BURY YOURSELF IN A BIG SMILE

INSANITY = INFECTIOUS

As per usual on a weekday night, Sir G-mothering-Dragon was holed up in his usual studio at YG. Practically living in the soundproofed room, Jiyong might as well have changed his mailing address to the damn room, let alone the company building. Things were going well. After he’d finalised lyrics one last time, he’d get inside the actual booth and start recording his latest raps that Jiyong had yet to be absolutely satisfied with, in true perfectionist tradition. But they’d be good to go for tomorrow. It was all sailing smoothly. His deadline wasn’t even that close, although he had a lot to get through.

 

There was a knock at the door, and Jiyong looked up, slightly startled. It was barely past eight in the evening; he didn’t know who else would bother to stick round after standard practise hours or even to knock on the door. The president always entered with the authority of leading his own personal royal parade of one, which was fair enough considering he owned the place. The other members forever bustled in like bulldozers, and, well, that was typically it. Teddy or Choice were usually already in the studio with Jiyong, but he was in complete solitude for the night for once. Nobody else was stupid or important enough to disturb him during his almighty creative process.

 

“Hey, Ji!” The least likely option ventured forward into the room after the door clicked open. Jiyong immediately stood, surprised, albeit pleasantly.

 

“Seunghyun-hyung!” Jiyong greeted his hyung with a grin. It had been a little while since he’d seen the eldest member of Big Bang, but Seunghyun was looking admittedly as dashing as ever, save for the slight specks of sugar he’d accidently avoided in brushing off his shirt, probably from eating his usual confectionary accompanied by red wine and ice cream. Jiyong reaching over towards the other rapped to pat his back in a bro-hug. “What’s up?”

 

Seunghyun didn’t respond. He barely returned the hug. He wouldn’t stop smiling, almost uncontrollably. But it didn’t look genuine at that, either. It just looked pasted on and frozen, like it was a mere photograph of a tight smile, not even Seunghyun in the flesh. Considering how rarely his hyung left his cave of a villa, Jiyong wouldn’t actually be all that surprised if this was a hologram. He had hugged Seunghyun, right? Right. So what was going on?

 

Jiyong was about to repeat this question until Seunghyun suddenly flopped onto the studio sofa. Patting the space next to him and still smiling with that stiff grin all the while, the elder suggested, “Why don’t you take a seat?”

 

“Er…” Jiyong stared unblinkingly at Seunghyun, still trying to gather a vague understanding of what the hell was going on. Wasn’t Jiyong meant to be the one welcoming Seunghyun and doing the rounds of hospitality? What was next? Was Seunghyun going to start offering him beverages from Jiyong’s own Vitamin Water fridge in the corner?  

 

“Okay…?” He guessed, slowly drifting down onto the seat, his eyes warily never leaving Seunghyun’s. “So what’s been happening-“

 

“So you’re getting married soon!” Seunghyun barked, that same grin still as stilted and firmly gripped in place as ever before. “It’s gonna be awesome!”

 

“Yeah…” Jiyong smiled despite the perceived situation, automatically untensing and relaxing at those words, even just for a few seconds. He’d been working his bony arse off so hard, he’d barely remember the wedding was just a few weeks away. With all the work he’d been piled under, Jiyong thought he’d never see the day he’d be happily married as he’d always wished to be. And now it was finally going to happen. It was literally a dream come true. His bride was perfect, his family would be there, all his friends would gather. And out of all of them, it had taken a long time to determine and decide, but Seunghyun was one of the most vital out of all his friends. As Jiyong’s best man, he’d do him proud no doubt.

 

“Man, it’s gonna be just so amazing! You’re gonna be married, oh my god! So cool! We’re gonna have a good time, it’s gonna be ing sweet, and you’ll be great, I can’t ing wait!” Seunghyun practically shouted, bouncing up and down on the spot. Jiyong stared up at him in bewilderment. Was Seunghyun drunk?

 

“Ye…Yeah, hyung. It’s gonna be great.” Jiyong smiled, nodding slowly. His mind began wandering back to the wedding plans again, dreamily imagining waiting for his wife-to-be walking down the aisle in a snowy, foamy whisper of a gown, turning towards his friends and family to gauge their equally proud and enthralled reactions, a grinning Seunghyun patting him on the shoulder in respect-

 

“I’ve got to tell you something.” Seunghyun suddenly blurted, instantaneously snapping Jiyong back to reality like the crack of a whip. Jiyong blinked.

 

“What?” He asked cautiously. He’d known something was up. The question was what exactly.

