The Props

Of Stage Lights

 

Once outside the room, he looked around for Dongwoo but the butler was probably away so instead of going to find him, he walked to the next room and knocked on the door. It had to be one of the family member’s rooms and he needed to speak to all of them so it didn’t really matter whoever he got to first.

Surely enough, Myungsoo opened the door and fixed him with an emotionless look. He held the other’s gaze, and soon Myungsoo’s eyes looked bewildered. It was as if he had unlocked the inner Myungsoo and he was falling apart in front of him.

He turned his head away from him, unable to stand the intensity of his awfully sharp brown eyes.

“What do you want?”

“For starters, I want to come in and then I want to ask you some questions.”

Myungsoo paused a moment, probably trying to decide if to let him in or not, but then moved backwards, allowing him passage. This bedroom was larger than Jaemin’s and neater. Sungjong didn’t waste time – he started to go around the room, observing each and everything and mentally noting down anything that seemed important.

“I have to go to work soon,” Myungsoo said tersely.

“Okay, we’ll do this quickly. Where do you work? Your father’s office?”

“No, I run a business of my own. It’s different from my father’s.”

“I see, your biography fails to mention that. It seems like you work for your father. So,” Sungjong pondered loudly. “Who takes over once Mr. Kim retires?”

“I don’t think that would be a problem anymore,” Myungsoo muttered, avoiding eye contact.

Sungjong could tell that Myungsoo was trying to avoid his questions but he was not the one to give up.

“Care to explain?”

Myungsoo shrugged and folded his arms across his chest. It meant he wouldn’t give anything more and Sungjong wasn’t in a hurry. He had had difficult suspects before; not everyone was waiting to tell him everything he needed to know.

“Alright, let’s talk about something else. When are you getting married?”

“Wha - oh umm…something like – in a month probably.”

He cleared his throat and looked flustered. Sungjong watched him from the corner of his eyes – something didn’t seem right.

“Well congratulations!”

“Uh thanks.”

He checked his watch and bit his lips. Impatience was written all over his face.

“So do you have any idea about who stole the key?”

“Of course not. That’s your job, to figure it out, why are you asking me?” He sounded angry but Sungjong was used to dealing with all sorts of people so he didn’t mind. Besides, Myungsoo seemed more flustered than angry.

“It is indeed, and I will find out. Yes, I am smart enough to be a private investigator and the fact that I’m just absolutely gorgeous is an added bonus.”

Myungsoo swiveled his head towards Sungjong, looking thunderstruck. The detective had noticed the furtive glances the elder was sending his way and the look of disbelief and adoration was something he encountered often. Myungsoo was just another man after all and no matter how haughty or uninterested he tried to look at this moment, Sungjong was three steps ahead.

He smirked – he had caught his prey.

“Don’t worry, you’re not the first to think all those things about me. And in case you’re wondering, it’s not telepathy, but good observation and a sound knowledge of human psychology.”

Myungsoo’s face changed color and he looked scared.

“I have to go.”

After that, Myungsoo almost forced Sungjong out of his room, locking it behind him. He then marched down the stairs, not looking back at him. Sungjong was about follow in his steps but Dongwoo appeared, asking him whom he wanted to speak to next.

“Whoever’s available – how about you?”

The butler looked slightly baffled but recovered quickly.

He probably wasn’t expecting to be questioned.

“Sure Sir.”

“Where do you stay?”

“Downstairs, there is a guest bedroom I use. All the other servants live in the servants’ quarter, a separate building in the back yard.”

“Hmm.” Sungjong led the two of them down the stairs into the parlor. “Mr. Kim thinks you’d never steal the key. He also said you look after the household so it’s impossible for anyone to go into his room without you seeing them.”

Dongwoo ushered him towards another door that led to a small guestroom that served as his bedroom. Offering him a chair, Dongwoo sat down on the bed.

“I’ve served for over 30 years in this house. If I wanted to steal the key, I would have done it long ago. And it’s true I look after the household but someone could have easily slipped in and out unnoticed. I spend a lot of time downstairs as well, looking after a lot of household affairs. So…”

“Fair point.”

He thinks straight.

Sungjong stood up from his chair, and repeated his routine examination of the room.

