Heart Attack

Dualism

Baekhyun tried to steady his breath as he trotted to his classroom, heart racing because he knew he was late. Half an hour late was never a good sign. He knew he shouldn't followed his mother's advice and gone to the hospital in the morning. He stood outside his classroom door, trying to calm himself down as he listened intently to the voices behind the door in front of him, waiting for a good time to enter. However, the only thing that Baekhyun couldn't calm down was his heart, still running a million kilometers an hour.

Looking down at his chest, Baekhyun pressed his hand against it. "Dumb heart, why won't you listen to me for once already!" He whispered to himself, reaching his other hand towards the handle. Before he knew it, the door already opened by itself, meeting him face to face with his sworn enemy.

"Well, well, well, well, well, I knew I heard squeaking, look what the cat dragged in!" The tall giant glowered over him, with one arm against the door frame.

"How dare you call me that, you giant!" Baekhyun gritted through his teeth, "you pabo, Park Chanyeol!" Baekhyun hit the door open with the side of his fist, ignoring the loud thud it made as it did, eyes still glaring at the cocky expression Chanyeol wore.

"Well, Byun Baekhyun, already destroying school property? Care to explain why you're late?!" His teacher boomed in front of him, arms crossed as he tapped his foot repeatedly. Baekhyun sighed, walking past him to place the medical certificate on his desk before getting to his seat, noticing from the corner of his eye as Chanyeol did the same. His teacher was about to snap at him until he properly read the certificate, coughing before getting back into his lecture on god knows what. 

Once Baekhyun knew that he wasn't going to get into anymore trouble, he went to his seat. Not looking at his feet, he stumbled upon the way, only looking down to realise he'd been tripped. Scowling at the smirking idiot before having his say, Baekhyun was cut short when Chanyeol beat him to it.

"Yah! Don't ing touch him!" Chanyeol yelled, getting out of his seat and in front of Baekhyun in a second, glaring the now not-so-laughing idiot down.

"Yeah? And who are you to talk? You mess with him all the time!" The boy asked, smiling lopsidedly.

"That doesn't mean you're allowed to touch him." Chanyeol gritted his teeth, almost growling as he towered over the boy, fists gripping onto the table. The boy's expression flipped, from cocky to flustered, within a second.

"Oh come on, Yeol! Just messing around you know!" He patted his hand on Chanyeol's shoulder, earning himself a smack at the wrist. Baekhyun didn't know what to do but, he knew he had to step in.

"Chanyeol, what the is wrong with you? Are you crazy? Who are you to stand up for me?" He gave Chanyeol a light push at the shoulder. Chanyeol just sighed and began to walk back to his seat. "Yah! Don't walk away from me!" 

"Well if you weren't such a coward, you would've stood up for yourself," Chanyeol murmured under his breath.

"Yah!! Come back here!" Baekhyun screeched, almost popping a vein in his throat. His heart raced, suddenly making him lose his breath. Taking a second to breathe, he swayed to the side, trying to find refuge in his seat, only to topple to the ground. The boys in his class roared with laughter while the girls whispered to themselves. Baekhyun, however, laid completely still. The muscle that was supporting his life was failing and he knew it. He just wondered if anyone else did.

His teacher sighed. "Byun Baekhyun, get up and get into his seat." Baekhyun wanted to tell him he couldn't. When he tried to, his breath became hitched, eyesight hazy, clutching onto his chest with his hands. Before his sight completely disappeared, he heard the screams of the girls in his class and a warmth enveloping him.

 

"Are you dying?" Baekhyun laid face down on the cold vast white floor. In front of his eyes were a pair of shoes. Boy's shoes. "Hello? Are you there? Baekhyun?" Who? Who does this innocent childish voice belong to? "Baek?"

"Don't call me that." He managed to whisper, voice crackling at the end.

"Sorry." The boy hushed, silent, as Baekhyun continued to lie on the floor, body weighted down with exhaustion. "It's the sedatives. You shouldn't actually let your mind fall asleep."

"Who are you?" Baekhyun eagerly wanted to change the topic.

"Are you dying?" It didn't seem like the boy was willing to though. 

"I guess..." He sighed, knowing it was inevitable.

"Do you want to live?"

"Yes."

"Why?" The boy finally crouched down to meet Baekhyun's face. His face was young but, probably only a year under than Baekhyun. He was cute and happy, like a child their age should be. Teenage life was ruining Baekhyun's life but, that doesn't mean it's bad for everybody.

"I don't know." The boy smiled, like that was the answer he wanted to hear.

"Good. Then live for me."

"What do you mean?" 

"I just died a couple days ago. My body should still be good. I've been waiting for you... seeing as how you come and go the hospital so easily." 

"...If I live for you, what do I get?"

