4

For What It's Worth: The Clockwork Sequel

Sunhwa came home with a fresh load of groceries and most of it seemed to be meat and vegetables along with some other small snack items. She also was stocked up on milk and spices. A lot of spices.

                “It’s because I have a very unbalanced palette and if I don’t seem to cover everything in them, I simply can’t taste it!” Sunhwa said as you and Daehyun helped her unload it all and put it away. The only things she said for you to leave out was a few packages of beef and pork, and she said she was going to put them into a freezer in her garage because there wasn’t enough room in the one in the kitchen, and she was right. It was stocked up to the brim with frozen foods which she said she ate when she was alone which was most of the time, and if not, she gave them out to other’s who came in and just wanted a quick meal.

                “Does that Himchan kid still come by?” Daehyun asked, and Sunhwa gave him a disapproving look.

                “He’s older than you, so that’s hyung to you mister.” Sunhwa said, and Daehyun smiled.

                “Does that mean you’re my noona?” he asked, and Sunhwa batted her eyelashes and flicked her hair.

                “Only if you so please. But, we’re in America now. There’s no need.” she said, and you were lost, but she was back on track in no time. “And yes, he does. He and Jongup frequent here a lot, and I know they’ll be devastated to hear that Junhong has passed.” Sunhwa said, and Daehyun perked up.

                “Have you called the police about it yet?” he asked, and Sunhwa nodded, her face looking sullen.

                “I have. They met me at the scene and I told them that I had seen a swarm of crows and I was curious since I am a country girl and I wanted to protect my crops. They immediately called cause of death as overdose because of the needle marks and they didn’t question why he was in the barrel either. It all went smoothly, so you two shouldn’t worry about it.” she told him, but she was glancing to you every so often, and her voice was soft. It was a very assuring tone, and it made you feel safe. Daehyun was visibly more relaxed as well.

                “Thank you, Sunhwa. You really are a goddess when you need to be. I remember when I first met you, Yongguk brought me here and you chewed my ear off for being so unkempt and you made me shower for like, an hour and a half.” Daehyun said, laughing. Sunhwa chuckled herself and began to pull out chicken s and other various items in order to prepare lunch. Daehyun had excused himself to sit at the counter again and he had you join him.

                “Did I really?” she asked, and Daehyun nodded.

                “You timed it. I would try and shut off the water and I could hear you from the living room yelling at me I still needed to stay in there for another hour in order to rid myself of all the grime I had on me.” he told her, and you had to laugh at him.

                “And?”

                “And you were right. At least afterwards I got to have a pot pie and it was really good. How come you never will give anyone your recipes?” he asked, and Sunhwa giggled.

                “They’re a family secret Daehyun!” she said, a bright smile on her soft face. She was wearing a peach colored lipstick that seemed to have some red in it too, and her eyes were soft with yellows and she looked like fire. She was a blazing person in both personality and looks, and you could only wish you could surmount to half her beauty. Daehyun though, couldn’t keep his eyes off you. Even as he and Sunhwa conversed, he’d take time to just turn to you and look at you. He would sigh and grin, and you felt like flicking him on the nose and telling him it’s not polite to stare, though you had already been over that earlier.

                “Do you have any family recipes?” Sunhwa asked you, pulling you into the conversation, and you shook you head meekly.

                “I don’t cook much other than soups.” you told her, and she looked genuinely interested.

                “Anything from scratch?” she asked, and you nodded this time.

                “I sometimes makes chicken noodle soup from scratch and potato soup as well. I’ve been meaning to make some tortilla soup, but I haven’t had the time. Or, I didn’t have the time and I didn’t want to make a soup when it was getting hot out because I didn’t know if that would be good.” you said, and Daehyun looked proud as Sunhwa looked to you, still prepping for lunch. She had cut the fat off two chicken s and was dicing up vegetables as well. There were corn cobs set out, and she seemed to move with grace. She was so motherly. It made you worry.

                “Daehyun, could you go light the grill? I’m thinking since the weather is nice, we should eat outside.” she said, and Daehyun was quick to get up and grab a lighter from a drawer in the kitchen. Once he left, Sunhwa was back to talking to you.

                “You don’t seem too confident in your culinary skills.” Sunhwa said, and you didn’t know what to say. “I think you should come back here once you and Daehyun are done and I can teach you a few things.”

                “Why can’t I bring him along?” you asked, and Sunhwa looked to you, a glint in her eye that threw you off.

