VI.

Of Duties and By-Laws

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VI.

 

 

 

"Man is by nature competitive, combative, ambitious, jealous, envious, and vengeful."

 

 

-Arthur Keith

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon stayed for a bit after everyone bid their goodbyes. Night officers on duty were already there but she didn't know anyone among them. For the past days, she has learned to love being around people, be it friends or random people. She sure has been taking baby steps out of her cocoon, her comfort zone. She had to thank Jessica for that, and of course, Tiffany.

 

"Are you still not going? I'll take you home." Sunny offered when they happen to have a brief talk after the meeting.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. "I'm fine. You can go."

 

The blonde narrowed her eyes. "Are you secretly meeting someone?"

 

"Wh-what?!" Taeyeon huffed.

 

The other woman shrugged. "You're acting weird these days. Sooyoung and I will listen if ever you'll need us." Sunny smiled as she went out of the police headquarters.

 

These past few days were able to bring her different kinds of feelings and experiences that she never felt before. Once she has asked herself if she actually lived her life. But nothing came as an answer. Now, everything comes in slowly. Although she also wanted this to happen, she also needed more time to adjust to the huge differences this job gave to her once quiet and boring life.

 

She bummed on one of the couches at the reception area as she played with her phone. No more than fifteen minutes passed when a tan female officer sat next to her. "You're still here."

 

"Oh, Yuri." She straightened up. "I was just killing time. You?"

 

"Waiting for someone before going home."

 

"Having a date?" Taeyeon asked. She kept her phone back inside her bag. She pushed her eye glasses back to her face. She was aware that her glasses were not well fitted to her small face because when her father gave them to her on her birthday, he didn't care to check her daughter's size. Yuri's goofy grin somehow answered her question. "Oh, nice. Is he late?"

 

"No. I am early." Yuri turned to face Taeyeon. “Can you read me right now?”

 

"Uh, no. But I can say you're happy." She said, taken aback.

 

The cop heaved a sigh. "I am going to tell you a secret, 'kay?” Cupping , she murmured. “I am dating a woman." She said with hesitation. But relief washed through her face upon confession.

 

Taeyeon chuckled. "You might see me as old fashioned but I don't give too much attention to gender. In this day and age, I believe society has already accepted that."

 

"Thanks." Yuri smiled gently this time. "No one knows except you and me. You better keep this a secret."

 

Taeyeon hummed in agreement to Yuri's request. There was a brief silence until she had to ask something about this thing that nagged her. "Yuri?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"How would you say that you're attracted to someone?" She asked coyly.

 

The tan woman looked at Taeyeon mischievously. "Do I know this person?"

 

"What? Wait, no." Taeyeon uncomfortably moved positions to avoid the other woman’s eyes on her. She wasn't used to this kind of confrontation especially with this kind of topic. It is her weakness. "Just curious."

 

The taller woman's phone vibrated. She took it out to check the message. "You see that?" She pointed at .

 

"See what?"

 

"A message from her made me grin like this. It is nothing but it meant the whole world to me." Yuri stood while patting Taeyeon's shoulder. "Try thinking about that person and then if you did the same as me, you already know."

 

“Oh.” Of course, her huge brain and her slightly used heart couldn’t process what the woman said.

 

“Tiffany’s really nice.” Yuri said, smiling.

 

“I know. But why is she part of the conversation?”

 

A chuckle came from the inspector’s mouth. If I were in Tiffany’s place, I’d be frustrated that I liked her too. “Don’t you like her?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head.

 

Maybe pushing her would do great miracles. “I thought you liked her.”

 

“No.” The shorter woman denied instantly.

 

“You went on a date earlier, right?”

 

“No, we were just-”

 

Yuri stood up when a sedan parked near the entrance. It was her date. “Bye, Taeng.” She winked at the flabbergasted woman before heading out.

 

 

****

 

 

Tiffany went home with a stupid smile on her face. For months after she and her ex broke up, it was the first time she went out with someone. It wasn't really a date but it was the closest one. Opening up to someone like Taeyeon was fun too. It was comfortable. The decaffeinated coffee and book talk didn't bore her as well.

