The Actors

Of Stage Lights

Sungjong clapped his hand together, rising from the seat.

“Right. First things first, when did this happen? When did you realize the key was missing and whom did you inform?” he asked the questions as he walked around the large drawing room slowly, completely ignoring Mr. Kim’s glares.

“Three days ago exactly, on the 15th. I had to get some papers out and that’s when I realized the key was missing. I told my family members only. At first I thought I had put it at some other place, although that would be highly improbable since I never do that. I searched every possible place. Oh and my personal butler, Dongwoo, knows. He has been in the family for 30 years.”

“Hmm,” Sungjong said, stopping in front of what looked like a family photograph on the mantelpiece in a silver frame.

This guy is obsessed with silver.

“And you don’t suspect your butler.”

“Not at all. And so shouldn’t you, I can vouch for him.”

Sungjong let out air through his mouth in slow motion.

“Unfortunately Mr. Kim, it’s in my nature to suspect everyone. Even you.”

He seemed to have touched a nerve as he heard the clatter of silver on the glass table. He didn’t look back to see Mr. Kim, instead he kept on watching the photo. It looked like it had been taken at least fifteen years ago. Mr. Kim looked younger and stunningly handsome. His wife was a pretty woman too but she looked timid and afraid of her husband. Between them was undoubtedly their son. He had taken after his father and had jet black eyes like him. His face was expressionless – he had to be the most stoic-looking teenager Sungjong had ever seen.

“What do you mean Mr. Lee? Why will I steal my own key? That’s utter nonsense!” His voice was raised and Sungjong couldn’t help but smile at this slip. It was a good thing he was turned away from Mr. Kim and couldn’t see his face.

Even great men have their limits.

“Well you could have Mr. Kim. To frame someone close to you – so that you could turn them out of the house? Someone whom you can’t get rid of without a reason, such as someone who deserves to be here? But I’m not saying that’s what happened. Time will tell everything.”

“How dare you say I want to get rid of my family?” Mr. Kim growled. Sungjong still didn’t turn back.

“Well, you don’t seem to be particularly fond of them.  There are so many of your pictures and achievements but almost none of your family. But,” He finally turned around and met Mr. Kim’s eyes. “It’s too early to tell. So you haven’t found the key?”

Sungjong could tell that the other man was fighting the urge to tell him to get out.

3, 2, 1…

“No,” Mr. Kim breathed, taking his seat and loosening the knot of his tie. “I have a spare one, and I’m keeping this on me all the time.” He pulled out the key from his pocket.

“Alright.” Sungjong walked up to him and taking the key in his hand, examined it. “It’s an old-fashioned locker I suppose?”

“It belonged to my grandfather.”

“Hmm…okay. So Mr. Kim, your family members, I have to meet them, and of course ask them some questions. I heard about your wife…I’m sorry.”

There was no change of emotion on Mr. Kim’s face as he nodded slightly. He pressed a small calling bell that was in his pocket and right on cue, the door he had come in through was thrown open. A group of people walked in and gathered behind the armchair Mr. Kim was sitting on. First to enter was a young man in his mid-twenties, who awfully resembled Mr. Kim. From his stoic face and jet black eyes, Sungjong could tell it was Mr. Kim’s son. Next to him was a slender young woman, clinging to his arm. She was pretty and looked about his age. She seemed a little startled by Sungjong but smiled at him nonetheless. Sungjong returned a smirk and fixed his eyes to the last two members of the party. One was a tall man, slightly older than Mr. Kim’s son. He had thin eyes and looked nervous; his hands in the pockets. The last man amused Sungjong the most as he looked completely like a younger version of Mr. Kim, yet had a completely different air. He wore a ruffled T-shirt that looked like it hadn’t been washed in ages and a pair of threadbare jeans. He almost stomped across the room, no sign of the elegance or stiffness the other Kims possessed. Looking openly shocked by Sungjong, he stopped in his tracks before continuing on. When he positioned himself behind Mr. Kim and had recovered from seeing Sungjong, he winked at him causing Sungjong to smile.

Mr. Kim jerked his head slightly and like magic, the entire family took their seats on the sofas laid out in front of them.

“They are the only ones living in the house at the moment.”

He pointed to his lookalike, who was sitting the closest to Sungjong and eyeing him with interest.

