Prologue

Loveless

Yunho was mounted upon his ebony stallion, the cold air blowing back wisps of hair away from his face. “Wait behind” those words echoed endlessly within his head. Yunho was never one to do as others asked, yet when it came to his uncle he found himself being submissive. His uncle, the one who took Yunho in and raised him as his own when his own father cast him out. Yunho anxiously bit his lip, his eyes darting in various directions in hopes he’d find a sign reassuring him that his uncle was alright. His fingers coiled around the reins of his horse tightly, what was taking him so long? It had been three hours since Yunho’s uncle had left their headquarters.

“He should’ve taken more men… at least me” Yunho muttered, finding himself now vocalising his thoughts.

The other four shared an equal uneasiness. “Yunho, the general told us to wait. We cannot disobey him.” Yoochun spoke hesitantly, his voice pierced the silence which gained him the other man’s attention. Yunho’s eyes immediately met Yoochun, they darkened with annoyance and frustration. Yoochun hung his head low, knowing he’d spoken out of turn.

 “Don’t you think I know that?! But why is it taking this long? It shouldn’t take this long…” his voice trailed off, the sudden anger simmering down as another rested his hand on Yunho’s shoulder.

“We must wait. Despite your desire to seek your uncle out, our orders were to remain here.” Jaejoong spoke coldly yet his tone was one that Yunho had warmed to, knowing that his cold nature spawned from insecurity. This insecurity being his one and only flaw. Jaejoong had excelled in everything where Yunho failed. He was as close to a brother that Yunho had as they shared a mutual sadness which only one another could truly understand. Jaejoong now rode his white mare beside Yunho. His raven locks being pulled back by the wind, dark orbs lingering on Yunho.  “Just wait for a while, but if this prolongs any further then we ride out” his tone softened as he turned to look at the vast land before them.

Yunho clenched his jaw and furrowed his brow, his uncle had been gone for too long now. “I’ve waited enough, we ride out now” he said curtly.

Jaejoong’s face read a stoic expression, leaving the other three perplexed. “…but... our ord-” Junsu’s sentence came to an abrupt halt when given a malevolent glare from Jaejoong.

“Your orders are now to follow Yunho, or are you forgetting he is second in command when General Jung is absent? Anyone who does not follow is disobeying their orders and will not be forgiven” He spat venomously. The others knew not to go against Jaejoong, both Junsu and Yoochun shrank into the manes of their mounts.

Changmin ran his tongue across his lip, eyes unable to meet the older man. “We were told by General Jung to wait behind. Please understand Yunho”. The anger was brewing within Jaejoong, he jerked at his reins heading toward Changmin but Yunho intervened catching him off guard.

“You three wait here in case my uncle returns” Yunho ordered. Almost immediately the other three had dispersed to their original positions. “Jae you’re with me” He said swaying the great mount to turn, Jaejoong gave a sign of affirmation and followed Yunho. The both of them raced ahead, the heavy steps of their mounts now in sync with Yunho’s heart. Angst was wearing away his sanity and the cold air now stinging his flushed cheeks. However none of these slight discomforts could measure to Yunho’s absolution in finding his uncle. After all he was all he had left.

“Please understand father, I want to do this for the betterment of our realm” Yunho insisted, a thin film of tears had built up in his eyes clouding his vision. His father rubbed the temples of his head, narrowed his eyes and for the first time really looked at his son. His fine features which he received from his mother, a sturdy frame which was well developed compared to others his age. He had embodied perfection, he could’ve been a son he was proud of. Yet he wore his hair like one of them, wisps of caramel locks loosely hung framing his thin face whilst the rest was tied up in a small ponytail.

“I cannot even bear to look at you right now. Are you not aware I lost my younger brother to them and now you chose to join them too?!” he snarled, nostrils flaring.

Yunho fell to his knees and held on to his father’s robes dampening them with his now clammy hands. “Father though they are hated they still protect us. It is an honour” he scarcely had a chance to meet his father’s eyes before this broad hand struck the side of Yunho’s face. The heirloom ring drawing blood as it caught his lip. Yunho’s cheek stung as he felt the heat rush to the affected area. Blood was seeping out of the cut formed on his lip, he looked up at the man he called his father with teary eyes. “Father” he cried out weakly. At this his father grimaced and pulled away from Yunho’s reach.

“That is enough!” his uncle stood valiant at the door frame, at one hand he carried his infamous golden sword, the other clutching the side of the door. “We will leave” his voice didn’t not give any trace of fear, those steely eyes scrutinizing his elder brother.

Yunho lay of the floor, he bit his lip in attempts to prevent himself from crying out aloud. Why couldn’t his father understand? “U-Uncle? Please don’t, I can handle it” Yunho spoke softly, the confidence and arrogance he once relished in had melted away. All that remained was a cowering boy, who was fundamentally alone. It was at that moment that his uncle scooped him into his arms, as a way of reassuring him that in actuality he wasn’t alone. Though eighteen, he felt as though he regressed back into a boy. His uncle still a giant in stature headed towards the door.

“This will end you Yunho!” he heard his father call out after him, but eventually his words of hate were drowned out by the growing distance and Yunho felt free.

Yunho POV                                                                                                                         

Loosening the grip on my reins, I drew in a long breath, feeling the lingering sense of death which hung in the air. I gave a Jaejoong a weary glace and he met me with worried eyes. Something was not right. I know it. The black woods evoked all of my childish fears, the thought of what entities could be lurking within its depths frightened me. The dark, twisting branches towered over me, Xerexes let out strenuous breaths. My horse too sensed the looming danger.

