Chapter 4

Nothing More,Nothing Less

"So you dropped out of college?"Luhan asked with his hands behind his back.

After the slightly awkward meeting,we decided to take a stroll around the campus before we leave.I fidgeted with my hands,not knowing what to do with them.

"Yeah..financial problems,"I lied.

Luhan chuckled,"You work at a convenience store."

I found myself taken aback with his sudden reply.He did make a point.I slapped myself internally for making up such a pointless lie.However I never wanted him to know the real reason I dropped out of college.That would be social suicide and totally embarrassing.

"..Anyway,I just can't go to college.There's just some issues." I solemnly replied him.Just then,I heard my phone ring.Glancing towards Luhan who told me to take the call,I excused myself politely.

I looked at the caller ID and froze.Oh no,of all times,I thought.The one time this jerk decided to call.Luhan noticed  me standing rooted to the ground,thus asked,"What's wrong?It's okay,just take it."

I hesitated,"No..it's not that.It's.."

Luhan peeked at the caller ID,also surprised.I slightly gave him an apologetic look,afterwards turning my back on him to hesitantly take the call.

"H-Hello?"

"It's me.What took you so long to pick up the call?It's a boy,isn't it?You're with a boy now,isn't it?"The other line asked,voice getting louder.

"..Yeah,sorry about that.It's just my-" I paused to glance over at Luhan again before continuing my call,"-my high-school friend.Just,a friend.""Really?Hmm..should I come over tonight?You haven't had dinner yet,did you?" The other line asked again,purposely trying to speak louder in order to offend Luhan. I exploded,"Why would you come?I'm fine without dinner.I'll just get some ramen on my way home!Hang up,yah!" I ended the call before he could answer.

Once again,I awkwardly glanced towards Luhan,who gave a small grin and pretending he didn't hear anything when he clearly did."Sorry about that.That was my-"I paused,cautiously minding my words,"-actually it's kind of hard to say."

"Oh..boyfriend?You two seemed to be close over the phone."

"It's not my boyfriend."I abruptly replied."It's just..someone.You don't need to know."I lowered my head slightly,avoiding eye contact.

I could hear Luhan sigh.He rolled his eyes and folded his arms.

"Choi Dana.You're still the same even after we graduated."

Surprised,I looked up,our faces with a mere distance of 30cm."What do you mean..?"

"After all of these years,have you been cooping up your feelings inside?Am I not trustworthy?Did I or did I not help you regain your talents?Did I or did I not rescue you in times of danger?Was I not..your first kiss?" He ranted towards me.

"Why are you always like this?Is it because I wasn't with you?Am I need in your life or something?I..no,we can't be like this anymore.We used to be  so much more bonded last time.Now,you're even lying to me.What changed you,Choi Dana?"

"..What about you?"I quietly sounded,holding back my anger."You say I've changed,but does that mean you stayed the same?Out of nowhere,you stopped calling me.You stopped doing everything with me.And out of nowhere,you got into college and..got yourself a girlfriend.I kept my feelings bottled up inside because I used to trust you.Why do you think I'm lying to you?You suddenly left me."

"Choi Dana-"

"I sometimes wonder what in the world's wrong with me.You took my first kiss,you rescued me,you helped me.But,what's this?Is this what normal friends do?We're not even boyfriend and girlfriend,so why was I so hurt when you stopped doing everything with me?Why was I so hurt..when I saw your girlfriend?Why..did you make me like this?" I started to tear up,biting my lips out of frustration.

"I..can honestly say I don't know.I don't even know what happened to us.But Dana,I can make things change,okay?I'll hang out with you again.I'll make you smile,okay?So things don't change.I'll even break up with Meili."Luhan concluded,as he brought out his hand to wipe my tears.

I pushed his hand away."What?You'll break up with Meili?Do you think I'm that easy?You really are cruel.Yeah,that might work on other girls but me?I don't like being a rebound,especially for someone like you.Just how shallow are you,Luhan?Both of us might have changed,but at least I live my life seriously.Meilli doesn't deserve you."At the last sentence,I wiped my own tears as I angrily walked away,not even looking back.

 

As I reached home,I looked around the house.The lights were surprisingly lit,and noises from the kitchen could be heard.I sighed as I entered the kitchen,leaning against the wall.

"I thought I said you didn't need to come."
"Actually,I was already here when I called you.Convenient,no?Now what do you prefer,pasta or rice?"He annoyingly asked,trying his dish.
"Ah this jerk,seriously.Woohyun,I said I'm fine!Pasta,more sauce."
"Look,I'm doing this for you because your birthday's coming up.At least thank me for cooking this dish."Woohyun pouted as he placed the dish on a nice plate,garnishing it off with some parsley.
"We were born on the same day."

"Can you just shut up and let me be nice?"He finally exploded in frustration,almost dropping the hot dish.

"Psh,"I scoffed,"What is that?"

"Steak and Pasta with Black Pepper Sauce.A certain school somewhere served this to their students.Apparently,it's a hit.Plus,it's steak!"

I took a bite,noming down on the food."But this is chicken."

"It's a 'different' type of steak.Don't judge me.I may have a crush on you,but I have financial limits." Woohyun playfully smiled,looking at me eat.

Generously,I gave him a grin."Woohyun,look-"

"Please,just let me at least try.I know there's definitely a way I can get into your heart.I don't care whether this is one-sided,I just..want to make you happy."He smiled as he wiped off the sauce stain on the corners of my mouth.

I cleared my throat."I..saw Luhan today."As I told him that,I quietly took another bite of the steak.

I could hear Woohyun's sigh."You're really clumsy."He once again placed his fingers on the corner of my lips,wiping the sauce away.Just then,our eyes interlocked.We took seconds to stare into each other's eyes.

"Damn,"he said,"I really want to kiss you."

He leaned in for a kiss,as I accepted.

This,was exactly what Luhan was not supposed to know.