Chapter 2 : Warm Arms

Reaping the Phoenix

Peace was never easy, not for the likes of the citizens of District 12. But there was still a sliver of hope that it could be found, maybe even created. But certainly, you can find it in that certain someone. 


In the midst of chaos and inhumanity that is known as life, there was peace for Baekhyun. He was young and naive, basking in the moment and not having to considering the unpredicted future. He had a loving family that taught him simple yet deep lessons of the importance of family and the importance of keeping those close to you at heart. Despite this, despite his family, Baekhyun did have that certain someone.


It's amazing how someone so special to you could mean absolutely nothing to others. Baekhyun's certain someone wasn't the absolute fittest, he didn't have perfect features to absolutely everyone's eyes, nor was he an openly social butterfly. But Baekhyun couldn't help but leave all those flaws over to the side, if not, enhancing them. Because all the 'flaws' to Baekhyun, just added up to how perfect and beautiful of a person he was. His messy hair that blew in thousands of directs as the wind blows, the cute button nose that he would scrunch up when they had they little play-quarrels, the elf like ears that contrasted with his giant self, but what stood out the most were the eyes. Eyes that would stare deep, as if mesmerised. Eyes that caused Baekhyun to skip a beat of his drumming heart as he longed to feel lip against lip with the male in front of him. Because Baekhyun knew. They both knew. The eyes longed to say 'I love you.'


Even from a young age, they have been tagging along each other, out of the boarders of their district in a hunt for wildlife to feed off their family, despite that being a violation to the Capitol's curriculum. Because to them, sometimes when people steal from you, you have to steal back in order to survive.


Here their fathers taught them how to hunt and how to survive, from harsh conditions of the outback to the many plants and surrounding environment that could potentially help them escape death.


Here they laughed and joked, teaching each other how to hunt for food. Baekhyun had always been fond of archery as his father was quite the archer man himself, but Baekhyun had to admit, he was much better. Well, that's what he wanted to believe because that was what he's certain someone told him.


This someone wasn't too good with archery, he preferred throwing knives. He loved the recoil wind that brushed through his fingers as the sounds of metal swinging in the air satisfied him, much like when he hit the target of a moving animal.


After their long training session as well as collection of animals, the two would just stare up at the empty blue sky whilst their fathers made their way back. Baekhyun would lean on his elbow, looking down at the beautiful boy below him as he comfortably closed his eyes with a content smile, loving the breeze of the fresh air that brushed on his sweaty skin. 


They say love makes you blind, but Baekhyun thought that was a misinterpretation. Because Baekhyun's eyes have fully opened up. He understood the importance of keeping those close to you, not physically, but by heart. Because if you couldn't keep the people around you close for long, keep them in your heart, because they'll stay there.


But time moves on and innocence is lost. Reality stabs you and the back and leaves you isolated.


With the death of his father, peace was left to waltz in the past and everything was replaced by regret.


Baekhyun was naive, but now he knew the unjust of the world. He began to question the people around him, question the meaning of having to exist any longer. But most dreadfully, he started to question the life lessons. 


He painfully scarred his certain someone have to see Baekhyun lose the glimmer in his eyes day by day, fearing that he would leave his side. And just like fading colours, the light in his eyes dimmed as Baekhyun started fading away, distancing himself from the people around him.


And that certain someone never got to see those eyes that would flash back 'I love you' to him again, because those eyes were always filled with pained tears.


Chanyeol never got to see those eyes again.


--


"WOW! A volunteer? I believe this is the first to ever occur in this district?!"


Baekhyun coudln't even believe what was happened but by the time he had regained conscious to his actions, he was far to late to do anything.


The Peacekeepers released Baekbeom as he sprinted his way into Baekhyuns arms, falling into Baekhyun as the older brother was on his knees. Baekbeom, with extremely shaky arms, circled his older brother's neck as he cried into his nape, the only place that made him feel secure. He took in the scent of his brother as he continued hugging closer and closer, fearing to ever have to let go.


Baekhyun had to be strong, he had too. Vulnerability was not an option. He wasn't going to let his younger brother see him cry, not like what his mother does. He needed to be strong. For the family.


Baekhyun patted Baekbeom's hair and it hurt him even more to have to pull away.


'You're safe now...take care.'


With that, Baekhyun stood on his feet and walked towards the podium, not daring to look back. It was too painful to look back, having to look at his younger brother desperately clawing his way to seek comfort from his brother, having to see his mother go mentality insane from post-trauma, but mostly, not having to see the face of the boy he longed to be with for years.


'Live a good life and find someone perfect...'


He made his way to the podium as he turned to face the audience. He glanced to where all the kids were standing, all young and innocent as they started back with naive demeanours. It haunted Baekhyun to think that this was the same position his own father was in, looking back down at the younger Baekhyun from the podium.


"Well, could be give a huge round if applause to our courageous warrior?!"


The district stayed pitch silent, but the silence screeched deathly. Slowly, the entire district lifted their arms to their first finger of their right hand and kissed it, before lifting their thumb high in the air.


Baekhyun stared back down at the thousands upon thousands of children, adults, even elderly people shower him with the salute. It was an extremely old salute that was rarely ever used, representing honour and pride of a sacrifice. It meant that although you may enter the bloody battlefield, we will be there with you, through all the suffering and deaths. Because we are one.


