Chapter 12: Connection

Somewhere in Time

2014

 

Kim woke up with the sun greeting her eyes, everything was still a blur, her head was still aching and spinning. She tried to sit up, she rubbed her eyes and scanned the room she was in. “Pie..” Kim murmured. It was Pie's room yet it was different, then she felt something move on her left hand. “Kim..” it was a familiar voice. Then the girl raised her head and brushed her hair back, it was Yam. “Hey, are you alright? You're finally back.” Yam said as she sits next to Kim, rubbing her cheek. “I was so worried about you. You were gone for so long.” Yam checks Kim's forehead for her temperature. “Pie!” Kim exclaimed. “I have to go back, I need to see her.” Kim stood up but Yam held her arm. Kim looked turned back at Yam. “Kim, the storm has passed. The wormhole is closed.” Yam stood up and hugged Kim. “I missed you teenager. What happened to you?” Kim hears Yam sobbing. “Hey, don't cry. It's not like I'm dead.” Kim replied as she tries to comfort Yam. They both sat down on the bed. Kim looked around, it was Pie's room alright, but everything feels different, especially Pie not being there. Then she looked at Pie's picture on the side table. “I met her Yam. She's more beautiful in person. Too bad I didn't see this one happen.” Kim held Pie's picture and stared at it. “Kim, she's from another time. It's not a long distance relationship, you and Pie do not exist in the same world.” Yam explained. Yam's words struck Kim. “Then what is the purpose of me, traveling back in time to meet her? Just a cruel joke from god, or my punishment?” Kim sighed and lied back on the bed. “Why can't you just be with someone in your own time? Why can't you just be with me?!” Yam didn't mean to say those words, she covered her lips and looked at Kim for her reaction.

 

1914

 

Pie cried herself to sleep while holding the letter Kim left for her. She read the letter and it only made her feel more guilty and worst, miss Kim more.

 

Dearest Princess Pie,

             First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking me in. I know how odd and scary it must have been for you take in a total stranger. You have been a very kind and caring friend, I owe you a lot. I will miss our afternoons of investigating and talking about the future, the past and especially the present. I will miss seeing your sweet smile every time I wake up, the way you pout when you're annoyed, the way you play the piano and the way you look at me. These past few weeks, I was very confused. At first, I thought you were mad at me for letting Jane inside my room. About that, Jane confronted me about us, and why we cannot be together, but she does not know I'm a girl and I'm from the future. She just pointed out the gap between me and you. Nothing happened, I swear. I love you Pie, only you. I can never betray your trust. I tried clearing it up with you but you wouldn't speak to me, you can't even look me in the eyes. Then I saw you with Van, you seemed happy and content, that's when I realized you were not mad at me, you just didn't feel the same way or you realized that there's no hope for what we have and that you were better off with Van. I understand that, I think choosing Van is best for you. You have a very interesting life ahead of you Pie, remember, only you can say yes or no to anything that involves your life. Don't let anyone decide for you, live your life. I will surely miss you, thanks for everything Pie. Take care and always look ahead. I love you.

Time Traveler Prince

 

Pie woke up with her eyes red and swollen, she asked Aunt In to bring her Kim's clothes and the leather notebook. “Aunt In, she left.” Sob..       “And it's all my fault, I didn't even tell her I love her.” Sob.. “I've hurt her so bad, I don't think she'll want to come back here. I was so stupid.” Pie sobs on Aunt In's shoulders, Aunt In rubs her back like and comforts her. She was surprised about everything that Pie said. “There, there Ms. Pie. Miscommunication is very common with young lovers, take a look at Romeo and Juliet..” Pie cuts Aunt In. “I don't want to be like them! There's nothing romantic about lovers dying because of miscommunication, nor lovers being separated forever.” Then she remembered, it was exactly what Kim said to her back in the hotel. She hugged Kim's read shirt and tried to think of her face. Pie has no photo of Kim, she keeps on remembering her smile, that naughty grin and those melting stares, but all she can remember is the helpless look on Kim's face when she tries to talk to Pie. It tore her apart, but she was more afraid of forgetting Kim's face.

 

2014

 

Kim looked at Yam with much surprise, she did not know what to say. Then Yam took all the courage she has inside her and lowered herself on Kim and looked straight in the eyes, her hands caressed Kim's cheeks then she kissed her. When their lips parted, Yam moved away from Kim and sat on the bed. “There it is Kim. There's all the courage I have, I should have done it ages ago, if I can travel back in time, that's the first thing I'll do. Maybe right now, I'm not losing you to someone who does not even exist anymore.” Yam starts to tear up, Kim sat up and hugged her. “Hey, you wouldn't lose me to anyone. I'm still your best friend Yam. You're all I had when my family disowned me, you were the only one there when mom died. I'll never forget those things.”

 

The next day, Kim reported back to work. She was still accepted by her boss through Yam's explanations. She started to work on the arch. Kim didn't look at their notebook, she just wanted to concentrate on her work for now. And she was still in pain, she still remembers Pie's cold treatment, but one thing bothered her. Why did Pie ran for her the night she returned to the future? Everything that happened the weeks before totally contradicted Pie's reaction when she was about to leave. Days passed and Kim still didn't look at the notebook, then she saw the grand piano, she opened it. Yam has restored it so looked new, Kim shook her head and continued her work. After an entire day's work, Kim decided to skip dinner and go back straight to her room. She took a shower and put on some fresh clothes, she lays on her comforter next to the bed, when she turned, she saw their leather notebook. It has aged, and the cover was dusty and the pages were yellow. She read from the first page and continued until her last entry, she was about to close it when she saw that there was more written on the next page: “Kim, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you.” Then Kim flipped to the next page, it was blank, but the strangest thing happened. She saw Pie's hand writing slowly emerging from the page: “C-o-m-e—b-a-c-k--t-o--m-e” Kim was even more startled when the ink starts to blot, like it got wet. Kim checked if there was rain or any leaks but there was none, then she realized, it was Pie's tears that blotted the ink. She touched the phrase and felt a weak electric current flow through her. “I'm coming, Pie.” Kim whispered as she held the notebook.

 

1914

 

Pie has just finished writing to Kim in their notebook, it was the only connection that she has now to Kim. She misses her so much, she hugged her pillow and looked at the notebook again, then she starts to tear up. A couple of tears fell on the notebook which blotted the ink, when Pie tried to rub it away, she felt a weak electric current flow through her. For some weird reason, it gave her a feeling of relief, a feeling that only Kim can give her. Then she closed the notebook and hugged it tight, she closed her eyes and tried to remember Kim's face, tonight was her lucky night, she dreamed about the time when they kissed on the piano.