Chapter 3: Underlying and Unspoken

Reaping the Phoenix

a:n/ be sure to read the a/n at the end ^^ enjoy~ p.s sorry for typos, i wanted this up asap so i will edit tomorrow orz

 

--

 

His hands were seething with blood, not of his own but the rotted pigment of fallen tributes, begging for the non-existent mercy that was never an element to the Games.



He was drenched in the blood, the decaying-salty smell staining his body, traumatised by his virtual surrounding that seemed ever so real.

 

The feeling of the blood, not just his own that were to gush out of his own wounds but of others, the thick liquids merging together as they slide down his face, his arms and his legs.

 

And the same infested blood continued to trail its way downwards, slithering its way down his hands, to his fingers. But then, through to the sharp edge of the weapon he had at hand; it’s urging hunger for the craving of more human flesh.

 

Lifting the weapon up, the boy glanced a look at his reflection through the smudged fluid and the remnant of human flesh punctured on the weaponry. There he saw a person, but a person that he did not recognise. Because this isn’t the person Byun Baekhyun was. From the heavily embedded scars amongst his body to his hair; repulsive chunks of earth’s soil along with ripped strands that were dying away. His eyes were not burning with determination but with the lust for manslaughter- and this was the man that he feared to be.

 

Through the peripheral view of his weaponry, he could see a blitzing light; an orange light reflecting itself against the tainted weapon. He turned around, only to meet warmth, a familiar worth.

 

Despite the cascading shadows, illuminating him from the man that had opposed him, he knew well and truly who that very boy was; the familiar warmth that radiated from his chest, the height difference. But most infirmly, the eyes that seemed to ignite oneself- the strongest light of the shrouded universe he was in. The burning passion he sensed in his eyes, eyes that never left his as it continued to burn with a sort of determination.

 

He looked at the weapon he had held in his hands again, only to see his reflection again. This time, he saw his eyes- a soft autumn, brown colour. And he felt it too. Like a puzzle piece that had been missing for what seemed like an eternity finally pieced where it belonged; the feeling of finally being complete for once.

He looked back up to the man in front of him, still illuminated in the dark. He was of walking distance away yet the distance seemed to be too much; too out of reach for Baekhyun to reach. He felt too weak to do anything, to make the first move.

 

Baekhyun was too weak to make the first few steps, so the taller shadow decided to approach him.

 

Despite wanting to oh so desperately be with the taller male that was approaching him with open arms, he found it easier to step back, found it easier to create some sort of rift. He found it easier to escape problems that to face them head on, so though to hope that time will erase whatever calamity it has created.

 

He longed to meet the shadow half way, but he was afraid to ask for more, to ask for any more than the things that he had already gotten himself involved in.

 

But inevitably, despite all efforts Baekhyun put in running away, aimlessly waltzing away, the taller shadow still always made it to him.

 

Then, the shadow had gathered him into his arms, the familiar warm arms and just like that, there was no way around what he has grown to fall into. He may have tried to forget, but he had never forgot.

 

“I’m doing this for you.”

The dark voice was like music to his ears, just like the one voice of the person he longed to have.

 

In that moment, Baekhyun thought that maybe just this once, he could break the boarders, all the walls and fake-willpower he had. Maybe it was okay to be weak once and fawn in the misery of what the evil of the world has done to him and how incompetently it has effect his family and their views on life.

 

He leaned his head on the broader shoulders, taking in the peachy scent and taking note of how the crook of the neck seemed to perfectly sculpted for his personal usage.

The shadow’s bigger hands found his fingers, holding a firm hold of them. At at moment, it seemed like whatever hardships he had come to face in life vanquished away. Life was hard and merciless, but that is why we come to make the most of it.

 

It’s really interesting, how everything he saw at this moment seemed to symbolise so much, showcasing the unspoken words and underlying meanings of mysterious actions. It symbolised too much, Baekhyun believed but he couldn’t deny the part of him that wished this was foreshadowing the potential, bright future that was to come, maybe in years and years’ time, or maybe even in a few days.

 

“Chanyeol…”

“I’m doing this for you.”

