IV

Of Duties and By-Laws

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Part IV.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Do you think this is a good idea?" The blonde asked the brunette as she sipped from her cup of green tea.

 

Jessica looked at her questioningly. She closed her laptop, and waited for another word from Sunny.

 

"The team, I mean. Did we choose the right people to be paired with? Choi and Kwon would be argumentative with each other. Kim is very shy and sometimes can be very insensitive while Tiffany loves to so much."

 

A smile appeared on Jessica's face. "I think they are all good. I am sure, Sooyoung could tame Yuri. I can sense it. And Tiffany is good with communicating with people. I am sure Taeyeon is in the right hands."

 

"You can see how Tiffany talks to our Taeyeon.” Sunny said, unsure of the outcome of this case. She was the one who opened the possibility and she felt responsible for whatever future their team held, especially for her friends.

 

“You sound worried.”

 

“I am not worried about Choi that much. I am more worried about Taeyeon, to be honest.”

 

“Why?”

 

Sunny shuffled. “Have you ever talked to her?”

 

Jessica nodded.

 

“And?”

 

“Nothing. I think she’s really nice and smart. She’s shy but there’s nothing to be worried about. The thing is,” She paused, looking straight at Sunny’s eyes.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Tiffany, for all I know is sweet and gentle.”

 

The Agent narrowed her eyes.

 

If there was something Jessica knew well about Tiffany, it’s that she never played jokes on anyone like she did with Taeyeon and it was new to her. She knew Tiffany for years and this was the first time she noticed that attitude of her best friend. “There might something about Taeyeon that made Tiffany act like that.”

 

“And that is?”

 

The Captain shrugged. “That’s what we need to know. For now, let’s hope for the best.”

 

 

****

 

 

“Tiffany.”

 

The woman nearly tripped the whole table when Hyoyeon snapped her out of her deep thoughts. Her pen that twirled over her fingers fell down. She was almost there, to the answer of her question. She had felt different kind of emotions that day.

 

Yuri accused her of crushing on Taeyeon. She felt wary about it but she didn’t know how to actually react. Then, that ice water effect of Taeyeon blushing over Jessica’s touch got her riled up as she sat down on her chair.

 

Taeyeon was just someone who she met a few days ago. She was weird and really unlikeable but sometimes she finds herself smiling because of Taeyeon’s horrible fashion sense, her big, round glasses, and her small fidgety movements. And never did Tiffany like someone close to how odd Taeyeon seemed to be.

 

“Tiffany.”

 

“Yes?” She snapped.

 

The blonde officer circled around their desks to look at Tiffany’s face. “Now, tell me what’s bothering you.”

 

Tiffany shook her head, spinning her swivel chair away from scrutiny. She would never have time for this.

 

“Oh come on. Talk about it before Captain Jung notices.”

 

That piqued her interest. Of course. Jessica would pry if she notices. Heaving a sigh, she went back to facing her friend. “Yuri told me that I like Taeyeon.”

 

Hyoyeon’s brows shot up.

 

“Yes, in that way.”

 

“Oh.” The blonde grinned. “And?”

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes.

 

“We all knew the girls you dated before Nickhun came to your life, Fany.”

 

The other woman bit her lip. Came her cheating ex. She realized all his messages didn’t affect her as much as they did before this case. If she sees his name, her world would stop and her mind would drift to the memories they had together. And then there’s Taeyeon. “I know but,”

 

“But?”

 

“Taeyeon?” She asked. “Seriously?”

 

That made Hyoyeon laugh hard. “Well, she’s smart and,” She paused, propping her chin on her knuckle. “Smart.”

 

Tiffany scoffed.

 

“I remember Youlim. She looked like a drug addict spiced up with creepy emo looks.” The other woman grimaced. “But you dated her.”

 

“That was my rebellious days, Hyo.”

 

“Exactly. You can’t just love a person you deem well-dressed or well-mannered.”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “I am not in love with anyone, okay?”

 

“Let’s see.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

"Her alibi checks in. Taeyeon was right." Sooyoung said as she watched the information flash on the screen of the computer. They checked receipts of Mihyun’sshopping, credit card usage and even calls and messages from friends the night Soyu died. She then looked at the quiet woman beside her.

 

"We're just letting her go. Huh." Yuri scoffed. Ever since the interview she had with Sohee's family, guilt started to eat her up. How and why did they let this case slip through their hands?