“So who do you think did it?”

“I’m sorry Mr. Lee, but they are my masters, I can’t comment on this matter.”

“Fair enough, again. How is Mr. Kim normally? I mean you know all about him, do you think he loves his family? How was his relationship with Mrs. Kim?”

Dongwoo bowed his head.

“I’m sorry Sir, I can’t answer these questions. My master is a good man and I’m grateful for his generosity.”

Sungjong realized that Dongwoo was a typical ancestral butler who would die rather than dish the dirt on the family. He gave up, retreating to questions that the butler would find more prudent to answer.

“Is it possible for anyone from the outside to get into the house and steal it?”

“Absolutely not Sir, the house is well guarded,” he replied confidently.

“I thought so...” Sungjong said thoughtfully, brushing his lips with his finger. “Around what time does Mr. Myungsoo go to work usually?”

“His times are flexible. But he’s usually out between 8 am and 3 am.”

Sungjong raised an eyebrow.

“And his fiancée is fine with that?”

Dongwoo blinked a few times before stuttering, “W-well, she err…doesn’t mind I suppose…”

It didn’t take Sungjong to realize that Dongwoo wouldn’t produce anything important on interrogation. He decided not to waste his time on the butler.

“How understanding. Now shall we go and see her?”

Dongwoo jumped to his feet.

“Yes, uh she’s in the garden.”

Sungjong followed the butler through the doors and rooms out into the garden through a side door. It was a beautiful, well-kept garden with separate areas for vegetables and flowers. Suzy was hunched over a plot of bright yellow tulips, weeding and watering the plants. He told Dongwoo that he would take it from there and the butler left, looking slightly apprehensive.

“Hello Miss Bae, the tulips are beautiful.”

Suzy looked up, smiling radiantly. She got to her feet, dropping the watering can.

“Between me and the tulips, people usually compliment me,” Suzy said, winking at him.

Aha, two can play at that game.

“Between the free flowers and the engaged lady, I’d rather compliment the flowers.”

Sungjong offered her his signature crooked smirk and her eyes faltered for a moment. He was enjoying himself at the Kim Mansion. It was like watching a drama, getting to know the characters one by one. He could practically see the stage lights blinking overhead. Every character he had met so far was interesting and he wondered what else was in store.

“Maybe we can move this meeting to your bedroom?”

There was a mischievous twinkle in Suzy’s eyes all of a sudden and Sungjong realized his voice had come off a bit too flirtatious. In fact, that was his usual voice and that’s how he normally spoke but depending on the person he was talking to, he could change it from somber to absolutely annoying.

“I mean I just wanted to look around. I’m looking into everyone’s bedroom. You know, basic detective protocol.”

Suzy had a knowing smile on her lips and Sungjong laughed inwardly, knowing she had formed the completely wrong idea.

“Something tells me you don’t really follow protocols,” she slurred, her smile deepening.

I wish Myungsoo could see you now, he thought. Aloud he said, “You’re spot on. But I do mean business, so shall we, Suzy?”

Her smile broadened.

“I was under the impression you had already seen it. I saw Myungsoo rushing out from the house all impatient, so I assumed you had talked with him. Id don’t know anyone who can make him so flustered.”

Oooh, she is clever.

She seemed to be the perfect person who could give him the most valuable information and since she was an outsider of sorts, she didn’t owe any loyalty to the Kim family. He could sense that she wouldn’t be one of the traditional types of daughter-in-law who would be scandalized by family gossip. He had to play along with her.

“I did. Although, he wasn’t a whole lot of help. I suspect he’s, I’m sorry but, scared of his father perhaps?”

“More like he can’t stand him. But that’s what this family’s all about – they hate each other.”

They had started walking towards the house and Suzy was walking slowly on purpose. Sungjong didn’t try to speed her up; instead he focused on her face as she spoke. He kept his tone to that low flirtatious level and smiled a bit more which seemed to suit her perfectly. He realized through the conversation that she was indeed very clever and knew and saw way more than anyone else. However, he also realized she was extremely cautious and didn’t make any slips that would arouse any suspicion about her and her brother. Sungjong thought that was an incredible feat but he wouldn’t give up as well – he upped his game, pushing a bit more, steering the questions towards her personal life. He found out that Suzy’s older brother, Sunggyu was the only family she had and he was two years older than her, 27. She used to work in Mr. Kim’s office as a junior secretary and met Myungsoo when he visited his father at the office. That was how their relationship had grown and she had quit her job two months ago. She had been living in the Kim Mansion ever since, and since Mr. Kim was generous enough, he offered Sunggyu to move into the house.