 

Baekhyun wasn’t able to question what he meant because before his eyes, a drop of blood made its way down the taller boys mouth. Looking down, the weapon he had in in arm was only half seen, the other half pierced through the waist of the taller boy. Chanyeol’s hands were around his own, pushing deeper and deeper into his own wound.

 

And true fear demonstrated itself as he saw the boy fall to his knees but feel down with pride, as if he were accomplished of something he had done. His smile never left his face as he still kept eye contact with a discomposed Baekhyun.

 

“I’m doing this for you.”

“CHANYEEOOOOOOL-

 

“CHANYEOL.”

 

Baekhyun sat up and frantically took in his surroundings. A room, only filled with the luxury of mahogany interior along with the skimming of train tracks welcomed him. Not even a second ago, he had sworn he was scavenging in the depths of the artificial surroundings of the arena. Everything seemed so real, from the details, to his dream, even to the death.

 

He stared out the window, seeing nothing but the pitch blackness of the train's tunnel, the broken blinking lights having spasms once in a while. The entire train was silent, if only the sound of the moving train skiing on thin rails weren’t evident.

 

He felt a sharp pain around his neck, slowly caressing the abused areas as he make out the finger marks that temporarily tattooed itself a purple pigment against his neck. The moment before the train seemed to come back to him. Despite the fact that he wasn’t able to say his final goodbyes one more time, part of his mind was reminding him of something else that seemed so much more important.

 

His saviour.

 

It was then that he took note that there was a weight weighting his arm down on the corner of the bed, like a soft plush clamming itself against his own. His mind, nor his heart was ready to be exploited to the view he had by his side.

 

A Chanyeol, sleeping beside the bed , half his body on the floor whilst his arms and head were hanging on the edge of the bed. His main features seemed to soften in sleep but the optimist smile seemed to forever be embedded on him. Because here slept an angel, to Baekhyun. Chanyeol sleeping was one thing, but one more factor seemed to cut his breathing uneven.

 

Even though his sleep, the taller boy on the floor had one of his hands protective clasped around Baekhyun’s, the weight in which he felt at hand. Occasionally, despite being too oblivious to his own actions, gave a reassuring squeeze to their intertwined hands once in a while.

 

“I can’t imagine such a soft image like you fighting in the harsh dangers of the Games…’

 

His thoughts were left to ponder on about later on as he watched the boy below him grumble in his sleep, slowly lifting his head up as he blinked his eyes a couple of times. Judging from the long period of time Baekhyun seemed to be out, the taller boy’s back must have ached painfully from the extended amount of time napping in an uncomfortable position. Part of Baekhyun was dreading to have to face Chanyeol after being the only one to witness Chanyeol’s exchange into death’s arms in his dreams, yet a part of him felt painfully relief that it was all just a dream, and maybe he could spend a last moment with Chanyeol before he was sent to his own death.

 

But he knew that there were deeper meanings in his dream than just a pitiful death, he knew there was more.

 

“B-Baekhyun?!”

 

“Hi…” At confronting moments like these, rather than putting a strong front, it occurred to the smaller boy that every capability of mottling up words seemed to vanquish away. The jumbled emotions, the unhealthy beating of his heart- it all seemed to overwhelming for Baekhyun to take.

 

The smaller boy didn’t know how long he had seemed to space out but the impact of being collected into a broad, warm chest of the boy awakened him from the so-called spell he was under.  Baekhyun was taken back, suddenly being gathered into such strength as the familiar scent of fruits welcomed him. After all these years, he had still retained the addictive scent that Baekhyun had grown to adore. It had been a while since he was the one receiving a hug from someone else, but he couldn’t deny his fluttering stomach from the foreign feeling of such affection. And maybe it felt even better because these were the same warm arms that always caught him when he was in need.

 

“Thank god you’re okay, I don’t know what I would have done to myself if you were badly hurt.”

 

Chanyeol then squeezed even tighter, as if so desperately scared that Baekhyun was to die any second. Chanyeol stayed like that for a few minutes, unaware of a heavily blushing Baekhyun that tried to ignore the current situation. The taller boy than realised the extent of his actions as he felt the smaller boys hair amongst his own skin, speedily gathering himself up as he stood up straight. Baekhyun fawned at the loss of warm and feeling of protectiveness, but he knew it was for the best.

