Weekly Idol (Part II)

Take Things As They Come

A/N: Chinese, Korean

 

"Daehyuk isn't here!" someone wearing a headset reports, panicked, to some people sitting on the ground.

"Bwoh?! Why are you only telling me this now?"

"He left just a few minutes ago!" the panicky young one yelps.

"Just get any of the staff to do it!" the PD hisses.

"We're short-handed-" the younger tries to say.

The PD looks around quickly and points. "Her! She doesn't look like she has anything to do, what do you mean we're short-handed?"

"Who?" The one with the headset follows the PD's gaze. "Oh, uh, I don't think she's staff-"

"Of course she is! Just do it already, we don't have time! EXO is a busy group!" The PD looks ready to explode.

"O-okay," the younger one stutters.

Someone stops beside you. It's him, the one wearing the headset.

"Please come with me." He heads over to the PD as if expecting you to follow. Since you have nothing better to do, you trail after him.

"Go on set and grill the meat for this corner," the PD orders, not looking at you. When you just stare at him, he looks at you. "Yah! What are you waiting for? We don't have all day!" he roars.

Kris looks like he's going to blow a gasket. What is he doing? Why is he yelling at Jewel?

You bow deeply and apologize before walking onto set, taking your place behind the grill. EXO's eyes widen and Baekhyun begins to stand up, only to be yanked back into his seat by Suho as the cameras begin to roll. You avoid their gazes. If you look at them, you may just start to laugh.

Defconn and Hyungdon look slightly thrown by the change of plans, but they start their introduction.

Bored, you shift from foot to foot as they explain the segment, the members ooh-ing and aah-ing at opportune moments. You catch Lay's eye as he sits quietly, JPG-ing like there's no tomorrow. You send a small wink his way, prompting a surprised look and a sweet smile. It's a small action, but nothing escapes the hawk eyes of the two MCs. You drop your gaze as they follow Lay's eyes to you.

"Oh? It looks like Lay sees something he likes!" Hyungdon exclaims mischievously. Kris winces slightly as the cameras zoom in on you. Your eyes dart surreptitiously to him- the pained look on his too-cool face makes you choke down a laugh.

"Can you introduce yourself, miss?" Defconn grins after reading the cue board that the PD is holding up (follow up!).

You look up, as if surprised. "Me?" you ask shyly, hand to your chest, eyes wide. Now it's time for Kris to choke. Did someone take Jewel away?

What… Luhan thinks apprehensively. This won't be good.

Suho furrows his brow. What just happened?

Tao elbows Lay, hard. He covers his mic and whispers into the blond's ear: "哥!What did you do?!"

"Nothing," Lay retorts defensively. All I did was smile at her… Darned MCs!

Someone comes up to you and hands you a mic. "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm your server for today," you smile demurely and bow toward them. Half a beat later, chairs clatter and screech on the ground as some of the members (namely Baekhyun, Lay, Chanyeol, Chen, and Suho) automatically try to stand and bow as well. You lift a brow at them off-screen before dropping your gaze again, acting embarrassed.

The MCs are falling around, imitating their actions. "Aigoo, Lay!"

He flushes and looks at his hands.

"The server is very pretty, right?" Hyungdon asks Lay pushily.

Defconn turns to you. "Are you wearing make-up?" he asks curiously. What a strange question. And why is he wearing sunglasses indoors?

"No?" you answer questioningly.

"Wahh! She looks like an idol even without makeup, right?" Defconn exclaims.

Twelve minds agree.

Kris stares at his band mate. Shut up and stay silent, he warns. He doesn't want to cause more trouble for you.

Do I nod? Do I not nod? Lay thinks, panicking. In the end, he just stares at his hands and doesn't answer.

"Well, there's our answer! Lay, if you win, she'll serve you! So work hard, everybody!" Defconn claps his hands. They begin the game as EXO lets out a silent, collective sigh of relief. The crisis is over...

"Chuck tail flap? Let's see… Ohhh, this first challenge is one that every idol star knows! It's... wink time!" Hyungdon announces.

The PD scribbles frantically and holds up a new cue.

The look on some of the members' faces makes you laugh quietly.

"But!" Defconn interjects, reading the board. "There's a twist!" he warns.

"We won't be judging," Hyungdon grins.

"Our pretty server will judge!" Defconn announces dramatically.

You widen your eyes again as all turn to look at you. Oh. You maintain a poker face. This is going to be interesting.

"That's not fair, she's biased!" Chanyeol complains suddenly. Baekhyun nods vigorously.

You blink innocently at them and shake your head slightly. "Aniyo," you murmur.

Jewel, what is your play? Kris thinks, frustrated.

"Miss Server, please greet each of the members by name," Hyungdon gestures. "Surely we can tell if she's biased then."

You nod and start. Let's spice it up a bit.  "Annyeonghaseyo, Henry-ssi," you begin, bowing straight-faced at Kris. "Annyeonghaseyo-"

The set dissolves into raucous laughter. At least, the MCs do. EXO is too shocked to do anything.

"Wait wait wait!" Hyungdon gasps.

Defconn flaps his hand at you. "Do you really not know who these idols are?"

"Super Junior…?" You whisper tentatively before cringing, covering your face (your grin) with your hands. "It's not? I'm so sorry, I'm new here," you apologize, bowing several times.

Luhan nudges Suho. Let's just play along.