Out of all the characters he had met so far, Suzy had to be the best at acting and the most fascinating.

“I see,” Sungjong said, showing no surprise that they were in Myungsoo’s bedroom. He had half expected Suzy to be staying with Myungsoo, although he had seen no feminine products out in the open. He suspected they were within the abundant pieces of furniture throughout the room. “So what are you doing now?”

“Nothing. I mean I go out sometimes, spa and beauty salon, and sometimes I go shopping. And I love gardening so even though we have three gardeners, I help out. But isn’t that the best thing about being Mrs. Kim? You don’t have to do anything because everything’s yours.”

Sungjong had to agree to that.

“But you said Mr. Kim doesn’t get along with his son, so you never know if he’s going to inherit it all.”

She threw her head back and laughed.

“It’s alright, the old man will come around.”

They talked for over an hour and it was Sungjong’s genuine pleasure to unearth the hidden bits and pieces of information under Suzy’s flirtatious comments and answers. He played along but when he felt her hands lacing them around his slowly, he decided it was time to leave.

“So can you take me to your brother’s room? We’re keeping him from his work, aren’t we?”

“Ah, must you leave? When are we meeting again?” she whined.

He took the lead towards the door.

“Well I’ll be around, as long as this investigation is on.”

He winked at her.

“I hope you don’t solve the investigation anytime soon then.”

She dropped him off to Sunggyu’s room, where the man was poring over a magazine. He introduced himself, saying he worked for Cube Entertainment, an entertainment company. His job kept him away from home from 7am in the morning to 10 or 11 pm in the night. He said that he spent most of the time at home in his room, reading magazines or watching movies. He hadn’t seen anyone enter Mr. Kim’s room instead of himself and seemed to know nothing about the confrontation in the family.

“He’s a little stupid,” Suzy had told Sungjong about Sunggyu and that did seem like true. Speaking to him didn’t produce any valuable results and a brief skim through his rooms gave nothing away.

Unless, this is just an act…

“Are you happy then, with this life of yours?” Sungjong asked, fixing him with a piercing glare. Sunggyu shrugged.

“Nothing’s bad. I mean I sort of have everything.”

“Girlfriend?”

“I…no umm I just…”

“You’re a fan of Hyuna,” Sungjong commented, looking at the posters all over the walls.

“I’m her manager.”

Sungjong smirked.

“Oh, I’m a fan.”

“Really? I can arrange a meeting for you. She’d like you.”

A shadow passed behind his eyes but he seemed to shake it off. Sungjong could safely say the man was lying but he didn’t understand why he would lie about something like this.

Thanks for the blatant lie, now I know you’re not all mundane.

“Umm I was kidding, I’m not a fan.” He laughed but Sunggyu looked shocked. “But thanks anyways. See you around.”

Sungjong found Dongwoo and handing him some of his business cards with his phone number and address in case Mr. Kim needed to contact him, told him that he had talked to everyone and was done looking at their rooms.

“But I need to come back and do some snooping around again. Tell Mr. Kim it’s all under control.”

When he got out of the house, he saw Suzy on the balcony of the second floor, waving at him. He waved back, shaking his head slightly as he thought about Myungsoo.

He’s gotten himself into a right mess.

Sungjong went straight to his apartment. There he would have to note down all the important things he had heard and learned today and then do what he was best at – think.

His methods were different from the police – he put his brain to use more than his legs or his revolver. And his greatest clues were people rather than places or things. So a few hours of quiet time would do him more good than anything and that was what he planned to get at his apartment.

He needed to check out some places and people since he knew that even the most innocent of his suspects had lied to him; no matter how small the lie was, he’d need to look into it. At this moment, everyone was a suspect, and by tomorrow, he needed to change that and narrow the list down.