Chapter 9

Forbidden Royalty

The next day, Hyuna woke up early and quickly got ready for their trip. After she was dressed, and her things were packed, she ran outside to meet Jongin.

"You ready Princess?"

"Yes. I already checked up on DongJun, and the Doctor said he was doing well."

Jongin smiled,"He's a strong man. His majesty is waiting for you at the gates."

Hyuna walked over to the gates where the carriages were waiting for them. She bowed to her brother and her sister in law.

"Hyuna. Did you have a good night's sleep?"

"Yes. Thank you for caring."

"Of course."

JaeJoong turned to Eun Ha and Yunho.

"Yunho ah, while Hyungnim is gone, be safe and stay by your sister's side all right?"

"Yes Hyungnim."

He chuckled and ruffled his hair, "Eun Ha, take good care of him and yourself. Be safe and listen to your sister in law all right?"

"Yes orabeoni." (Yay! I think it's the right spelling.... I think >.< for those who don't know, it's the traditional way to say oppa)

JaeJoong turned to Se Ah, who was in charge of the kingdom while he was gone.

"I trust everything to you my Queen. Please take good care of everything."

"Oh, I will. Don't you worry your majesty."

Hyuna bowed to her as well.

"Oh! Look at me, before you go. I have prepared tea for you. It's suppose to make you relax during the trip."

She motioned her maids, and each of them gave a cup to Hyuna and JaeJoong.

"Thank you my queen. It was very thoughtful of you."

"Everything for you."

Hyuna also thanked her bid her goodbyes and got on to the carriage. 

"Don't worry, everything will be fine." Jongin assured her.

"I trust my best bodyguard. Don't get hurt while walking."

"I just got hurt right now! How could you insult my stamina like that." He said as he eyed her.

She giggled,"Sorry, sorry~"

Jongin chuckled as he closed the door and got to the front of the carriage. Others would be carrying the carriage while he protected it from any danger. Jaejoong's carriage went out first, and hers followed. Inside, Hyuna felt herself getting sleepy.

{It must be the tea.}

Finally, she closed her eyes and fell in to a deep sleep. They got out of the palace and began to walk the forest road awhile later. Jongin had checked on Hyuna, and found her sleeping. He had quietly closed the window flap and went back to his place.

"Officer Kim, come over here for a moment." The Main Officer called him.

Jongin quickly walked to him, where JaeJoong's carriage was going.

"Yes sir."

"We're about to go into the road where many outcasts lives. It may get dangerous, so stick by closely to Princess Hyuna's all right? How is she?"

"She fell asleep sir."

"All right, go back to your post."

Jongin bowed and walked back. The servant bowed to him, and Jongin just nodded back, but he quickly looked again. It seemed like there was something different about the servants.

"Heads up! Don't let your guard down people!"

Jongin looked back up and tensed. He had to be ready for everything. Everything seemed to be going fine for awhile, but of course, that only happened in child's tales. Out if nowhere, men dressed in black came out and attacked them. In a flash, Jongin had his sword out and started to fight. 

"Take the carriages to safety!" The main officer shouted at the servants.

They obeyed and started to run the other way. What they didn't know, was that Hyuna's carriage suddenly slipped away, not leaving a trace. In the middle of all of this, Hyuna had woken up, and was startled to hear all the noise. Suddenly, the carriage stopped, and she was roughly pulled out. She looked up to see bandits in front of her, holding a sword. She was about to scream, when one of them covered .

"Don't scream with that pretty little mouth of yours. It won't be worth anything." He whispered her ear.

Hyuna thought about the things that DongJun had taught her when she was young. When a person covers your mouth, you....

She bit his hand as hard as she could. He yelled out in pain as she also stepped on his foot and ran with every ounce if stamina she had. However, a dress didn't let her run as far as she wanted. They were at her heels in an instance, barely missing her as they reach to grab. After awhile, she began to grow tired, and her legs protested, but she kept moving. Finally, her legs gave up as she fell over a branch. They circled her, and one of them drew a sword and moved closer.

"JONGIN!!! HELP!! JONGIN!!!!"

They laughed,"No one will help you now little girl. It's too late anyway."

Finally, he was about to strike. Waiting for the end, Hyuna squeezed her eyes shut, but the blow never came.(I know every story may be like this :) but what main character dies at the middle? ;)

She opened her eyes to see Jongin in front of her, a sword in his hands.

"J..Jongin."

"I told you I'll always protect you. Now let me take care of them."