 

 

Chanyeol scratched the back of his messy locks, seemingly embarrassed of his little truthful confession.

“I-I’m sorry I did that…it seemed like it’s been a while since I’ve hugged you yeah? Hahaha...We’ll I guess you can say I’m just really relieved that you’re okay. Just thinking of what that dirty mutt did to you before...just disgusted me. If only I was there a little earlier..”

 

Baekhyun saw how the taller boy’s eyes burnt with not desire, but with hatred of disgust as the taller boy his palm, imprinting finger nail marks as he continuously applied pressure.

 

“I promise anything like that won’t happen again because you are my responsibility, you are mine. And I’m doing this for you.”

 

Baekhyun tensed up at the end of the sentence, the irony of his worst creating a sort of fear as his he felt his arms tremble, shaking uncomfortably as he tried to calm his nerves. It was those words that prohibited him from saying simple words. There was millions of things he wanted to say to Chanyeol, millions of words he wanted to confess to him, but all seemed to be clogged up, stuck at the bottom of this throat.

 

“Th-th-t-t-tha-“

Even a simple thank you for practically saving his life seemed like an impossible task to do. Any verbal tasks that required talking to the other boy seemed to be impossible.

 

All the other boy did was smile, and lightly pat the smaller boy’s shoulder.

 

“No need to thank you, it was an essential for me to save you. But maybe as a thank you, you could work on talking to me more? No more hiding and distancing yourself. Let’s call truce okay?”

 

And Chanyeol didn’t wait for an answer as he made his way out of this room to run his own errands on the moving train, and Baekhyun was grateful for that. Unknown to Baekhyun, a grateful  smile was blossoming on his face as frolicked the part of his waist that Chanyeol had hugged him, still feeling part of the hug from not so long ago.

 

Despite the trouble he knew he was getting himself get into for loving, maybe doing so was worth it. Just maybe, it was worth the inevitable pain that was to come if he were to feel weak sometimes. Maybe it was okay to break the chains of resentment. Maybe it was okay to feel weak sometimes. Maybe.

 

--

 

Deciding that it was about time he got back on his feet and explored his surroundings just a bit, he waltzed his way out of his room, taking in the urban-inspired decorations of the train. He was taking his time, examining the expensive interior as he ran his toes over the carpeted floor. Turning a corner, he carelessly collided with another woman, quickly to help her up and apologize.

 

It was the cake-faced lady that announced the tributes back then. In this moment, she had a lot less make up in contrast to the reaping ceremony, and Baekhyun had to admit, it was sad that she had to hide her natural beauty with such disgusting clown face-paint. But her whacky fashion sense remained the same as he saw her wearing an obnoxiously-bright, peacock coat, the features spiking up at the back.

 

“AHHHHH here’s our sleeping beauty; I’ve been looking for you. It’s time for lunch! It’ll be a while before we’ll be able to reach the Capitol so let’s fill those belly’s up shall we.

 

She had a nice smile and a positively, happy demeanour radiating around her. She reached a hand out, where Baekhyun stared down at her manicured fingers along with her fake nail extensions.

 

“I guess with all the drama going on, I wasn’t able to formally introduce myself. It’s an honour to stand before you. My name is Lizzy and I’ll be one of two of your mentor’s for your time in this year’s Hunger Games.”

 

If she was one of the two people that were to help Baekhyun get through this ride and fight through the survival of the games than despite not wanting to know more about her; he really had no option.

 

“Hi…I’m Baekhyun…”

 

“Of course I know that silly billy, now let’s go, we don’t want our luxurious food to be devoured by other people.  And that cute little boyfriend of yours is waiting for you.”

 

“H-he’s not my-“

 

And of course, with a person as energetic as Lizzy, Baekhyun’s words we left unheard as Lizzy began rambling on and on about random features here and there of the latest Games. Lizzy is a Rambling Girl.

 

--

 

“Our princess has awakened!”

