Chapter One

Was there to protect you

Last day of Med School; The day she saved me

It was the last day of college, I was finally graduated from the med school and already got a job at the local hospital. However, many things needed to be done on the last day, the paperworks and all and it was a raining evening, and I was waiting for the bus to arrive. It was now 6.45 p.m, surely I missed the 6.30 p.m bus and had for another 15 minutes for the next bus. Currently, there was no one with me at the bus stop, even the street was empty. Of course, it's empty, the last class has ended like 2 hours ago, babo-yah, I self-scolded myself. Mum would definitely kill me.

"Oh, what should I do?" I asked myself. I sat straighter and clear my throat, "'I'm sorry, Mum, but the school is ended and I have to get everything done by today if I want to spend my holidays with you. Plus, I got a good news, remember my friends, the twins? The three of us got the same job at the same hospital. We'll start our internships in two months, isn't that great?'" I exhaled. "Will she buy that?" I shook my head.

The rain still poured, showing no signs of stopping soon. I looked down at my watch and shocked when saw the time: 7.05 p.m. I quickly jumped to my feet.

"Heol, daebak. It's already late? What should I do? I can't even call Mum, damn this phone. I better bring my charger with me next time." I vented my anger on the innocent phone. "This is not working. Maybe I should catch a taxi from across the block."

I took my bag and ran into the rain. The rain had drenched my clothes. I hope the rain won't ruin my hair, I thought to myself. "Yaah, at time like this you still worried about your hair, Ellin-ah? Ahh, I'm so stupid!" I scolded myself again for a hundredth times.

I ignored the coldness that starting to numb my body but somehow, the coldness must be getting myself too numb that I wasn't realized a car was heading at my direction when I crossed the road to get to the other side. I saw the headlights of the car stared directly at me but I couldn't move my muscles. The only thing I remembered was the sound of the honk in the rain before I fell to the ground with a thud. I hit my head on the ground but I felt nothing. No pain at all and the coldness was quickly replaced with warmth. And another feeling enveloped me. It wasn't the coldness but something was making me feel chilly.

Someone opened the car door, perhaps the driver. "Oh my, is she okay?" A man asked. I couldn't get my eyes opened, probably due to the shock and the numbness I felt from the cold. 

"Yes, I think she is fine." A girl answered. "But still I think you should bring her to the hospital, just to ensure." The girl continued and then I realized, I didn't feel the rain drop stopped hitting my face when the girl covered my face with her hands. But the weird thing was the girl, she had something different about her. Adrenaline was released into my system as I could feel my heartbeat jumped suddenly along with my breathing got rapid. This girl is making me feel this way. She is something, I thought to myself. Unfortunately, I couldn't see her face as everything was in blur. 

"Yes, yes. We can use my car." The man said as I heard he opened the car door.

The girl pulled my left arm and hung it over her shoulder and placed her right arm against my body and pulled me up. "Ahjussi, can you please take her bag from the ground? Thank you." The girl placed me carefully in the back seat.

"Ah, can you please accompany me to the hospital? I never experienced this before, I really need your help." 

The girl paused. "Okay." She answered short. She sat with me at the back with my head on her laps. I could hear the girl's steady breathing against my skin and her calm heartbeats. Her warm hands laid on my arm as she prevented me from falling off her laps as the car drove towards the hospital.  

I tried my best to get my sense straight but failed and ended up unconscious. The next thing I saw when I opened my eyes were the IV drip wire and my worried parents.

"My daughter, you're awake. Thank God, you're fine." Mum grabbed my hand and kissed it. "Do you know how worried I was yesterday when you didn't come home?" 

"I'm sorry, Mum, I didn't mean it to happen." 

Dad placed his hand on Mum's shoulder. "She just woke up, don't make her stress again." He said to Mum before turning to me, "Ellin-ah, do you know what happened?"

I blinked, trying to recall yesterday's incident. "I was walking in the rain to catch a taxi home and a car almost hit me. Then, I blackout. That's it. What the doctor said?"

"Doctor said you were under a huge stress plus the rain and shock, you passed out. Luckily, nothing serious. We met the driver yesterday and he was really sorry. We won't take any charge on him." Dad explained and it hit me. 

"The girl, what about the girl?" I asked them, only to receive a confused stare. 

"What girl?" Mum asked.

"There was a girl yesterday, she helped me. The girl, you didn't see her?" I was getting impatient. Surely, there was a girl who saved me, I wasn't hallucinating, right?

"Ah!" Mum exclaimed, "there was a girl calling me yesterday to inform about your accident. But when we got here, the driver was the only one here." Her answers deflated my mood.

I really wanted to meet this girl. I wanted to thank her, no, a thank-you is not enough, I wanted to repay her. She was so cool, so brave to jump in front of the fast moving car and pulled out of the way. If only I can remember her face.

"Excuse me." A mid-forty man, holding a basket of fruits and a paper bag, greeted us and walked closer. "It's Ellin, right? I'm Lee Dooyeon, the yesterday's driver." He placed the basket and the bag on the bedside table and bowed. "I'm really sorry." He said, guiltily. 

I held out my hands to dismiss his apologize but Mum cut me first. "It's not all your fault actually. Ellin was wrong too for crossing the road absentmindedly. She should just call me to fetch her up."  Mum said as I frowned.

"I would have called you if it was because of the phone ran out of battery." I pouted.

"I'm truly sorry about yesterday, the rain made it harder to see but still, it was my fault for driving too fast. I should have seen her crossing the road. If it wasn't because of the girl, I don't know what will actually happen." The ahjussi said.

"See, Mum? There was a girl who saved me, I wasn't kidding." I said, excitedly. "Ahjussi, where is she?"

The man looked surprised. "Oh, you didn't know her?" I shook my head. The ahjussi began to retrieve something from the paper bag and handed it to me. "I thought she was your friend. She dropped this yesterday after helping you and I thought you could get this back to her but since she was a stranger, I think you should keep it."

I looked in my hand to see a white gold necklace. I was speechless. "What should I do with this?"

"I don't know, maybe one day you'll meet her again. And if you meet her, please relay my thanks." The ahjussi said and turned to talk to my parents. I looked at the necklace and wondered, Who was my saviour?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, again. The first fic tells how Ellin met the mysterious girl. At first, I wrote about the transition from high school to college but decided to change it to the last day of Ellin's medicine school, because something wrong with my initial plot. Anyway, next chapter will be about Ellin and her friends in their new workplace. Sorry, you, if I am confusing you.