The Camera

Of Stage Lights

 

Sungjong met Dongwoo in front of the Kim Mansion as planned. The butler looked a bit uneasy about letting him search the bedrooms when none of the occupants were present but Sungjong told him that it was important to find the key thief.

“Whoever stole the keys could kill your master next and we don’t want that,” he had told him.

Dongwoo, who was eternally loyal to Mr. Kim, didn’t need any more persuasion. Sungjong felt a bit guilty about manipulating the gullible butler, but he had to do it for the sake of the case. And he wasn’t being completely dishonest – there was always a possibility that the thief was after more than the key.

The detective had a rough picture of what had happened in his head, but it was still very bleak with lots of frames missing and many more lights yet to turn on. He didn’t know what he was looking for in the bedrooms but he was searching for a ray of light – a lead, a clue - anything.

Sungjong didn’t want to rush with the searching but Dongwoo had informed him that Suzy and Jaemin could be back in a few hours. So he tried to hurry it up, as fast as he could while looking for nothing specific. He was actually making good time and was onto the last room, Myungsoo and Suzy’s, in 3 hours. It was locked and he had to ask Dongwoo to use his masterkey, which the butler did reluctantly.

The search in the other rooms had provided him with some things that he figured would be important but it also messed up his current train of thoughts. He hoped he would find something substantial in Myungsoo and Suzy’s room that would help to tie it all together – after all, these two had to be the most interesting characters of this play.

He had only got to the bedside table when he saw a new object that he hadn’t seen yesterday. It was a small blue velvet box, which he picked up carefully. It looked old, the color had faded and the velvet was moth-eaten at places. He forced the lid open. Sitting within more blue velvet was a diamond ring – the size of the diamond suited the Kim’s reputation.

Something clicked in his mind and he was about shout “Eureka!” when the door opened and the owner of the room entered. Myungsoo was just as shocked to see Sungjong as he was to see the other. He couldn’t believe Dongwoo had betrayed him, unless Myungsoo had just felt uneasy and come home sooner than he would usually come. He wasn't expecting for another 6 hours, according to Dongwoo's calculations.

“What – how did you get into my room?” Myungsoo demanded. His eyes trailed down to Sungjong’s hand which was holding the jewelry box.

The detective smiled sweetly at him.

“Myungsoo, what a surprise! Firstly, it’s really not Dongwoo’s fault, I asked him for a favor. You know I’m a detective and I just needed to double-check some things.”

Myungsoo was still staring at the velvet box in his hand.

“Sorry, I just found it lying here. Your engagement ring?”

His lips trembled.

“My – my mother’s wedding ring.”

“Of course. And I believe Suzy is going to have this?”

He silently extended his arm for the box and Sungjong put it in his palm. He put it in his pocket and said, “Well if there’s nothing else…”

“There is something else actually.”

Sungjong’s voice dropped to a seductive whisper and he inched closer to him. Myungsoo froze at the close proximity and his lips moved frantically as if he was trying to speak but no sound came out. Sungjong took a step forward and suddenly Myungsoo, who was stubbornly looking at the floor, blushed. He took his cheeks in his hand and forced his head up so that they were looking at each other, Myungsoo visibly shaking. Smirking, he pushed his face forward until their lips were touching softly while Myungsoo’s whole body vibrated against his. He dropped the box and the next moment Sungjong felt Myungsoo reciprocate, his hands snaking over his waist.

“Yeah, that’ll be all.” The detective pushed Myungsoo off of him, then bent down to pick up the box. “I believe this is yours.”

He handed Myungsoo the box, and smiling at him once more, walked out of the room while the other stood paralysed.

He met Dongwoo on the way out. The butler looked apologetic.

“I didn’t know he’d be home so soon.”

“It’s okay, it was actually useful. Thanks for your help, I’ll be taking my leave now. I hope to sort this thing out soon. Just keep an eye out for anything and inform me if anything seems suspicious.”

He was about to leave when Dongwoo said softly, “There is something else actually.”

Sungjong looked at him questioningly as the butler fumbled with his sleeve.

“Actually…I – well there’s this - I mean…”

“Dongwoo?”

It was Suzy. She was back from her day at the spa. Swinging her purse casually, she paused in front of the two of them, glaring slightly at the butler before smiling at Sungjong.

“So, is the detective here to see me?”

“I had a chat with Myungsoo actually but look at your luck! Anyways I will have to leave now. See you later, Miss Bae.”