                “Didn’t I say you and Daehyun would be done?” she asked, and you nodded. “Oh, honey, you didn’t think that I meant when you were done with your trip, did you? Heavens, no!” she laughed out, and you wanted Daehyun back with you to protect you now. “I meant he’s probably going to leave you. There are loads of better girls out there who could give him a nicer home, and you’re not too good looking. He can do better than you. Take me for instance.” she said, and you tried to remain calm.

                “He already said he wouldn’t marry you.” you told her, and she cocked her head and grinned again.

                “Are you so sure? Words are petty in the grand scheme of things. You can’t even cook anything other than soup from scratch and he has quite the insatiable appetite. How many times have you and he had ?” she asked, and before you were about to open your mouth and say anything, Daehyun walked back into the house, oblivious to anything that was going on, and Sunhwa changed moods. “Really? That’s so cool. I would love to meet you cat!”

                Your skin crawled and a shiver ran down your spine. She was playing you. She didn’t even want Daehyun for herself. She was just trying to make you feel like dirt, and it was working. Daehyun seemed to smile right at her, and that made you want to puke. You no longer wanted her hospitality, and the comment about the hunger he had and then her asking you about made you think that you weren’t giving him enough. You had denied him earlier and what if he was going to leave you because of something as petty as that? You wanted to cry as Daehyun got back up onto his chair and place his hand on your thighs, giving it a squeeze as to ask if you were okay.

                “Is the grill lit?” Sunhwa asked, and Daehyun hummed, nodding. She smiled back at him and took out the food to start cooking, and as she walked away, you looked at Daehyun with wild eyes, and before she was out the door, she looked back in at you two and winked. “You two should join me.” she offered, and Daehyun was about to go with her, but you tensed your thigh so he could feel it, and he stopped.

                “We’ll be out in a second.”

                “Suit yourself.” she replied, and the door shut and Daehyun turned to you, his face filled with concern.

                “Something’s not right with her. She said something about how when you and I are ‘done’ that I should come back here and learn something but that’s not the point, Daehyun,” you breathed out, and he was trying to cool you down now by massaging your shoulders. He was all ears. “She said you were going to leave me because I can’t cook, which, I know that’s stupid, but she just seemed so sure. She said you have an appetite that I can’t fulfill and then she asked me how many times we’ve had and I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean-”

                “It means I told her earlier that you and I are taking our time in this relationship and she thought that was odd considering who I was in the past. It’s her being way too old fashioned and she doesn’t realize people can change.” Daehyun said, pulling you into a hug and your hair. “You’re fine. Your cooking is great, and we don’t have often, but when we do, it’s terrific.” Daehyun laughed out, and you could feel the heat from his cheeks on yours. “Sunhwa’s trying to shake you. I don’t think she means harm. She’s always been a little scary, and I compared her to a mother because she’s overbearing like one too. Please, don’t let this bother you too much. We’ll eat lunch and then promptly leave, okay?” Daehyun said, and though you wanted to leave right then, you could it up. For him. You’d do anything for him.

                “Are you sure?” you asked him, and Daehyun nodded, his face pressed to your neck and you felt him kiss you. He was always so warm, and he knew what to do at all the right times. Daehyun was someone who you could run too even in your darkest moments and he would be there with open arms and ready to defend.

                “I’m sure. I’d never let anyone hurt you. You’re mine, and will always be as long as I can help it. I’ll fight off anyone who tries to harm you, and if Sunhwa says something to you again that makes you uncomfortable, I’ll talk to her.” he said, and you wrapped your arms around him and pulled him in closer to you, feeling his chest press against your body whenever he breathed in. He was still breathing steadily and you didn’t even know how your body was reacting. You could have been hyperventilating, crying, shaking, but you’d never know, because you were so focused on how Daehyun felt. “Come on, let’s go outside and join her. The weather’s nice, and we can go pick a few peaches as well.”

                You nodded, and when Daehyun let go of you, you missed him already. His body always felt so in place when it was pressed to yours. It seemed like the cosmos aligned whenever Daehyun held you close, and like the night before under the stars, you felt so small, but Daehyun would shelter you from anything menacing or deemed so. He was a knight in shining armor whose only fear was the night itself, and even then, he was learning how to fight that with his princess by his side. The way he smiled at you made you think he could read your mind, and you wouldn’t mind that. Maybe then he could know all the things you wanted to say.

