o02

PiLlow
 CHAPTER 2: 
The Friends  
 

"Wake up! We're late!" Jennifer shouted. The whole room was messy and everybody's still sleeping except for David who already had the apron around him. Rischia yawned, pushing Joanne's foot that was rested on her stomach before she sat up and ruffled her messy hair. Joanne groaned and turned to her side. She threw the covers away from her and hugged Christine, resting her head on the latter's stomach.

"What's for breakfast?" Rischia asked sleepily. Jennifer blew her bangs away and grabbed Rischia's hands before she tried pulling her up but Rischia was too tired to stand up and she was heavy for Jennifer. "Uggh! Stand up already!" she whined.

Christine woke up at the feeling of her stomach getting heavy and wet. She looked down only to see Joanne drooling on her. She jolted up and pushed Joanne who landed on Raymon's back right after. "Oww!" Joanne and Raymon winced. "What was that for?" Joanne her head.

"You drooled on me!" Christine yelled. Jennifer and Rischia began laughing seeing how disgusted Christine was.

Joanne rolled her eyes and stretched her arms up. "My saliva's holy, girl. You're lucky."

"Holy, my ! It's gross!" Christine complained. Then, Raymon joined. The three of them started bickering making Jennifer and Rischia leave for the kitchen where David was cooking.

Mylene who was on the far end woke up at the noise and she stood up, immediately grabbing her towel. Jesel saw her and she grabbed her towel too before they both had war over who's going to shower first.

"Eonni, let me shower first~" Jesel begged. Mylene fought back. "No way! I'm older, I go first."

"But I got hold of the knob first. It means I go first." Jesel argued back. Raymon saw the commotion with them and left Christine and Joanne who were wrestling each other. He gently pushed them away and opened the bathroom. He went in and the water.

"Hey!" Mylene and Jesel grumbled at him. Raymon went out and shoved the two of them inside. "You're both girls. Just shower together!" he grunted, crossing his arms. Jesel and Mylene stared at each other before they laughed. "Yeah, he's right. Let's just go together." Mylene said and Jesel nodded before they locked the door.

"Take this!" Joanne screamed pushing Christine to lie down in her stomach. The latter kept laughing until Joanne stepped on her left leg and stretched her right leg up. She went higher and higher and higher. "Ahhh!! I give up!!" Christine screamed. Her laugh mixed with her pained groan as she tapped on the floor.

"And the winner is, Joanne!!" Raymon announced. He pulled Joanne up and raised her right hand. "Thank you, thank you!" Joanne bowed and blew kisses to the invisible audience. Christine guffawed below.

Joanne and Raymon pulled her up then her brows furrowed, hissing a bit. "Girl, I think you broke my bone!" she laughed. She twisted her upper body from left to right and produced cracking sounds from her spine. "Uggh~ That felt good."

"Breakfast is ready! Come on, guys!" Rischia announced from the kitchen. Raymon, Joanne and Christine immediately ran to the table and sat on their usual spots. "Wow! Beef stew!" Christine chimed. It's her favorite.

"Uggh~ No steak?" Joanne complained. David smacked her head with the spatula. "Just eat what's served on the table." He scolded. Rischia took her bowl and filled it up with broth and veggies. "I'm digging in!"

Jennifer slapped her hand. Rischia groaned and pouted. "Leave some for Jesel and Mylene."

"Dhavid, whjat argh you chookhing?" Joanne asked with full. The sound of frying and the smell of chicken caught her attention. "This is for our lunch." He said. "We'll bring it to school."

"Okhay~" Joanne nodded and dug back in. Christine wrinkled her forehead. "Swallow your food first, woman!"

Raymon laughed. "She was complaining that there's no steak but look at her eat. It seems to be like it's not your favorite but hers." He told Christine while chuckling. The latter bobbed her head in agreement.

 

A few hours later, they came to school late. Even if the girls showered together, the time was still short. They were all juniors in high school but they weren't classmates. Mylene and David are from Class A. Rischia, Jennifer and Christine are from Class B and Raymon, Jesel and Joanne are from Class C.

 

"Today, all juniors will be gathered." The teacher announced. Joanne rolled her eyes and elbowed Jesel who was seated to her right. "Is it that time again?"

Jesel shrugged. "Don't know, don't care. Besides, I'm sure there'll be no handsome guys there." She whispered. Joanne turned her head to her and grinned before they high-fived."

"Ms. Kim!" The teacher called angrily. "Pay attention, you brat."

"Why is it always me?" Joanne groaned to herself before she raised her hand at the teacher and forced a smile. "Yes, ma'am!" Jesel giggled. Raymon, who was at the back of Joanne, chuckled.

 

The first class ended and all the juniors gathered at the open field of their school. They lined up according to their class. Though they were arranged by class, all eight of them were next to each other at the end of their class lines. Rischia, Jennifer and Christine in the middle line; Joanne, Raymon and Jesel to the right; and Mylene and David to the left.

"Hey, is it that time?" Joanne asked again, nudging Rischia. The latter nodded, "Another batch of transferees will be introduced today."

"I wonder who's going to be in Class A." Joanne said.

In Seoul Arts University, they had a tradition of welcoming newcomers. They come in batch. Five students for every batch. These transferees seldom make it to Class A. Class A is known to be the class of nerds. Classes B to D are the middle ones and all the hard-headed students are in Class E.