The scanned the area, seeing his little brother doing the same as his eyes continuously rained with tears as he continued hyperventilating. But what stood out most was the burning eyes that burned ever brightly than usual, despite the tears riding down his soft cheeks, each tear ripping Baekhyun's heart into millions of shreds. What was more haunting was the fact that the same burning eyes were moving closer and closer, moving into the direction of the podium. The dreaded Baekhyun to know what would happen next and what he longly feared most flashed in front of his eyes.


"I, Park Chanyeol, also volunteer as tribute."


--


'No no no no please this can't be happening to me.'


The ceremony was finally over and Baekhyun was held in custody to be taken on the train to the Capitol. Despite the beautiful, futuristic interior around him, Baelhyun just couldn't keep his mind straight. It was messed up and jumbled with mixed feelings and emotions. He was happy, happy that he was able to protect his little brother and give him another chance at life, but he was also scared. He was in fear and the fear overcame him. He didn't know what to expect, but most painfully, he feared for Chanyeol now.


Thinking about himself was besides the point at the moment. He hated the fact that his heart still pounded yearningly for that one boy he couldn't seem to let go. He hated the fact how he felt so hopelessly infatuated by the other, dangerously in love. 


Baekhyun was feeling a huge headache storm in his head as he placed his hands on his aching mind, easing the inner turmoil. At times like this, Baekhyun just wanted someone to hug him tight and come through his head, just like he did to his brother and mother. But he needed to be selfless, he had to stay strong.


'Don't forget your purpose, Byun.'


Just then, the door opened, followed by his mother and little brother. He scooped both of them into his arms as they cried on his shoulders. He moved to Baekbeom specially and gave him the same reassuring smile, possibly the last.


"You've grown so much in these past few years, it is a gratitude to have watched you come this far. But now I hand it to you. You are the big boy of the family now and you'll be the responsibility now okay?"


Baekhyun combed his fringe to the side as his brother took his slinger hands with his smaller ones, placing an object much familiar to their eyes.


"It's the Phoenix pin...know that when you are out there, facing the terrors of what to come, know that you can stand up and right back...the sign of resilience...the sign of a Phoenix...like Chanyeol.."


Baekhyun, not wanting to cry, held his brother close to him, but he knew better to keep him closer elsewhere. In his heart, because he'll never leave him there.


He stood up and craddled in mother, who was absolutely devastated. She held him by the cheeks and stared straight into his eyes, as if searching for the lost soul dwelling in his body.


"Come back for us...I don't want to lose another one..."


"One of us will be back...."


Despite not being specific on what he meant, his mother already knew what he implied.


"One of us." 


--


The sun in the sky was setting. Baekhyun always hated the sight of it. The industrial mining buildings and heavily polluted air heavily effected it's overly tranquility, but now, he was savouring the little things about his tiny District because who knows, this could be the last time he would be seeing such a waste, a waste he grew up in.


Baekhyun made his way to the train, bringing along a scarce around of clothes with some framed photos and of course, the Phoenix pin.


It was getting dark and he had already made it to the deserted train station. It was always empty, considering it was only used once a year to transport tributes. At the moment, he was the only one there, early as always. What he didn't expect was some company.


"Well, well, well, if it isn't that of a so-called saviour."


Baekhyun turned around, surprised to see the same Peacekeeper that he had er punched in the face. The man hand a patch on his face along with a devilry smirk, but Baekhyun wasn't just going to sit there and take verbal abuse, despite his body shivering from the intimidating character.


"Nice bruise you got there. Makes your face a tiny but more bearable to look at. As if your face isn't ed up enough."


It all happened in a matter of seconds, but Baekhyun's back was against the train, gasping for air as he had rough hands pushing down on his neck.


"You er. If you're going to use that mouth of yours for that, then that'll be a waste. I know a better use for it, and that's to pleasure me. A like you deserves a lesson, a rough lesson."


Baekhyun felt teeth on his collarbones as he cried and gasped for breath. He looked around and saw no one around, yet he needed help. So he yelled out the first name that came up in his mind.


"CHANYEOOOOOOOOL."


That was all it took as Baekhyun saw the Peacekeeper knocked out cold on the floor as he saw his saviour. He lightly smiled, only to last for a few seconds as the world around him became dark. He fell into the strong hands of the person he longed for, and if he was conscious, he would have known how right it felt. His arms were blazing warm.

 

 


--

 

 

SO LIKE I HAVENT SLEPT FOR 24 HOURS AND I AM SLOWLY AND SLOWLY LOSING MY SANITY LIKE SAHGSHGSAHSGA -ahem- omg keeping up with fanfics and school is one hell of a commitment OTL

ANYWAYS BAEKYEOL DRAMA AJSAJHSAAS you guys want to know why all of this is happening bet went him? Soz youre gonna have to wait <> u <> GUYS THERES DRAMA BUT I SWEAR I WILL GIVE YOU SOME LOVING MOMENTS, BARE WITH ME PLZ

but yeah, let me know if you're enjoying at the moment because I feel like a potato righting this and omg I'm so tired that I'm gonna die and I can't think straight to excuse my very undetailed writing OTL

I will edit when I am not dead tired OTL thanks for the support guys <3 hope you're enjoying ATM ^^ more to come :D