Big News!

Take Things As They Come

A/N: English, Thai, Korean

Clarification: Wiwat is Thai, but he is fluent in both English and Korean as well.

 

Come morning, the Internet is in an uproar.

". I don't believe this," Minseok mutters, staring at the computer screen.

He looks around. None of the other M members are awake. He sits back and contemplates the news.

Meanwhile, in the K dorm, Sehun has discovered the frenetic activity online as well.

His jaw drops. His first thought is to tell Luhan, but then he remembers why he can't. Resolute, he dresses carefully and leaves the dorm.

 

***

 

When you walk into the gym this morning, Wiwat ambushes you. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" you ask, puzzled.

"Never mind. You have got to see this," he says, grabbing your arm and towing you over to his laptop.

"www.allkpop.com," you read the domain name. "Mysterious girl makes cameo on Weekly Idol? What is this?"

"Continue reading!" he urges.

You scroll down. There's a screen capture of a video, a close-up of a girl, slightly blurry. Your eyes widen. "Hey… is that me?"

Wiwat jumps around. "It IS, right? Why didn't you tell me?"

Ignoring him, you keep reading. "An unprecedented situation occurred during this week's episode of Weekly Idol, with the members of EXO as guests. During the BBQ corner, the never-before female server was introduced into the conversation after catching the attention of Lay. She conversed wittily with the MCs and guests, astonishing all with her variety sense as well as her natural beauty. Most comments regarding the girl are positive. However, a small percentage of netizen comments are malicious and appear to be from sasaeng fans." You wince.

"MBC has since released an official statement denying any affiliation with the woman, to everyone's shock. Netizens are in a frenzy trying to find out who the enigmatic girl, whom they have dubbed 'Weekly Idol's Mona Lisa', is. Photos of her have yet to surface. Some speculators believe that she is a soon-debuting S.M. trainee, going by her style and the comfortable way she interacts with EXO. Others think that she may be a sibling of one of the EXO members. However, all agree that the mysterious girl is an ulzzang. S.M. Entertainment has yet to issue an official statement." You finish reading. "What the hell is this?" you demand.

Without speaking, Wiwat clicks into another tab. "Tumblr?" you ask skeptically.

"Don't judge."

Your face contorts in dismay as gifs appear on the screen. Multiple yous wink on an infinite loop. "Oh my god."

"That's not all…" he goes to Twitter and points. "#weeklyidolmonalisa and #weeklyidolulzzang are trending. And-" he switches to Youtube.

"MBC on the Weekly Idol Mona Lisa," the title of the video reads.

How the do things blow up like this? I appeared for all of what, five minutes? This is insane.

"I am here today to clarify the issue of the woman on this week's episode of Weekly Idol. She is not, I repeat, not one of MBC's employees. We do not have any affiliation with this woman. She was mistakenly given the task of assisting with the corner because the regular assistant was not present at the time. We did not cut the video because EXO were not able to film enough material for us to do so, due to a busy schedule. We corrected the mistake on set as soon as possible. We apologize for our indiscretion. The production designer has been appropriately chastised."

You shut the laptop before Wiwat can click anything else.

He looks at you. "What?"

"This is stupid. Things will blow over. Can't we just train?"

"Okay," Wiwat agrees. He thinks it's rather exciting, but if you don't want to talk about it, he won't push you.

"Thanks."

 

***

 

A figure in faded, ripped jeans and an oversized black hoodie makes his way back to the dorm with his head lowered, a drink in hand.

Even if I found her, would she have spoken to me? he wonders, trashing the untouched drink. Probably not. I was an idiot last time.

She was right about dressing 'normally', though. He sighs.

 

***

 

Dohyuk has always considered himself intelligent. But recently he's been feeling incredibly incompetent. He's the only talent scout who hasn't scouted a single soul in the year since he was hired. The one reason why he hasn't been sacked is that his appa plays basketball with JYP.

Dohyuk had an epiphany about half a year after he was hired. What if, he hypothesized, instead of scouting on the streets, he scouted people in dance studios? In karaokes?

The idea still hasn't paid off after six months of diligent execution. He's almost ready to just give up. He doesn't know whether it's because his standards are too high or because he just doesn't have the eye.

Even so, to his chagrin, one of the Cube talent scouts has been sticking to him like a leech for the past two weeks. Cheater.

And finally, to make matters worse, JYP samchon finally gave him an ultimatum at 6 in the morning today. "Find me the girl on this week's Weekly Idol," he said after waking Dohyuk up with a phone call.

"But she's an S.M. trainee!" Dohyuk protested.

"Sooman hasn't issued a statement yet."

"I don't know, samchon, she seems quite familiar with EXO."

"I'm positive, Dohyuk. She's not bubblegum pop, she's hip hop."

Dohyuk rolled his eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Dohyuk."

