1

It's Really Embarrassing

I know I haven't posted anything in years but I recently got into fanfics again -blushes- so here's a JongKey fic.

The First Time

“You sure you don’t need me to walk you back?” Jonghyun asks Krystal, worried about her being alone after midnight.

“Like I already told you, I’m fine. I do this all the time. Just go before you miss the last bus.” She waves him off nonchalantly before turning and walking away. Jonghyun watches her go until she’s out of his sight and then turns on his heel to walk to the nearest bus stop.

As he nears the bus stop he sees a large crowd of people, all loud and reeking of alcohol. Normally, Jonghyun would be like them but tonight he promised Krystal that they would hang out sober. He stays a distance from the group of people. Being around others who are intoxicated is no fun when you don’t have a drop of alcohol in you. Jonghyun watches them with slight amusement, not really wanting to get on the bus with 15 people who might throw up at any minute. When the bus pulls up though, he has no choice but to get on or walk the five miles back to his apartment. He pushes through the crowd and quickly sits down in the first open seat he spots.

Almost immediately, a young boy, probably a freshman who stinks of smoke and booze sits next to him. Jonghyun grimaces at the smell and hopes that he doesn’t end up with the boy’s stomach contents on his lap. Jonghyun keeps to himself, not bothering to look up or around at the people around him. That is, until a blonde-haired boy with high cheekbones says “Sorry, he’s pretty drunk. I’m just taking care of him. You know, his designated sober friend.”

Jonghyun nods and smiles a bit before looking back down, thinking that the so-called “designated sober friend” seems pretty drunk himself.

“You’re Korean, aren’t you?” The boy with high cheekbones asks.

“Uh, yeah.”

“Me too. I moved here in middle school though.”

“Cool. I came here my sophomore year in high school.”

“He had ten shots,” the boy says, ignoring Jonghyun’s previous comment.

“Oh, uh… ok.” Jonghyun doesn’t really know what to say and even though this boy is really cute, he doesn’t care to talk to him right now.

“You know, it’s really easy to spot other Koreans, since we grew up there for a while. You just know, right? When someone’s Korean. I’m losing my Korean though because I’ve been speaking English for a while,” the boy rambles on and Jonghyun can hardly hear him over everyone’s raised voices and the fact that he’s slurring a bit doesn’t help.

“I guess,” Jonghyun answers, hoping what he said makes sense in response.

“By the way, I’m Kibum.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m Kibum.”

“Yeah…”

“You’re not gonna tell me your name?” Kibum asks shyly, a disappointed frown crosses his lips.

“What? O-oh sorry, I didn’t hear you. I’m Jonghyun.”

“Nice to meet you.” A short pause. “Well, this is my stop. Maybe I’ll see you around.” He gently touches Jonghyun’s hand and smiles at him.

“See ya,” Jonghyun responds, smiling slightly.

Kibum grabs his friend and leads him off the bus, turning around to wave to Jonghyun and give a cheesy smile.

Jonghyun waves back, and can’t hold back his smile or hide the slight red tint on his cheeks.

 

The Second and Third Times

Jonghyun rolls over in his bed, blindly reaching for his phone. He feels the cold metal at his fingertips and clasps his hand around it. Opening his eyes and staring at the screen: 2 new messages.

The first one from his mom, asking how he’s doing. He chooses to ignore it for now and respond to the other message from Krystal.

From: Krystal Jung

I got back just fine btw

To: Krystal Jung

That’s good. Wanna grab lunch?

From: Krystal Jung

Sure sounds good. Minho’s coming too

They meet two hours later in front of a small café. When they sit down, Jonghyun almost bursts at how much he wants to tell them about the boy he met last night but he holds it in.

“You look really anxious,” Minho says. “You ok?”

“Huh? What? Oh, yeah. I’m fine,” Jonghyun stutters quickly.

Minho shrugs and looks and Krystal who gives Minho a confused look. “Did something happen last night on your way home?”

“What? No, no, no, nothing happened. I mean, I met this guy who was really cute and you know, he was about to leave but he turned around and waved to me and gave me a really sweet smile.”