“Yunho, we cannot turn back now. We must keep going” Jaejoong insisted, though his demeanour appeared to be composed and collected, his fears were audible to me. Eventually I found the strength to continue, Xerxes’ hooves disturbed the coarse gravel beneath it. Jaejoong travelled closely behind, his breathing now unsteady. It felt like the insides of a labyrinth, the winding paths continued ceaselessly.

Eventually we came to a clearing, “They should be here” I called back at Jae who steadied his mane behind. “He said the centre, did he not?” I questioned, I chewed on my lower lip nervously. Where is he?

“Yun here I see something” Jae said sliding off his horse, I too dismounted and approached to where Jae was pointing.  “They were here” he affirmed examining the scattered materials. “It seems they were camping here, look they even had a fire going” Jae was scuttling across the deserted camp, I watched intently hoping there would be a more assuring sign that his uncle is safe. Almost instantly Jae came to an immediate halt at a nearby ditch, I quirked my eyebrow and called out to him. I had never witnessed Jae being so irresponsive before, his body had stiffened and seemed close to being lifeless. I slowly sauntered toward him, my breathing became heavy and uneven as I gradually came closer to the unknown.

 My heart sank, I felt my blood curdle. Jae’s face had discoloured, his arms hung limp at his sides. Bodies were slumped upon one another, faces were unrecognisable as only traces of skin remained. Some of the men lay disfigured and mutilated. Yet I still could not detect my uncle among the scattered bodies.

“Ho-how could this have happened?” Jae’s voice was hoarse and broken, he cleared his throat in attempts to remain calm. “These were our best men” he continued walking across the scene. The stench of rotting flesh clung to the air. I stumbled along, my legs growing increasing weak.

An intense gush ran throughout my body as I felt a damp hand clasp my ankle.  “Jae!” I yelled in panic, entire body began trembling. I saw Jae run over, sword in hand yet something had caused him to stop.

“Y-Yunh…” the voice husky and weak.

“Uncle!” I cried, the unshed tears causing my vision to be blurry. I knelt beside him, my eyes never leaving his.

“The men… they’re gone” his uncle sobbed, his bloodshot eyes cried scarlet tears.

I could sense Jae hover over my shoulder, watching intently. “General, what did this? Can you remember?” he questioned.

I stared back at him blankly, how could he throw questions at his uncle in his current state? “Not now Jae, we have to take him back… he can tell us after he has recovered” I insisted, but I was cut short. I felt my uncle’s bloody hand touch the side of my face.

“No… I won’t be able to go back, the wounds… they’re fatal. I…” he heaved forward, coughing and spitting blood over his lap. “I-I found the source to the missing bodies. The ones who killed our men are not human. The-they fed on our blood and acquire immense strength. We were at a loss before it began” he continued before coughing again. Blinking away any further tears, I pulled him in to a hug, resting his chin on my shoulder I felt his strong arms wrap around me tenderly. “Yun… don’t, I don’t want to-“he muttered, his breath fanning the side of my neck.

I let out a soft chuckle and felt a tear trickle down my cheek. “What are you talking about? You’re alive… you’re safe” I cooed.

A sudden wetness ran up the side of my neck, my uncle’s clasp around me tightened almost suffocating me. “U-uncle? What are you doing?” I asked cautiously fidgeting within his tight grasp. “I’m sorry” he breathed out. I felt an intense surge of pain, my body went into a state of shock.

“YUNHO!” I heard Jae screech as I was pushed away with a colossal amount of strength. The taste of gravel was left in my mouth. My uncle jerked up right, his prior wounds now healed, he snarled at Jae who was now petrified by what he had witnessed. “Ge-general Jung?” he quavered. I felt the urge to help yet my body remained unresponsive.

“Jae…” my words barely audible. My uncle lunged at Jae, his thin frame was to the ground. “NO!” I screamed, if only my legs found strength again. I could see Jae struggle, his sword guarding him from the creature. All but shrieks could be heard, my uncle retreated a few steps back, mouth dripping with blood. Jae lay on the ground holding the wounded area as the blood seeped through his sleeve. My uncle dove in for a second attack but this time I intervened. I grabbed my fallen sword and ran towards Jae, my uncle closing in on him.

“Yunho! Leave me and get out of here” I could hear Jae cry, his body grew agitated seeing the looming danger charge towards him. Drawing in deep breaths, he closed his eyes and waited for death to devour him, but I won’t let it.

Red, red is all I saw. All I’ll ever see. I thought my senses had deceived me, I was holding the sword which had impaled my uncle’s chest. He staggered toward me before falling to his knees. “No” I cried, the tears escaping my eyes as I cradled my uncle. “No” I repeated, my lips quivering. What had I done? I couldn’t have. Not him… A looming coldness encompassed us both, I could feel his breathing starting to grow uneven. “Please no” I cried harder, the tears now stinging my eyes. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry” I muttered, but I knew I couldn’t be forgiven. I heard Jaejoong grunt and he struggled to his feet, I had managed to save him, and I did this to save him. I saved him therefore I’m not evil. I did this to save a life, I had no choice. Yet what is this feeling? It’s eating away at me, Jae told me run. How he must loathe me, I who killed our General, our leader, my uncle. I watched as he drew his last breath, his life escaping his lips as exhaled softly. Those dark, empty eyes were staring into nothingness. He was gone and it was because of me…