How did he know?! "She's practically nonexistent, samchon! There are no pictures of her, anywhere!"

"You're smart, Dohyuk. Just find her for me and I'll forget your year-long dry spell." And that was the end of that.

Just find the girl? Why don't you just sack me already? Evil samchon. Setting me up to fail. But then again… he did say I'm smart, Dohyuk preens, then remembers his mission. I don't even have anywhere to start. I might as well wait for her to fall from the sky. It'll do me as much good.

In a ing terrible mood again, Dohyuk reaches his first destination of the day. Giving the Cube leech the evil eye, he trudges up the stairs and yanks open the first door from which he hears music.

He is met with something that is not dancing.

"Sorry!" he bows hurriedly and is halfway down the stairs before he realizes something. Hey. There was a girl in there. What's a girl doing in a boxing gym? OH my god. Soloist material! He's back up the stairs in a flash and peeking inside the room. He can't see your face; your back is to the door. She's kind of… short, he thinks despondently. Doesn't look like she's even 160 cm… But I guess that may be workable as a concept. Small but packs a punch. Besides, height isn't everything in the industry nowadays, he thinks convincingly to himself. I just hope she's not hideous…

Lost in thought, Dohyuk doesn't notice that the two of you have stopped sparring.

"Are you going to come in?" you ask irritably, turning to face him. "You're letting out the AC."

"Hey, don’t drive a potential customer away," Wiwat protests.

"Oh, I'm not interested in boxing," Dohyuk denies, then stares at you, bug-eyed. He can feel a heart attack coming on.

"It's Muay Thai."

"Ah, yes," he nods blankly, still staring at you.

When he doesn't say anything further, you shrug and turn back to Wiwat. "Let's just continue."

Behind you, Dohyuk pulls out his phone, almost dropping it in his rush. He frantically gets his passcode wrong twice before successfully unlocking the device. He nearly faints when he's met by the screen capture of your wink. Am I dreaming?

"Wait! Uh, miss," he fumbles. "I'm uh, Dohyuk, a JYP talent scout-"

"Nope," you cut him off. "Not interested."

"Hear him out, will you? You did the same thing to the YG talent scout. You're so mean!" Wiwat exclaims. "Some people would kill for the chances you get!"

Oh no. YG? As in YG Ent? JYP samchon won't be happy.

"Yeah, not me. He can talk. We'll spar. I'll listen," you inform him.

Wiwat rolls his eyes. "Show off."

You jab at him in response. He throws up his guard reflexively.

"Talk, Dohyuk," you say with gritted teeth as you follow up with a kick. "You better make it fast."

Intimidated, he starts stuttering.

Oops, scared him. "Calm down," you order, not unkindly. "It's not like I'm going to hurt you."

"The poor guy. He looks like he's about to pee his pants," Wiwat grins.

"You're this girl, right?" Dohyuk holds out his phone like an offering.

Oh no. No way. "No, I'm not," you mutter irritably. 

Dohyuk takes a deep breath and falls to his knees behind you. Wiwat gapes. His expression makes you turn. Aghast, you just stare at the man on the floor. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Please, if you would just make an appearance at the company! I'll get fired otherwise!" he begs.

Who knew a couple of minutes on a TV show would come to this? you think, frustrated beyond belief. "I'm not interested," you repeat yourself firmly, trying not to look at him. How did he even find me? My name wasn't mentioned on the show at all.

"Please."

"No," you grunt stubbornly, jabbing at Wiwat.

"If you don't want me to bother you... Can you just come to Inkigayo tonight?" he suddenly asks. I can just point her out to samchon and he can deal with her himself. He'll be there anyway, watching GOT7.

"Why? It's hard to get into Inkigayo, though," Wiwat frowns. "I tried," he pouts dejectedly.

"I don't fancy spending an entire afternoon in line just because you say so," you state drily. "I don't even know who's performing."

"I'll give you a pass to jump the line!" Dohyuk wails in desperation. "Both of you! I'll even make sure you get to stand in the front!" I found her, but why is she so hard to communicate with? She would make a horrible idol. But I guess whatever lets me keep my job…

"Ooh! Oh my god! Really?" Wiwat gasps. "Jewel, c'mon, we should go! It'll be fun!"

You stare at him. "Don't tell me you really want to go. Who knows what kind of crazy they'll pull?"

"Pleeeease?" he wheedles.

"Don't you start that," you warn him.

"Pleeeeeeeease?" Two sets of eyes gaze at you pleadingly.

"Ugh. Fine," you groan, caving in. "Now stop looking at me like that." I guess it won't be that bad… what's the worst that can happen?

"YES!" Dohyuk and Wiwat both leap into the air, cheering.

"Just tell them Dohyuk sent you!" the scout says quickly before rushing out, already dialing JYP.

"Samchon! I found her! You've just got to pull some strings with the Inkigayo security…"