 

Before finally flopping down on her bed, she stopped by the life sized mirror and look at herself. Her cheeks were pink- tinged and a giddy smile was plastered on her face. She realized how happy she was that day.

 

She sat down by the edge of her bed and her smile dimmed upon realizing something. The last time she felt this way was when she got her first kiss from her ex-boyfriend. Abruptly, she stood up and paced back and forth. Wait, no. This can't be-

 

She closed her eyes and among the darkness, she saw Taeyeon's face, her huge round eye glasses and her chin dimple. Her laughter reverberated through the silent air. "No way." She uttered once her eyes flung open. "This isn't it. I am just happy that I got a new friend. Yes that's it." She snapped her finger. She tried to believe that statement but then, both her heart and mind betrayed her.

 

The phone rung and Tiffany answered the phone without looking at the caller. “Yes?”

 

“Fany-ah, let’s talk, please?” A man with a tired voice pleaded.

 

She rolled her eyes. “Stop bothering me.” And she hung up. She didn’t have time for the past since her present was unclear too.

 

Tiffany threw herself on her bed to try to go to sleep. Maybe a little rest could help her clear her mind. And by tomorrow, she'd be thinking about no one who goes by the name Kim Taeyeon. With a relieved and determined mind, she closed her eyes once more.

 

The truth is, she spent the night battling against herself. Her most awaited sleep never arrived. The clock read four in the morning when she begrudgingly opened her eyes. With a sigh, she chose to just stare at the ceiling trying to process everything. It irked her that at the end of it all, she only had one answer.

 

 

****

 

 

The briefing early that morning has long been done but there was no answer before them. Connections were obscure, motives were unclear and people were tired. They didn't see anything on the victim's mails, text messages, or social networking sites that could indicate that someone's being a threat to them.

 

Tiffany silently took her seat very far from Taeyeon just to keep herself together. Thinking about this stupid thing in the middle of an investigation will only lead her to nothing. She tried hard to focus on the papers and records she was holding but she occasionally stole glances at the busy woman across the table.

 

There was something different inside her that she almost split the paper into two while trying to process it. Taeyeon bit her lip and Tiffany found it adoring. Her glasses were barely hanging on her nose and Tiffany found it very squishy. Tiffany barely knew her but somehow, she felt like she knew her for a very long time.

 

She side glanced again and saw Taeyeon scrunch her nose and shook her head. Tiffany smiled. She knew Taeyeon had something in mind. And mostly, she was right about that.

 

"The killer showed remorse, didn't he?" The short woman stood up. Everyone nodded. "People like this tend to go back to the crime scenes, talk to the loved ones and show care, he may also inject himself to the investigation if he could." She looked at Tiffany with a smile.

 

It would've been easy for her to smile back in a normal situation but instead, she looked away because she knew she was already blushing. Taeyeon was right, though. Maybe they have seen the suspect when they went to interview the families. They just missed him.

 

"Okay, let's go back to the families, and neighbors. Maybe someone they don't know approached them. Go back to the crime scene and pay special attention to anyone who has an odd behavior." Sunny said. And each team went out except for Taeyeon and Tiffany.

 

Tiffany was still spacing out. She didn't know how to sort this overwhelming feeling. First, Taeyeon most likely do not like her. Second, she's too bookish and smart for her liking. Third, this is just wrong.

 

"Tiffany." That low soft voice startled her. "Are you okay?" Taeyeon emerged behind her. She was utterly worried.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine." Coldly, she replied.

 

Taeyeon frowned. "Are you sure? You look sick." She touched Tiffany's forehead with the back of her hand and the latter flinched. "I'm sorry I was just-"

 

Even Tiffany was surprised by her own behavior. "I'm sorry. I think I had too much coffee." She lied.

 

"Okay. Just tell me when you're ready." Taeyeon paused. “Don’t worry, spacing out is important too. Studies show that zoning out gives our brain the rest that it needed from repetitive tasks or intense cognitive activities. It also provides a stronger connection of our old memories to new, changed or rearranged memories.”

