VII.

Of Duties and By-Laws

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you."
 

 

Roger Ebert

 

 

 

 

 

VII.

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone waited for Jessica and Sunny inside the con room. Taeyeon was reading an old novel. Tiffany sat beside her but she never said anything to anyone since she got in the headquarters. The other two inspectors were playing with a Rubik’s' cube. Sooyoung was also helping them since the two couldn't figure how to do it.

 

"Do you think he'll kill again soon?" Hyoyeon asked amidst the silence.

 

Tiffany stared at her. Taeyeon closed her book and thought.

 

"It's too early to tell. If he follows his pattern, he won't until next week. But if he doesn't, then maybe yes." The psychologist deducted.

 

Jessica came in afterwards. The staff anticipated for a good news when they all focused on what she was about to say. "Agent Lee has already motioned the subpoena for the security cameras for the ER department of the hospital. But, we may not get it until later tonight. Until then, we won't have anything to do but wait."

 

Everyone was deflated. There would be nothing but desks and paper works until then. Tiffany gave Jessica a reassuring look and somehow it made her best friend feel a bit relieved.

 

"Hey is that a Rubik’s'? The captain asked when she saw the colored box atop the table.

 

Yuri nodded. "Yeah, do you know how to do it?" She lifted the cube.

 

"Well," Jessica reached over. "I had a 38-second record for this." She started moving each row and it was amazingly fast. Everyone was amused when she got it done in a matter of seconds. She smiled widely at the praises.

 

"You're good, Captain." Sooyoung commended with a grin.

 

"Thanks." The brunette faced Taeyeon. "Taeyeon, can you beat that?" She smirked.

 

The silent girl took the Rubik’s cube and before anyone could react, she was already done. Everyone's jaw dropped when she shyly pushed the box on the middle of the table.

 

"I should've known better than asking you." Jessica sighed. "I hate you, do you know that?"

 

“I finished in more than twenty seconds. You know, Mats Valk of the Netherlands holds a record of 5.55 seconds at the 2013 Zonhoven Open. ”

 

The rest of the people inside the con room laughed before leaving. "Okay whatever, smarty pants. You might need more practice, Captain." Hyoyeon giggled when she patted the brunette's shoulder.

 

They all went out except for Tiffany and Taeyeon. Even if she fight it, she can't help herself from chuckling at how Taeyeon mercilessly slayed Jessica.

 

"You're laughing too?" The shorter woman pouted.

 

The former wiped her eyes. "Being normal helps sometimes, Dr Kim." She smiled at Taeyeon.

 

"I am completely normal, Inspector, thank you." Taeyeon rebutted.

 

There was silence after that and Tiffany couldn't handle her curiosity. She saw how comfortable Jessica and Taeyeon's gazes were. If Taeyeon wouldn't open up voluntarily, she needed to ask her directly. She knew she had no right but she had to know. The earlier she knows, the better for her heart. "You seem to like her a lot." She remarked quietly.

 

"Who?" She opened her book but faced Tiffany again when she heard the question.

 

"Jess." She said, looking away.

 

"Oh." She got back to her reading.

 

There was a small smile on Taeyeon's face. And Tiffany could see how her face lit up when she mentioned Jessica's name. It was annoying and frustrating to realize that she was actually hurt.

 

"She's really nice." Taeyeon added. "She was the first person aside from my friends who asked me to just drop the formalities. I know, this is weird. Me, liking a girl, I mean." Her cheeks turned red.

 

"I understand, trust me. I really do." Tiffany exhaled. She didn't know but all of a sudden, she just wanted to cry. "Baseball."

 

"What?"

 

"Jessica loves watching baseball. There would be game this weekend." She muttered albeit the sting in her heart. "You might want to ask her out." She took her bag and she headed for the door.

 

"Tiffany?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Thank you." Taeyeon made it a note that she had to pull some baseball strings to get Jessica some tickets this coming weekend.

 

It was then when Tiffany turned around. "Sure. Come on, we're partners." And it actually stung to pretend.

 

 

****

 

 

"Hey buddy, are you okay there?" Hyoyeon offered Tiffany a cup of coffee when she leaned over the inspector's desk's divider.

 

As much as she loved caffeine, she had to refuse. "I'm fine." Tiffany looked at her computer screen.

