ellin and Choa, my stupid twin sister." She pointed at us one by one. Choa again smacked her at the upon the introduction.

"What? 'Stupid twin sister'? I'm telling Mum." She threatened but Way just rolled her eyes.

"Ah, Choa, Way used to tell me a lot about you." Gummi said and leant forward before added, "but don't worry, she only told me about your good points. I think she is really proud of you." Choa's face lit up as Way's blushed upon having her secret spilled. From what I could see, Gummi had a nice outgoing personality. There would be no problem to get along with her in the future.

"Oh, are you older?" Doyoung asked. 

"Oh, yes. I am a 1988 girl. I believe I am older than all of you. How old are you?" She asked everyone.

"We all are 1990 liner." Chanmin spoke and smiled. "So, can Doyoung and I call you two as nuna?"

Gummi unnie nodded. "Yes, sure. Oh! But, Soyul-ie is the youngest here, she a year younger than you so, just call me 'nuna'." Her answer received an interesting coo from Doyoung and Chanmin. They both giggled excitedly.

When they finally calmed down, Doyoung spoke, "We love to chat more but we have to go. Nice talking to you. If you're free, just call us, we can grab a couple cups of coffees together. Anyway, nice to meet you, nuna, Soyul-ie. We go first." They bowed slightly and went out from the office with the smiles still on their lips.

"Sorry about the boys, Soyul-ah. They are excited to meet a younger girl resident." Way said and Soyul just smiled.

"Oh, no, it's okay. Don't feel bad about it." Soyul spoke for the first time and her voice sounded so cute.

Choa noticed I was silent from the moment Dr. Jung left us and nudged me with her elbow. "Yah, say something. Don't be that obvious." She whispered in my ears. 

"What should I do?" I mouthed and she just nudged me to talk.

"Hello, I'm Ellin. I'm fine, thank you. And you?" I bowed.

"What are you doing?" Choa eyed me weirdly and I blushed. It turned out that I blurted out every English conversation I knew. I giggled awkwardly.

"Ah, she's cute." Gummi said. "Thanks." I smiled.

"Have you had your breakfast? If not, then we can grab something from the cafeteria." Choa asked. "Shall we?" We nodded and started to make our way to the cafeteria but I noticed Soyul fixed on her spot.

"Oh, you're not coming?" I stopped in my track.

"Hmm, actually, I have something else to do. You guys go first, I'll meet you there." Her hand reached Gummi unnie's arm and she said something softly that only the two of them can hear before Gummi unnie nodded, understand.

"Alright. See you." Gummi unnie said and Soyul waved her hand and walked off to the opposite direction. Gummi unnie turned to face us. "She has to meet someone. She said she'll make it up with us later. Now, let's go." We walked into the hallway when just then, my phone beeped and it revealed to be a text from a senior doctor. I read the message and let out a long grunt. 

"Why?" Choa asked.

"It's Dr. Hwang, he needs to see the progress of the report he asked me to prepare. Dang! Why must it be now?" I put the phone back into the scrubs pocket. "Guys, I'm sorry but I think I need to excuse from this. Sorry, Gummi unnie, I promise we'll hang out later. Got to go. Bye." I watched they go and slowly the weird feeling started to wear off too. I sighed, It's true, now that the two off them are gone, the feeling is gone too. I turned to jog off to my room quickly and fetched the files needed and went straight to Dr. Hwang's office.

At his office, I joined his briefing with the new doctors from the department of pediatric and handed in the report afterward. After commenting and correcting my report for an hour or so, he finally let me go. I stepped out of his office and bowed to Dr. Jung and went to find a canned coffee vending machine. Pulling out my phone as I sat on the bench, I noticed there was a text message from Choa from half hour ago.

From : Choa
To : Ellin

Yaah, are you done yet? We've been waiting like forever. What are you doing? Reply asap.

I smirked and put down the coffee to reply.

From : Ellin
To : Choa

I just finished. Right now, I am catching my breath with a canned coffee. Where are you?

I took a few gulps of the coffee and another text arrived.

From : Choa 
To : Ellin

Yaah, stop drinking the coffee, or you'll end up with a diabetes soon!! Anyway, we're done eating and everybody split up. Gummi unnie has something came up. Where are you going after this?

I typed in a reply and hit Send.

From : Ellin
To : Choa

Really? I just thought to meet up Gummi unnie and Soyul. Ah, what a loss! How are they? You think they are nice?

My phone beeped a few seconds later.

From : Choa
To : Ellin

They are soooooo nice! Glad to welcome some new friends into our gang. Gummi unnie was so funny, you should be here. And Soyul was so cute and cool at the same time. Ah, while we're on the topic, are you okay?

I raised my eyebrows. "What is she talking about?" I said to no one and replied her text.

From : Ellin
To : Choa

What are you saying? 

Another text arrived.

From : Choa
To : Ellin

You know what I'm saying. Your hero! You said she is one of these two. Are you sure?

I read the message and smiled. Sure thing what I felt was right. She was here just now, standing right next to me. Her presence was too strong, too intimidated but in a good way, that put me into a silent mode. I was shocked, nervous, happy, all emotions were dwelling inside me. 

From : Ellin
To : Choa

Yes, I am 100 percent sure.

Ting! My phone beeped.

From : Choa
To : Ellin

So, you're finally meeting your crush! Wow, I'm jealous.

"Jealous?" I murmured.

From : Ellin
To : Choa

Why suddenly?

From : Choa
To : Ellin

Nothing :) Anyway, who do you think is The One?

I smiled.

From : Ellin
To : Choa

Why don't we meet up later and talk?

Ting!

From : Choa
To : Ellin

You should have suggested that earlier!!!

_______________________________