BBQ

Take Things As They Come

A/N: Suspend your disbelief, guys. I think this fic is going to become utterly unrealistic in terms of chronology, as well as sociality.

Also, I've realized that my chapters are kind of short. I'll try and pack them with more content, sorry...

 

Too soon after you doze off on Sehun's shoulder, the two vans slow to a stop on the outskirts of Gangnam-gu.

"Walk from here so the vans don't attract attention," EXO-M Manager oppa directs. "Remember, your flight is early tomorrow morning. Get back as soon as you're done eating. No procrastinating," he says brusquely.

"Arasoyo, hyung," EXO-M minus Minseok plus Sehun choruses.

"…" you topple over as everyone gets out of the van and Sehun shifts a little, trying to wake you up.

"Yah, noona," he grumbles. "Ireonaaa!" he whines.

"Aish… Arasoooo." Whining back, you open your eyes blearily and, without waiting for him to move, crawl slowly over him (half sitting in his lap) to get out. He sits stock-still while you maneuver yourself into the night air.

This noona, seriously. Sehun shakes his head, a faint blush on his cheeks.

 

***

 

The short nap on the car has recharged you somewhat, and you manage to make it into the restaurant under your own power.

"Annyeonghaseyo, and welcome. Private rooms, I presume?" the manager of the BBQ restaurant greets the group. "You'll need to split into two groups. Our rooms only seat 7 people, maximum."

"Arasoyo," Suho nods.

The manager leads you and EXO into the restaurant and gestures at the two private rooms on opposite ends of the hallway, about 5 meters apart. "Here you are. Would you like to order now?"

"Yes, that would be good." Suho stays outside to place the order while somehow Sehun drags you into one of the rooms, closely followed by Tao.

"Jieeeeee (Noonaaaa), sit with me!" Tao demands childishly.

Sehun plops you down in between him and the EXO-M maknae as Kai enters the room, arm around D.O..

"Soo, what about…" Chanyeol trails in after D.O., chattering about something or another.

Kris is in the other room, I guess, you think as Suho shuts the door behind himself. Though you feel natural around most of the other EXO members now, and don't mind Kris' absence as much, the news you received earlier makes you want the comfort of someone familiar.

Waiting for the meat to arrive, you quickly start dozing off again, exhausted by the emotions that have been running riot within you since this morning. When the platters of side dishes are set on the table, however, you jolt awake at the loud noises of boys fighting over food.

You shiver once, violently, but nobody appears to notice. The aroma of the dishes wafts over and your stomach clenches as you try not to gag.

Seeing Suho reach for the tongs, which are closer to you, you grab them first and get up to stand over the grill. Ignoring Suho's half-hearted noises of protest, you carefully start to grill the meat, supporting yourself with one arm on the table.

Unbeknownst to you, the scene, so reminiscent of the Weekly Idol fiasco, triggers an amalgam of emotions in the men sitting in front of you. Remorse hits Sehun like a tidal wave, yet again. In the others, fear and worry that something similar will happen again, but also longing as they're reminded of their faraway mothers. Only one mind stays somewhat unaffected– Do Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo is also the only one who hears someone (something?) at the door. But when he turns around, nobody is there.

 

***

 

Before long, the first batch of meat is cooked. Consternation is clear on everyone's face when you blot the oily meat on a wad of paper towels. However, they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them, and all accept the meat gratefully, without a word of complaint, murmuring their thanks.

You make your way around the table distributing the meat, but when you get to Tao and Sehun, you set the plate down and instead pick up some lettuce.

Tao pouts. "Jie (Noona), don't I get any?"

"Aiee, hai zi, deng yi xia! (Aiee, child, wait a moment!) No patience," you mutter. Properly chastised, he watches quietly as you make him a wrap. His mouth isn't the only thing that waters when you finally offer it to him.

"Xie xie, jie jie! (Thanks, noona!)" He mumbles tearfully. It's been so long since he's felt this kind of maternal caring.

"Bu ke qi. Bie chi dong xi shi jiang hua. (You're welcome. Don't talk while eating)."

Sehun is taken aback when you start to make him a wrap as well. "Noona, you don't have to-"

You cut him off by putting the wrap into his mouth. The stoic maknae grunts in surprise and struggles to maintain composure, covering his mouth while he chews diligently through the wrap you made for the purpose of shutting him up.

You weave behind his chair and take your position behind the grill again. Your legs give out slightly but you manage to conceal it well enough, holding casually onto the table.

Your phone buzzes on your seat as the second batch is cooking. Tao glances over and makes a face.

 

To: 寶貝

From: 巨人 Kevin (吳亦凡)

 

I miss you. Why are you over there with the kids? Come here. ;(

 

Tao chews furiously, cheeks bulging like a chipmunk's, as he picks up his own phone and sends an indignant text.

