Chapter Three: Friday, September 12th 2014

When Love Comes Knocking

Baek Daehyun.... Bora thought in her head. He had managed to fall down the stairs, land on his feet and then sprain his ankle. How? Then again she was just glad he wasnt too injured. He had a record of being careful and almost never getting into trouble or danger, but one lazy step and he falls down the stairs? He even got up normally... how on earth did he sprain his ankle from getting upHow? She was puzzled but smiled at her dear brother. 

Daehyun, Bora's new furry friend had seemingly laughed at her brother's clumsiness and had grown even more fond of his significant other. Bora felt as though the two were a perfect match; they were like twins. Danny had freaked last night once she had brought Daehyunnie into the house. He refused to keep him in his room in order to keep his presence a secret from their mother, but knowing his sister, he had to. Bora always got her way, and it wasnt because she was dying and they pitied her, it was because she was the ruler of the "Sad eyes" move. 

Bora helped him up and sat him down on the couch in the living room by the front door. She squeezed lightly around the swollen area and shook her head.

"It really is sprained..." She sighed sadly. "Are you okay?"

Daehyun barked as if he were asking if he were alright as well. Danny smiled at him and ruffled his fur as he sat closer to him.

"I'll be fine!" He shouted once more after Bora asked him repeatedly if he needed help or if he felt dizzy or possibly nauseated. 

"Are you sure?" She nagged endlessly. "Did you need--"

"Noona..." He whined, waving her off pulling Daehyun onto the space beside him. "Just go to school okay? I'll call mom and let her know so she can call the school to tell them of my absence."

"Okay okay Mr. Im-all-mature-now-so-I-dont-need-help-from-my-big-and-loving-sister-baek-bora." She spoke quickly causing him to simply giggle at her amazing moment of comedy. She didnt realize but most of what she said when her sarcastic and evil side shone was quite hysterical. 

"Yes, my dear big and loving sister," He teased. "Thats right! Now get going. I can handle myself okay? Get going before you're late, and be careful when you are walking alone!"

"Will do!" She smiled as she pat his head. He growled slightly and shook his head, trying to get her to stop but failed. "I'll call you later during my break okay? Love you Danny boy."

He smiled sadly at his big sister. She never failed to say "I love you" to him, regardless of the situation or time, she always said it. He would really miss moments like these, he blinked back those negative thoughts and replaced them with the image of Bora putting on her shoes in front of him before leaving the door and locking it behind her. 

He sat there staring at the door and remembered the time she was teaching him to tie his shoes and told him to try by himself. He laughed at the thought of her face when she returned from the kitchen only to find his laces taped together in a tree shape. She laughed so hard. She even cried from laughing so hard. He smiled and laid down on the couch before calling his mom and letting her know about his accident. 

 

 

Bora skipped her way to school since she couldnt run due to her current state. So skipping would have to do, at some point she even started fast walking, either way she looked like an idiot but she didnt care. She smiled at the thought of her jumping down the street and laughed quietly to herself. Just before she tried hopping like a bunny, she made it to the frot gates of Yongshik High. She grinned at the large building and made her way up the steps quickly, realizing she was just on time with maybe even a few minutes to spare.

"Bora!" Mrs. Lim called from the office door. Bora stopped moving and turned back to face her. She totally forgot to say hello to her first thing on the first day of school, Bora was too excited seeing her Danny boy go to high school. She mentally slapped herself and jogged to the office just a little down from her current spot in the hall. "Bora dear! C'mere!"

"Mrs. Lim~" Bora sang as she entered the office. She checked her white watch and nodded at the time; she still had 5 minutes left to get to class. "How are you? I'm sorry for not saying hello on the first day! I forgot."

"Its alright dear," She smiled sadly at Bora's cheery face. "How are you? Doing well I hope?"

Bora knew what she meant, Mrs. Lim had been very sad to hear about her condition because she was such an empathetic person, she gripped Bora's hand and gave it a squeeze. 

"I'm doing fine," Bora nodded slowly. She squeeze her hand back and Mrs. Lim slowly released hers. "I feel normal."

Except when I run that is...she thought. She hated lying but this was the only exception. She never told anyone about her condition and how bad her condition was no matter what. Only a few knew the truth, her family and the staff at the school. A few students believe that she just had a weak immune system, which was partially true, but they just didn't know the fact she would be buried underground in a year or two. She didn't enjoy receiving pity or any form of special treatment and so kept her secret a secret all her life. 

"Thats good to hear dear!" Mrs. Lim laughed happily. "Well, I kept you here long enough. Why dont you get to class? I'll inform your homeroom teacher you were talking to me if you're late okay?"

"No need," Bora shook her head at the thought of inconveniencing her, she held her hands up in defense and readjusted her backpack straps over her shoulders. "I'll make it just in time, I still have 2 minutes!"

Mrs. Lim shook her head and lead Bora out. Bora jogged as fast as she could up the stairs towards her homeroom on the second floor. She made it just as the bell rang and soon the teacher joined as well. 

"Morning!" The entire class greeted.

Bora smiled at her surroundings and stared blankly out the window as the teacher wrote some math equations on the board. After a few minutes she refocused her eyes to the board just as Mr. Lee called her up to help jog the other students memories on how to do the problems on the board. She nodded and made her way up to the board and easily solved the problem. 

"Hey!" A voice shouted from behind her as she put the dry marker down. "You're..."

"Baekhyun-ssi?" She smiled as she turned around from his sudden chatter. "I didnt know you were in my class! Its nice to see you."

He nodded slowly still considering how he felt about her, for some reason, he didnt know why he wanted to know her. 