 

"You don't look like it." The blonde persisted.

 

Heaving a sigh, Tiffany looked up to her obviously worried friend. She was always sure of everything in her life. She never decides in a spur of a moment. She never goes into something without any protection. But when she met Taeyeon, everything became unsure. And without any assurance that Taeyeon would feel the same, her heart just started beating for her. "If," She stopped.

 

"What?"

 

"If the person you like a lot; or you love, whatever," Tiffany sighed. "Likes someone else, is it the right thing to let that person go?”

 

Hyoyeon pulled a chair and sat next to her friend. “Is this about Taeyeon?”

 

“What? No!” Tiffany turned the monitor of her computer off. She ran her hand through her copper dyed hair.

 

“Come on, Taeyeon asked me what baseball game would be up this weekend. We all knew that it was only you and Jessica who liked that game.” She paused. “You told her, right? Why do that?”

 

“She likes Jessi.” With a soft voice, Tiffany confessed.

 

“You like her.” And like a needle, Hyoyeon’s words punctured Tiffany’s heart.

 

“Don’t remind me.” She bit the side of her cheek. “I can’t even talk to my best friend about this.”

 

The blonde chuckled lightly. “Aigoo, what can I say? I don’t know, really. You did the right thing if I will look at Jessica and Taeyeon’s point but in yours, you’re a martyr!”

 

“You. Are. Not. Helping.” Tiffany tapped the pen on her desk.

 

“Sorry.” Hyoyeon replied. “Everything’s gonna be alright.”

 

“I hope so. I want to forget about this for a while.” Tiffany pushed her chair and swirled around. She looked at the ceiling and bore holes on it. Go with the flow, Tiff.

 

 

****

 

 

"Hey, Jess." Tiffany closed the door behind her. She cracked a stiff smile before sitting down. "What's up?"

 

The brunette looked up. She blinked to give her strained eyes a rest. "Hey." There was a look of question on her best friend's face that she had to giggle. "I just missed you. We never get to talk."

 

"Yeah." The other woman's voice softened. "Part of the job." She clicked her tongue.

 

"So, how are you?"

 

"What?"

 

Jessica's brows shot up. She was anticipating for more. They were best friends after all. "Are you okay? You've been acting odd lately."

 

Tiffany shook her head. She knew this would come. "I'm fine."

 

"And?" The brunette sighed. "Oh come on. Tell me. We've been missing out on each other Tiff." Tiffany had been her best friend and her sister since high school. She noticed a lot of things and it hurt her to see Tiffany distancing herself from her.

 

"I am trying to move on." The woman then said, feeling guilty for keeping things from Jessica.

 

"Well that's good, right?" Jessica nodded. "Because if you became worse, I am so ready to pull a trigger at that jerk."

 

Tiffany chuckled. Yes, she really missed out on Jessica. "But, uh, a person is involved."

 

The captain's eyes opened widely. "Really?" She lightly scratched her chin. "So tell me about this person."

 

"Can I keep this one from you? It's really weird right now. I still have to sort things out." She looked at the woman apologetically. Of course, she couldn't tell Jessica just yet. Not when she's part of the circle and not when they were still working with NIS.

 

"But promise me we'll discuss this over coffee?"

 

"I promise."

 

The brunette grinned. "Anyway, some people needed your help."

 

"Help?" Tiffany asked. "For what?"

 

"You need your gun, Tiffany."

 

 

 

****

 

 

“You asked for me?” Coyly, Taeyeon peeped through the half opened door of the young Captain’s office.

 

The brunette smiled and waved her in. “Yes. It was you who texted me you needed to tell me something.”

 

“Oh, right.” Taeyeon opened the door entirely and bowed her head. She was sure nervous about the thing she needed to ask Jessica. “This Sunday, there will be a game between LG Twins and Samsung Lions.”

 

Jessica’s ears perked up. Her eyes sparkled in excitement. “Baseball?”

 

The short woman nodded. “Are you free by then?”

 

“Are you asking me out on a date, Taeyeon?” Jessica asked playfully.

 

“I was just-”

 

The captain giggled. “Consider it a sure-go.”

 

"Sorry to bother you, Captain, Dr Kim." Assistant Inspector Heechul pushed the door, cutting the two women's conversation. The man was panting and was obviously in a hurry.