“This is my eldest son, Kim Jaemin.” Jaemin put up two of his fingers in a mock salute but seeing Mr. Kim’s disapproving glare, bowed.

“Kim Myungsoo, my youngest son.” He pointed at the stoic looking young man, who bowed stiffly, not meeting Sungjong’s eyes. “And his fiancée, Bae Suzy.” Suzy bowed and smiled at him, her hands still not leaving Myungsoo’s arm.

“And this is Suzy’s brother.” Mr. Kim pointed to the last man in the room, who got up immediately and plunged into a deep bow. “Sunggyu.”

Sungjong relaxed into his armchair as he watched the new additions to the room.

“Are you all aware of who I am and why I’ve been called here?”

Mr. Kim answered before anyone.

“Yes they do and they will co-operate fully.” He glared at them as if to add “Or else…”

“Brilliant!” Sungjong slapped his hands on his knees and got up. “Let’s get back to work. I will need to see your bedroom first Mr. Kim, along with the locker and its interior. Then I need to talk to each of you individually, preferably in your bedrooms. Is that okay?”

“Yes,” Mr. Kim said, getting up as well. It seemed like the rest of the family were not allowed to or didn’t want to talk in his presence.

Kim Jaejoong has full control over his family as well, impressive!

As he followed the businessman out of the drawing room and onto a large parlor, he looked around him carefully, trying to absorb the plan of the house into his brain. They then walked up a flight of marble stairs that led to the second floor.

Mr. Kim mentioned how all the bedrooms were on the second floor and everything else was on the first floor. His bedroom was almost the size of the drawing room, with a large King-sized bed and more expensive furniture. The décor was undoubtedly posh and the only out-of-place piece of furniture was the steel locker, looking old-fashioned and ancient.

“As you can tell, I changed all the furniture except for the locker.”

“Yes indeed.” Sungjong moved closer to the bed, scrutinizing it.

That’s strange…

“May I?” he held up the key Mr. Kim had given him downstairs and when the man nodded, he moved to the locker opening it. It was indeed packed with papers and jewelry boxes and more cash than Sungjong had ever seen in his life.

Ah yes, filthy rich. And this is just the family locker.

He looked at the inside closely, running his finger across a spot in the locker.

“You said nothing was taken.”

“That’s right,” Mr. Kim confirmed.

“That’s strange, are you sure? Would you take another look?” he moved away from the locker, letting Mr. Kim approach it. The man looked confused and scowled.

“I don’t think so. Everything is in place.”

Sungjong’s lips pulled into a crooked smile.

“You fail the observation test, Mr. Kim.” He held up a small black box that he had removed from inside the locker just seconds ago and hid behind his suit. Putting it down in its original place, he started to pace up and down the room while Mr. Kim, who still looked shocked, locked the locker.

“Well, there’s nothing else for me to see here. May I ask you some questions?”

Mr. Kim agreed silently. Sungjong sat down on the bed, caressing the sheets.

“Firstly, is there anyone you suspect?”

“Not the butler.”

“Okay…”

Mr. Kim let out a sigh.

“My eldest son - he’s whimsical and stupid.”

Sungjong could gather that he didn’t like his eldest son much but the hatred in his voice surprised him. He was his son after all.

“I see, it seems like you’re sure.”

“Almost, I don’t see who else would.”

“What about your son’s fiancée?”

“Never!” Mr. Kim seemed determined about it, so Sungjong didn’t argue any further. It seemed like Mr. Kim was entirely sure that it was the work of his eldest son.

“How does your schedule usually look like? And do you lock your room before leaving?”

“There’s no need to lock the door to my bedroom, Dongwoo is always around. And I usually leave around 8 am and return late, about 2 am.”

“So anyone can come into your room any time when you’re not here?”

“Dongwoo keeps a lookout.”

The detective clicked his finger and jumped to his feet.

“Well then, that’s all I have to ask you for now. I will go and talk to the rest of your family.”

“I have to go to work now. If you need anything, ask Dongwoo. And about your payment, I left a check with Dongwoo, that’s your advance. Once the case is solved, you’ll get the rest.”

“Perfect!”

Sungjong followed Mr. Kim out of the room. Dongwoo was waiting outside. Once Mr. Kim left, he turned to Dongwoo.

“Dongwoo is it?”

