To love or not to love

Will you believe in happy ever after?

Weeks passed by since Kai and I turned out to be friends. I would be a liar if I say I didn’t miss this. We meet up after work for a drink, dinner or anything we could think of. Sometimes, we go out with Mika, his daughter. We go to GOT7 fan meetings and concerts. I guess Kai may not been a good boyfriend before, but he turned out to be the best dad for his daughter.

“Auntie Hyorin!” Mika shouted as she ran towards me.

“Oh, Mika!” I hugged her and pinched her cheeks. “I miss this little girl. How’s your trip?”

“It was fine. Mom and I went to the beach and made a sand castle.”

“Really? That is so cool. I bet it was a great castle then.”

“Yeap. It’s Bambam and mine.”

“Oh. That is much better.”

“Heyo ladies, where do you want to go for lunch?” Kai asked as he walked towards us.

“I don’t know. Ask Mika.” I replied.

“I want to eat cake and lasagna!” Mika demanded. Kai looked at her with amazement and I was stopping my urge to laugh.

“Okay. Okay. Let’s go somewhere that offers that then?” He looked at me and I instantly nodded.

“Wow, she is really your daughter.” I whispered teasingly.

 

We ate lasagna at an Italian restaurant in Myeongdong and went to the nearest cake shop. Mika ordered choco moist cake with ice cream on top and a banana caramel smoothie. Kai ordered a muffin and brewed coffee. And, I ordered strawberry short cake and caramel frappe.

Like any other day, we talk about random stuffs and laugh about it. Kai would try his best to be fun for Mika and I usually tag along with his random jokes.

“Hope you guys enjoyed your foods.” Someone barge in the middle of our conversation.

“Well, nice to see you here, Lay!” Kai greeted. I turned to my back and saw Lay. Then, I smiled at him.

“Hello Lay!” I greeted.

He looked at me. I don’t know if he was shock or just it’s his random expression.

He smiled at us and patted my back.

“It’s really great that you guys decided to get along.” He looked at me again trying to ask some questions.

“Yeap, we did. We decided to be friends.” He didn’t take his eyes on me. What is he up to now? Then, he looked around.

“So, who’s the beautiful girl?” He smiled at Mira.

“Oh. By the way, this is Mira, my daughter.” Kai introduced. “Mira, this is Uncle Lay. He is a friend of ours.”

Mira smiled. “Hello Uncle Lay!”

“Hello Mira.” Lay responded. “You have an adorable daughter. You are really blessed.”

Then, Kai looked at me. “You’re right. I am. I feel really blessed.”

“Oh. That’s good then.”

 

The sudden meet-up with Lay was pretty awkward. I know by just looking at him, he doesn’t approve it. I can’t blame him. He always has the fatherly attitude towards me. And, he hated Kai for breaking me in my past. But it’s been 10 years already, hopefully he also forgave him.

It’s already 5 o’clock in the afternoon, while I was preparing to close the art gallery. I saw Lay waiting outside the main entrance.

“Lay, you’re here.”

“Oh yeah. Do you have any plans for dinner?”

“Hmmm… I did. But Kai had to work overtime tonight.”

“Oh. So, you’re free then?”

“Yeap. Your treat?”

“No problem.”

 

We went to a beach resort. As we get inside, it has the Caribbean spirit on it. I bet the architect of this resort is fond of seashores. You can see passion on each detail.

“This place is amazing.”

“I know you would love it here.”

“How did you know this place?”

“I’m really close to the owner.”

“Cool!” Then I remember. I saw these details before, in one of Lay’s sketch books. “This is yours.”

He looked at me. “I wasn’t expecting you would figure out that fast.”

“Well, as you can see, I’m born to be a genius.”

“I let you off with it.” I gave him a glare. “Well, Hyorin, you’re a genius.”

Well, we still never change. We are still the childish adults.

 

We ate our dinner and decided to walk around the shore. We looked at the clear sky and the full moon on it.

“I envy the moon.”

He looked at me, confused.

“Why would you?”

“Because it glows every night like nothing else matters and people who see it have the urge to love them.”

He smiled at me and looked at the sky.

“Why? Do you think no one looked at you like you’re glowing and fall in love?”

“I don’t know. But I still envy them.”

“Do you know there’s a story about this moon? My grandma used to tell it to me.”

“Really? What is it? Tell me.”

“Okay. Here it goes. Long time ago, there’s a young beautiful maiden. She was given a gift of beauty by a nymph. No man can actually resist her beauty. And one day, she fell in love with a guy. They both love each other. But later on, she found out that this guy is having a fatal disease. She was desperate to save the guy, so she went to the nymph who gave her the gift. She asked for help. But the nymph told her that if she wants to save the one she love, she must sacrifice her life. She’ll be reincarnated back into nature. With no thinking, she agreed. All she could think about is to save him. She doesn’t care if she’ll be gone, as long as she can save him. That’s the most important thing.”

“Then the guy stayed alive and the girl was reincarnated into a moon. Typical story.”

“Yeap. But there’s more to it.”

“Okay. Go on.”

“Then the girl was reincarnated into a moon as the guy’s disease fade off. But before she disappeared, she broke up with him, saying that she doesn’t love him and she was just playing with him. The guy hated the girl, because he loved the girl. But when he found out about the truth, he felt more hurt and hated himself. He asked the nymph to bring back the girl in exchange of his life. But the nymph can no longer do that. So, he wished that if he can’t make the girl come back, he wants to be close with the girl. Yet, it is impossible since, there’s only one moon. So, the nymph told him, if he wants to be the sun. The sun and the moon may be far from each other, but there are times that they actually meet. Then, the guy decided to be reincarnated as a Sun. He can’t let go of his Moon and all he wants is to have the chance to be with her. He took that chance. From then on, every time the moon and the sun meet up, it means the guy is with the girl he loves.”

“Wow! That’s a great story. I hope I have the courage like the Moon and the Sun has.”

“Me too.”

He looked at me and took off his jacket.

“You’re freezing.”

He gently covered his jacket around me and hugged me from the back.

“When will be our eclipse happen?” He muttered.