 

The agent pulled a chair and sat down quietly. Being with Taeyeon for years taught her how to somehow read people. "You know, I have this one case, I was with this job for two years then." Yuri just gazed at her with knitted brows. "There were series of killings in Incheon. Ten innocent lives were taken." Her breathing became unsteady at the memory. "The killer sent us a message that if the Intelligence stopped working with the local police, he will stop killing."

 

"What did you do?"

 

"We didn't believe him at first. But, we cannot risk more lives so we withdrew from the case. After a week, five more victims were found. He mocked us. We lost five more," She raised her hand. "And three officers in uniform before catching him. We cant always be right with our decisions, Inspector, no matter how long we worked in this service or no matter how wise we are. We can still save lives if we continue with what we started."

 

"..." Yuri gritted her teeth.

 

"Don't blame yourself." She gently patted the woman's arm. "And I am sorry for making you feel that way. It was unprofessional."

 

"We will catch him, right?"

 

Sooyoung nodded with a small smile. "Of course we will." And that was enough to remind Yuri her job and her reasons.

 

“Thanks.” Yuri finally smiled.

 

“Yeah that’s okay. So,” Sooyoung inhaled. “We’re okay? I mean no more tension between us?”

 

The other woman nodded. “Sure, Sooyoung, right?”

 

“Yes, Yuri.”

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

 “Dr Kim.”

 

“Yes?” Taeyeon looked up and saw the woman who made her lips purse. She bowed down, going back to her novel. She didn’t have time for Tiffany’s teasing.

 

“Serious? What’s that?” Tiffany took the small book from Taeyeon’s tight grip. A page ripped off halfway.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. She let the book go. “Fine, you can have it.”

 

“I was just about to look at the cover. If you didn’t pull it, it wouldn’t be torn.” The taller woman explained in a half meant manner. She returned the book grinning.

 

The former didn’t speak a word. Seriously, Tiffany was getting under her skin and it was already irritating. She took the poor novel away from the hands of the woman beside her.

 

“What’s inside your bag?” Tiffany then reached for Taeyeon’s bag to check on it too but Taeyeon held her arm.

 

“No.”

 

“Why not? I’m bored.”

 

Taeyeon harshly stood up and took her bag. This was enough. “Can you please, please, stop? If you’re bored, go out with your friends or your boyfriend, I wouldn’t care. Just leave me alone.” And with all her anger she stomped away, leaving the baffled Tiffany behind.

 

 

 

****

 

 

"Taeyeon?" Jessica knocked the door to the interrogation room. Soyu's ex was behind the glass. He was shaky and anxious. They were just waiting for Tiffany to come and question him.

 

Taeyeon was watching the man. "Hm?" She asked, not turning her head.

 

"The girl's alibi checked in."

 

The psychologist nodded. She bit the side of her cheek. "Don't you have to be somewhere else Captain?"

 

"Jessica." The other woman said, stern. And it made Taeyeon chuckle. "Where should I be?"

 

"Home." Taeyeon turned her head. Jessica already took off her blazer, her white long sleeved blouse accentuated her curves and the fresh look on her face showed her beauty. A smile crept on Taeyeon's face. "It's late." She averted her gaze when she realized she was staring.

 

"I want to check him too." The captain moved closer. And there was silence after wards. She saw the creases on Taeyeon’s forehead and somehow she knew something was different. “Are you okay?”

 

“Can I switch partners?”

 

Jessica blinked. “What? Why?”

 

Taeyeon turned her head. She heaved a sigh. “I don’t think our team could be better.”

 

Jessica tilted her head on one side. She wanted to defend Tiffany even if she didn’t know what really happened. But it wasn't too long when Tiffany came in.

 

"Ready?" She asked and both the two woman nodded silently.

 

 

****

 

She entered the other room and refused to sit down. She chose to use the bad cop figure to scare Jisuk out.

 

"Why am I here?" The man, who was sweating even in the air conditioned room, said.

 

"Park Soyu. She was found dead early yesterday inside her home. It looked like she committed suicide but we don’t believe she did." Tiffany paced back and forth with her arms crossed over her chest. She occasionally glared at the man.

 

She had always been the good cop interrogator in her younger years but having witnessed hundreds of this encounter thought her how to play between the bad cop and the good.