Jongin launched forward, sword at ready. He battled each of them easliy, and moved like water. He was so graceful when he was fighting. As Hyuna watched him, she couldn't help but feel her heart beating madly in her chest. Why is her heart beating like this in the middle of a death situation? Jongin battled the last of the bandits and quickly came over to her. He hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry. I should have watched you from the beginning."

"It's fine. Thank you for coming back for me."

"I'll always come back for you, no matter what. Are you all right? Did you get hurt or anything?"

Wordlessly, Hyuna tightened her grip on him and cried. Jongin sighed and rubbed her back, trying to calm her back down. Soon, the others guards had caught up with them. JaeJoong was also among them. Jongin gently pried her fingers off of him and helped her stand up.

"PRINCESS!!"

"Hyuna! Are you all right?"

"Yes, thank you. Officer Kim here saved my life your majesty. Without him, I would have died." Hyuna told JaeJoong while smiling up at Jongin.

"You did a brave job of rescuing her, thank you. Now, the main officer tells me we must hurry before others come." JaeJoong told them. 

They walked back slowly and carefully. Hyuna stuck to Jongin like glue. Without noticing, Hyuna had grasped Jongin's hand tightly while they walked. Finding this, Jongin turned red, and it felt like he's heart was going to beat out of his chest. He tried to calm himself by breathing in and out slowly, but it didn't help that Hyuna was looking at him with worried eyes.

"Jongin? Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm fine."

Actually, he wasn't. He was about to melt under those big, caring brown eyes that looked at him like he was the world's most precious human. He kept telling himself that Hyuna was a princess that was to marry someone high class like her or at least someone better then him!

Shaking those feelings off, they arrived back to where the carriage was. Hyuna's was brought back and restocked with new servants.

"Did you check the servants sir?"

"Yes. They are all fine."

Jongin helped Hyuna get back into the carriage and was about to let go, when Hyuna grabbed his hand again.

"Hyuna? You have to let go so that I can protect you."

Hyuna didn't let go,"Can't you protect me from here? Jongin ah.... I'm really scared."

Jongin felt a pang of sadness as he stared into the frightened eyes.

"I'm sorry. I should have protected you.... It's my fault. If DongJun were here, he would have protected you for sure, but-"

Hyuna shook her head,"It's not your fault. They called you up to fight them. DongJun would have made the same choices you did. Whatever you do, you're still the best bodyguard I could ever have. I'm just a little shaken and scared, but don't blame it on yourself. I'm sorry. It was selfish of me to ask you to stay here. Go, they need you."

Jongin looked at her once again, then moved to wheee the main officer was.

"Sir. If it's not too much to ask, may I be next to Princess Hyuna? I may watch her more carefully from there." He said.

"Go ahead."

"Thank you sir." He bowed and walked back to Hyuna.

"I'll protect you from right here. You can keep the window open if you would like. It may make you feel safer, or you can just keep it open to see you best friend's handsome face." He told her smiling.

"Sure.... But I'll keep it open, only for safety." She said laughing by the look of mock hurt on his face.

What she really wanted to do was to look at his handsome face. Sometimes, while he was receiving orders, Hyuna would just stare at him in awe. He was so handsome that one look will keep you mesmerized. One time, Jongin had caught her looking at him and blushed. Hyuna, also emberessed that he caught her, also blushed with him. The two saw each other blushing together, and blushed some more.

Finally, after long days, they arrived in China. As soon as they arrived, they found the emperor, empress, Princess Victoria, Prince Tao, and most importantly, Prince Kris waiting for them. JaeJoong met the emperor and the empress with a smile. Hyuna, a little shy, politely exchanged greetings with al the royals. Surprisingly, they all spoke a fair amount of Korean. Kris smiled at her, breaking her imagination about the cold hearted prince. It also succeeded in making Jongin jealous. They were ushered in the castle, but Jongin was never too far.

Victoria led her to the guest room where she would be staying. Hyuna thanked her as she also laid out the dress she would be wearing to the dinner that night.

"I know my brother is rumored to be cold, but I was very surprised to see him smile at you today Princess. He must like you."

"Please call me Hyuna your highness." She said smiling. Although she didn't know Victoria well, it felt like she was very kind and wise.

"And call me Victoria. My brother Kris... He's kind of like you Hyuna." Vic said as she sat down next to her.

"How?" Hyuna asked, suddenly very confused.