 

To: Kris 哥 (Hyung)

From: 黃子韜 (Huang Zitao)

 

Bu xing! Jie jie bu xiang guo qu. (No! Noona doesn't want to go.)

 

To: 黃子韜 (Huang Zitao)

From: Kris 哥 (Hyung)

 

Tao, ni xiao zi, ni gan ma kan Bao de duan xun? (Tao, you li'l brat, what are you doing reading Jewel's texts?)

 

You're suddenly at Tao's side with another wrap that you stuff into his mouth before he can respond to Kris' text. You proceed to make another and stuff that into Sehun's mouth, then wipe your hands and pick up your phone, bracing yourself on the back of your chair as you do so. Using the chair to push yourself back upright, you stumble backwards into the wall and close your eyes briefly to ward off dizziness, hoping fervently that the mishap wasn't too conspicuous. Thankfully, when you open your eyes again, nobody reacts, though Kyungsoo does make eye contact with you for one expressionless moment.

You duck your head down and check the text. A smile appears on your face as you read it.

"I'm going to check on the others," you murmur, heedless of Tao's whines, and slip outside. When you open the door to the other room, it takes everything you have to not gag. Though it's the same as the first room, full of the smell of cooking meat, your brief journey through the relatively aroma-free hallway seems to have reset your senses.

This room is pretty lively, or it was. Xiumin, who was evidently in the middle of a story when you opened the door, cuts off abruptly, ending with a lame, "And yeah, that's what happened," and shuts up, avoiding eye contact.

"Have you eaten?" Kris asks, looking you over.

"Yes," you lie. There's no way you're going to worry him. Besides, you'll eat some bread or something when you get back to campus.

"You're paler than ever. Sit," he fusses, pulling you down onto an empty chair, but you resist and instead stand over the grill.

"Tongs," you demand. Lay wordlessly hands the utensil over and props his head on his hand, watching you cook in silence.

The only sounds are the hissing and spitting of the oil dripping from the meat as the six boys stare at you. It's the same thing again. The feeling of maternal care is almost overwhelming.

"寶貝, you shouldn't be overworking yourself," Kris complains.

You ignore him and blot the meat before making your rounds.

Chenbaek chorus their thanks, eyes curving into crescents. Luhan smiles sweetly, Lay bows (honestly, that boy bows too much), and Xiumin mutters "kamsahamnida" without making eye contact.

Kris pouts when he's the last, but quits sulking when you make him a wrap.

"Ahh~" you instruct him, holding it out.

He chomps it out of your hand and chews in bliss, but it's gone in a matter of seconds. "It's so small," he whines.

"That's because I knew you were going to eat it in one bite," you retort, effectively smacking him down. "Here." You hold out a second wrap to appease him.

While he's demolishing that one, you head back towards the grill, but turn around midway. "I'll be right back, I'm just going to the bathroom," you announce, setting down the plate. Instead of bolting out of the room, you walk sedately around the table and gently close the door behind you when you leave. You don't want to worry them, after all.

Once in the hallway, however, you have no such qualms. With one hand clamped over your nose and mouth, you walk as quickly as you can manage towards where you think the bathroom may be.

"Excuse me? Where is the bathroom?" you ask hurriedly. The helpful waitress points it out for you and bows when you thank her. Bowing back brings you within the range of a host of greasy scents from the main body of the restaurant. You stifle a retch as you straighten and walk in the direction she showed you as normally as possibly.

 

***

 

Inside, D.O. has finished eating. Against his will, he finds himself saying, "I'll be right back. Just going to the bathroom."

 

 

Upon finally reaching the bathroom, you push the door open weakly. Fortunately, there's nobody inside. But you've walked away from the wretched scent of cooking meat only to face the fumes of ammonia. Stumbling into a stall, you gag, throwing up only liquid as your stomach convulses. You're glad you didn't force yourself to eat something earlier.

 

***

 

Kyungsoo washes his hands and leaves the men's bathroom. There's a sound coming from the women's bathroom, adjacent. Quickly, he checks on the two rooms EXO is occupying, but his hopes are dashed when he finds you absent.

 

***

 

Once your body decides to calm down somewhat, you rinse out your mouth and wipe the cold sweat off your face.

You look like a corpse. As you stare at your reflection in the mirror, you wonder, Is this what Mom and Dad look like now? Suddenly you're almost thankful that your last image of them is from their farewell at the airport, waving and smiling at you. The thought brings tears to your eyes. You resolutely wipe them away before they can make their way down your face.

When you open the door, it's to reveal none other than Do Kyungsoo.