4

Paper Cut

Jae Mi gaped at her friend.

“He WHAT!?” she roared out when ~~~~~ told her what had happened. She had called Jae Mi over as soon as she had got of the phone with Yonghwa and then turned off the cell.

“He didn’t show,” ~~~~~ said in a quiet voice. Jae Mi slammed her fists in one of ~~~~~’s cushions.

“That BASTARD!” she yelled. “I’m going to teach him…”

“We broke up,” ~~~~~ interrupted her. Jae Mi froze with her one fist raised in the air. ~~~~~ glanced at her. “I dumped him.” The tears she had held in since yesterday suddenly flooded her eyes and started streaming down her cheeks. Jae Mi sat perplexed for a minute before reaching out a hand and ruffling her friend’s hair.

“It’s okay. He was a douche bag anyway, you did the right thing,” she said comforting. ~~~~~ kept on sobbing, knowing that she wasn’t going to be fine in a very long time. She was going to miss Yonghwa. She still loved him, and it would take time for her to get over him. She buried her face in her hands and let the tears drip on her bedspreads. Jae Mi put her arm around ~~~~~’s shoulders and pulled her close. She didn’t say anything more and let ~~~~~ cry until she had nothing more inside her. Jae Mi felt sorry for her friend, knowing that there were some really tough times waiting ahead of her.

 

“Yonghwa?” He didn’t react to the voice calling for him. He just stared at into the wall. “Hyung! Wake up!” Minhyuk did his best to wave his arms and call for his hyung’s attention. Jonghyun put an arm on Minhyuk’s shoulder and shook his head.

“Leave him alone, he needs some time by himself,” he said wisely to the younger boy. Minhyuk nodded in agreement.

“Why did she dump you?” Jeongsin asked bluntly. Yonghwa snapped his head at him at the word dump but he didn’t say anything. He just shook his head and sighed. Minhyuk tilted his head and pouted. Jeongsin glanced at him and knew that it was killing the older band member not to know. “You might feel better if you tell us,” he said in a softer tone. Jonghyun and Minhyuk exchanged surprised looks. That was the nicest thing he had ever said… Yonghwa also seemed a bit confused by the sudden consideration coming from the maknae.

“I should have been there for her.”

“Were you supposed to meet her yesterday?” Jonghyun asked carefully. Yonghwa sighed with a small nod.

“I was supposed to see her and celebrate our one year anniversary…” The guys looked at each other with a terrified glare. Their leader was… screwed. Minhyuk put on a sad face.

“Is it my fault?” He looked at his hyung with teary eyes. “Is it my fault that you didn’t go and see her?” Yonghwa shook his head with a small comforting smile towards the younger boy.

“It’s not just yesterday. It’s all the days since we’ve been away from her. I didn’t play my cards right, so I lost,” he said in a sad voice. He turned back to stare into the wall and the other three guys didn’t bother him anymore. Minhyuk glanced at Jonghyun.

“It is my fault, isn’t it?” he whispered in a devastated voice. Jonghyun just gave him a small smile and tried to comfort Minhyuk, who now seemed to be just as depressed as the leader. Yonghwa suddenly startled in his chair when his phone started buzzing. He had turned the sound off when a nurse told him he wasn’t allowed to have the phone on inside.

“Yoboseyo!?” he screamed into the phone sitting straight up in the chair. All three boys were looking at him attentively. “Oh, manager hyung,” Yonghwa said with disappointment in his voice and the three boys looked at him as he slumped back into his chair.

“Stupid manager,” Minhyuk pouted and Jonghyun agreed with an angry look. Yonghwa nodded to no one.

“Yes manager, I can do that, I will get right to it.” Yonghwa hung up and leaned back in the chair with a deep sighed. He had hoped it would be her, giving him one last chance. How stupid can you get? Why would she ever forgive him after all he had done? Or rather, after all he hadn’t done… He sighed, again, and stood up.

“Hyung, where are you going?” Jonghyun asked.

“The manager asked me to rearrange the new song for our album,” he said. He bowed to the rest of the group and was out of the room.

“No wonder he never had time for his girlfriend when he accepts ever task that fat manager gives him,” Jeongsin muttered and put his feet on the bed and rested his head on the back rest of his chair.

 

Yonghwa was back in less than an hour.

“Hyung, you’re back already?” Jonghyun asked surprised. Yonghwa nodded. He didn’t tell his friends, but he couldn’t stand being alone. All he did was cry.

“I just want to make sure Minhyuk is fine,” he said instead, although he knew that his friend was in good hands. Yonghwa sat down in his chair and picked up the papers containing the new song. He sat quiet and tried to work on the song while his group members watched him. He sorted the papers and tried to read the notes, he reordered the papers and tried to see any errors with the lyrics. He couldn’t focus and his eyesight was getting blurry. He desperately flipped through the papers.

“Why do you have to rearrange the song anyway? I think it’s perfect for our new album,” Minhyuk said, trying to lighten the mood a bit. Jonghyun nodded excitedly, happy that someone tried to do something about the tense atmosphere in the room.

“Ah, damn it!” Yonghwa dropped the papers in his lap when he cut himself on the one with the lyrics. A teeny tiny drop of blood made its way out of the small wound.

“Hyung, are you okay?” Jonghyun asked worriedly. Yonghwa stared at his finger. Jeongsin opened one eye and glanced at him.

“It’s a sign, don’t change it.” He closed his eyes again. Yonghwa didn’t hear what he had said. He just stared at the small droplet of blood leaving his finger and dripping onto the paper, staining the lyrics. The song he had written to her.

“It’s all for you,” he whispered.

“You’re always so busy adding so many things to your already heavy burden. You should take a few days off and get that girl back.” Jeongsin had his eyes closed and his face was emotionless as he said that. Yonghwa turned his head and looked at him before springing to his feet and was heading towards the door.

“Hyung, hwaiting!” Minhyuk cheered from his bed.

“Get well soon. Talk to the manager for me,” he called over his shoulder, and he was out of the room.