My Lady

Queen

I was staring out the window in my room overlooking the flower garden and green fields in the back of the palace, watching the swans play in the lake about 20 meters away when Lady Marie, a wise, soft-spoken woman in her mid-forties whom I'd grown up with, came into the bedroom and bowed formally before speaking.

 "Your Majesty," she began softly, " Prince Jae is here to see you. He wishes to dine with you."

I turned my head sideways while still facing the window and smiled politely but not entirely whole-heartedly and said, "Oh yeah? Guess I should go say hi then."

 Turning on the tall heels of my riding boots, I followed Marie out of the bedroom but not before zipping up a blue hoodie over my white tank top.

In the huge lounge underneath the stairs and balcony on the first floor, I met up with an Asian man barely 6'2" and dressed in a tux. I looked at him and then at my jeans and riding boots and hoodie and smiled weakly.

 "Her Majesty the Queen, Your Highness," Lady Marie said and Jae stood and bowed, smiling kind-heartedly, his left hand behind his back.

 "Hi. How are you?" I asked informally as I picked up a thick stubborn clump of stray black hair from hanging in front of my face and flipped it back over my head.

 "You're hair is really long now, Nallina. Why don't you put it up in a pony tail or something?" Jae asked watching me curiously.

 I shrugged and moved past him to sit on the couch. "Too lazy, I guess," I said and plopped onto fine foreign swede.

A maid stood next to the window in her black and white uniform and waited with her hands clasped lightly together in front of her. She didn't look at us directly. Her job was to stand there, literally, until I wanted something. Then she'd go get it, bring it back, and go back to standing there.

 I hated that. I'd gotten used to it, though.

 "I'm sorry about the sudden stop by, but I hadn't seen you in ages and so I flew over just to say hi," Jae said presenting flowers to me from behind his back.

 "I'm not much of a flower-lover, Jae. But thanks anyway," I said and the maid took them from him without a word and went to go put them in some water.

 Prince Jae of the Royal Family over the country of Gyurio smiled and sat next to me on the couch.

 I could tell he had the biggest crush on me. It was just a little unsettling.

 Jae's not ugly. He's really attractive, much like the Kpop stars are. Jet black hair and the brightest brown eyes ever. Nice jaw line and high cheek bones, almond shaped eyes. I just wasn't into him like that. As the Queen of the peninsula empire of Shiloh, I had too much to do to be courting Royalty.

 I came into power at the age of 11 when my parents died in a plane crash. That was 10 years ago and I still haven't grasped the entire concept of "Queen". I'd rather go paint or play in the woods than sit through conferences and go to balls and birthday parties.

 I sit in my 50,000 square foot palace and try to fix my country's problems. I don't have any siblings. It's kind of sad.