"Well obviously to live without worrying with that heart of yours." The boy pressed his fingertip towards Baekhyun's chest. Baekhyun didn't know if he deserved such an opportunity but, he wanted it. He wanted to live. He wanted to grow old and be happy with his lover. He wanted his parents not to worry about his health anymore. He wanted to be happy.

"Okay." Before Baekhyun knew it, he was standing face to face with the boy, hand in hand as they agreed to this life changing decision.

 

"Doctor! The patient is coming to! His heart rate is picking up!" 

 

 

Chanyeol strolled from side to side, impatient as he couldn't decide if he should be here or not. Looking around, he couldn't get rid of the feeling of unease he always had from being in the hospital. Was Baekhyun's health that bad? He thought it was just an immunity kind of thing. The one where you get sick easily. He never would've imagined Baekhyun in the hospital having surgery. The thought was unconceivable.

He knew Baekhyun and him weren't on the best of terms but, the two had grown up together and there was just something that made him incomprehensibly guilty. He felt that it was his fault. Baekhyun was probably agitated and Chanyeol just made it worst. He could've sent him to his deathbed. He didn't even deserve to wait in the halls with Baekhyun's parents, awaiting the news from the doctor, he just paced up and down the waiting room in the ER, ignoring the stares he was getting.

"Chanyeol?" A woman's voice called out, forcing Chanyeol to snap out his trance.

"Ah!" Chanyeol recognised the woman, how could he not. Baekhyun and him may not have been direct neighbours but they lived on the same street. They couldn't help but recognise each other's parents. "Ah, Ahjumma, how are you?"

"Oh Chanyeol, are you here to visit Baekhyun?" She sniffed and tears started b at her eyes, surprising Chanyeol. The feeling of dread that the next words she was going to say was "I'm sorry, Baekhyun is dead" made his heart drop to his feet. 

"Ah, no, I b-better... get going..." Chanyeol turned for the door, only to have the woman grasp onto his arm.

"N-No! Please, Chanyeol, visit him, he just got out and I'm sure he'd love to see you when he wakes up." It was a stupid question but, Chanyeol wanted to ask her if Baekhyun was alive but, his tears just said it for it. They prickled with tears, raising a hand to his face as he tried to hold them back and steady his breath. "Oh Chanyeol, come on..." She pulled him back through the corridors she came from, taking him away from the freedom he almost had in his grasp.

Entering the room was painstakingly silent. Chanyeol didn't know if he should greet Baekhyun's father or let him continue to pray. Fortunately, his wife rushed to his side, whispering something in his ear as she dragged him away, feverishly pointing at Chanyeol every now and then, earning a look of confusion from her husband as she ushered him outside, leaving Chanyeol alone with an unconscious Byun Baekhyun.

Awkwardly taking a seat beside the other, Chanyeol fiddled with his fingers before looking at and actually getting a look at Baekhyun. The boy he had only just had a feud with a few hours ago was before him, strapped with numerous cords and looking as fragile as he had ever seen him. 

In the last few years of puberty, Chanyeol never got the chance to take a good look at Baekhyun but now that he has, he smiles at the man the boy he once knew had grown up into. He was handsome and charming if he was blowing his head off, yelling at Chanyeol.

His frail hand was thin, veins seeming like they would only get more defined with age. Chanyeol lifted his hand and hovered over the hand, pausing before he indulged himself in his curiosity, running his fingertips along the veins. With a growing curiosity as the soft smooth skin, Chanyeol grasp onto Baekhyun's hands with each of his own, rubbing them soothingly.

"Wake up soon, Baekhyun, I'm sorry..." Chanyeol whispered, even though he knew there was no way the other would wake up as he only had surgery an hour ago. A heart transplant surgery must've been intense on the body, Chanyeol figured, still surprised at the fact that Baekhyun was so sick that he needed a new heart.

"Ch-Chanyeol....?"

Chanyeol snapped his head up in a second, eyes wide as he watched Baekhyun's lips quiver, trying to create words. "Baek? Hello? Can you hear me?" Chanyeol gasped as he watched Baekhyun's eye lids flutter and begin to awaken. Looking around, he turned his attention to Chanyeol in an instance.

"'Yeol?" Chanyeol's heart skipped a beat, surprised that Baekhyun had called him that. Baekhyun hadn't called him 'Yeol since they were children.

"Y-yeah?" Baekhyun's lips pulled up into a smile wider than Chanyeol has ever remembered.

"'Yeol, I love you."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________

a/n: wow im actually surpised at myyself too for writing this LOL anyway i hoped you enjoyed it and if you did send me some love down below (oops just realised that had a double meaning LMFAO AHAHAHAH) and/or subscribe if you havent! :D