 

To think that Lizzy couldn’t get any more facepalming, she skipped her way towards the table as she made her own way to the large dining table. The table was

 

To the ends of the table, he caught sight of Chanyeol politely eating as he brought the folk to and from his meal. Finally noting the smaller boy’s presence in the room, his eyes were to quickly move to all of Baekhyun’s action, kindly gesturing for the boy to sit in front of him. Slowly walking towards the table, the proximity between the two increased with each shaky step; and it seemed that breathing also became a mission as the steps make him closer and closer and closer, until-

 

“So how are you feeling now, Baekhyun?”

 

The slight hesitation in the answer was evident, but nevertheless an answer as given; and Chanyeol felt gratitude for that.

‘I-I’m good, thank you.”

 

“Ah, will you look at that, we’re making process, but let’s take it slow okay, no rushing into things? And don’t be so formal, Baekkie, let’s be like our childish self like we were back then! We were glued together by the waist.”

 

A part of Chanyeol regret saying some of the things as he saw part of Baekhyun’s mood falter, desperately hiding his true feelings hiding a smiling façade. Did he say something wrong? Should he not have brought their childhood in the past up? Something about his waist maybe? Whatever it was, Chanyeol didn’t want to press on too much about he as he told Baekhyun to take eat healthily and fill himself up.

 

Despite the very quiet atmosphere of their surroundings with Lizzy’s voice echoing in the background. Currently, she was organising some things whilst scavenging around for their other mentor. No words were exchanged amongst the two tributes, but surprisingly, it was a comfortable silence. The two would steal glances at each other once and a while, with Chanyeol occasionally moving some of Baekhyun’s favourite side dishes. It may have been a long time, but Chanyeol never forgot.

 

Watching the boy eat, he saw Baekhyun slowly separating the cucumbers off the different cuisines that were laid out amongst them and just laughed at the boy. Baekhyun really didn’t like cucumbers; he never did. The unpleasant smell accompanied with the obnoxious tone of green made it terribly off putting to Baekhyun, and the taller boy well and truly knew that. He had been like this since they were little kids- a not-so-very-amused little Baekhyun pouting as he was forced-fed disgusting cucumbers because that was all their family could afford.

 

“Still hating cucumbers, I see.”

The sudden booming voice seemed to distract him from the task that was set in front of him of removing the disgusting vegetable that was contaminating his food. Part of him was still questioning whether he should really approach Chanyeol. After all, he had spent all those years trying to fade away from everyone’s life- more specifically, Chanyeol’s- for that one particular reason that he was unwilling to confess. No yet.

 

Before he could even open a fraction of his mouth to answer, the sliding doors of the electronic-sensing doors were forcefully wedgie open by hand. The view that came after was not pleasant either.

A man with an intimidating height, possibly taller than Chanyeol himself, tripped his way through the door, a bottle of alcohol at hand as he trudged his way towards the table. Waddling his way towards the dining table, he seemed to have lost all capabilities of basic coordination as he clumsily knocked photo frames onto the carpet floor whilst bumping into random people, not even bothering to say sorry after.

 

“Ayo, waddup.” The intruder spoke up.

Now supporting his weight against the wall, he had an arm massaging the terrible ache that stormed into inside his head as the other worked to avariciously chug down more of the drink that seemed to be whisky.

Baekhyun frowned as he raised a brow at the sudden intruder, wandering what significance he had to be here, let alone be able to board the train to head off to the Capitol. His disgusting entrance also repulsed Baekhyun, his shirt terribly creased as the buttons were displaced; marks of drench stains staining themselves on the shirt. Not only that but the repulsive stench of alcohol that radiated off his shirt was too gross to pass aside.

Chanyeol too, was nothing but impressed. To have such a terrible first impression and introduction was by far extremely inconsiderate and rude to Chanyeol; and this man was no exception.

 

It was only until Lizzy, with her exotic clothing, made her way towards the drunk male, slapping his head with her purse as she scolded him for being so unprofessional.

“Aish, you idiot. Just because we have free drinks at the minibar, doesn’t mean you should tamper with the privilege!”

“I make the most of what I get for free.”

“Ugh you’re such a dirty pig. I swear to god, you smell like freaking road kill!”

