3

Paper Cut

~~~~~ was led to a table by the window. She smiled to the waitress and thanked her as she sat down. Her stomach was filled with butterflies as she waited for Yonghwa to show up. She had a perfect view over the street and would see right away when he entered the street outside. She scouted eagerly out the window. He was five minutes late. He was still human. Everyone is late sometimes. She twirled a lock of hair between her fingers as she looked out the window hoping that Yonghwa would appear.

Ten minutes later there was still no sign of Yonghwa, anywhere. ~~~~~ checked her phone, again, but there was no message, no missed calls, nothing. When another ten minutes had passed she knew. He wasn’t coming. The disappointment she felt was too big to even describe. She had been waiting for almost half an hour and he wasn’t there. ~~~~~ glanced at the empty chair on the opposite side of the table. She knew that everyone at the surrounding tables was glancing at her, pitying her. She didn’t even care that everyone stared as she rose from her chair and walked towards the exit. She apologized to the waitress for taking up her time and then left the restaurant. She thought about calling Jae Mi, but changed her mind and decided that she just wanted to be alone.

She entered her room and dropped her bag on the floor. She just stood there, not knowing what to do. She was so sad and disappointed and angry with herself for not seeing this one coming. Tears burned behind her eyes, but she refused to let them flow. There was no way she was crying. He was the one who was going to be sad for not arriving on time, for not arriving at all. She had given him enough chances, and he just blown his last.

 

She wasn’t going to call him, she just wasn’t. Yet she found herself pressing the numbers she had memorized so long ago and pressing the dial button.

“~~~~~?” Yonghwa answered almost right away. She didn’t greet him.

“You didn’t show up yesterday.”

“I know, I’m sorry, I just… Something came up. There was an emergency at the studio…”

“You could’ve at least called and cancelled instead of making me spend our one year anniversary alone at a restaurant.” She almost spit out the words, they tasted bad in .

“I’m really sorry, ~~~~~. Something really important got in the way…”

“There’s always something important, something more important than me,” she said quietly.

“Don’t… Don’t say that, you know it’s not true.”

“You’re not even in town, are you?” she asked.

“… No.”

“Goodbye, Yonghwa.”

 

“~~~~~, wait!” But she had already hung up. Yonghwa tried calling her back, but she didn’t answer. He stared at his phone.

“Hyung, what’s up?” Minhyuk asked seeing the look on Yonghwa’s face. Without taking his eyes of his phone Yonghwa sighed deeply.

“I just screw up, real bad.”

“Did something happen?” Jonghyun asked as he entered the room. Yonghwa looked at the both of them with sad eyes.

“I think I just lost the most important part, of me.” He looked at his phone again. The display was showing a picture of him and ~~~~~ from before his debut. Minhyuk glanced at Jonghyun.

“What is he talking about?” he whispered. Jonghyun shrugged. Jeongsin sighed from his chair. These guys were too sensitive, they should just ask if they wanted to know.

“Yah, Yonghwa. Tell us what’s going on already,” he said to the group leader. Jonghyun hit his shoulder hard and gave him an angry look. Jeongsin just shrugged. Yonghwa kept staring at his phone.

“She broke up with me.” Minhyuk gave him a weird look.

“Hyung, you have a girlfriend?” he asked. Yonghwa looked at him. Jonghyun nudged Minhyuk’s shoulder and whispered;

“I think it’s that girl who keeps calling. Apparently they met before he got famous.”

“You really didn’t know?” Yonghwa asked and examined the member’s faces. Minhyuk shook his head violently and Jonghyun just made a confused face. Jeongsin was leaning back in his chair with his feet on Minhyuk’s bed.

“You never really told us she was your girlfriend.” Jeongsin shrugged. Yonghwa buried his face in his hands. He had really been the worst boyfriend ever. He felt the tears burning in his eyes. Were they really breaking up?

“This is all my fault.”