Chapter Three

Was there to protect you

Chapter Three


Ellin-ah. Ellin-ah.

I heard someone calling me from a distance.

"Ellin-ah. Ellin-ah." Someone shook my body and brought me back to the present. I looked at Way. "Ellin-ah, are you okay?" She asked in worried.

I shook the thoughts out of my head and smiled. "I'm fine." A doctor coincidentally called me and I quickly went to his side. Silently, I thanked the doctor for saving me from Way's questions and the disturbing thoughts. I decided to ignore my feelings for awhile and spent the next few hours helping the doctors with the new patients and by half past lunch hour, the situation was finally under control. When the doctor allowed me to go, I stepped outside the ER and sat on the bench in the hallway. 

The thoughts that disturbed me earlier come back at me again. I bit my lips, didn't know if I could believe it or not. "Ahh, what is this?" I buried my face in my hands and grunted loudly. 

"Yah, you okay?" Someone asked me and when I looked up, there was Choa with a can of warm white coffee in front of my face. I took the coffee as she sat next to me. "Way told me that you seemed to be in shock in the ER just now. Are you okay?"

I sighed. "Choa-yah."

"Mmm." She answered.

"You know that every person in this world gives out different auras wherever they go, right?" I said but her confused face told me she didn't really get my points. "Like, an example, remember the night where you and Way came to my house for a sleepover? You were having your back facing me but you knew I was sneaking behind you even though you didn't really see me, because you said, 'Ellin-ah, I can feel your presence.' Remember?"

She nodded. "Oh, yes, yes, yes. I remembered saying that. How is that connected to what just happen to you just now?" 

"Remember this morning when I said I want to meet my hero?" I asked her and received a vigorous nod from her. "Well, I've found her today." She gasped.

"You've found her?" Her high note voice pierced through the hallway. She quickly covered and looked around. Luckily, no one was there except the two of us. "Really?" Her eyes had gotten bigger.

"Well, not really. But I can definitely sense her just now." 

"In the ER?"

I nodded. "In the ER."

"So, she was one of the patients?" She asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know. The only thing I am sure was her presence was the strongest when the car accident victims were brought into the ER. That was the reason why I froze just now." 

"Then, she might still be in this hospital somewhere. Not so many people can get an access to the ER. Other than the doctors, residents, EMTs, victims and the victims' relatives, there aren't so many people in the ER just now. So, are you going to find her?" Choa asked.

I heaved loudly. "I don't know. Should I?"

She pushed my arm with her elbow. "Yah, this morning you were the one who can't wait to meet your mysterious girl but when the chance is finally here, you're going to let it slide just like that?" 

"It's not like that. It's just that it was too sudden. This morning, I was still dreaming to meet her and now suddenly, she's here? Does it make any sense?" 

Choa sighed too. "Aigoo, if it doesn't make any sense, so what? You said it yourself, whatever I am saying, she is still your hero and you will meet her again. Now, the time is finally here. You don't have to wait anymore." I looked at her and she had an assuring smile on her lips.

I sat straighter. "Really? You think I should find her?" I asked.

And Choa smiled. "I think you should go for it." She shoved my shoulder, encouraging.

And sure enough, it fueled me. "Okay." But I quickly deflated. "But where should I start? This hospital is not that small. Hundreds of people are walking around in this hospital." I pouted.

"I know. We should start from the ER. Every outsider that go inside the ER has to log in their names. We can check there and know which wards the patients are admitted to." Choa, being the smart one, said.

"Really?" I smiled.

She stood up and extended her hand. "For now, let's have lunch and get back to work. When our shift ends tonight, we'll go together, okay?" I nodded and took her hand.

We met up with Way at the cafe for a lunch. Over the lunch, we exchanged the experience working  in the emergency department for the first time, cringing over the scary stories of how the car accidents happened, laughing at how Way almost being scolded by one of the senior doctors for retrieving the wrong prep kit but deep inside, I was half-nervous, half-excited to meet my savior. Will she be like how I expected her to be? I thought to myself.

Way, Choa and I continued our shift and by the time we were done, it was already 3 o'clock in the morning. The next group took over the shift and now, we had free time for the next 18 hours. I walked to the vending machine and purchased three canned coffees and went to the twins.

"Here." I handed them theirs. 

"Let's go." Choa said and we both walked together leaving the dumbfounded Way behind.