 

Jisuk looked down, but he didn't tell a word. He looked back up after a while. "Is it my fault?" He asked, his voice trembled.

 

"Why don't you tell me?" Tiffany sat down. First question. "What happened between you, Soyu and Mihyun?"

 

“It was a mistake, Inspector. I love Soyu!”

 

Tiffany scoffed. Boys, she thought. “Mihyun said otherwise.”

 

The man ran her fingers on her dark hair. “I was drunk and Mihyun, she just braged in my room then Soyu, Soyu, she thought-” He sniffed.

 

“Soyu broke up with you and then you can’t accept that fact and killed her instead.” Second question is pushing it.

 

“No!”

 

“Then tell me everything!” Tiffany slammed the table. Jisuk hesitantly answered each question with tears in his eyes. His alibi was that he was at work at a bar downtown. He said he hasn't Soyu for three days already. He wanted to get her back but it was all too late. Everything checked in. And they had to let him go.

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

“Tiffany, what did you do this time?” Jessica sat down beside her quiet friend. Her tone was serious. “Taeyeon wanted to switch partners. Everyone wanted to be with you. What happened now?”

 

“Nothing.” She lolled her head back. She closed her eyes. She didn’t mean to push Taeyeon that hard.

 

The brunette shook her head. “I am just at my room. Talk to me.” She stood up and off she went.

 

Tiffany was just too confused about the unsorted things in her life and so, she thought Taeyeon could be her outlet. But then she went overboard. She was wrong.

 

She heard muffled sounds and she turned her head at the direction. Her team members were there. She moved in closer to see what they were up to.

 

"So we start from zero." Sooyoung muttered while stuffing with her sandwich. "Prime suspects weren't really murderers after all."

 

"He couldn't kill her." Taeyeon shot back. "Did you see his eyes and his hands?" She pointed at the monitor. The interrogation held earlier was being played on the computer.

 

Yuri, who was sitting not so far from Taeyeon, watched the video too. "Hey. Have a seat.” She called for Tiffany before looking back at Taeyeon. “What can you say about him?" Yuri asked.

 

"When Inspector Hwang told him about Soyu's death, he asked if it was his fault. A guilty man would've told her that he didn't do it right away." Taeyeon slouched on her seat. "So I guess yes, zero, it is."

 

Tiffany sat near Yuri and squinted to see what the psychologist was talking about. And the woman was right. Jisuk had this look of remorse when she told him that Soyu didn't die of suicide. His hands were trembling. Taeyeon was always right about these things.

 

She watched her with amusement and yes, maybe there was something more than her fashion and her brains. She sighed. "He couldn't kill her but he was able to cheat on her." There was a tinge of bitterness on her voice.

 

Hyoyeon came in with some folders. "These are Soyu and Sohee's call and messages log before they died. Nothing looks different." She opened one and read the papers. "Sohee asked the laundry shop if she could get her clothes. Soyu exchanged multiple text messages with Jisuk. He was apologizing and damn, this girl was willing to give him another chance."

 

"One of those girls, I believe." Tiffany said. Her phone rung and her eyes rolled when she saw the name of the caller. "I just have to get this." She stood up and out she went.

 

"What's her problem?" Sooyoung asked.

 

Yuri and Hyoyeon looked at each other with smiles on their faces. "Let's just say Tiffany has cheating issues with her ex." Yuri shrugged.

 

"Oh." The tall agent nodded. "I think we will be working together for a longer time so I think we should know each other, don't you think? And we should drop the formalities. I mean, we're the same age right?"

 

Taeyeon smiled a bit at her friend to the others. She hadn't had any friends aside from her neighbour in mid school, Sooyoung and Sunny. Maybe having more wouldn't be so bad.

 

"That's a good idea. And some time after this case, we should go out too." Hyoyeon fist pumped and she started dancing on her position and Yuri did the same.

 

Taeyeon stood up after their laughter subsided. She needed to check on her partner too.

 

"Taeyeon, where are you going?" Sooyoung asked.

 

Hyoyeon looked at her questioningly.  "Yeah, the pizza's about to arrive Taeyeon." She chuckled. "That's weird. Calling you teacher or doctor sounded better."

 

Taeyeon, instead of getting pissed off, laughed heartily. "I like Taeyeon or Taeng.” She smiled at the memory of Jessica calling her that. “I'll just check up on Inspector Hwang."