 

“Taeyeon-” The woman said in a singsong pattern, telling the psychologist to stop for a minute.

 

“No, I was just telling you that it’s okay to space out because it helps you think of decisions informatively. I’ll be right at front when you’re ready.” And she disappeared.

 

Tiffany wanted to wish for Taeyeon to stop being too caring but a larger part of her didn’t. No, she thought, she had to keep her cool and focus on the case. And after this investigation, she’d think about it. Old to new, change, rearrange. Definitely, you, coming into my life changed everything, Taeyeon.

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

"We already talked with Soyu's parents and neighbors." Sooyoung said over the phone. "They didn't notice anyone who was wandering around. No one also tried to talk to them."

 

"Okay, thanks Sooyoung." Tiffany then hung up. She hesitantly faced the woman who was driving. "Negative on Soyu's residence."

 

Taeyeon nodded. "But I believe he had come to Sohee's "

 

"How come?"

 

"First victims will always have a special place in a killer's heart." She paused. "If they have hearts, that is." She chuckled but Tiffany didn't. "Hey why didn't you laugh?"

 

"That's supposed to be funny?" Tiffany replied with a sarcastic face.

 

"It is funny." Taeyeon pointed out. She pouted when their eyes met. She noticed that the other woman's eyes were a little brighter than earlier. She was relieved to see that.

 

"Well at least you tried." Tiffany giggled. "But seriously, I didn't get that as a joke."

 

"Okay, stop it." The older and shorter woman sneered. And that only made Tiffany laugh harder.

 

She told Taeyeon once that she had to feel to understand. Now it was her turn not to understand a thing. She was upset and frustrated by her uncertainties but talking to Taeyeon like this, like they used to, lifted her somehow. If she'd fight it, she'll only spend unnecessary effort to something that's so inevitable.

 

The long drive wasn't too long after all. Tiffany wasn't even half way to her decision when they arrived at Ahn Sohee's house. The old couple were expecting them so the house was prepared. They were given cups of teas as they sat down in the living room.

 

"You said over the phone that you needed to ask something?"

 

Taeyeon nodded at the older woman. "Mrs Ahn, have you seen anyone during the burial or at the wake that you didn't know? Someone who was always present even if he was insignificant?"

 

Mr Ahn shook his head. "No, I don't remember anyone."

 

"Please do try." Tiffany pleaded. "We believe that the one who killed Sohee came to you. Anything you can remember would help us."

 

Mrs Ahn closed her eyes. "I think someone came to me on Sohee's second night." She muttered low when she opened her eyes. "I was crying and this man, he came to me and asked if I was okay. I didn't know him but he's so nice. He offered his handkerchief."

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany stared at each other. There was hope. The psychologist was right. He came to his first victim.

 

"Can you describe him to us?"

 

"I can't remember his face. But he's standing 6 feet or something like that. He's tanned too." The woman slightly shuddered at the realization that he let the killer walk inside her daughter's wake. "Why did he come back?"

 

"He may have felt guilty or remorseful about what he did." Taeyeon explained. And the woman scoffed.

 

"Sorry for disturbing you, Mr and Mrs Ahn. And thank uou," She rubbed the older woman's arm gently to calm her. Knowing that the killer talked to you would be a shock to anyone. "You did great." Then soon the two officers went out of the house after emptying their cups of tea.

 

"We're closer. We just have to alert everyone near the victims to always check this man." Taeyeon handed Tiffany the car key.

 

The woman lifted her hand, expecting for a high five. “Yah, Taeyeon! You should slam your hand on mine!”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because,” She took Taeyeon’s hand and did the high five, herself. “We did a good job!”

 

Taeyeon giggled. “Of course, we’re the dream team.” She smiled and her eyes darted to Tiffany’s. The woman’s eyes were nowhere to find when she smiled. She was beautiful, Taeyeon thought.

 

“Come on, let’s go.”

 

 

****

 

 

 

"Hey, waiting for someone?" Sunny cocked her head to side.