She ran to catch up with us. "Go? Go where?" She asked. I didn't tell Way about my savior and since she didn't know yet, we quickly filled her in about the story and our plan. As soon as she got the full story, she added, "Oh, I see. No wonder you look like you just saw a ghost. Your face was so pale, I was so worried, you know."

"Hee, sorry." I grinned.

"Then, what are we waiting for? Let's go." Way got excited and dragged both me and Choa towards the ER reception desk. We showed our ID cards and got the full access to the ER log book. Choa speed read through the logs and stopped. 

"These are the relatives of the car accident victims. Could it be that you recognized at least your hero's family name? We have a Kim, a Park, a Lee and a Son. Ring any bell?" She asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know." 

"Unnie, of course she don't know. It's not like the girl left her card when she saved Ellin. Babo unnie." Way cut in and Choa balled her fist.

"Stop it." I got in between them before they break into a fight. "What if we personally go to these victims' wards and see for ourselves? Okay." I put my arms over the twins's shoulder and dragged them away after thanking the receptionist. We went to the first and second ward for the victims with family name of Son and Lee but nothing. I felt nothing when I got nearer either the patients or their relatives.

"Any luck?" Choa asked.

I shook my head. "No."

"Don't give up, we still have two more wards. Let's go." Way dragged me to the next ward but still nothing. 

"Maybe, your hero wasn't here anymore." Choa said and placed her hand on my shoulder for comfort.

"Or, maybe it was just your feeling acting up." Way said, uninterested anymore. Choa's head and mine shot up abruptly and glared at her, startling her. "Or, maybe unnie is right. She might have left earlier than you thought." She gulped and sighed in relief when I looked away.

"It's okay, Ellin-ah, don't give up. Keep the faith in you. Fighting!" Choa cheered me on. 

"Mmm, fighting." I said, not totally in the mood.

"Let's get enough rest. Tomorrow morning, Dr. Jung wants us to meet up at his office at 8. He'll introduce the new residents to all." I nodded and Choa dragged me to our rooms.

The next morning started with the disappointed feeling of yesterday lingered over my mind. I didn't know how many times I sighed from the moment I woke up till I met up with the twins in front of Dr. Jung's office. I must have look so dragged when Way greeted me.

"Ommo, did you sleep wrongly? You look so...." she paused to find the correct word and continued, "....energyless." Way said.

"I believe the word you're trying to use is 'drained'. There's no such thing as 'energyless'." Choa commented and Way stuck her tongue out. "Anyway, Way is right. You look like you didn't catch any wink last night."

I walked over to the nearest vending machine and bought a hot canned coffee. "I kept thinking about yesterday and barely slept." I gulped down half of the coffee in one breath. "I'm really sleepy right now." I sighed, again.

A few moments later, Dr. Jung arrived and we gathered around him. I leant against Choa and barely able to keep my eyes open when suddenly, the familiar feeling enveloped me and sent me into a jolt. I stood straighter and startled both Choa and Way. 

"Why, what, why? What's wrong?" Way asked.

"The person." I turned to the twins. "She's here. I can totally feel her presence."

"Really?" Way asked. "Where?" The three of us craned our necks to look around but there was no one. "Where is she, Ellin-ah?" 

Dr. Jung cleared his throat loudly, purposely. "Who are you looking for, Way-ah?" He said and we stopped looking and smirked awkwardly. "Please pay attention to me. I wanted to say that good job on your first day in ER. The doctors said you guys, especially the five residents working the first shift did really well considering this is your first time." We all applauded for the good news.

Dr. Jung put his hands up and the applause stopped. "Anyway, there are two new residents I wanted to introduce to you. Please welcome them." He gestured at the door and everybody turned around. The strange feeling was getting stronger and heavier thinking that the person was really near. I fixed in my spot, refused to turn around. 

"Please come here." Dr. Jung said and the two new residents walked into the office. I braced myself to look up and saw two girls; a taller one had her hair tied into a loose ponytail and a shorter girl with her hair down and bangs covering her forehead, standing next to Dr. Jung.

"Please introduce yourselves." Dr. Jung said.

The taller one started. "My name is Baek Boram but goes by as Gummi. Nice to meet you." She bowed and received a round of applause.

The shorter one bowed and said, "My name is Park Hyekyung, nickname is Soyul. Nice to meet you."

My heart beat quicken. Now, I was really sure. I leant towards the twins and whispered, "She's here. She's one of the two."

____________________________________________

Ellin's mysterious girl is finally making her appearance. Who would you think is the one?