"He's from a lady too. My mother, the empress, is not his real birth mother. Lady Wu died when he was born. My father doesn't hate him, rather, he cares for him well, but my mother thinks he may be the potential heir to the throne. Which means, she can't get way of my other brother Tao acclaiming the throne. Sad isn't it?"

"I don't know what to say... I never knew of that fact." She managed to say.

"Well, my father doesn't like to spread words, so we kept quiet. I love both of my brothers very much, but my mother hates him. He's called a cold prince for a reason Hyuna. All those years of neglect ion didn't do him any good. All right, you're all set. Dinner will be at six. Welcome to the China Hyuna. I'm excited to get to know you more." Victoria said as she walked out, but she stopped near the door.

"Oh,and by the way. Kris told me that you were the prettiest girl that he has ever seen." She smiled at Hyuna's blush and closed the door behind her.

Jongin, hearing that, scoffed as soon as the princess walked out,"Prettiest girl? Hyuna, he's a player!"

"Shush! No matter what, he's still a prince. I think I would like to get closer to him." She said, smiling to herself.

"Get to know him?" He said unbelievably,"Yah! You came here to explain that you don't want to marry that cold prince!  You didn't come here to fall in love!"

She laughed,"Calm down Jongin, I was just trying to make you jealous, which I succeeded in doing." She said, making Jongin pout,"Yah~ You're a high military officer, don't pout!"

"You're so mean sometimes, no wonder DongJun tried to get away from you."

"He does not!"

"Does too."

"Does not."

"Does too."

"Not!"

"Fine! You win, you win, I surrender."

She smiled in triumph,"But, I would like to get to know him. Even if I don't want to marry him, I would like to make my mission to melt that cold prince's heart. After all, I do know  exactly how he must have felt like, being the child of a lady. Maybe we can be friends after all."

A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Hyuna put her painting down, and opened the door. Jongin was close behind her, but he was surprised to see the prince in front of her.

"Your highness!" Hyuna exclaimed.

"Oh... Um, hello." He awkwardly said.

Hyuna, who didn't know what to do, quickly invited him in,"What brings you here your majesty?"

"Call me Kris, and um, well, nothing actually. I thought it would be nice if we got to talk a little before my father and your bother got down to, let's say, business."

"Oh, well, please call me Hyuna. Well, what would you like to talk about your, I mean Kris."

Jongin was eyeing them very carefully, if he dared to make a move, prince or not, he was going down.

"Well, I know you probably don't want to marry me, with my reputation as the cold prince and all, but is it okay for us to be friends? I just act cold because-"

"Don't worry, I wanted to be friends with you ^^. I just don't want to marry because it was too sudden. I do not believe you can have the coldest heart in the world. I can't wait to get to know you more. Do you feel bad that I refuse to marry you?" She carefully asked.

"Not at all, it surprised me more actually. Most girls would love to marry a prince, especially one with a kingdom this large and vast, but you didn't."

"Isn't marriage suppose to be of love and not wealth?"

"To others, love is just an excuse. People use it because it's the only way to get the money they want. Jewels, gold, a title that everyone respects, that's all they want."

"But love, is the true treasure. I like to think of it was a diamond in the rough. At first, it doesn't look pretty, while trying to make it beautiful, you may want to give up, but if you hold on to it and continue, your diamond will appear."

"Exactly."

"Your majesties, dinner is served." A maid called out from the door in Mandarin.

"Thank you! We'll be right there!" Hyuna shouted in mandarin, which surprised Kris.

"You speak Mandarin?" He asked as he stood up.

"Yes, but only a little. There's nothing to do if you are ignored half your life."

Kris chucked, helping her out of her seat,"I know exactly how that feels." Hyuna also smiled, but in the moment, she tripped, and Kris caught her. The problem was that their faces were too close, closer than it should be. It took all ounces if Jongin's strength not to slice them apart.

---------------------------------------------------

"Your majesty! Please forgive me, I did not know that my men would mess up." The servant begged in front of her.

"I practically handed her to you!" She shouted."I put that sleeping medicine in her tea, she falls asleep, I give you horses and swords, WHY HAVE YOU BROUGHT FAILURE UPON ME?!?!?" 

"I..I'm sorry, I deserve to die." He said.

"Of course you do. How hard is it to kill a girl? We even swapped the servants to make it easier! I even persuaded the main officer come to our side! Why was to so hard? I won't kill you just yet, I'll give you one more chance. This time, if you fail again, you will definitely die!" Se Ah screamed out.

The servant bowed and scrambled out, leaving Se Ah fuming.

"Kim Hyuna, Kim Jongin, let's see who can win."