“Yes sir.”

“Right, can you take me to Mr. Jaemin’s room please?”

Dongwoo bowed and ushered him towards another large bedroom down the corridor from Mr. Kim;s room. Jaemin was sprawled across his bed with headphones in his ear, listening to music and moving his head from side to side. Once Dongwoo announced Sungjong’s presence over the music, he sat up on the bed and extended his hand towards him. Sungjong introduced himself.

“Nice to properly meet you. I hope you’re getting used to life without wings?”

Sungjong almost gagged at the bad flattery and said, unabashed, “It’s been alright.”

“Ah…so unfortunate you got to what I was going for and ruined it because now I can’t use my cheesy pick-up line.”

Jaemin was sort of Sungjong’s hand, while trying to look at him seductively but the younger showed no change in expression. His eyes were roving around the room, taking in as much as he could by sight.

“It’s sad how everyone I meet thinks I’m extremely good-looking and extremely gay.”

He jerked his hand out of Jaemin’s grip and moved towards the study table while Jaemin looked stunned.

“How old are you?” he asked, skimming through his album collection.

“Well, you are extremely pretty, and you’re gay right?”

Sungjong was silent as he moved onto the dusty books on the table and the mac book. Seeing he wouldn’t reply, Jaemin said, “25.”

“Right. Your brother’s 25 as well, isn’t he?”

Jaemin seemed taken aback and said, in a slightly trembling voice, “Yeah, but how did you know that?”

Sungjong picked up a diary.

“Read up on the Kim family beforehand. Funny how nowhere it mentions Mr. Kim has another son named Kim Jaemin. The photograph downstairs only showed Mr. and Mrs. Kim and Myungsoo.” He turned around to face the man. “But you can’t be adopted, you look too much like Mr. Kim. So I’m guessing you’re his illegitimate son?”

Jaemin’s face rapidly lost color and soon all traces of smile were wiped away from his face. He got to his feet and approached Sungjong, who didn’t move even when his face was inches away from his.

“Look, father probably suspects me, but I’m innocent. Yes I’m illegitimate and had been forced to be in the shadows all my life, but I’d never steal from him. Even though he hates me, and I’m a mistake, he brought me up and I’m grateful for that. I could’ve starved but I didn’t. I remember that.”

Sungjong touched his cheek briefly.

“Your father has his suspicions but I work on my own. I’m not using his brain to run this case.”

He pushed past the man, looking through the wash basket briefly before stopping in front of a guitar lying beside the bed.

“So what do you do for a living?”

Jaemin laughed wryly.

“I’m the son of a billionaire. I’m allowed to do nothing.”

Sungjong couldn’t say no to that.

“Do you play?” he asked, plucking a string of the guitar.

“Not really.” Jaemin made a face.

Sungjong plucked a few more strings.

“This is properly tuned; which means someone has been using it.”

Jaemin sighed, plopping down onto a chair in front of his study table.

“I wanted to be a singer, a musician. But I grew up looking too much like him so I wasn’t allowed to be a public figure. So I decided to do nothing.”

“That’s sad, with a face like yours, you could have been popular, if not for your musical abilities.” Sungjong handed him the guitar and moved onto the bedside table, picking up pieces of paper with scribbles on them.

“You write music. So tell me, how do you feel about your brother getting married?”

“What? Oh yeah -” Jaemin, who had started strumming the guitar strings softly, looked absent-minded. But a crooked smile re his face. “She’s hot, the fiancée.”

“I suppose you don’t have one – a lover I mean.”

Jaemin let out a laugh.

“How does that relate to the case?”

“I’m just trying to get to know the suspects better, that’s all. You don’t have to answer that by the way, your lyrics pretty much give away everything.”

Sungjong smiled at him while he looked positively baffled.

“I’m done here. Except…who do you suspect?”

Jaemin breathed in deeply.

“Honestly…the fiancée, I mean – it’s between us right?” When Sungjong confirmed the answer he bent down his head. “Put very simply, I think she’s a gold-digger.”

“Interesting. Well thanks for your thoughts. I might need to talk to you again.”

Sungjong was exiting the room when Jaemin said softly, “You are a strange person. Smart, but strange.”

Sungjong laughed. He had heard that before on countless occasions. He took it as a compliment.

“You bet.”