 

The brunette tilted her head at the side with a questioning expression. Taeyeon had the same look.

 

"Bad news." He shook his head. "Another body was found thirty minutes ago by the victim's neighbors. And-"

 

"And?"

 

"She was 24 years old. She was positioned just like our two other victims: Ahn Sohee and Park Soyu."

 

Taeyeon stood up. "He killed again? Why?" She looked back at Jessica. "It's not even a whole week yet."

 

The other woman did the same, standing up. She folded all her folders and put them inside her satchel. "I don't know but we definitely have to see it, Taeyeon." She nodded to the assistant inspector and the man disappeared behind the door.

 

"Okay."

 

The two women came out of the room hastily. Jessica called one of their men in uniforms on the phone and ordered him to not let anyone outside the investigating team touch anything in the crime scene and be vigilant, look for a tanned man among the crowds. The killer might still be with them.

 

While the Captain was busy talking, Taeyeon eyed the whole headquarters for a woman with copper dyed hair. She sure saw her earlier and she needed to come to the crime scene with her. But no Tiffany emerged from the desks. She knew the inspector would like to look at the scene immediately.

 

"Yuri," She asked the other inspector who was busy with her own research of their case. "Where's Tiffany?"

 

"I don't know. I just saw her a while ago. She's not with you?"

 

Taeyeon shook her head.

 

A blonde came in towards them and patted Taeyeon's shoulder. "Mrs Park is here. She wants to talk to you."

 

"I uh," The psychologist grimaced. She had to find Tiffany and go to the crime scene immediately. "Where's Tiffany?"

 

"She's not here with us right now." The Captain said, hanging up her phone. "She was requested by the team sent to the bank robbery two hours ago." She pointed at the television with her chin and the news channel was broadcasting about the current shootout between the cops and the suspects. "So I'll come to with you instead."

 

Taeyeon's grip on her pen tightened as her eyes darted to the screen. There were men in vests and helmets exchanging fires with some other men inside the bank. There were civilians in and out of the scene. The sound of gun shots reverberated in the air. And she didn’t know but her heart constricted at every passing second that she couldn't see Tiffany. "She's what?"

 

"Inspector Kim will talk to you, Mrs Park. We will need Dr Kim to the crime scene. Is that okay?" Taeyeon heard Jessica said To Soyu's mother but she didn't mind. She didn't think of it at all. Her mind focused on the woman she needed to see but couldn't find on the television monitor.

 

"Kwon, you should come too. Taeyeon," The captain tried catching Taeyeon's attention by snapping her finger. "We have to go." The psychologist didn't move a muscle. "Now."

 

 

 

****

 

 

"Look," The driving woman pressed stop at the red light and looked at the rear view mirror. She saw the disappointed and worried look on Taeyeon's face. "I am sorry that I had to give your partner to them. The task force needed her. She's the best we got."

 

"..." She only shifted position to avoid the brunette's eyes.

 

Yuri, who was beside Jessica exhaled. "Stop worrying about her, Taeyeon. She's good at those kinds of encounters."

 

"I am not worried." The short woman stated acidly.

 

"Then why are you acting like this then?" Jessica asked. She stepped on the gas pedal and the car roared to life.

 

"Nothing." She lied. She couldn't believe so herself that she was worried sick about Tiffany. Even if she knew she shouldn’t.

 

"Come on, out with it." Yuri pried. She looked back, not putting down her argument. “You’re worried! You can read others’ minds but you in hiding yours.”

 

And the woman heaved a sigh. “Okay, I am worried. And I am mad. I am upset. I am mad and upset that she didn’t tell me about it. She even told me we’re partners! Carrying a gun alone increases risk of getting shot and killed by 4 times. 4 times! Do you know that?” She raged. “How much more when she engages in a shooting?” She slumped on the chair and crossed her arms.

 

The two other women in the car smiled at each other before setting the atmosphere into a calmer one using silence as a response to Taeyeon.

 

 

****

 

 

“Do you want anything else, Mrs Park?” Hyoyeon asked the woman across her after handing her a glass of water.

 

Mrs Park shook her head. “I am fine.”

 

Another short woman with blonde hair came in. “Good afternoon, Mrs Park. I am Special Agent Lee Soonkyu, one of the officers in charge with the case.” She held out her hand and the woman shook it. “May I?” She gestured for another seat beside her and Mrs Park nodded.