 

Tiffany smiled. "Taeyeon, I just needed to ask more from the case." She lied, a terrible one. She was waiting for Taeyeon because she was hoping for a moment with her that wouldn't involve work. On their drive back to the headquarters, she made peace with herself. She finally accepted the fact that she could be falling in love with Taeyeon. It drove her crazy, really.

 

"You've grown close together, we noticed." Sooyoung suddenly came behind Sunny. She sat next to Tiffany, determined to strike a conversation. She was no mind reader but she noticed things.

 

"Maybe?" Tiffany was unsure where all of this is coming from.

 

Sunny nodded and stole a glance from the tallest woman among them. "I can safely say that your tandem has done a great job so far."

 

"Thanks." Tiffany blushed. "Taeyeon's super smart. She's really great."

 

"You talk fondly of her." Sooyoung raised her brows at the woman beside her. Tiffany looked surprised at her casual remark. Then Taeyeon emerged from the pantry. "There she is. Tiffany, she can be really dense so you have to step up." She stood up and winked.

 

"Wh-what?"

 

"We can see how you look at her." Sunny giggled. "She's a good person, Tiffany."

 

When Taeyeon reached her seat, the two NIS agents already disappeared. All Tiffany had left with her was a bouncing heart. When Taeyeon sat next to her, she couldn't think straight. How stupid she was to let her emotions take over her actions and expressions.

 

"Saw you talking to Soo and Sunny." The older woman said, checking up inside her bag.

 

"That's nothing. What are you doing?" Tiffany asked instead.

 

Taeyeon took out a plastic container with brownies inside. "This. I tried making them before coming here. Here come get some." She pushed the container towards Tiffany. The latter took one and had a bite. "How is it?"

 

"It's good." Tiffany said, delighted. "You can bake."

 

The woman shrugged and pushed her glasses back on.

 

"You didn't share this to them earlier at the con room."

 

"Yeah, that." Taeyeon scratched her nape. "I forgot. But you're still so I am going to share it with you."

 

"For someone who looks like she is not capable of loving and caring, you're sweet." Wait, what? That didn't sound right. Tiffany bit her lip. She shouldn't have said that.

 

"You're kidding, right?" Taeyeon looked at her and Tiffany shook her head.

 

The door across them rasped open and came out Jessica, who held papers on her hand. She looked up and saw Taeyeon and Tiffany. "Hi." She nodded.

 

"Jess." Tiffany smiled.

 

Taeyeon just stared but she didn't speak a word.

 

The young captain started walking away but then she stopped midway when she recalled something. "Taeyeon, you said you're going to give me something?"

 

Tiffany gazed at Taeyeon. For some reason, she felt like she lost a part of her gut that the physical pain of actually suffering from it made her scowl.

 

The latter bit her lip before rummaging her bag for that one thing she'd been keeping the whole day. She took out a smaller box made with hardened papers with a ribbon on top of it. She didn't lift her head to level Jessica's surprised stare when she stood up. "I just want to give you this." She said to the brunette.

 

"Did you make it?" Jessica asked when she opened the present.

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

The brunette stooped a little. She looked at Taeyeon’s eyes. "Thank you."

 

Tiffany's heart constricted at what she just saw. Taeyeon made the brownies especially for Jessica. And there she was, thinking they had a special bond. She cleared when she started packing. "Hey, I have to go. Jess, Taeyeon, take care when you go home." She smiled, but it was fake.

 

She didn't wait for her best friend and the woman who made her life miserable for the past hours to reply. She stood up and scurried away from that scene. She planned to talk to Jessica about her feelings but then, she couldn't since Taeyeon seemed to like her.

 

For the first time in her life, she felt rejected. She chuckled at that thought because never did she have a moment wherein she didn't get what she wanted. But maybe, Taeyeon would be the exception. 

 

 

 

 

To be continued...

 

 

****

 

i wanna go to sleep. haha you guys done with spazzing over Mr.Mr.? haha I love its laidback feels, do you agree?

 

now tell me what you think about the chapter and about anything you wanna share. haha :)