                You and he walked outside hand in hand onto the green grass in Sunhwa’s front yard, and there was a table set up with three chairs and it had the classic checkered red and white table cloth on it and another daffodil in the center in a vase. It was already set and plates were out as well, and Sunhwa looked over her shoulder and smiled at the two if you as she flipped a chicken .

                “Did you two sort out whatever you wanted to talk about?” she asked, and Daehyun took the lead.

                “We did Sunhwa. Now, if you don’t mind, I think the miss and I are going to go pick a few peaches if that’s okay with you.” Daehyun said, and Sunhwa smiled and nodded. “Oh, and before I forget, are you putting strong pesticides on the crops?” he asked, and Sunhwa looked confused.

                “Why, no Daehyun. You know my crops are all natural. I never put on any chemicals. Why do you ask?” she asked him, and Daehyun shrugged and plastered on a fake grin.

                “I was just making sure they’re still like that. You know everyone these days and how they want everything to be free of all the good stuff.” Daehyun winked, and Sunhwa put a hand over her heart and she looked flattered that Daehyun cared about her small field.

                “Well, they always will be just grown with the love in my heart. And yes, you may go and pick some peaches. Remember the best ones are still on the tree. Don’t trust any on the ground, though I don’t think there will be much there yet.” she said, and Daehyun nodded. “Do you need a ladder?”

                “Nope, I think I’ll manage with her on my shoulders.” Daehyun said, pointing at you. Sunhwa’s face faltered for a second before you and he ran off towards the tree in the distance, and Daehyun looked cute as ever as he bounded over the grass, smiling so wide his face scrunched up and he picked up his pace when you made a comment about how you couldn’t wait to eat lunch.

                He beat you to the tree, which wasn’t a surprise. He was trying to jump up and reach the peaches on there, and his shirt would always flounce up and you could see his stomach. He crouched down low and tried again, and when his fingertips touched one, that was enough to satisfy him.

                “You need help?” you asked, breathless. You put your hands on your knees and Daehyun laughed, nodding as he motioned for you to come closer, and as you did, he got close to the ground and braced his body.

                “Get on my shoulders and I’ll tell you which ones to pick. I can tell by the color which ones will be the best, but I’m going to need you to tell me the texture.” he said, and you climbed on top of him, and as he rose, you tried to hold still to not make him topple over, though he lifted you with relative ease. When he was fully standing now, you looked above you, and you could touch the leaves so easily. Looking down at him though, he was looking up and blushing.

                “What are you thinking?” you asked, and Daehyun grinned.      

                “That your s are quite peachy as well.” he joked, and you rolled your eyes as he laughed. “Anyways, there’s one to your right that I want you to pick. When you do, tell me if it’s firm, slightly soft, or squishy.” he said, and you reached out, touching the fruit and giving it a little squeeze.

                “It’s soft!” you said down to him, and a smile spread across his face and you felt your body become a little lighter.

                “Pass it down then!” he said, and you plucked it off the branch, making others shake, but none fell. You dropped it for Daehyun to catch, and he did with a proud look on his face. He then rolled it onto the ground and away from all the others strays so he could determine which ones were the good ones.

                You picked about fifteen or so in total, and by the time you were done, Daehyun’s shoulders had gotten sore from you tensing you thighs around his head, and even though he had muttered something about how it was y, you ignored him and picked up a few peaches and loaded them into your arms. You each took about half, Daehyun carrying the extra, and you didn’t run this time because you were afraid of dropping anything. Daehyun looked quite happy with your haul, and when you reached to where Sunhwa was again, she was putting out portions of food onto the plates and setting them daintily on the table.

                “Well, looks like you never lost your eye for finding the best fruits on the trees.” Sunhwa complimented as you and he stood in front of the table, putting them down onto it and dusting off your hands. Daehyun grinned and picked up four and urged you to walk inside with him to wash them up. You followed behind and found it odd Daehyun didn’t reply to Sunhwa when she spoke. This was the first time. He didn’t really seem to make a big deal of it as he grabbed a few paper towels from the rack on the counter once you were inside again and he washed the fruits thoroughly. The way his long, slender fingers ran over them mesmerized you, and even though he was the one obsessed with hands, you found yourself staring at his.

                When all was done, he had them wrapped in paper towels again to pick up excess water, and one had two peaches in it.