 

“Good afternoon, Agent.”

 

“Sorry we can’t take Taeyeon to you.”

 

“Is there another victim?” The older woman turned away. Nothing of this was easy for her.

 

“That’s what they need to check on the crime scene.”

 

Hyoyeon sighed. “What brought you here, Mrs Park?”

 

“I saw someone.”

 

“Someone?” The two blondes asked simultaneously.

 

“He’s tall and well built. He came to me early this morning while I was having my walk and asked if I was okay. He was really nice.” The woman said, shaking her head. “I would’ve dismissed him if I forgot what those Inspectors told me to do when I met someone out of the ordinary.”

 

“That’s good, Mrs Park.” Sunny encouraged. Her hopes went up. “Do you remember how he looks?”

 

It took the woman a minute to think about that. She closed her eyes for a while trying to recall the man she met. “He wore a cap though.”

 

“But you remember his face?”

 

“I think so?”

 

Sunny stood up and called for the sketch artist the Seoul PD has.

 

“Help us, Mrs Park. An artist will come and try to draw the face of who you saw. Okay?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

The woman nodded.

 

“Okay. We won’t stop until we get him.”

 

 

****

 

 

There were sirens and a lot of people outside the new victim’s house, name it, neighbors, the media, children, curious people. Taeyeon, Yuri and Jessica got out of the car and went straight to the crime scene. Nothing seemed to be changed inside the house. Nothing was taken, so it wasn’t robbery at all. A young woman was seated on a chair, her head leaning on the table. It was definitely the same MO as their killer.

 

“Arsenic.” Assistant Inspector Donghae gloved his hand and pick up the small glass atop the table. “The lab said so.”

 

“Most probably our killer.” Yuri concluded. She stepped closer to look at the face of the woman. “Who is she?”

 

“Let’s see.” The man took out his notebook. “Name’s Shin Eunhae. 24 years old. Newly graduate but was already hired as a college professor in Hongik University.”

 

“How long has she been dead?” Jessica eyed the dining area once more.

 

“Three hours now.”

 

“How did they find her?”

 

“A neighbour was supposed to come over for dinner. The door was open when she knocked. No one saw anyone coming in and out of here earlier though.”

 

“Okay.” Jessica nodded. “There is no sign of forced entry. She wasn’t subdued or anything close to that.”

 

“She let him in.” Taeyeon butted in. She went to the door and tried re-enacting the scene she was thinking about. “The killer came at the most vulnerable time of the day, when everyone’s busy to check out on each other.”

 

“Lunch time?” Yuri inquired.

 

The psychologist nodded.

 

“And since she knew him, she let him in when he knocked. No hesitations. But then, what did they do next?” Jessica scratched her chin. She went to the living room and stilled. “They had a small talk, maybe? Then our victim asked if he wanted anything so they went there.” She pointed at the dining area. “Then how did he introduce the arsenic to her?”

 

“If you’re given a drink that’s not from your own home, would you have taken it?” Yuri asked.

 

Jessica and Taeyeon shook their heads. “He did something else before the arsenic.” Both said in unison. They looked at each other and grinned.

 

“He uses a ruse. We should know that.” The psychologist ran her finger on her forehead.

 

“We make a good team, huh?” Jessica said, humming.

 

“I think so.” Taeyeon smiled. But the thoughts of her partner came in and she couldn’t help but worry again. She peeped through her small bag and found her phone. She took it and frowned. Tiffany didn’t give her any messages.

 

Setting the thought aside, they continued looking around for more evidences that could lead them to the killer.

 

Taeyeon looked thoroughly and found something beneath the trash bin. She squinted at the syringe lying among the crumpled papers, banana peels and empty beer cans. It was out of the ordinary, for sure. “Is she sick?” She asked aloud.

 

“No.” Donghae replied from behind.

 

She lifted her hand, showing what she found. “Then what’s this? This kind of syringe is used to inject insulin.”

 

Everyone was silenced.

 

Jessica sighed. “Take the body to the coroner once we’re done here. And tell them to check everything. Don’t miss a thing. Recheck their reports on the first two victims. We might have missed things.” The captain ordered her subordinates. “Yuri, Taeyeon, let’s go back. We should change the profile. This is again, from zero.”

 

 

To be continued...