"You know, I'm still wondering why you're in Class C when you're supposed to be in Class E." Jennifer mocked Joanne making the latter stand up and point at her. "Oh, don't you dare!" she exploded. All the students were sitting except for her. All their attention turned her way.

"MS. KIM!!" The principal roared in the mic. Her voice boomed all over the place making the students cover their ears. "I'm so going to kill you all after this." Joanne gritted her teeth. She turned to face the small stage up front and smiled shakily before she scratched the back of her neck.

"SIT DOWN!" The principal ordered and she sat back down, gulping her fear. "So going back…"

"Yah~" She whispered to Jennifer and pulled her fist up to her face, threatening Jennifer. The latter wasn't afraid. She stuck her tongue out at her and said, "It's not my fault you stood up." The rest of them giggled as Joanne glared at them. They were all starting to chatter silently.

"…CLASS A!"

"What?" All eight of them asked in chorus with their wide eyes. They turned their attention to the stage where a slim girl was standing. She did a 45-degree bow.

"Is she going to be in our class?" Mylene asked. David shrugged. He focused his eyes on the girl. She went down the stage and sat at the back of David.

"Hi! What's your name?" Rischia asked the girl in a friendly manner. All of them froze. "Wow! Did our shy girl just ask a newcomer for her name?" Mylene asked amusedly. Rischia grinned and lowered her head. "You know, I have to get rid of this shyness sooner or later." She answered.

They all turned their attention back to the newcomer who managed to get in to Class A after they laughed at Rischia.

"So, what's your name?" Mylene asked the girl. The girl smiled. "Hello. My name is Bae Janshil."

"Ed Chill? Uggh~ I can't chill in here." Joanne asked. You all turned to her and saw that she was busy playing flappy bird. "Crap!" she groaned when the bird fell. "I hate this dumb bird!" she added in a scowl.

"Sorry, she often mishears things." David apologized, laughing. "Yeah. I remember.  One time, Christine talked about CN Blue's Intuition." Mylene laughed. She couldn't continue the story. Rischia laughed with her but she continued, "She went shouting after hearing the song. She was like… Hey! Download Institution for me please!"

Joanne frowned but started chuckling right after. Jennifer snapped her finger. "She couldn't read, too!"

Joanne looked at her, tilting the upper side of her lip and narrowing her eyes. Her look says don't-you-dare-bring-it-up. They all turned to Jennifer. "Do you guys remember when Rischia introduced U-KISS to her?" They shook their heads except for Rischia who began laughing again, cupping to cover the noise.  

"She read Eli's name as Ellie!"

They began laughing again, remembering it. "It was just a small mistake." Joanne defended.

"But we corrected you more than once and you kept insisting that it's read as Ellie." Jennifer guffawed. David turned to Janshil. "Can we call you Edchill instead?" he asked. Janshil blinked her eyes a few times before she nodded with a smile. "I'm fine with it. It's unique."

"Oh, sorry, we haven't introduced ourselves." Christine bowed. "This here is David." She pointed to David and the later shook Edchill's hand. "This is Mylene. They're both your classmates."

"Hi!" Mylene bowed and shook Edchill's hand.

"And I'm Christine. This one is Jennifer and this is Rischia." Christine continued, pointing to the other two girls. "We're from Class B."

She turned to the last ones. "This is Jesel. This is Raymon." They both waved at Edchill. "And last but not the least, the one who birthed your stage name, Joanne. They're from Class C."

"Hi!" Edchill smiled and gladly shook Joanne's hand. The latter grinned shyly.

"And together, we are called…" Christine signaled for them to join her. "PiLlow!" they said in unison. Edchill clapped her hands. Luckily, the principal didn't notice them. She was too busy entertaining the remaining transferees who are not introduced yet.

After a moment, Edchill asked. "Is that your real names?"

Mylene shook her head. "Nope. These are our stage names. It started as a joke but eventually we got used to it."

Edchill nodded her head. "That made sense." She smiled.

"Dimples~" Raymon sighed. Jennifer heard it and nudged Christine. "What's wrong with him?"

They both noticed how he was in a daze. Jennifer looked at the stage where he was looking. No one was there except for the principal. "Must have seen a ghost." Christine said. Jennifer shrugged.

"…and that's all for today." The principal said. "Dismissed! Go back to your rooms."

"That's it?" Joanne asked. "Hang on, where are the other transfer students?"

Jesel stood up and looked at the front line. "Three boys and one girl." She said. "Why are they in the front?" Joanne asked, this time, she stood up to check on them. "Ooh~ the two boys in Class B look hot!" she wriggled her brows.

"No one's in Class C?" Christine asked. Joanne squinted her eyes and pouted disappointedly. "Some giant." She commented.

 

They were all still in the field, talking about anything with their new friend, Edchill. They walked slowly until David and Mylene gasped. The bell was ringing, signaling the start of the third class. Second class was hit by the tradition of introducing the transferees.

"My God, it's Math class! Let's hurry!" David exclaimed. Mylene grabbed Edchill and they went ahead.

"Oh no! It's English time!" Rischia gasped in straight English. She pulled Jennifer and Christine ran after them.

"What about us?" Jesel asked, staring at their friends running. Raymon shrugged at her before he turned to Joanne. The latter smirked and crossed her arms at the back of her head. She whistled. "No need to rush~"

Jesel and Raymon frowned at her. Jesel smacked her head and grabbed onto Raymon's hand before the both of them ran. "Yah!" Joanne shouted and ran after them. "I'm going to kill you!"

 

 
 
 
author's notes