Chapter Three - Part 2: Friday, September 12th 2014

When Love Comes Knocking

"Now," Ms. Im sighed, clearly tired of the rowdy children who were excited for the end of the day. "Whatever pages you didnt finish are for homework, which means I expect it to be done for tomorrow. Please have it ready for a homework check."

Bora nodded and quickly made a mental note to finish the last page that she didnt have time to finish and made an effort to quickly pack up in order to meet Baekhyun right after class, so he wouldnt have to wait long for her. She placed her pencil case in last and zipped up her white Jansport and placed her favourite novel in her small fragile arms. 

"Oh!" Ms. Im called out to Bora before she had the chance to leave the premise. "Can you do me a favour?"

"Ne?" She smiled somewhat bitterly. She just hoped it wouldnt take too long, she could never say no when it came to a request. "What is it seongsaengnim?" 

"I was hoping you could help me bring these stacks of paper to my office, I'm going to be late for my first staff meeting and I was hoping you could help me out."

"Umm..."

"Its fine if you can't--"

"N-No!" Bora chirped. "I dont mind, I can do it! Where is your office?"

Ms. Im smiled gratefully and thanked Bora, this is why I cant say no... she thought. She loved seeing people smile and making their day easier. She quickly grabbed the large stack of paper, it was quite heavy for a stack of thin sheets. They were the mini quizzes the class had completed that period and the stack went over her head, forcing her to either look on one side or walk sideways altogether. 

"Its room 301," She stated before she left. "Here are my keys, its the one with the number 15 on it, Okay?"

Bora nodded and watched her leave. She sighed once she was gone and chided herself for making Baekhyun wait, she'd have to walk up the stairs to the third floor and then back to the front gates. 

Bora placed the papers back down and messaged Baekhyun that she'd been asked to help her teacher and so she'd be a few minutes. He didnt respond but it showed that he'd seen the message, she nodded contently and made her way to Ms. Im's office with the tall stack. 

 

 

 

 

 

She'd never really been on the third floor, seeing as how all her classes were on the first and second level, she was having a bit of trouble finding the office. She'd sworn she'd walked the level at least six times, just as she was about to explode in frustration a janitor came to her rescue and helped her find her way. Ms. Im's office had been the tiniest room stuffed between a storage closet and another classroom. 

 

The janitor left her and she thanked him quickly. Bora jiggled the door knob but it wouldn't open... 

 

Oh right... I have the keys. Hahahaha...

 

She held the stack of papers in one hand and pressed it against the wall in attempts to balance it. She used the other hand to grab the keys in her back pocket and as she fumbled with all the different keys, she'd finally found the key with the number '15' on it.

She took a deep breath and adjusted the papers against the wall. She took the key carefully and stuck it into the door lock. Man, I hope Baekhyun isnt angry. Just as she left her mind falter to Baekhyun, he'd appeared out from the corner and scared her.

She threw her arms up in the air, causing the papers to fly up into the air along with her arms and slowly swooped back onto the ground. The keys too, fell along with the sheets with a loud jingle. She stared wide-eyed at him; no one moved or said a word, not until Baekyhyun let out a deep breath of annoyance.

"Must you be so..." He shook his head and covered his face with his hands. "You are such a pain."

"I am... so so sorry." She said slowly, full of dread and shame. "I am a klutz and I really am a pain." 

Baekhyun didnt answer, but instead bent down to help her pick up all the fallen sheets. Bora frowned and repeatedly apologized as they rebuilt the stack together.

 

Soon enough they finished collecting the papers and placed them on Ms. Im's desk and made their way to Baekhyun's home for dinner. He had called in and alerted them of their time of arrival and Bora felt even worse for making them wait. How rude of me... she thought. Baekhyun noticed her unease and laughed to himself quietly.

"I'm really sorry," Bora spoke again, it soon seemed as if she'd been chanting a sutra of apologies. Baekhyun had just about enough of her apologies and began to hate himself for having to listen to what everyone told him to do. Why do I have to be nice? No one is nice to me but my family... do I have to care for others?! I am perfectly fine alone...He thought to himself with a deep frown on his face.

"I'm really--" Bora began once again as she stared at her feet.

"Can you shut up?" He snapped. Baekhyun stopped walking immediately, even though they were a few houses away from his home. "I honestly do not understand why you care so much. We are only late by an hour, its not that bad okay? Can you just chill?"

"I'm sorr--"

"No, No more Sorrys!" He growled. "Can you just be like a normal person and stop being so damn nice and polite and perfect--"

"Byun Baekhyun!" A voice growled back dangerously. Baekhyun's body went rigid and his face became stone cold. The body that fit that voice wobbled forward and seemed to roll up a roll of papers. He smack Baekhyun on the back of his thick head with a 'thunk'. "Is that how you treat such a nice lady? Can you stop acting like such a brat?"

