Chapter One: Monday, September 8th, 2014.

When Love Comes Knocking

Bora stretched her long arms and let her lengthy legs swing off her bed as if she were sitting in the sky and there was no ground beneath her. She smiled at the thought but was rudely brought back to life when she heard her brother shouting her name over and over again.

"Bora!" He called from the kitchen instead of actually making an effort and going to her room. "Breakfast is ready! Get down here!"

"Coming!~" She replied quickly not letting her brother's interruption ruin her morning. "I'll be down in five minutes!" 

She jumped out of bed and looked for an appropriate outfit for the hot summer day ahead. It was a Monday and finally the beginnig of school which she had been looking forward too unlike most students who wished for the summer vacation to last forever. She enjoyed learning and meeting new people, seeing as how one day she'll miss not getting the opportunity to do so. 

She pulled out a pair of white shorts and a mint green t-shirt that matched well with her light green converse she had gotten custom made for her birthday during the summer. She fixed a few loose strands of her long straight brown hair and met with her lovely family downstairs for breakfast.

"Morning everyone!" She smiled sweetly at their groggy and tired faces. Unlike her, they were not morning people. "What are we having today?"

"I made some eggs and toast." Her mother replied. "Come eat dear, you can sit next to Danny."

"Ew," Bora's younger brother, by one year, protested. "Why must she sit next to me?"

"Be nice Baek Daehyun." Their mother chided. Danny was his American name, their mother was Korean whereas their father was American. He was currently on a business trip back home and promised to bring back souvenirs for each of his lovely family members. "You two better hurry if you dont want to be late for your first day of school."

Bora made a face at Danny and motioned for him to scoot over so she could sit next to him. They both scarfed down their breakfast and thanked their mom for the meal before running off to school. 

"You nervous for your first year of high school?" Bora asked eagerly. 

"Not really," Danny shrugged in response. "I've heard a lot about it and I already know most of the kids so I think I'll be fine."

She nodded at his response and wasnt surprised by his answer. Danny was a very laid back and relaxed child growing up unlike herself who was always excited and nervous about everything new.

"Are you feeling okay about starting a new school year BoBo?" He asked as he casually called Bora by her nickname. 

"I think my butterflies in my stomach will calm down once I get to school but I'm kinda worried about who's in my homeroom." 

"Dont worry about that," He smiled as he slung his arm around her shoulders. "I bet your friends are all in your class sweetie."

She finally realized that he had been mocking her by saying what mom would usually say in a situation like this. She stuck her tongue out at him and pried his arm off her. They both laughed and continued walking to school.

After a few more minutes of his teasing, they had arrived at Yongshik High School. The school was fairly large but not big enough to get lost in. Bora was happy that they lived near this school, she thought of her brother always and hoped he would be able to find his way with ease. But then again, if he had her sense of direction it wouldnt matter whether he were in a grocery store or a foreign country... He'd get lost within 2 minutes. She just hoped he took after their mother rather than their father. He had the brains and the work ethics but he was lousy with a map and directions. Their high school was quite lively, many students hung around the east side where there were plenty of large trees providing shade during the warm weather.

They both stepped in through the wide metal double doors and Bora noticed Danny's face lit with curiosity, he stared at the faded walls and busy students roaming the halls. The school was quite old seeing as it was opened during the 1850's, you could see that the school bricks used to be more vibrant and from the result of time the bricks had lost their colour and also the school interior. The lockers were slightly rusty and also had some dents; Bora just hoped Danny had a decent locker and nice peers.

She remembered being bullied during her first year of high school. It wasnt until her father talked to the other girl, that she stopped picking on her. School was a really bad place if you were so fortunate to find yourself on the wrong side of the school like she did. On the first day, Bora had tripped and thrown her book at another girl's leg, causing the other to fall as well. But all was well now, after her father's help that is, she was able to fly through the years in peace. No one ever spoke to her and when they did, they were extremely nice... It was weird but she wasnt about to complain about being treated nice to her father. She knew what they were thinking and she knew why they were being the way they were; She decided to leave it be.

 

"Well," Bora began. She cleared and pulled Danny to the side of the hall as the other students began piling in before the beginning of classes. The bell was coming close to initiating the very beginning of the school year and people were getting their books from their lockers before class starts. "I guess I will be meeting you by the front gates after school? Make sure to sit near the front of the class, and dont make too much noise in class, make sure to take clear notes and--"

"Bora," Danny's deep laughed echoed in her ears. Oh how puberty hit him so fast, she already missed his high pitched voice from three years ago. "I'll be fine, I'll message you after school aright? And I'll meet you by the school gates."

"You know you dont have to go with me," She offered. "I can go by myself, its not like I havent been to the doctor's by myself."

"You know I want to be there for you," He frowned. Danny's face darkened and he turned away from his older sibling. She could sense his fear and hurt but knew it was inevitable in their situation. "I'll meet you right after school Bora. Have a good day okay? I love you."

"I...I l-love you too Danny boy." She smiled before pulling her baby brother in for a tight hug. He squirmed but eventually gave in. She released him and gave him a peck on the top of his head, regardless of the evil glare he gave her or the giggled from the students passing by, she was content. "Oh, I'll walk you to your first class! How can I miss this first moment of yours~"

"No." He protested. He began walking quickly down the hall and towards the main staircase, Bora quickly followed and knowing his weak spot, began coughing. He immediately looked back and slowed down to match her pace. She then rushed to his side and noticed him smile. "Why are you so evil?"

He had begged her the past week to not baby him and let him be. But she couldnt bare to let her baby brother go on his own, despite his wishes he knew his "BoBo" would follow him everywhere. She was always a protective sister and never let him out of her sight, even under such tight surveillance he managed to enjoy her company and found it quite strange not having her there.

"Wouldnt life be boring if you were always good? You ought to make some mischievous choices here and there." 

"You... Fine. Just no more kisses okay? Just walk me in silence." He ordered her. Bora nodded innocently and pretended to zip shut and throw away the key.   

Danny knew how much he would miss her when the time came; he would miss her excessive nagging, her habit of taking loud breaths when she was nervous, her annoying habit of pulling on his ear when he wasn't paying attention, her way of waking him up by taking one of his shoes and placing it around his head, he would miss all of her little habits and quirks. She was his best friend whether he wanted to admit it or not.

They had been quite the duo back in their toddler years, they played at the park together and she would always stand up for him when he got into trouble with other kids, which was quite often due to his habit of throwing rocks because he dreamed of being a ninja at the time. She brought him shopping for things when their parents were busy and even taught him how to read when he first started school; She was his role model and inspiration. The fact that she would be gone in a year scared the hell out of him, he wasnt sure how he would handle it but he knew he wouldnt be able to handle it positively like Bora did with everything that was happening. She seemed at peace somehow but deep inside she must have been scared just as much as he was, or at least four times as much; She must be terrified