The class blinked a few times and were no doubly questioning their relationship but soon were interrupted by Mr. Lee. He motioned for her to take her seat and continued the lesson.

Baekhyun took the chance to make his way over to Bora's desk, which was on the opposite side, and sat in an empty desk beside her. The desk was empty because a student was currently on vacation and was seated next to Bora. Bora shook her head and focused on Baekhyun's fingers poking her shoulders. She realized she was stuck in another daze and thanked Baekhyun mentally for getting her out of it. 

"Here," He whispered as he slipped something out from his pockets and dangled them in front of her face. "I had no idea it'd be you who helped my grandpa. He asked me to give these to a girl in classroom 3B, who was possibly the most polite and decent person in our generation. When he realized he didnt know you're name, he ended up describing her and even offered to come find you himself."

"Oh how could I forget to introduce myself!" She scolded herself. Baekhyun suppressed a smile and nodded. "I am so sorry! But wait-- How'd you know it was me that gave him those gloves?"

"After hearing his description and then seeing you in this class finally," He explained quietly. "It just clicked in my head. Now are you going to take the gloves or what?"

"O-Oh yes," She grinned. "Sorry about that."

Bora reached for her white gloves and smiled sweetly at Baekhyun, who just looked plain bored. Bora began feeling the awkward atmosphere and so had Baekhyun. He suddenly remembered the other thing his grandfather had told him to do... Ask her to dinner...

"So um..." He mumbled coolly. "You.. Um.. are you well... busy tonight?"

"Oh!" She clapped quietly but still struck the attention of some peers. "Dinner tonight right?"

"Yeah," He nodded slowly. He was happy she knew what he meant, he hated asking people things or even talking to others. He was only really fond of his friends. "My grandpa wanted you to join us for dinner tonight."

"I'd love too!" She smiled. She tucked her gloves into her backpack and reached for a pen from her bag. She ripped off a corner of her paper and wrote down her number. "Here, call me when you think I should come over for dinner."

"Um.." He blankly stared at the tiny piece of paper and hesitantly grabbed it. He noticed that her writing was really nice. "Okay... We can just m-meet up after classes and walk together if thats not a problem, we have early dinners because my mom works late."

"Thats fine!" Bora nodded in understanding, she felt bad that his mother worked late. She imagined that she'd also worked most days of the week and most likely worked this tough schedule for quite some time... She hated thinking on the negative and hoped that she was wrong and maybe it was just her shift for this week or maybe she decided to take another job or maybe she started a big project at work.

Baekhyun really began to notice his little quirks just from talking to such a bright and happy person like Baek Bora. She was just the opposite of him. She spoke clear, whereas he mumbled out most of his words. She smiled every moment of the day, while he simple stared at things. He even realized that he couldnt talk to people that werent close to him. He stared and stared at Bora until she felt uncomfortable, which wasnt long, she began noticing his never moving eyes and asked if he was alright; like the perfect and polite girl she was of course. 

"I'm f-fine." He mumbled once more. Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck and decided it would be best to just go back to his seat but something inside him told him not to do it. Now was the time, who would he listen to? His BRAIN or his BODY

"I'm gonna go back to my seat now.." He motioned to his seat and Bora nodded. I guess brain was the victor. "I'll give you a call for l-later."

Bora nodded once more and watched him swiftly move back to his original spot without the teacher turning around an noticing. She questioned why he had been so quiet and figured it was best not to judge others, she smiled at the thought of meeting his family and hoped they were all as nice as his grandfather and Baekhyun. 

Just as she finished the sheet the teacher had handed out for homework, the bell rang and as if one cue, every student rose from their seats and ran for the door. It was Friday and it seemed as if everyone just wanted to get the day over with, unlike them, Bora loved taking her time and enjoying every moment of life. She waved at the passing custodians and slowly made her way down to her next class. 

"Morning!" Ms. Kim smiled as she finished writing the class schedule on the whiteboard. "Lets start with some reading shall we? Its in English and I will come around and help if you need any."

Bora was part Canadian and so she was raised in a bilingual environment. She spoke both Korean and English, she even took up some Japanese, Chinese, and French. Mainly because she had a dream of talking to everyone in the world on her travels when she was older. 

She flew past the entire book, seeing as it was just a plain chapter book with about 5 measly chapters, and began looking out the window as Ms. Kim tended to everyone else in the class. This was pretty routine so far, she would always finish her work and just take the time to think about life and other things. The only new part was speaking with another student in her morning class, she rarely spoke to others even when she was part of a group project. She would always end up doing the work but she never minded. 

The bell rang once more and the day went on quickly, soon it was lunch time. Bora pulled out her phone and dialed Danny's number. After a few rings he picked up.

"How are you?" She inquired. "Are you doing okay? Did you call mom? Did you put ice on it? Are you lying down? Hello? Are you there? DANNY? DANNY BOY??"

"...Are you done now?" He sighed. "Can I speak?"

"As long as you are speaking the answers to my questions, then yes."

"Fine," He smiled. He made a face regardless of the fact she couldnt see it. "I am doing fine, I called mom and yes, yes, and yes I am here."

"Good," She nodded as she closed her locker shut. She pulled out her textbooks and placed them in her bag for her next and last class for the day. "Now stop making faces, your face is going to get stuck that way."

Bora was way too familiar with his habits and knew what he was doing. 

"How'd you know.." He nearly broke out laughing but Bora was quite the analyzer. "Oh whatever. Just make sure to eat all your lunch okay?"

"Okay!" 

"Good, Now I'm gonna go take a nap. Bye BoBo!" 

"Bye Danny Boy." She laughed as she ended the call. "See you soon."