 

 

****

 

 

Taeyeon slowly pushed the glass door of the headquarters. She walked silently at the car park. There she found Tiffany on the phone, almost yelling. But the sobs were prominent. She stopped a few feet away to give Tiffany and the caller more time. She thought of coming back but her feet stopped her.

 

She was still mad at her but there was something inside her that told her to stay and wait for Tiffany.

 

"Just leave and never come back." Tiffany cried. "Khun, I am tired of this. You won't change at all. So stop calling and stop sending those stupid flowers!" She wiped her tears and hung up. When she turned around, she found Taeyeon looking at her. "How long have you been there?"

 

"Just now." The psychologist stepped closer. She took out her neat handkerchief and handed the cloth to Tiffany. It was the first time she saw Tiffany looking so weak. She seemed very vulnerable. And though she was used to this kind of situation since college, she couldn’t understand why she felt sad too. "Are you okay?"

 

The other woman nodded. "I am, I was just-" She heaved a deep sigh before looking up at the starry sky above them. "That was my ex."

 

Taeyeon watched Tiffany and she somehow appreciated her beauty amidst the tears. It was Tiffany’s time to open up a bit. And maybe Taeyeon could understand her more. The anger she felt for the woman easily disappeared in thin air. "Were you fighting?"

 

"No. He was asking for another chance. She slept with somebody else by the way." She sat down on the cemented ground.

 

Taeyeon doesn't know how to feel sympathy too. And it actually is the first time she felt something close to that. She sat near Tiffany. "And? What did you say?"

 

"To let me go. I don't want to see him anymore."

 

"But you looked like you regret your decision." She looked straight into Tiffany's eyes.

 

The woman puffed her cheeks. "Can you not use your superpowers on me?"

 

"Oops, sorry." Taeyeon chuckled. "Seriously though, why? You are determined to let him go but there is something in there."

 

"Maybe I still have a tiny amount of love for that jerk. And three years of investment isn’t something you could just let go."

 

With a sneer, the psychologist huffed. "Love." She didn't believe in it.

 

Tiffany creased her brows as she tried to study the sudden behavioral change. "What do you know about love, Dr Kim?"

 

"Love is a mere chemical reaction. When PEAs release norepinephrine, dopamine and serotonin, that's what we call love. We feel giddy and our hearts bounce, that's norepi. Dopamine makes us feel good and sometimes it helps with mate selection. Serotonin, which govern our brains make us keep thinking about that person." She explained. She couldn't explain deeper than that. "I can't just let those hormones control me."

 

Tiffany nodded. "Have you ever been in love?"

 

"No." Was her brief answer.

 

""Why? What's with being in love that you hated so much?"

 

Taeyeon was taken aback, not knowing what to say or do. "Endorphins make us feel comfortable and secure after a long time. Then someday, they could be the reason of pain associated with," She paused. "Love."

 

"What?"

 

Taeyeon shook her head.

 

“Why are you here?” Tiffany didn’t pry. “You were mad at me.”

 

The psychologist turned her head. “Well, I am not anymore.”

 

“Sorry.” Tiffany said quietly.

 

“That’s okay. But can you tone it down? The teasing, I mean. I am not really good with those kinds of jokes.”

 

The woman giggled as she pressed the handkerchief on her damp cheeks. “Okay.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“…”

 

"My parents.” Taeyeon suddenly said. She didn’t know why but she felt like she had to open up to a little bit. They were in love, they said. But just before I go to highchool, they just, separated." She admitted. Her voice turned melancholic.

 

"Your doors are already closed, Dr Kim."

 

"Taeyeon." She said. "You can call me Taeyeon. People back there said we should drop the formalities."

 

"Right," Tiffany smiled. "Taeyeon, you wouldn't understand until you feel it." She gently placed her hand over Taeyeon's chest. Her eyes were sad. "Sometimes, you just have to feel."

 

And at that slightest moment, with that slightest touch, and under that gaze, Taeyeon wasn't able to explain how it made her feel. The warmth of Tiffany’s hand on her heart was undeniable. For the first time in her life, an unknown phenomenon happened, and she, the genius Kim Taeyeon will never find the explanation anywhere in textbooks.

 

 

 

To be continued....

 

 

 

****

 

:)