The fourth smile

When He Smiles...

“Jackson we don't have that much money to spare so you better not buy anything ridiculous.” Sophie reminded him as they made their way to their favourite grocery store.

“But Sophie! A man’s gotta eat!” Jackson argued.

“Hah!” Sophie exclaimed incredulously as she zipped up her sweater. “Jackson you could hardly be classified as a man.

He stopped walking and tugged at her arm. “You know I can show it to you.”

She made to gag and shuddered in disgust. “Don’t be disgusting! I don't mean it like that! You’re just a little boy I cook for every night. That’s it.” She said before tapping his shoulder with a grin on her face. “Don't worry. I’m sure someone special will consider you their man one day.”

She continued walking, leaving Jackson somewhat speechless, and a little bit hurt. He wasn’t sure why it hurt, but what she had said left him a little disappointed inside. He shook his head, feeling slightly ridiculous. Why should he be hurt? It wasn’t the first time she had called him a little boy. Deciding that it was the cold weather playing with his mind, he quickened his pace and traced her footsteps.

“Will you hurry up?” She beckoned him.

“Coming.” He said with a grin, because apart from politeness, hurt was another thing that did not go well with him. He was what he’d like to call himself ‘happy-go-lucky’, living as the day go by without a worry in the world. He didn't care what other people thought of him, least of all Sophie. He still remembered the first day he had met her.

He was at the coffeehouse that one night, enquiring about rooms for rent, begging people to take him in when he saw her. As if they had been fated to live together, she had heard his plea for help and had immediately offered her place. She was wearing a look of utter desperation, and without a second thought, he took her offer, and life had never been better.

Yes, she nagged him all the time about keeping the apartment clean, washing the dishes, and doing laundry, but he let her nag, because she was a great cook. He just had to say what he felt like eating, and it would be served the next day.  Which reminded him...

“Where’s my apple pie?” He asked her as they walked into the store.

“What apple pie?” She said absentmindedly as she pushed the trolley, her eyes scanning the on-sale items.

“You promised me like a gazillion week ago that you’d make me apple pie if we study.” Jackson pointed.

“Just so you know, a gazillion week ago, you weren’t even born. Second of all, you didn't even teach me anything!” She exclaimed, grabbing a carton of orange juice.

“I did too!” Jackson half-cried. “Aww c’mon Sophie. You can’t just throw it in the air and not make it. You know how terrible my cravings are.”

Sophie emitted a tiny laugh and shook her head. “Ok, ok. Fine. Let’s go grab some apples.”

“Yes! Thank you! I love you!” And he did. Because she was going to make him his favourite dessert. Nothing more... At least that was what he told himself.

They made their way to the fresh fruit section, Sophie laughing at a joke Jackson was telling. She was well aware of the fact that they looked very much like a couple, but that didn't bother her one bit. She was comfortable with him, and she wasn’t going to hide that. She loved how he always managed to put a smile on her face, to brighten up her day when things didn't go according to plan. But she never thought romantically of him. And besides, she had always wanted a little brother...

“Isn’t that JB?” He asked, startling her out of thought.

Her hand stopped midway from reaching for the bright green apple, and she looked up so quickly that she was sure her neck almost snapped. Sure enough, it was JB, with another girl, one that he seemed to enjoy the company of. Who was that?

“I don't know who that is, if that’s what you’re wondering.” Jackson said as if reading her thoughts.

She tore her eyes away, trying not to reveal how upset she actually felt. “Yeah. Me neither. C’mon let’s go.”

“Go where? I have to go greet him.”

“What? Why?”

“Sophie I can’t just pretend I didn't see him. He’s my friend.”

Sophie huffed. “Fine. You go. I’m going to continue shopping.”

In truth, she just wanted to run and hide. Quickly, she pushed the trolley out of sight and hid in a nearby aisle. She took in a shaky breath and closed her eyes. What the hell was she feeling? Why was she so upset? It wasn’t as if JB was exclusively hers. He could date whoever he wanted, and it didn't necessarily have to be her. But then again, didn't he tell her a few weeks ago that he was glad she was still single?

Feeling confused, she shook her head again. Not a moment later, she heard Jackson’s voice getting louder, and he was not alone. She glanced around and cursed under her breath. She was standing right in the middle of candy aisle, the one aisle Jackson would not miss every time they come to the store. She tried to scramble but Jackson was already fast approaching, JB and the girl in tow.

Jackson raised his eyebrow at her. How was he supposed to know she would be hiding in this aisle out of all places? “I thought you said no junk food.”

She merely smiled at him before her eyes caught JB. He waved as he smiled at her and her cheeks reddened maddeningly.

“Annyeong nuna.”

The girl behind him greeted as well, and gave a polite bow. Jackson grinned as he placed his favourite snack into the trolley, grabbing the opportunity that had been given to him on a silver platter.   

“Uhh hi.” Sophie said awkwardly. “I’m sorry. Jackson and I have to go. We have a lot more shopping to do.” She continued before grabbing his arm. “C’mon, let’s go.”

“Sophie, you are so incredibly jealous you know that?” Jackson asked when they were far enough.

“Shut up. I don't want to talk about it.” Sophie said as she scanned her checklist.

“You should really hear what he has to say.”

“Jackson, I told you I don't want to talk about it.”

“Ok fine. Let’s talk about something else. What do you see in him?” Jackson asked, crossing his arms.

She stopped pushing her trolley and peered at him. “What?”

“Yeah yeah. I mean, ok he has a great smile and all but other than that, he’s pretty normal. And have you seen his eyes? They’re like practically not there!” Jackson said loudly.

“Are you saying he has small eyes? Isn’t that like a Korean thing? Besides, I like it. It suits him. But it doesn’t matter anyway. He has a girlfriend.” Sophie said, ending her sentence somewhat sadly. Maybe that was who the girl was. His girlfriend...

“Nuna!” JB suddenly called her from behind. She turned just as he approached them. He looked at Jackson and placed a hand on his arm.

“Can you keep her company? I need to talk to nuna for a while.” He said. Not giving Jackson the chance to reply, he shoved him away, leaving the two of them alone.

“JB...”

“Nuna, will you go out with me this Saturday?” He asked abruptly.

Sophie’s jaw dropped in surprise and all of a sudden, she forgot how to breathe. She wasn’t expecting that to come out of his mouth at all. She rapidly blinked, wondering if she was dreaming it all.

But he remained standing in front of her, his beautiful smile intact.

She looked away, the small little voice in her head reminding her that too much excitement might freak him out. So she grinned as widely as she could before a certain thought crept in.

“But that girl...”

“Was my cousin. That girl was my cousin.” He interrupted her.

She almost shouted in joy but managed to swallow her scream just in time. She nodded her head, letting out a small, giddy laugh. She was going on a date with JB! 

“Erm... okay then. I’ll see you Saturday.” She said. She wished he would hurry up and walk away, so she could do her happy dance and scream like a little girl.

“Great, I’ll come by around 11 to pick you up.” He said, happiness evident on his face. He leaned in then, whispering softly in her ear. “I can’t wait.”

And she screamed just a little bit. 


Chapter Posted on: Feb. 9. 2014

Yeay! Another chapter! And OMG! My subscribers doubled over 1 chapter! Thank you thank you to everyone who subscribed! I love you guys! I hope you all like this chapter! Don't forget to tell me what you think! ^^