                “I’m a hungry boy.” Daehyun simply said, walking out with you to the table where Sunhwa sat, and he pulled out his chair for you, and you noticed him move his so he was next to you and not more near Sunhwa, like where she had placed it. She made another look of distaste, but Daehyun didn’t pay attention.

                “Do you want to pray?” Daehyun asked Sunhwa, and she snapped to, smiling and clasping her hands together and muttering a prayer to herself. Daehyun once again sat and looked blankly around the yard, and you sat, staring at your plate and just thinking about how delicious it was going to be.

                Sunhwa had fixed a perfectly grilled chicken with cheese and ham on top of it along with a garlic pesto dressing. There was seasoned corn off to the side, topped with pepper and it was drowned in butter from the scent of it. Some grilled vegetables also were in a small dish in the center of the table to portion out yourself, and there was also fresh fruit again along with the peaches Daehyun had washed up and brought out to the table to share. Everything looked incredible, and once Sunhwa was done with her prayer, you picked up your fork and knife and cut right away into the chicken on your plate.

                When the knife cut into it, it was tender, and juices came out from the pressure, but the inside was an even white all the way through, and there were no charred bits at all. Daehyun was biting into a peach, his mouth ridiculously as and his teeth sunk in with ease. Juices dribbled down his chin and ran down his neck, but he was quick to grab the paper towel and wipe it all up. He seemed to eat it with such excitement, and Sunhwa watched on and laughed as she shaved the corn off of the cob and onto her plate. It was cooked so well that not a kernel of it was shriveled or blackened. Sunhwa was probably the best cook you had ever met.

                Eating in silence was peaceful, aside from Daehyun occasional groans over the deliciousness of the food. He wasn’t kidding when he said he was a hungry boy, because before you were even done with half your plate, he had gone through both the peaches and was nearly done with his corncob. He had food all around his mouth and didn’t bother to show his manners as he picked out some stray peach skin from between his teeth. He looked pleased though, and that’s all that really mattered. He was happy to see the ham and cheese on the chicken, and he picked it off with his fingers and popped it into his mouth tactlessly.

                “Do you have any extra pesto sauce?” Daehyun asked with a full mouth, and Sunhwa gave him a disapproving look and frowned.

                “Chew and swallow and ask me again. You’re eating like an animal.” she commented, and you laughed as Daehyun meekly smiled and wiped at his mouth, gulping down his bite.

                “Is there any extra pesto sauce?” he asked, and Sunhwa nodded and got up from the table, smoothing out her sundress in the process. Even for such a simple day, she was dressed to impress. Daehyun hummed happily as she walked to the grill and came back with a tub of it, and Daehyun didn’t even pour it on his chicken, he just cut it up into bites and dunked it in. Sunhwa once again grimaced, but Daehyun was too focused on eating to care.

                You tapped him on the shoulder and asked him for some, and he scooted the tub towards you, but you picked it up and took some out with your spoon and drizzled it on top of your food, which Sunhwa liked to see.

                “Why can’t you have manners like your girlfriend?” Sunhwa joked, and Daehyun stopped chewing for a second and looked embarrassed, but not enough to stop eating.

                “Because I’m hungry, and manners are for the weak and civilized. I, am neither.” Daehyun said, grinning as he took another bite of pesto smothered chicken. You were just starting on your corn and Sunhwa was alternating between fruits and veggies. “Also, how can I not want to eat this all as fast as I can? It’s delicious and if you have more, would you mind if we took it along with us?” Daehyun asked, and Sunhwa shrugged her shoulders.

                “How will you heat it up?” she asked, and Daehyun shrugged again.

                “We’ll figure it out. I’ll figure it out. I always have for the most part.” Daehyun said, and then the air was tense. You weren’t thinking about how after you were done eating, it was on the road again, and that made you eat a little slower, and Sunhwa watched on with sad eyes as Daehyun did as well, now taking his time to chew and he moved the corn around on his plate with his fork.

                “Do you want me to shuck it?” she asked, and Daehyun pushed his plate towards her, his head turned down and now he wasn’t looking too strong. Sunhwa scraped it off the cob and onto his plate, and she even got up and went back into the house and brought out a tub of butter and put some extra onto it. Daehyun looked content and Sunhwa knew what he was missing, and shortly she returned with more pepper and she prepared it all for him, and Daehyun, more than you now, looked so broken at the realization of his words.

                “Is it too much to ask to take a few things of yours along with us? Like, meat?” Daehyun asked, and Sunhwa sighed.