“Lizzy, stop being such a whiny .”

“Then stop being such a low-life alcoholic, aish jinjja.”

 

The two kids seemed to have been forgotten as Lizzy turned to roll her eyes, finally realising that the two tributes have just witnessed the tiny fight.

 

“I’m sorry, kids, that you have to deal with such a burden here but I guess you will find out sooner or later. So, here is your other mentor that I had mentioned about before, Kris. He will be your superior Mentor who will mentor you through your training that leads up to the games.

 

Baekhyun stared unbelievably at this man that stood before him. He was their superior mentor. That pretty much meant that this boy had won and was a surviving veteran of a previous Game.  Judging by his slightly young yet mature features, he was amusing that he had won one that was not long ago.

 

“And, supposedly this superior right here is supposed to lead through to survival?” Baekhyun’s voice was filled with nothing but bitterness and sarcasm. Part of him already resented the fact that the man who dared show up drunk with not the bit of shame but the other half resented him for leading his life in such a way after being given a second chance of life due to winning the games. If Baekhyun’s father would have won, he would have used it for a better purpose than this pathetic excuse of a human being that displayed himself as Baekhyun’s ‘superior Mentor’.

 

Kris, who was inattentive to the heat of the situation, tried to join in with the conversation as he added in some remarks about how amazing the game would be this year.

“Ugh I just can’t wait for this year’s games, imagine the amazement and fun of the games! Especially watching it! It would be an honour to be a part of it!”

 

Chanyeol knew best about Baekhyun’s views on the subject of the Games so after hearing such a badly worded statement, he went to Baekhyun’s side before the boy could lounged himself at Kris, but there was no stopping the storm.

 

A loud slap was given across the others face as he fought his way to the Kris who seemed to sober up a little. If it weren’t for Lizzy and the few dozen of workers that held him back, Kris would have been gone before they would have made it half way to the Capitol.

 

“YOU THINK IT’S ALL FUN AND GAMES WATCHING THE LIVES OF INNOCENT CHILDREN FIGHT FOR THEIR OWN EXISTENCE? AND YOU CONSIDER THAT ING HONOUR? YOU CAPITOLS ARE NOTHING BUT MANIPULATIVE CREATURES THAT LACK EMPATHY FOR THE LIVES OF THE MANY CHILDREN THAT SACRIFICE THEIR LIVES FOR YOUR OWN ING ENTERTAINMENT. WE ALL HAD FUTURES, ALL PLANNED OUT AND WE EVEN HAD FAMILY AND PEOPLE WERE LOVED ENDLESSLY. BUT THESE GAMES JUST HAD TO MAKE OUR LIVES A ROLLER COASTER RIDE. OH HOW MUCH I LONGED TO LOVE. HOW MUCH I LONGED.”

 

Baekhyun stopped as he said those words. Part of the words that he wished were never to be heard by the ears of others seemed to have forced their way out. And maybe he shouldn’t have retraced the words he said, because it was then that he really understood the extent of his underlying desires for love; the love from just one specific person.

 

Turning to look at a very shocked Chanyeol who also seemed to be at loss of words from the sudden outburst of the truth, he decided that he couldn’t take any more of this. He was practically done with not only the Capitol, but himself. And so he did what he was best at. He ran away from his problem.

 

--

a/n: OKAY FIRST OF ALL IM SO SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A TERRIBLE AUTHOR AND NOT UPDATING FOR SO LONG ;___; since i have school and the way and all i don't get the time to read as much, let alone write OTL but i'm on holidays at the moment and have two weeks off of school so i can going to make the most of it >< but i hope this 4K word update makes up for my lack of updates OTL more updates will be made in these few days and hopefully be more frequent >< but thank you for those who were patient and subbed to this story, love you all <3

anyways, that aside, now we are introduced to two new characters, Lizzy from After School /my beautiful bias omg~ did anyone see the After School Rambling Girl's pun i used?/ and of course, our Galaxy Fanfan, Kris <> u <>

 

                                                 

 

What will happen next? Will these mentors prevail? Stay tuned for more /i promise to update soon this time AHAHAHA/

 

-Tia <3