The beginning

Twists of Fate

Evening. It was a beautiful summer evening; a fresh wind went through the heated streets of South Korea in which could be spotted a constant traffic of people with frozen drinks on hand and sunglasses, conversations being followed by laughs, loud music, people in a rush because they didn't want to be late to their lunch or work. It was a beautiful summer evening, a common one being honest.

However, two boys were immersed in their own imagination, being surrounded by that hectic world. Two boys that were best friends since the first day of classes in which one of them noticing the loneliness of the other decided happily to approach with the phrase: “Hey, what’s your name? Would you like to be my best friend?”; two boys that despite the fights and disagreements had remained together until the end, and now… Well, now they were sitting in that bus, observing that beautiful and hectic summer evening, towards their future.

They had planned so many things after finishing school, and now was the moment of making them reality, together, just how they had sentenced.

“Yah! Let me go, let me go!” The young boy with round cheeks exclaimed with a big grin and eyes closed because of the excitement while moving his arms trying to get off both of the hands that his best friend had in his face. The ones that were pinching those cheeks in a childish way. “At the University no one is going to believe that you are twenty, MinSeok!”. Exclaimed the boy with black tortoiseshell glasses while letting go the cheeks of his partner.

“Well if they think so or not, doesn’t matter to me! Besides, I’m your hyung, you have to respect me!” Exclaimed the reddish haired boy and raised his hands to rub slowly at his already red cheeks. “You’re a bad best friend, JongDae.”

“Chen, I’ve already told you to call me Chen!” Exclaimed the other one as he was adjusting his short-sleeve shirt until it seemed that it had no sleeves. “Wow! Two years in a University with no name in our beautiful natal village and now… Look at us! We were both accepted at the Seoul National University!” Said looking forward letting out a huge sigh with a big smile painted on his lips.

“Yes, almost impossible to believe it … I didn’t think that they were going to validate all of our courses… We would be going to join in for third year… Wow, we truly strived ourselves, didn’t we?”

“Are you kidding me?” Asked the tall and young one while arching an eyebrow at the elder as he was crossing his arms. “We didn’t go out to parties, didn’t drink, we did no more than work in burger shops and malls in order to save up a little money for when we got accepted with a full scholarship! Now we only have to give all our effort and that’s it. We deserve it. MinSeokie ~” He said very confidently as he turned his face to the front and let out a satisfaction sigh.

The elder just nodded with his head and turned his sight to the window, he felt the fresh air crash with his cheeks not being able to stop an exited smile appearing on his lips, illuminating his face. He closed his eyes wrinkled his nose and raised both of his hands while moving his feet stomping the floor of the bus because of the cheerfulness as he repressed a notorious cry that stayed in his throat.

The anxiety was obvious.

Those suitcases of different shapes little unpainted bags for being washed several times that were

laying on the floor rolled a bit at the time the bus stopped. They had arrived in a matter of… well, hours, however for Minseok the ride was too fast, he swore that a couple of minutes before he felt how his mother was hugging him against her body and cried exited and sad because of his departure.

“JongDa-“

“CHEN!.”

“Chen, we’ve already arrived”

“You don’t say!”

“Yes I’m say-… Oh.” He halts himself realizing the sarcasm that the other had told him while he puffed his cheeks and frowned staying in his seat.

“… You see why I can’t make good jokes with you?” Asked the taller boy as he by laughing raised himself out of his seat and grabbed two enormous suitcases while hanging onto his shoulder bag as the driver opened the doors for the two of them to get down. “Yah! Hyung let’s go.”

“I-I’m coming!”

Between exited smiles both of the best friends went out of that bus chatting about irrelevant things dragging their suitcases and speculating what kind of people they were going to meet at the University.

Register, congratulations, gratefulness and that’s it, both of the boys were on the way to their room with their keys on hand.

It was the beginning of what they think is the rest of their lives.