                “That’s not a good idea. Meat spoils Daehyun. You can’t bring it with you. I’d give you frozen stuff but once it thaws it’ll go bad. You’re going to have to go without until you can stop somewhere and eat again. There’s some good beef places about three days away walking, and I’ll give you the address.” she told him, and Daehyun slammed down his fork and knife life a child with a perplexed looked on his face.

                “Three days?” he whined, and Sunhwa looked to your for help, and you placed your hand on his knee and rubbed it. He seemed to calm down, but only a little. His face was red and his lower lip was trembling and he looked like he was going to cry. Realizing that he had been out here in this same position before made it all make sense, but it was still hard to watch. Three days was a long time without any sort of sustainable food, and Daehyun looked at some of the peaches that Sunhwa had moved off to the side of the table. “Can we at least take some fruit?” he asked, and Sunhwa nodded.

                “You’ll have to eat it quickly. No more than two days, and I’d eat them sooner so they don’t get bruised. Daehyun, you know this.”

                He nodded, but it was feeble. He was done now, and with that, he seemed to push his plate away and place his hands in his lap. He hadn’t gone back for seconds even though he was eager earlier, but now, his eyes were shining.

                “I’m ready to leave now.” he said, but to no one in particular. He was talking to himself, but Sunhwa got the message. She stood and you did as well, walking back inside to grab your bags and you were quick to return to his side where he still sat, his body quivering, but his face was blank. He was scared to even stand, and you had to grab his hand and guide him to his feet and help him put on his backpack like he was a kid going off to his first day of school. Sunhwa now spoke to you.

                “Here are the peaches. Like I said, eat them quickly. I can’t offer you much more because everything I cook with will spoil. Here’s the address as well. This road goes on for miles, and you’ll hit a small town about tomorrow evening if you keep at a steady pace and sleep for about two hours. I know it’s hard, but you’ll make it through.” she said, and the last part, she was looking at Daehyun, whose eyes were plastered to the ground. He needed to look at it to stay grounded himself.

                “Come on Daehyun, let’s get going. Sunhwa, thank you for your generosity. We’ll be back eventually.” you said to her. You never let her words slip your mind. She nodded though and waved you off. Walking with Daehyun was a challenge since he was dragging his feet, but you were on the main road again and the sun was high, but there was a light breeze. It was the essence of spring and the grass to the sides of the road waved like in the movies, but Daehyun wasn’t watching any of it.

                “Head up Daehyun. It’s nice out. Smile. When you’re not smiling, the sun might as well not be shining. It’s only three days.” you said as to try to comfort him, but he squeezed your hand. “Hey, remember the time we were both strapped for cash and we had to eat rice for about a week straight? That was pretty bad, but we made it through. And, we have peaches and a couple of other things in the backpacks. We’ll be fine. Sunhwa said there’s a small town about a day away, so there, we can rest up and eat up as well. Don’t be sad.” you said to him, and he sighed out.

                “I’m not even sad. I’m just… I was feeling at home again and I forgot how nice it was to have a meal that big. Before my mom and I started arguing with each other nonstop, we actually were like a normal mother and son. She’d cook big meals for me and my family when we had the money, and that’s why I always say I want a wife who can cook nine traditional side dishes. I want to be reminded of my actual home. Korea.” Daehyun confided in you, and you looked to him and he was glancing at you with just his eyes. His head was still down.

                “Do you think we could go back one day on a trip? We can visit your home and I can meet your family.” you asked him, and this time, he did crack a smile.

                “What about yours?” he asked before answering your proposition, and you shook your head.

                “This isn’t about me right now. If you’re serious about this… about us, then tell me. Would you bring me home to your family?” you asked him again, and your face was tinted with a light blush. Daehyun, on the other hand, was cherry red. He was grinning from ear to ear and he nodded, and he looked at you. There was a sparkle in his eyes and you knew this was love.

                “I’d absolutely bring you home. I think my parents would really like you. They’d especially thank you for taking care of me, even though every time I’ve talked about them it’s been in a negative fashion. I think they sent me here to the states because they wanted me to learn what life was like on my own, but, I don’t think they need to know about life before you.” he said, and you meekly nodded to him. He went to speak again, but he started coughing, and it took him some time before he stopped.

                “Are you sure you’re okay? You might be getting sick.” you asked him, but he waved you off.