Suzy sneered.

“I bet Myungsoo loved it”

“Pardon?”

“How about dinner, detective?”

Sungjong shrugged his shoulders.

“Maybe, after I solve the case.”

He didn’t give Suzy a second chance to speak – he walked rapidly towards the main gate, wondering what Dongwoo would have said to him. Was it something he already knew? If not, then what sort of secret the butler had wanted to divulge? Sighing, he thought how Suzy's timing was impeccable.

He had made some interesting discoveries today and it seemed like Woohyun was right about Myungsoo. rather than the presence of things, he was more surprised by the absence of a few things. Now the picture was much clearer and pieces had started to fall into place. He still had to make a few enquiries but he believed by the end of the night, he’d be on top of everything that was going on at the Kim Mansion.

After a few trips to different places in Seoul, he was finally home at 11.30 pm. Woohyun, who opened the door for him, looked angry. He pointed to someone sitting on the sofa with a cup of coffee in front of him.

“Uh, Mr. Kim, this is a surprise.”

It wasn’t really, he'd been expecting him.

“Jaemin, please. Hyung, if you want to.”

He didn’t want to.

“Jaemin, is there something I can help you with?” he asked, sitting down in front of him.

“No – well, I just, I’m sorry for coming like this. I got your address from your business card that you left with our butler.”

“It’s alright, but why did you…”

Unlike his brother, he didn’t look anxious or afraid; he simply looked embarrassed.

“Just – I missed you?”

Woohyun scoffed lightly from beside him while Sungjong bit his lips.

“Okay…”

“I’m not gay, I mean I love this girl – well you read the lyrics right? But there’s something about you I – I know this isn’t right especially with -” He shook his head towards Woohyun who looked like he was controlling himself with difficulty. His hand was curled in a fist and he was trying not to look at Jaemin. “But sometimes you do what you have to do.”

"You do what you have to do?" Sungjong raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, why?"

"Nothing, that's an interesting point of view."

Jaemin shrugged. He was probably deciding what to say next.

Sungjong put his fingertips together and smirked.

“Jaemin, I have good news. I think the case is almost solved.”

Jaemin looked startled.

“So soon?”

“Yes, thanks to a few clues I gathered today. It was a rough day, lots of walking. I’m tired and it’s almost midnight, so if you don’t mind…”

Sungjong got up from the sofa, hands in his pockets. It pretty much meant he wasn’t going to say anymore and the conversation was over. Taking the hint, Jaemin stood up.

“I’m sorry,” he told Sungjong.

“Good night.”

Sungjong was already walking towards the bedroom. Jaemin’s eyes followed his figure until he disappeared through the door. He then turned to Woohyun.

“I’m really sorry.”

Woohyun groaned.

“The door’s this way.” He took him to the door. “And if Sungjong flirted with you, it was because of the case and it didn’t mean a thing.”

He slammed the door on the man, finally letting out a scream of frustration.

Between Sungjong’s indifference towards him and this slew of Sungjong’s good-looking fanboys, he was losing his patience. He knew what he had told Jaemin wouldn’t help Sungjong with his case, but he couldn’t control it. In fact, he might have messed something up for the younger but he found it a difficult to feel sorry when the younger was torturing him so much.

He almost stormed into the bedroom, only to find Sungjong already in the bed with his notebook in his hand.

“It’s alright, I had dinner already,” Sungjong said, not looking at him.

“Of course. I was awake straight for 48 hours, working, and I came back home and didn’t sleep a wink because I wanted to spend time with you but you walk out on me. Then I keep myself awake, waiting for you to come back and even cook for you but you’re not bothered at all. What am I to you?”

“Woohyun please, I’m working, can you keep it down?” Sungjong sounded irritated.

“Keep it down?” he roared. “I’m talking to you Lee Sungjong!”

Sungjong poked his head above his notebook.

“Tomorrow’s an important day for me - I think I cracked the case.” He put down the notebook on the bedside table and delved deeper into the blanket. “So I need a good night’s sleep.”

“That’s it? That’s all you care about? Have you been even listening to what I was saying?”

“Lights out please.”

Woohyun could only stand there, unable to utter a single word.

“Lights out!”

Woohyun slammed his fist down on the light switch, and marched out of the room, shutting the door behind him. He was too angry tobe anywhere near Sungjong; he actually had an urge to throw something at him. He'd rather spend the night on the couch.

He never could win with Sungjong; and he could never leave.