"Halebeoji..." He sighed at his bad luck. "I-- She was annoy--- I'm sorry. I'll go in first then. See you at Dinner."

Before Bora could say anything, she was left alone with his grandfather-- Not that is was a problem but she was a pretty shy person plus, she liked having Baekhyun by her side. There was something about the boy that amused her.

Bora stood there silently in front of Baekhyun's Halebeoji until she realized she had never introduced herself yet!

"O-Oh," She stuttered. "Baek Bora imnida! I am so sorry for not introducing myself the first time we met Halebeoji."

"Its alright dear," He chuckled. "I'm grandpa Byun to you okay? Pleased to meet you officially."

"Nice to meet you too grandpa Byun."

"How are you dear?" He smiled cutely at Bora. His wrinkles began to collect around his eyes and forehead. "Was your walk home alright? Were you cold without your gloves?... Baekhyun did give them back right?"

"Oh yes," Bora nodded politely with a small smile upon her face. "I got them back from him. He was also very helpful when he walked me home that night."

"He walked you home?" He seemed amused and eyed her curiously. "How? Are you two dat--"

"N-N-No!"

"Oh..." He replied somewhat sad at her response but not at her shy reaction; he saw a spark of hope. "Well, how did you two end up walking home?"

Bora took a moment to think of her answer... would she tell him the part about the drunk men? or just the part where she had gotten lost in the wrong area and he had luckily been there? It wasnt a tough choice really...

"I was lost and he was there," She smiled as they began walking. "I had gotten lost in my thoughts as usual you see, I ended up in a part of town I wasnt familiar with. Baekhyun had been a great help! Your family raised him well. "

"If only that were true..."

Bora gulped... had Baekhyun told him about the real story on how they met? By her being chased by drunk men? She simply didnt want Grandpa Byun to worry about her. 

"He is just horrible..." He continued. Bora relaxed her shoulders and took a deep breath. She at lying and hated doing it. "He has the worst attitude, I swear if she wasn't my youngest grandson, I'd beat him everyday until he had your manners."

"Oh," Bora chuckled nervously at his serious face. "He's not so bad, I can tell he's a good person. Though his personality is sort of rigid and hard to get used too, he's got a good heart."

"Please keep that in mind always my dear," He laughed. As soon as they reached the Byun's home and entered the front door, Grandpa Byun began yelling the rest of his words in order to indirectly discipline Baekhyun. "And maybe you'll be the one destined for him! HA, this boy is probably going to end up alone with his BAD attitude. Please take care of him."

Bora blushed and nodded politely as she always did. She slipped off her shoes and followed grandpa Byun to the kitchen. Strangely, there was no one there. She had expected to see Baekhyun's mother or father but the kitchen was empty. 

"Lets start dinner alright?" Grandpa Byun shouted as he clapped his hands. "I prepared some pork belly for dinner tonight for our guest!"

"Oh, you didnt have too!" Bora cried. "I'm nothing special."

Baekhyun had heard the words "Pork Belly" and "Dinner" and immediately hopped down the stairs to eat. 

​"Got that right..." He mumbled to himself as he took a seat at the table. "Lets eat."

Grandpa Byun frowned at the boy and shook his head before guiding Bora to her seat. He brought out the table grill and Bora immediately offered to grill the meat for everyone. 

"No dear," He refused her help since she was the guest. "Baekhyun can do that."

"What?" He blurted from his silent trance. "I am doing what? Why me?"

"Its fine grandpa Byun," Bora restated. "I can grill the meat!"

"No," He put his fist down. "Baekhyun will do it..."

Grandpa Byun eyed Baekhyun furiously and he surely noticed. Baekhyun gulped and grabbed his chopsticks and started to grill everything. 

"Then can I get the water?" Bora asked nicely. "I should help out too since you have provided us for the meal."

"There is a pitcher of water in the fridge dear."

Bora nodded and went to retrieve the pitchers and glasses that were set by the sink in a drying rack. She poured water in grandpa Byun's glass and Baekhyun's. 

"Thank you for the meal grandpa Byun!" She bowed slightly as she grabbed her chopsticks. Unlike Bora, Baekhyun had already started eating and showed no table etiquette. "We'll eat well~!"