                “It’s probably just allergies for the last time. It’s spring.” he dismissed, but you clapped him on the back to help him dislodge some more phlegm in his body. He coughed more again and hacked up some snot and spat it off to the side, looking disgusted with himself. “It’s going to pass. We packed some medication, right?” he asked, and you smiled at him.

                “Only because you asked me too.” you replied, and you slung the backpack off of your shoulders and brought it to where it was in front of you. You wanted to stop, but Daehyun kept on walking as you rummaged around inside and pulled out a few things here and there and had him hold them. You knew it was in your bag because you didn’t trust him with drugs. You had your reasons, even before you learned about how he reacted on a bad trip. Nothing you had could make him like that, but you didn’t want him to be in a dark place and… you didn’t want to think about it.

                You reached in and heard the rattle of pills and you grabbed the bag it was in and pulled it out. It was stuffed to the brim with everything from headache medicine to anti-nausea and even period relief. You sighed out a little when you saw that bottle. Being on the streets with a period must be terrible. You’d have to deal with it, and you had before in the past with Daehyun, and he always made sure to tread lightly, but he was extra kind and kissed you always more than once.

                “Allergens or cold?” you asked, and he sniffled.

                “Allergens please. Will it make me sleepy?” he asked, and you nodded. He sniffled again and crinkled up his nose. “If I start nodding off can you carry me?”

                You laughed at him and he just smiled.

                The wind whipped his hair around and you wanted to sit in a field with him again and run your hands through it. He looked so nice when he was showered and clean, and even when he wasn’t, he had a rugged handsomeness. He was always appealing no matter his condition, and you wished you had the strength to carry him around when he fell asleep like he had the night before with you. He must have been so gentle as to not wake you up.

                “When we go to sleep tonight, I want you to know that I’m going to hold you extra close, because I have an idea of where to go.” he said, and you looked over to him.

                “Where?” you asked, and he seemed to look off down the road and his eyes grew wide as to take in as much as he could.

                “There’s a truck stop, and I think we’ll sleep in the women’s restroom. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that they pose less of a threat, and I’m not meaning to stereotype, even though I think that’s a good one.”

                “It is.” you assured him, and he nodded, but he was still looking forwards.

                “I remember the time I walked in and there was one lone lady in there and she just looked at me and told me I looked rough. She was the picturesque trucker woman. She was wearing plaid with the sleeves cut off and had tattoos up and down her arm and you could see she hadn’t shaved under her denim jacket. She was pretty though. She had flawless red lipstick for three in the morning. That is, until she gave me a $100, laid me down and she… she didn’t me. She treated me well.” Daehyun said, and he swallowed. He brought his arms close to his body and his face was red.

                “If you want to tell me anything, you can, and I won’t judge.” you told him, and he swallowed again.

                “I know, but, I don’t want you to be mad at me.” he said, and you looked to him and ran your thumb over his knuckles.

                “Why would I be mad?”

                “Because she was someone… who I thought I fell in love with. And I don’t want you to be mad that I’ve maybe loved someone before you.” Daehyun choked out, but you shrugged.

                “You’re with me now, so what’s the harm?” you asked, and Daehyun took that as an invitation to spill more of his past.

                “I got into her truck with her, and she brought me to a diner. I think it was something called Waffle House with a bunch of other truckers, and they all seemed to take me in for maybe a week or two before I felt bad for loitering. They would feed me, and I didn’t have to pay. The girl who took me in… Natasha. She was something. She was someone who I could look up to and she was the closest thing to love I found. She smoked, and I can remember when she kissed me it tasted of nicotine and coffee. Straight black. She needed to be awake more than me.” Daehyun relayed, and you nodded along as you listened.

                “Am I boring?” you asked him, and without missing a beat, he turned to look at you.

“Never. I watched you from afar because I thought you were interesting. I always looked up to you as I looked up to her, and the way your bare face on some days seemed to radiate more than the days you spruced yourself up… our first kiss tasted like absolute bliss and a smoothie, and I wanted it to last forever.”

                “You’re very serious about forever.” you said to him, and he nodded.

                “Because forever is a very serious thing. I’ve never felt more at peace with someone than I have with you. I understand I’m high maintenance and the words I say are heavy, but I haven’t really had a lot of soft and kind interactions with people, so when they show me those feelings, I fall in love easily. I guess I’m trying to say that I think you’re pretty great, and that you’re someone who I don’t want to lose. Hell, I’d seek you out and I’d pay you to have with me.” Daehyun joked, but it made him uneasy. You saw him try to look at you, but he just couldn’t seem to bring himself to after his comment.