“What’s his name?” Krystal asks.

“Lu-Ta-Uh, honestly, I can’t remember. I couldn’t really hear him,” Jonghyun admits, sighing. “Oh , when he introduced himself I said ‘yeah’. He said ‘my name is whatever’ and I ing said ‘yeah’. Oh my god how dumb am I?”

“Whatever. You’re not gonna see him again. You don’t know his name, you probably wouldn’t recognize his face or anything. What’re the chances you’ll run in to him again?” Krystal points out bluntly.

Jonghyun huffs and deflates, feeling defeated because Krystal was probably right. After eating, the three of them part ways to study. Jonghyun, however, barely finishes anything because he is too busy thinking about whatever-his-name-is. The boy with nice cheekbones and blonde hair. But that name is too long so Jonghyun starts to refer to him as his bus lover for brevity’s sake.

Two weeks later, Jonghyun and his friends are knees-deep in homework so they spend every night at the library together, studying until late. On a Tuesday night, Jonghyun leaves the library at 23:17, the first one to leave among his friends. He walks by himself to the bus stop, dragging his feet on the pavement as he goes and humming a tune that he made up on the stop. He stands under the street light at the bus stop, not really looking at anything, just standing there and humming quietly. A boy with blonde hair and high cheekbones stands next to him and glances in Jonghyun’s direction. Jonghyun recognizes him as his bus lover but doubts himself. What are the chances?! Zero! It’s not him so don’t get excited. But the boy keeps looking over at Jonghyun, glancing at him for a quick second, then a little bit longer, and finally straight out staring at him.

“Excuse me, but aren’t you the guy I met on the bus a while ago?”

“H-huh?” Jonghyun sputters, shocked that the boy recognizes him after two weeks. Well, 17 days to be exact, not that Jonghyun had been counting. “No? Maybe? Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah!” God what a ing idiot. Calm down.

“Yeah, I thought I recognized you but since I was pretty drunk I couldn’t be sure.”

“Uh-huh. I, uh, I’m sorry but what’s your name again?”

“I’m Kibum. And you are…?”

“Jonghyun, I’m Jonghyun.”

“Well, nice to meet you for the second time, Jonghyun. The first time that I’m sober.” Kibum chuckles lightly and the smile reaches his dark eyes which Jonghuyn avoids.

A bus pulls up a bit down the road. “Oh, that’s the bus I’m supposed to take. I took the other one last time to take my friend home. But it’s so far away.”

“You should probably hurry if you want to take it,” Jonghyun says quietly.

“I’ll just take the one you’re taking. It’s not a far walk anyways.”

Jonghyun’s heart skips a beat. No, he’s taking it because he doesn’t want to walk to the other bus. Don’t get your hopes up.

They talk comfortably for a bit, mostly about Korea until the bus comes and they both walk on. Kibum, in front of Jonghyun. Do I sit next to him? Is that ok since we don’t really know each other? Do I sit somewhere else? Won’t he think I’m being rude if I sit somewhere else? Because he had only a second to make a decision, Jonghuyn sits next to Kibum, looking over at him for a reaction. Is he annoyed that I decided to sit next to him? Jonghyun can’t read Kibum’s emotions. They continue talking about Korea when the topic drifts to food that they miss the most.

“I think I just miss getting street food. I mean, I can cook whatever I want but it’s not the same as sitting on the street and eating,” Kibum says.

“Yeah, I kind of at cooking but every once in a while I can make something decent,” Jonghyun laughs.

“I think I’m pretty good at cooking,” Kibum responds cheekily.

“Well, you’re gonna have to cook for me sometime.” Oh why’d I say that. Jonghyun cringes at his own desperate words and glances at Kibum’s face but there’s no emotion.

“Here’s my stop,” Kibum says when the bus halts abruptly. Maybe I’ll see you around, since we seem to run in to each other.”

“Yeah,” Jonghyun responds weakly, still embarrassed.

This time, the influence of alcohol gone, Kibum doesn’t turn around to wave good bye, he just walks away, maybe never to be seen again.