"You're welcome dear," He laughed at her refreshing attitude unlike his grandson's. He glared at Baekhyun but he had been to busy stuffing his face with wraps that he failed to notice. "Enjoy!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          After they had finished eating, Bora had fought her way towards dish duty and quickly finished cleaning the kitchen. Baekhyun groaned at the sights of her manners and polite ways whereas his grandfather loved her even more for them. Baekhyun hated bright people like her, they were too nice and happy all the time. He assumed they were all fake and simply used it to please others like Bora had pleased his grandfather. How could a person be so content all the time? For example, when she was asked to help out her teacher... why had she said yes? Was she that obliged to help? 

Baekhyun cleared his thoughts as his grandfather's voice boomed from behind him. He whipped his head back and stared at the old man in confusion.

"What?" He blinked innocently, though grandpa Byun was not happy about his rude words. "Why are you yelling?"

"WALK HER HOME YOU BRAT!!" He raged. He had been asking him for the past ten minuted as Baekhyun simply lost himself in his thoughts. Bora shook upon hearing his loud voice boom throughout the house. Baekhyun seemed just as frightened as she was and quickly nodded as he went to go grab his jacket and shoes. 

"Thats how you get things done around here.." He laughed to himself. "You should try it when he doesnt listen, okay Bora?"

"I dont think I can pull it off that well..." She muttered. "I dont think I'd get him to move that quickly either..."

"Well better start practicing, it'll be a life saver in the future when you two start date.. I mean, since he doesnt listen often." 

Bora blushed but easily ignored his original thought he'd almost said.... Us? D-D-Dating? Ha..ha..ha, no way.

 

 

 

 

"Thank you for walking me home Baekhyun-ssi," Bora squeaked, clearing the silence. Baekhyun twitched from hearing his name with "ssi" added and frowned slightly. "I really appreciate it."

"Dont call me that," He grumbled in a low voice. He had been exceptionally nice to her in his opinion and was starting to get tired of it. It wasnt that Baekhyun hated being nice its just that he wasnt used to it and it was an effort to be it. He was confused on how Bora was so nice all the time. He couldnt believe it to be true, he had believed she were faking it but no.. she was truly, sincerely, the nicest person on earth... not to mention innocent. 

"O-Oh," Bora blushed. "I'm sorry, did I say something wrong?"

"Just Baekhyun is fine, no need to apologize." 

"A-Alright!" She smiled as he turned away with a slight tint of pink covering his cheeks. She enjoyed this side of Baekhyun and wondered why he was such a grump most the time. He was quite nice really, she wondered why he kept that side of him hidden and how he did it so well. She knew he had a good heart underneath that mask of his. "So Baekhyun, tell me about yourself."

"Whats there to tell?" He chuckled. Bora was surprised by the sudden sound that came from Baekhyun and smiled. "My name's Byun Baekhyun, I'm a few months older than you, I live in Seoul, I--"

"Something I dont already know would be nice," She joked sarcastically, showing a new side of herself. Beakhyun smiled--internally and kept his cool on the outside-- at her more sassy side and appreciated the fact she wasnt just a nice little angel. He wanted to know more about her, she seemed...different. "What do you do in your spare time? Any special interests? Hobbies? Family stories? Siblings? Do you work?"

Boy did she ask a lot. He was thrown off by her curiosity, had the girl gone mad? Baekhyun questioned whether or not he should have opened up to her or not but of course old habits dont die so easily. He ended up getting annoyed at having to think so much about his actions when he was around her and decided to simply keep his attitude the same. No need to change for just one overly nice and polite girl, who does she think she is? Ha. Why am I thinking so much?

"Why do you care," He took a deep breath before beginning his answer to her rambles. He shook his head and walked a couple meters ahead of her with his long strides, she met his pace and tried her best to keep her coughs, due to her fastened pace, silent.  He noticed and grew concerned and slowed down. "I dont have a job yet, I work in the summer usually."

"Thats all your going to tell me?" She tried pushing him on further but he didnt seem to budge. Byun Baekhyun seemed to be a stubborn one for sure but maybe thats why she was so amused by him. Though his negative attitude was a strong defense to her perky and polite ways of interacting with others, she was sure she'd make a friend out of Byun Baekhyun. What was it about him? 

They had reached her home and they stood outside her driveway.

"I hope we can be friends from now on Baekhyun," She smiled sincerely, as she held out her hand."Lets get to know one another."

Baekhyun simply stared at her outstretched hand, her finger nails had a plain pale yellow colour painted on and her fingers were nice and slender. He did a once over and stared at her face next. Why did she seem so sure they could be friends? She looked so innocent and sincere, something that he could never pull off.

"No," He scoffed. Regardless of his answer and tone, Bora simply smiled. Why?

 

 

 

 

 


Because... Byun Baekhyun was smiling too, even if it was a fragment of one, it still counts.