                “Well, be glad you don’t have to. You just have to say the word and hope I’m in the mood and I’ll be all for it.” you told him, and Daehyun rubbed at the nape of his neck.

                “I’ve been thinking we could do it when he get to the rest stop. I’ve been kind of… feeling it since last night in the field and I’ve had to suppress a lot of thoughts recently because I know that ing on a tile floor or on the dirt isn’t exactly ideal, and last night I didn’t want to wake you up. I tried in the bath but you said no.” Daehyun said, and you nodded and now, it was your turn to look dead ahead.

                “I think we can arrange something. I wouldn’t want you to go without for too long. I mean, I also want you, but I’m just more of an in the moment person. If you manage to turn a women’s rest stop into a romantic setting you’ll get lucky.” you said, and Daehyun blushed and looked down the road as well.

                “I’m lucky enough because I have you.” Daehyun replied, and he stopped walking. He stopped and you were jerked back a little because you had kept walking and didn’t notice, but as you fell back, Daehyun caught you in his arms and held onto you for a couple of seconds, just breathing in your scent and his hands trembled against your back. His heart was beating furiously and you could feel it against your chest as well as hear it in your ear when he set his head into the crook of you neck. You could see the vein that was right below his ear pulse with the rate of his heart, and he just held you. He needed a moment to be thankful you were with him. “I really must be the luckiest man alive.”

                “Your standards are really low.”

                “Maybe they are, but I don’t think that matters, because I love you, and I have you with me. I love you. I really do. I’ll say it as many times as I need to. I’ll say it for every star we’ll lay under and I probably think it at least four or five times every couple of minutes.” Daehyun said, and now, not only his face was red, but so were his ears and his whole body. His hands were sweating and he ran them through your hair and breathed in again. “I love you.”

                You stood there, and you could feel your throat constrict as he hugged you tighter, and you were on the verge of tears. He sounded so sincere, and you brought your arms up to wrap them around his waist and you hadn’t ever felt closer to him in your time together. You weren’t too far down the road from Sunhwa’s house, and you could see it in the distance still, but it was small. If only she could see you now and hear him, she’d change her mind about your relationship. Daehyun was loyal and no matter if you put out or couldn’t cook or whatever, he’d stay by your side, and that was assuring.

                He let go of you after about a minute, but you held on. Daehyun laughed a little and tried to push you off, but this time around, you wouldn’t let him go.

                “Let’s stay like this for a while.” you suggested, and Daehyun’s body was lax for once, and his shakes seemed to have subsided when he embraced you again, and he dragged you down to the grass just by bending his knees, and you knew what he wanted to do. The communication between you and him had gotten a lot smoother, and as you lay down in the spring foliage, flowers around you, he sneezed again and the laughed because it made him hug you tighter and you let out a squeak. He ruffled your hair though and apologized.

                You and he were laying together for God only knows how long, but you watched the clouds with you in his arms, and he kept saying that he loved you which made you warmer than the sun’s own heat. Daehyun was light. He kissed your neck and treated you like you were his most precious treasure. He acted as if you would float away if he let you go, and you weren’t going to let go of him either. Burying your face into the crook of his neck made him smile wide and you felt heat radiate from his cheek.

                “Say you love me again.” you asked to him, and Daehyun smiled against your cheek. He kissed you chastely and let his lips linger. They were chapped, but he had them before so they were at least moist, but you still could feel the cracked skin on your own dry skin.

                “I love you.” Daehyun whispered into your ear, and he laughed when you got goose bumps. It wasn’t enough though.

                “Say it again, but this time, with my name.” you asked, and Daehyun kissed you again. He let go of you and had you lay on your back while he straddled your waist and he had his hands on either side of your head. He looked down into your eyes and he was looking like he was ready to take on the world as he took in a deep inhale, and out muttered your name, but he wasn’t looking you in the eyes anymore. He was embarrassed as he let the rest of the sentence get lost, but you helped him out. “One more time, that’s all I’m asking.”

                “I said I love you…” Daehyun whispered out again, and he could look into your eyes now, and when he did, you reached up and gently cupped his face and brought it towards yours, but you didn’t kiss him. You held him against your body and this time, you gave him the chills as you echoed back his words.

                “Daehyun, I love you.”