"Gwenchanayo," Suho says warmly. With a look from him, the EXO members stand up. "1, 2, 3- We are one! Annyeonghaseyo, EXO-imnida!" They chorus, bowing.

You bow again and straighten, staring wide-eyed at them for a few seconds before bursting into laughter. Startled, they start to laugh as well, though they don't know why. The MCs frantically look to the PD to see what to do, but he's panicking as well.

"Sorry," you apologize cheerfully. "I do know EXO," you grin. The abrupt about-face from your demure, chaste attitude has the MCs blinking from whiplash.

"Wow, really? You're good at variety!" Hyungdon is the first to react, improvising. "You were acting all this time?"

You bite your lip and blink innocently.

"Daebak," Defconn declares. "You should be an actress."

You just smile and begin to lay the meat on the grill as the PD spasmodically waves the cue board. He's made a mistake!

"Alright! Let's begin!" Hyungdon claps his hands.

"Kris, you start! Set an example with your cold city guy wink," Defconn prompts.

One camera remains on you to capture your reaction as you keep one eye on the boys, another on the meat. The PD is frowning. He forgot that you have to grill the meat and just impulsively made you the judge. What if you burn it?

Kris sighs. He knows he has no choice. He picks up the glass in front of him and sends you a silent plea. "Excuse me," he mumbles into it as he makes eye contact with you and winks. You press your lips together tightly in an attempt not to laugh as the rest of EXO go into fits.

Oh my god, Jewel's going to tease me about this forever, Kris groans internally, collapsing onto the table in shame.

After a good laugh, the MCs turn to see your reaction. You quit grinning and look up from the grill. You pretend to gaze longingly at Kris, making sure to be obvious.

"Miss Actress is back!" Hyungdon jokes. "Alright, we won't embarrass Kris anymore- On to Chanyeol!"

Flashing his teeth in a nervous smile, he fixes his cap and winks quickly. Ah, you're a giant, oppa, but why are you so adorable? "Ah, so cute~" you laugh.

Next, Baekhyun grins widely. "Oh, Jagiya~" he calls and does a cheesy wink.

"Eek!" You cringe and laugh. "Ah, oppa~" you play along. He widens his eyes at your unexpected reply but improvises by forming a heart over his head with his arms. You smile and flash him a heart with your fingers, putting down the tongs momentarily.

The others fidget, dissatisfied.

"Ohhh~" the MCs react. "Miss Actress is so cute! It's like Baekhyun's really older than her!" Oh, but he is.

"The pressure is on!" Hyungdon declares.

"So burdensome," Tao complains, pouting.

"For that, Tao- You next!" Hyungdon grins.

"Ah, whyy~" he combs his hair slightly and tries for cute. "Noona~" he calls, making you stifle a smile. He winks and you chuckle. "好可愛!(So adorable!)"

The MCs look at you in shock after hearing your perfect pronunciation. "You know Chinese?"

"A bit," you say, shrugging. The EXO members struggle not to laugh.

"You look so young! But you must be out of college, to work here," Defconn observes.

Actually, I don't work here, you want to say. But that wouldn't go down too well. "Kamsahamnida," you just say, bowing.

Kris wants to face palm.

The rest of the members go through their winks, one by one.

For some unfathomable reason, every time you react, they all laugh.

Sehun's wink makes you laugh. You can tell he doesn't want to meet your eyes. Sehunnie~ I'm not going to bite!

Luhan's wink is handsome and cute at the same time. Bambi ge, 你好可愛 (you're so cute!). You chuckle and exaggeratedly pretend to be shy.

He looks gratified and Kris looks scared.

Suho's wink is rather cool, considering how mom-ish he is normally. But to you he's still kind of adorable.

Ugh… Minseok thinks. This is so weird… but I might as well. He clears his throat and fixes his collar before resting an elbow on the table. He tilts his head up, looks at you with half lidded eyes, and winks seductively.

Oh my. Your heart rate increases and you almost forget to flip the meat.

Chen's is a little weird. You're fascinated by the curl of his lips that accompanies his precise wink.

Kyungsoo's appears rather unwilling, but his half-smile is something else. You rest a hand on the table as you find it suddenly difficult to remain standing.

"Can I put the four of you in my pocket?" you joke, alluding to their heights.

The MCs laugh uproariously. "You're funny!" Even the PD cracks a smile. He can see that you're paying attention to the meat, which alleviates his worry somewhat.

Lay's wink is simple and sweet. Those dimples of his though… You just want to reach across and hug him.

Kai goes last. He captures your eyes with a sizzling gaze. You feel the breath leave your body as he winks.  Showing no sign of emotion, you draw in a shaky, silent breath and force yourself to calmly flip the last slice of meat. He looks away in embarrassment. Phew.

"Alright, who do you choose?" The MCs look at you expectantly.

You ponder the choices, meeting each of the members' eyes in turn. When you get to Tao, he breaks out the aegyo. "Buing buing~"

Chaos ensues. "Not fair!"

"Don't choose him!"

"He's cheating!"

You frown at Tao. "That was naughty," you scold teasingly. "No meat for you."

He sits back, crestfallen. The others cheer.

"Hm… On what criteria am I choosing?" you ask.

"It doesn't matter. Just pick the one who you liked the best," the MCs urge.

"Ah…" You take your time, placing the last piece of meat onto the plate.

"What are you doing?!"