 

Whatever Jiyong had attempted to imagine didn’t even begin to be on par with what next came out of Seunghyun’s mouth. Worse still was Seunghyun’s own reaction that came with the explanation.

 

“You seeeee. Thing is. My sister got diagnosed with cancer today?” Seunghyun practically yawned. Before Jiyong could even begin to digest that piece of information, the elder nonchalantly, almost carelessly continued. “And…she’s got treatment for it on the day of the wedding. And she really wants me to come with her. Yeaaaah. So…you’re gonna have an awesome time, yeah? But…er…I can’t make it. Sorry, Ji.”

 

Jiyong gasped like a fish fresh out of water. “I…I…” He barely managed, oxygen not quite reaching his lungs. He felt like he’d taken two consecutive punches to the gut. “I…I’m so sorry, Seunghyun! My…My god! Is she gonna be…I mean…I…I…” Jiyong found himself struggling with his words, let alone the correct ones. There just wasn’t anything appropriate to say in a situation like this. He fell silent as Seunghyun lazily batted the air.

 

“It’s fine, it’s fine! I’m just sorry I can’t be there, man, you’re getting married! ! But we’ll be there in the evening, don’t you worry! We’ll still be there…just later! It’ll be great!”

 

Jiyong gawked at Seunghyun, who stared back at him with a smile more serene than Buddha’s. “Are you…Are you sure that’s a good idea? Don’t you need…”

 

Seunghyun grinned. Always with the grinning. “Like I said, it’s fiiinnnneee!” He practically giggled. “It’ll help take her mind off things! It’ll be fun! It’s your day, I can’t miss it, and it’s going to be incredible! She’ll be fine! And…well, if she’s not, oh well!” Seunghyun did let out a little giggle this time.

 

Jiyong tried not to frown, his gaze dropping to the floor as he muttered another stuttering round of hesitant agreement. It was just…Why the did Seunghyun sound so…happy? Almost as if he were amused? He was sat here, right next to Jiyong, laughing in the face of it all…

 

And Jiyong found himself, ever so awkwardly and uncomfortably but irregardless, joining him.

 

It was wrong, Jiyong knew. Even if Seunghyun was only putting up a front, Jiyong still had no right to treat the situation as lightly as his hyung was. But…Seunghyun’s smile, his laughter, his apparent entertainment from it all…

 

It was ing contagious.

 

“So...” Jiyong cleared his throat after a pause. “Your sister…is she…gonna be okay?”

 

Seunghyun blinked. Once. Twice. His smile, bright and lit up like a light bulb, never faltered.

 

“I have no idea.”

 

The elder suddenly whipped away, shielding his face from Jiyong’s view. He lifted his hand lightning quick to his face, viciously scrubbing his face with a sniffing sound. Jiyong instinctively leaned forward to place a comforting hand on his hyung’s shaky shoulder as he stifled a sniffle. Only for Seunghyun to immediately flip back around, almost whacking Jiyong in the face in the process, with an even wider, brighter, tighter smile putting all his pearly white teeth on show.

 

It was then Jiyong noticed the blood trickling out of Seunghyun’s right nostril, and the white powder on his designer shirt resembled less a confectioner’s sugar and more a certain abused substance. Jiyong’s gaze fell to Seunghyun’s exposed hand to find, as he had suspected, more specks of blood and “sugar”.

 

“Hyung…”

 

Seunghyun quickly stood to exit, not even bothering to bid a proper farewell.

 

“See you at the wedding.” 

 


 

Aight~ So if ya'll nooblets dint get what was going onnnn, Seunghyun was acting all bat insane because he was literally on crack. The defacto is he turned to drug abuse because he couldn't find any other way to deal with his sister's diagnosis. Jiyong eventually figures this out at the end.

 

THIS WAS RANDOM AND WEIRD AND IF YOU HATE IT TOO BAD BECAUSE I KNOW MY ONE FRIEND WHO WAS "TOP" IS GONNA LOVE IT

 

All the dialogue in this is what we actually said. Obviously, my friend was not on crack (maybe weed but not crack LOL JKS I DID NOT SAY THAT), but the way she acted out breaking the bad news was oddly comedic, probs because she felt so nervous. Playing "GD", I felt extremely awkward and didn't know whether to go along with her upbeat attitude or keep apologising, mirrored by Jiyong's hesistant state of mind in this story. We eventually stopped because this scenario, suggested by the textbook, was just too ing weird. Who the hell would even come up with that kind of twisted ?